H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Newbie help

My Visa expired on 2006 and my H1B is valid till 2010. But I need to travel to India on an emergency and wanted to know the documents I need to get my Visa stamped. I plan to go to Canada to get my visa stamping. Also any advice on whether to visit Ottawa or Toronto will be appreciated,

thanks!

Hi friend, I suggest Ottawa is the best place to get the stamp easily.
in my case, the interview was done with in a minute.plz note DS156 & DS157 forms are must. they ask me
when u come canada?
who is ur employer?
how long u working?
show ur degree convigation?
who is ur employer in US?
Thats all!!!

Than q

Experience of unsuccessful Landing at Windsor. Denial by officer. Scotia bank draft?

Anybody interested for USD $131 draft(Scotia bank) for Canadian Embassy USA visit? Please contact at below contact#.

---

Dear Canadian PR applicant,

My relative tried to land in Canada(Windsor, Ontario) border by car. But officer denied to let him land/in.
Myself is Canadian PR holder(might be expired now?), and 5.5 years USA GC holder.

Here is the interesting detailed story. I hope, it will be useful for some of you.

1. Candidate applied in November 2002 for Canadian PR.

2. Candidate was working/living in India at that time. Born Indian citizen.

3. Candidate applied for Canadian PR from Singapore using services of KAM International, Canada.
Experience with KAM INTERNATIONAL is our WORST paid services experience ever.
At one point, we found, KAM/they are most careless staff people, then we took charge of the application by ourselves.
They never respond our call back. Even in this case of denial, KAM/they denied for any kind of appeal against this decision.
Well, for KAM, I can write separate big story book. If anybody wants to know, ask me more.

4. Candidate moved to USA in Oct 2004 on H1 visa of IT field.

5. Candidate got medical papers in 2006 end. Candidate did medical in India in early 2007, because he was visiting India at that time.
Note: If you do so, please let your embassy know, to pick up papers from New Delhi. Otherwise, New Delhi Canadian embassy will not mail your papers to your embassy(in our case, Singapore).

6. Candidate was not having enough points. But, after providing 'English Proficiency Letter'. Singapore officer gave/stamp him visa in passport.

7. Candidate reached to Windsor border last day, when one hour was left. Due to snow storm, and longer queue at border, candidate was late by 2 hours than expected. Though, 1 hour earlier than expiring date.

8. Officer(male) threatened him very first. You just came now when less than 1 hour is left. I will make you sit outside for sometime, then time will be over, and you might not be able to land.
Note: There were 6 officers in that office.

9. After reading whole case, officer denied for landing. Officer said that, you don't have enough points. Even, Singapore office approved and stamped the visa.
Note: At the Canadian border, Immigration officer can deny for your landing.

10. Officer told him, If I will reject your case, then your spent fees will be wasted. So, sign this paper, and then you can apply again at no cost. Paper said that, "I am voluntarily denying for Canadian PR".
Any comments???

11. Then Candidate came back to USA border. USA border officials took his I-94 from I-797 paper.

12. Candidate drove to home back in USA.

While officer denied, I too was there. I argued using certain points. But officer said, you can't change my decision.
Later, officer came out, and handed over our papers. At that time, officer said(or excused), "I have to answer our upper officials etc.". I said, "Your point system is broken, and you are denying the guy, who is making $70/hour in USA". Officer agreed up on these points. But, he didn't changed his decision. While leaving his office complex, he made sure, we are going to USA side and not Canada side.

Any comment?
How he can appeal?
Is it recommended to send application again in Detroit/Buffalo?

Well, one more thing, candidate had Ottawa, ON US embassy appointment. So, we took $131 USD DRAFT from Scotia bank. In fact, my friend took it. But due to this fail landing, candidate cannot visit USA embassy at Ottawa. And now he cannot get refund of DRAFT. Though, someone else can use it. Anybody interested? May be, I can give you at discounted price.

Contact me at: 1-708-691-3876.
Chicago.

Thanks,

Well, about landing in Canada your relatives case wasn't the first I heard of, anyway, the immigration officer possess the right to deny landing even if the visa was issued.

Last edited by a moderator:
How to appeal against Canada Landing Denial at border (even passport is stamped)

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/recourse-recours/menu-eng.html

Disagreements, reviews and appeals FeaturesIn this section

Fair treatment and a commitment to your rights are fundamental pillars that guide our relationship.

Although most of our dealings are straightforward, sometimes a person or organization disagrees with us about an assessment or decision we've made.

When that happens, we want to resolve the disagreement as quickly and easily as possible.

Some disagreements are caused by a lack of information or by a simple miscommunication. That's why we say: "Talk to us".

For instance:

If you have a disagreement at an airport or border crossing, talk to the border services officer or superintendant while you're there. After the fact, you can contact one of our offices.

After talking to us, you may not be satisfied with our answer. One of your rights is the right to a formal review.

Our review process differs according to what's in disagreement or dispute.

Learn more about what to do in specific situations:

Formal Review
Customs/Border
Importations

Canadian International Trade Tribunal
Canada Federal Court
Supreme Court of Canada

Hey goel_ar,

Everyone picks up their passport the next day from the consulate. The consulate will give you a receipt for your passport after your appt/interview. Show that receipt between 3-4pm (pick up time) the next day at the security office outside the consulate and they will give you your passport. The owner of the passport can have someone else pick up the passport for him/her just as long the receipt is shown. This was my experience at the Toronto consulate. I am not sure about other US consulates in Canada.

Hey United - Did you show the red/white slip at the window? Is the passport pickup on the front-side or is it on the back-side (the side where we go the first time) ?

Toronto H1 Stamping Experience - 02/06/2008

I had Visa stamping interview on 02/06/2008 -8:30 in the morning.

Was frisked through the security; handed the forms to the lady outside the door and passport to lady inside and was sent through the door where other candidates were seated.

My name was called after 15 minutes by a guy on the far right window for fingerprinting. Completed that and waited again.

Then the IO called my name, and the interview was as follows -

IO: Hi, H1 stamping?
Me: Yes.
IO: How long have you been in the US
Me: 6 years
IO: Can I see your previous petitions?
Me: Sure (I gave all my previous petitions)
IO: So, you have been working for the same employer since you landed in US?
Me: Yes
IO: Has your employer filed your Green Card?
Me: Yes
IO: Show me the approved I140 copy
Me: Sure (I gave her the copy)
IO: (Gave me red/white slip) Pick up your passport on 02/12 i.e. Tuesday (4 Business Days)

That was it.

Picked up the passport on Tuesday; checked my Visa for any corrections needed: 3 years, name, passport number, WAC # etc on the Visa and drove back. At the Border (by road) they will not issue a new I94 - they will just attach the one, which came with the H1 petition (green one) to the passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
H1B Stamping - Toronto

Took me (H1B) & wife (H4) 2 business days. It was an Extension.
Was not expecting it in 2, but 4 days, so was pleasantly surprised. However, I met two other guys from the same day - For one guy, he got the approval the same day as mine, whereas for another guy, it took 4 bus days. So not sure what procedure they are using!

Toronto H1B appointment?

Could you share with me how you managed to get an appointment at Toronto? I have been trying for that for sometime and the appointment calendar on the web always shows, no appointments for Toronto?

Did you keep your I-94 that came with I-797 extension notice or did you submit it?
Did you have to take the original Full I-797 letter or just the stub at the bottom along with I-94?

My wife was on H-4, then switched status to F-1 and now has approved AP and EAD, if she accompanies me, does she have to submit her I-94's or can she keep them since this is just a short visit?

You need the whole I-797 form (without the bottom right I-94 part) at the consulate. During emigrating, the I-94 may not be asked for (that's the normal case to Canada) ... whatever maybe the case, please ask for a new I-94 during re-entry.

The latest I-94 (obtained from change / extension of status) overrides all the previous I-94s even if they were valid.

Reciprocity Fees for H1-b?

I have been reading the forums and noticed a lot of people have mentioned a reciprocity fee that sometimes is charged by the person conducting the interview is this still the case for the consulate in Toronto? If so how do they determine if you owe them this fee? I didn't see anything in detail about it on their website. I'm headed to Toronto on the 12th for h1-b stamping and just wanted to make sure if I needed to get any more fees processed or be ready to pay more.

Thanks

Ottawa stamping expeirence

My wife (H1 extension) and I (H1 extension) had an appointment at Ottawa on Feb 25th. Questions were very simple for both of us. I got my passport on 26th but for my wife got it on 28th because of PIMS. My H1 petition was approved in August 2006 while my wife's petition was approved in Jan 2008. I think, it took more time for my wife because her case got approved on recently.

Stamping is very simple at Ottawa just because of new PIMS most of the times it takes 2 days but in some case 4 days.

Toronto Appointment Experience

This forum has been very helpful for me so I wanted to post my experience from the Toronto consulate today:

I'm a Pakistani citizen on a H-1B visa, went to consulate at 9:00 am, went thru security quickly, waited in line to have docs checked at counter.

Then they fingerprinted which went really quickly and then was called for interview about 30 minutes later.

Questions were very basic: 1) can you please show your old passports 2) please show previous H-1b paperwork 3) describe what kind of work you do for your company.

The VO told me that my application had to go for administrative review and could take 2 to 3 weeks after which I will be notified via email and then can come back to the consulate to drop off my passport and get visa stamped within 2 business days.

I had a couple of quick questions:

1) They kept my current I-797 along with my D-156 & D-157 but returned my passport, is that standard procedure? Or should they have given me back my I-797.

2) Has anyone else gone thru this review recently? How long has it taken?

Thanks

My brother's brother-in-law, a Pakistani citizen like you, had his interview in Toronto on November 21st 2007. He was also told that his visa application needs to undergo administrative review. Not to scare you, but he still hasn't received an email yet to deposite his passport. He has contacted them twice for updates only to be told to keep waiting.
Good luck!!!

Triple,

Thanks for the feedback, did they tell your brother in law it would take 2 to 3 weeks or they just told him that he should wait to hear from them? Also does he have a very common Muslim name?

Thanks

Firstly, the person is my brother's brother-in-law, not mine :)
Secondly, he too was told 2-3 weeks and both his first and last names are common. He stayed in Toronto for 3 weeks and is now cooling his heels in Karachi waiting for the coveted email.

did they tell your brother in law it would take 2 to 3 weeks or they just told him that he should wait to hear from them? Also does he have a very common Muslim name?

Thanks

Hi, I had an interview at vancouver in February yes they have my I797 initially i was told to get my passport with visa but later own they called and said they have to carry on a name check since then i am stranded in Canada...I took back my passport. I am going to India if i dont hear in a week.

Does any one know what i can do or try to do for follow ups.....I have registered with National academies .......i call DOS every 2 days email the consulate but nothing happens.....

This forum has been very helpful for me so I wanted to post my experience from the Toronto consulate today:

I'm a Pakistani citizen on a H-1B visa, went to consulate at 9:00 am, went thru security quickly, waited in line to have docs checked at counter.

Then they fingerprinted which went really quickly and then was called for interview about 30 minutes later.

Questions were very basic: 1) can you please show your old passports 2) please show previous H-1b paperwork 3) describe what kind of work you do for your company.

The VO told me that my application had to go for administrative review and could take 2 to 3 weeks after which I will be notified via email and then can come back to the consulate to drop off my passport and get visa stamped within 2 business days.

I had a couple of quick questions:

1) They kept my current I-797 along with my D-156 & D-157 but returned my passport, is that standard procedure? Or should they have given me back my I-797.

Thanks