H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Planning to go to Canada for stamping, issues with J-1

Hi guys,

Do any of you know if the U.S. Consulates keep records of prior applications for U.S. Visas? I'm going to Canada for my H-1 stamping, and was wondering if they can get my records from the U.S. Consulate in my home country. By records I mean copies of applications, passports, etc.

I came to the U.S. on J-1 7 years ago, but don't have the passport in which it was stamped and which I used to go back home. Thus, I don't have the stamp in my passport when I arrived in my home country which means that I don't have a proof of departure from the U.S. And depending on this date of departure, my 2-year home residency requirement is fulfilled.

But, after spending some time at home, I came back to the U.S. on F-1, and I'm assuming when was applying for this visa, I mentioned on my DS-156 when I was in the U.S. and when I came back. So, is there any way that the U.S. Consulate in Montreal could obtain a copy of my application for F-1 visa which I did several years ago from the U.S. Consulate in my home country? Or, would the U.S. Consulate in my home country even keep these records?

Thanks a lot!!
Greg

hello gurus
i got h1b revalidated from toronto in 2003, now i have to go to canada again for another term revalidation. but my canadian pr card is going to expire in feb 2008. my appointment for h1 visa is in december 07. not sure if canadian or us immigration will raise any objection on the expiring pr card. any comments will be appreciated.

Canadian PR has nothing to do with your H-1B revalidation. As long as you are able to enter Canada (using PR card or by any other mean) and have a justification for traveling to Canada, you should be okay.

I believe having a "common" first and/or last name is more likely to result in a lengthy name check than having a "muslim" first/last name. Just to let you know, every applicant undergoes a name check. Having an uncommon name makes it less likely to have a "hit". A "hit" causes delays since that needs human intervention.

Correct, I read somewhere, for the same reasons Latinos too encounter similar issue (by possessing common name).

For h1bquestions2

Did you submit the I-94 during your exit from the U.S. on J-1 visa? If you did then you should be okay as your departure record will be created. Now, I realize that, you did obtained a new passport from your home country. I would keep the documented evidence of the passport loss, handy.

Advanced Payroll Rocks !!! Good to see the clearance being issued within a month's time.
I appeared for H1B stamping in Ottawa on July 31st 2007. I am from Pakistan and my last name is also a common Muslim name. They gave me a white paper in which they mentioned that they require further processing on this case. I came back to USA using my advance parole. I got mail on August 24, 2007 that they got clearance I have to go to Canada again to get my visa stamp on my passport Thanks God no more visas stamping headache till June 2010. I hope I will get the green card by that time. If you have any question please e mail me cpahelp999@yahoo.com. Any body going to Canada please contact me

So now what would be the status of Tanveer here in US as s/he used AP?

Originally Posted by manwithnoname
Advanced Payroll Rocks !!! Good to see the clearance being issued within a month's time.
Originally Posted by tanveer666
I appeared for H1B stamping in Ottawa on July 31st 2007. I am from Pakistan and my last name is also a common Muslim name. They gave me a white paper in which they mentioned that they require further processing on this case. I came back to USA using my advance parole. I got mail on August 24, 2007 that they got clearance I have to go to Canada again to get my visa stamp on my passport Thanks God no more visas stamping headache till June 2010. I hope I will get the green card by that time. If you have any question please e mail me cpahelp999@yahoo.com. Any body going to Canada please contact me
So now what would be the status of Tanveer here in US as s/he used AP?

Upon landing on AP, Tanveer666's H-1B is not stamped - he will be treated as 'Adjustee' and can only work on EAD. Later, he got his H-1B - however, the 'H' status will not be automatically re-instated ... all depends whether he used the EAD or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
H1 Stamping mexico/canada?

Hello immigration gurus,

Im travelling to india on 12th december. want to get my H1 stamped before that. need your advice and guidance....appreciate your time...

Case:
---------
1. came to US Nov 2004 with H1 stamped in chennai
2. Visa expired Jan 2007
3. Educational Qualification: BE from indian university

Questions:
------------
1. i dont have degree from US/canadian university. will that be an issue?

2. which country/counsulate is better suited to my case. Even though i live in ohio which is closer to canada, i can travel to mexico if that is a better place.

3. i heard mexico/canada counsulates stamp only if appointment date is less than an year from expiry of prevoius visa.....hope that 'll not effect mine as i'm planning to get stamped in december.

Appreciate any thoughts, advice/guidance in my case....

Thanks!!!

Answers below:
1. U.S. consulates in Canada/Mexico cannot evaluate educational credentials ooutside of U.S. - therefore I would recomend you to carry the educational evaluation.
2. I would not worry about the consulate if my case is well prepared (with paystub, W2, employer letter, etc).
3. Not correct, the one year limit was imposed for the visa revalidation by Department Of State - currently this is discontinued after 2004.

Thanks manwithnoname, for the quick response...
it really helped me...as this 'll be my first revalidation stamping...

I've with me education evalution done in 2004 (when i applied H1)...will that suffice? or do i need to get a fresh evaluation?

i think i've all other documentation with me.....
nearest consulates for me would be toronto and ottawa.....which one do you recommend?

H1B Stamping from Ottawa

Hi,
My name is Lateef Sagar Shaikh. I am Pakistani. I have got an appointment for H1 stamping for 10-Dec-2007 from Ottawa. I am worried that how much time would I need to wait to collect the passport after interview. I've heard that for Pakistanis they take 1-2 months.

Please tell me if any one has such experience from Ottawa. Is there any comman name issue? Is it better to go to Toronto or Ottawa or Pakistan? These days situation in Pakistan is not good. Here I have a job and I am unable to get long leave. Please suggest what should I do.

Please reply ASAP.

depends

the objective data shows that the average delay in stamping is 97 days. the spread is (7-266 days). so can be the lucky one and get it early. the paper given by the consulate is called 221g you can do a search for that.

http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=267442

this data is from trackers in 2006-2007. about 50 cases in canada. some off them are indians and non muslim.

good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Upon landing on AP, Tanveer666's H-1B is not stamped - he will be treated as 'Adjustee' and can only work on EAD. Later, he got his H-1B - however, the 'H' status will not be automatically re-instated ... all depends whether he used the EAD or not.

Thanks manwithnoname. Let me understand this with the help of sqome quesries and your replies:

1) if Tanveer used EAD. Mater is over as far as H1 is concerned. S/he can
not go back to H1...

2) If S/he has not used EAD then S/he can work only as H1. In case of
Tanveer, s/he has valid H1 visa now (As H1 revalidated), Old I-94 as it
might not be surrendered and parolee status now. Now being Parolee what
is the process to keep working on H1?

Hi,
My name is Lateef Sagar Shaikh. I am Pakistani. I have got an appointment for H1 stamping for 10-Dec-2007 from Ottawa. I am worried that how much time would I need to wait to collect the passport after interview. I've heard that for Pakistanis they take 1-2 months.

Please tell me if any one has such experience from Ottawa. Is there any comman name issue? Is it better to go to Toronto or Ottawa or Pakistan? These days situation in Pakistan is not good. Here I have a job and I am unable to get long leave. Please suggest what should I do.

Please reply ASAP.

At what stage are you in for Green Card? You need to provide here details of your Green card like PD, I-140, 485 filing etc.If I would be you and if I see my Green Card 1 to 2 years away mostly I would try not to travel out for any reason. If you are in USA, H1/4 visa expired, it does not matter as long as you do not go out.Agree, due to current scenario in Pakistan , travel is highly risky and opting Canada for revalidation may force you to stay in Canada for linger. If you choose to go to Canada I would advise to have multiple entry visitior visa of canada rather than single entry so in case needed you can stay in Canada for longer.You should also look into having approval from your employer to work online remotely from Canada in case you may have to stay there for longer. If you are renting an apartment, you will have to work out rents, lease etc prior to travel to Canada. Carry ALL OF YOUR ORIGINALS and IMPORTANT DOCS with you on top of what visa office may require.

Hi,
I am on H1, and my employer has not employed for GC. Can I get Advance parole in this case? or any other document that can allow me to come back to US in case of delay in canada for H1 restamping?

Hi,
I am on H1, and my employer has not employed for GC. Can I get Advance parole in this case? or any other document that can allow me to come back to US in case of delay in canada for H1 restamping?

Advanced Parole is a travel document mainly autorized for immigrant applicants. Since you are non immigrant, it would not be aplicabale to you. You have only one option to come back and that is valid H1 visa.

Thanks manwithnoname. Let me understand this with the help of sqome quesries and your replies:

1) if Tanveer used EAD. Mater is over as far as H1 is concerned. S/he can
not go back to H1...

2) If S/he has not used EAD then S/he can work only as H1. In case of
Tanveer, s/he has valid H1 visa now (As H1 revalidated), Old I-94 as it
might not be surrendered and parolee status now. Now being Parolee what
is the process to keep working on H1?

Agreed, during entry to Canada, the border officials will not ask for I-94 - it's personal responsibility to hand over that. But that may complicate the case to work on H-1B ...

Tanveer666? are you listening?? Are you working on H-1B now? Did you worked on EAD immediately on your return to U.S.?

Agreed, during entry to Canada, the border officials will not ask for I-94 - it's personal responsibility to hand over that. But that may complicate the case to work on H-1B ...

Tanveer666? are you listening?? Are you working on H-1B now? Did you worked on EAD immediately on your return to U.S.?

Thanks. I hope we hear something from Tanveer666. What I feel is that, if The purpose of keeping H1 status live is not solved by entering back as parolee then whatever efforts s/he did put and went through hell for visa revalidation in canada has gone in vain.

Getting Canadian Visit visa

Hi,
I am going to Ottawa, Canada with my wife for H1 restamping on 10 Dec 2007. I need information on how to get Canadian visit visa? Which documents are required? I have Pakistani degree is it going to create some problem, and we got our first stamping from Pakistan last year. Please tell me about your recent experince regarding questions asked and documents rquired for Ottawa (USA Embassy).

Is it fine to go to Canada by road or should we go by air?

Please reply soon