H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Hi Subary,

I am in a similar situation. I am going to Ottawa for H1B stamping in Sept., 2007. My current I-797 expires 19-Nov-2007. I already have my approved 3-years extension (with the same employer) and I have the correstponding I-797 starting 20-Nov-2007.

If I go for H1B stamping would they give me a visa based on the current I-797i.e. for 2-months only or they can give visa for the duration of the extension as well. And how do I apply, shall I give them both I-797's or?

If you have any experience with that any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

You have to furnish the latest I-797 number (BTW - they will be same for an extension case). Also, you can get your H-1B stamped at the most 10 days earler than the start date mentioned on your new I-797. Someone with an experience can answer your question better.

I appeared for H1B stamping in Ottawa on July 31st 2007. I am from Pakistan and my last name is also a common Muslim name. They gave me a white paper in which they mentioned that they require further processing on this case. I came back to USA using my advance parole. I got mail on August 24, 2007 that they got clearance I have to go to Canada again to get my visa stamp on my passport Thanks God no more visas stamping headache till June 2010. I hope I will get the green card by that time. If you have any question please e mail me cpahelp999@yahoo.com. Any body going to Canada please contact me

Advanced Payroll Rocks !!! Good to see the clearance being issued within a month's time.

if h4 stamp is already there, I do not see the need of h1b stamp. Perhaps it is wise to wait for h1b stamp until the next visit to India.
I have heard that if h1b visa is denied for some reason, she can re-enter using her h4 visa in such cases.
Just my thoughts.

I don't think it is possible to work on H-4 stamp after a re-entry. The new I-94 (issued during re-entry) will override the H-1B approval notice. Of course the officer will honour the H-4 stamp in the passport only.

H1B stamping in Canada

My current H1B status expires in March 2008. I will be filing for an extension 90 days prior to the expiration of my current status.
I have never left the country since I got my H1B status. I am wondering if I should go to Canada to get my visa stamped in my passport now or if i should wait until I file for an extension first. I am afraid that they might not stamp the visa in my passport just for 6-7 months if I decide to go to Canada now. I will appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you very much for your help.

Hutch

Hi Anyone With Information Regarding Change Of Employement On J1 Waiver...does It Have To Go Through The Conrad 30....one Particular State Doh Told Me That It Need Not Go Through The State Conrad 30 The Dhs Just Needs To Know If It Is A Mua/hpsa And The Reason For Transfer Is Legimitate...i Am Looking Under Personal Reason...

Stamping of H1B visa from Canada or India

I went to India in march 2006 and got the stamped visa. I was stuck for 4 months because of security clearance having common name. Now I do want to face the same situation when I go again for the visa stamping. Kindly let me know what are the alternatives I have to get stamped Visa. I heard that secuirty clearance is only for a year. So by now it must have been expired and they will again hold me back for 5-6 months.

Please show me right direction.

H1-B Toronto Consulate ( I-797B, no I-824 Filed)

Since I read immigration portal often, seeking for similar incidents like mine and getting relevant information all the time, I decided to post my H1-B visa experience here.

This is my first H1-B, (US Degree, F1 Status). When my petition was approved, I received a I-797B. Change of status was not approved, not sure why but probably due to expiration of OPT (31st May 07), don't quote me on that, I never left the US during the H1-B application or someother reason. Anyway I decided to enroll in Kaplan, (great idea for a backup), Since Visa appointments are hard to get in my home country, infact US Visa is very difficult, since you have to prove... etc, I had no plans to get my visa from home, as stated on my I-797B but it also states if you're changing consulates, you need to file I-824 or something. Those who have I-797B know what am talking about. just read the fine print.

So basic facts... USCIS has a backlog of I-824. When I did my research, USCIS was processing I-824's for Dec 2005, hope they're now on 2006. Filing that document was not an option, but hey I hadn't ruled it out completely since I noticed from some postings here, or other site, that folks like me had filed the I-824 (which is now approx: $300)and used the recipt at the consulate.

I didn't want ot spend the money, obviously also talked to my lawyer friend to get his opinion, and he didn't think it was necessary to do that, although he wasn't sure. There is no 100% answer here, so I decided not to file.

Luckily my company plans fell through and I went to canada, on a canadian work permit (So school option was out, I'd enrolled in school for now a month)

On September 7th 2007, With all my heavy package full of all documents that support my petition, originals dug from every corner, believe me, I was leaving no stone unturned, I headed out to the american consulate in Toronto for my 8:00am appointment. Got lost, arrived at 8:15 or less.

So this is the part your waiting for huh? Well when they say you'll be at the consulate for 2hrs, believe me it is 2hrs. I was there for something close to 2 hours, and only talked to officials for a total of 5minutes. So the other 55minutes, or 45minutes, depending on how long I was there, I was just waiting in line.

On entrance, you're asked for your forms (DS 156,157) and put them in the folder given. The lady never asked for my H1-B, but figured it made sense to include it. Then I was on my way to the waiting line.

Was in line for maybe 10-15 minutes, and walked up to the window. The lady there was very polite and wonderful, She only told me "You're applying for H1-B", I answered "Yes", she glanced at my I-797, then looked at my DS-156, I had my home country address, she asked me to change it to a canadian address since I was now living in canada, and also change my number. That took 1.5 - 2 minutes.

I was off to another wait, this wait was long for about 30 or 35 minutes, my name was called for fingerprinting. I went, said "Hello" and quietly took my finger prints, this was about a minute and I was back to waiting

Another 40-45 minutes later, I was called to the final window. Guess this is where the interview takes place. well not to disappoint you I was there for 2minutes, if you include the time it took for me to walk from my seat to the booth or window, then say 5 minutes. :) am a slow walker, you might say.
She asked me... "So you where F1, what school?" I told her, then "When did you graduate", "What did you do then" I answered "OPT", then she said, we're done.

By now you've noticed that my heavy package with all my supporting documents, has not at any one point been asked for. Each experience is different, it is important to be prepared and wish all of you the best.

Oh, btw, I didn't notice this till later, but somewhere along the way, My F1 Visa was stamped "Cancelled without prejudice".

Hope this helps, someone.

Help Neede to revalidation of H1 and H4 Visa

Gurus.....I need some experts advise.

I filed my I-485 during the month of June this year. I did not applied for advance parole. Due to my brother's wedding, I need to visit India in next couple of months. Due to large number of filings during the month of June/July, the chances of getting AP is very slim even if I apply now. I have an approved H1 visa until 2010 without stamping on my passport.

Keeping in view of above information how safe is to visit Canada for stamping.

Is it legal to leave US for H1 stamping?

I also rquest the experts to through some light on their experience at Toronto.

Thanks in advance.

SRK

Ottawa Experience

I appeared for H1B stamping in Ottawa on July 31st 2007. I am from Pakistan and my last name is also a common Muslim name. They gave me a white paper in which they mentioned that they require further processing on this case. I came back to USA using my advance parole. I got Email on August 24, 2007 that they got clearance.

I went to Canada again on September 10th 2007 Monday. Although the embassy opens at 8.00 clock but they let us in by 7:45. everybody has to appear on window no 7 where a lady accept your documents .the lady told me please have a seat your visa might be ready after 5 minutes a VO told me its not ready but it will be ready by 3 clock you can come at three clock he gave me red pick slip . I went to embassy at 3 clock and pick up my passport with visa valid till 06/10/2010.

I have common Muslim last name Ahmad. And it took them 24 days to get clearance in my case. After I posted my last message I got a lot of calls from people stuck in Canada that what is advance parole ?

I think manwithnoname can explain here what is AP

They dont send everybody name for security clearance. When I picked my passport there were two guys from Pakistan who got their visa on the next day both were on J1 visas but they were not doctors.

Please Please do not carry any bags when you go for interview because they dont allow bags at all but you could carry bags when you go to pick up your passport. because they deliver passport outside embassy so you can check out from hotel and after pick up your passport go to airport directly .

My Advise is please aggressively followed up everything. Had I not have parole I would have been struck in Canada for 24 days since I had parole I was able to come back to USA on the next business day?

I am Canadian landed immigrant last since July 2007. When I entered Canada twice in last two months the Canadian immigration officers have never given me hard time

When I entered on advance parole they did not register me so when I went for exist registration on my second trip to Canada they told me I don’t need to registered since you were not registered when you entered use last time

When I again entered Canada on last Monday I used my H1b visa to enter again the Immigration officer was very nice he did not register me.

If you planning to go to Ottawa please please do not book your hotel through hotwire. They are very cheap buy they will never refund or credit your money if change your plan. I have ready lost 150$ through hotwire. Please book your hotel directly so in case you change your plan you will not loose any money

I am from Pakistan and this was my third H1b stamping. I had one B1/B2 visa and two h1b stamped on my passport. One of them is from Islamabad and the second one from use. I do not have usa degree. When you enter embassy the lady at window 7 does ask your status in Canada I told her that I am landed immigrant. They have mentioned my Canadian status on my visa also

If somebody has any question please e mails me at cpahelp999@yahoo.com
Thanks

Tanveer

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice sharing Info. Tanveer666...

I appeared for H1B stamping in Ottawa on July 31st 2007. I am from Pakistan and my last name is also a common Muslim name. They gave me a white paper in which they mentioned that they require further processing on this case. I came back to USA using my advance parole. I got Email on August 24, 2007 that they got clearance.

I went to Canada again on September 10th 2007 Monday. Although the embassy opens at 8.00 clock but they let us in by 7:45. everybody has to appear on window no 7 where a lady accept your documents .the lady told me please have a seat your visa might be ready after 5 minutes a VO told me its not ready but it will be ready by 3 clock you can come at three clock he gave me red pick slip . I went to embassy at 3 clock and pick up my passport with visa valid till 06/10/2010.

I have common Muslim last name Ahmad. And it took them 24 days to get clearance in my case. After I posted my last message I got a lot of calls from people stuck in Canada that what is advance parole ?

I think manwithno name can explain here what is AP

They dont send everybody name for security clearance. When I picked my passport there were two guys from Pakistan who got their visa on the next day both were on J1 visas but they were not doctors.

Please Please do not carry any bags when you go for interview because they dont allow bags at all but you could carry bags when you go to pick up your passport. because they deliver passport outside embassy so you can check out from hotel and after pick up your passport go to airport directly .

My Advise is please aggressively followed up everything. Had I not have parole I would have been struck in Canada for 24 days since I had parole I was able to come back to USA on the next business day?

I am Canadian landed immigrant last since July 2007. When I entered Canada twice in last two months the Canadian immigration officers have never given me hard time

When I entered on advance parole they did not register me so when I went for exist registration on my second trip to Canada they told me I don’t need to registered since you were not registered when you entered use last time

When I again entered Canada on last Monday I used my H1b visa to enter again the Immigration officer was very nice he did not register me.

If you planning to go to Ottawa please please do not book your hotel through hotwire. They are very cheap buy they will never refund or credit your money if change your plan. I have ready lost 150$ through hotwire. Please book your hotel directly so in case you change your plan you will not loose any money

I am from Pakistan and this was my third H1b stamping. I had one B1/B2 visa and two h1b stamped on my passport. One of them is from Islamabad and the second one from use. I do not have use a degree. When you enter embassy the lady at window 7 does ask your status in Canada I told her that I am landed immigrant. They have mentioned my Canadian status on my visa also

If somebody has any question please e mails me at cpahelp999@yahoo.com
Thanks
Tanveer[/QUOTE]

Keep going ...
Good Luck

Montreal Experience

Went on 15th of august. entered 8am. second man in.

you go to window 13 to give your documents which includes the 100 dollers socia bank recept ( i did that one day ago ) i hear you can give cash us dollers too ( not sure)i got the appointment on NVARS.COM. sometimes you can get lucky with a date with in a few days if you keep watching it onine.

my number came and i walked over. the VO a woman looked at me and here is the conv
Me : Hello
VO : So you want to abuse the visa system again ....(even though you might find it strange but its true thats the first thing she said ...no hello hi waazzup )
Me: I am not sure what you mean.
VO well it looks like you went there on a visitor visa and changed it to an H1B
Me: Actually i came to USA on a B1/B2 and got my H1b in Ireland.
VO : but your visitor visa was cancelled ?
Me : it was cancelled by the US embassy in ireland when i applied for my H1B stamp
VO : why are you coming to canada you have no reason to be here
ME: thats not correct. i have my family here my mother my brother is canadian and i plan to return once i fiinish my traiaining
( MY IMPRESSION IS THAT THIS QUESTION IS TIED TO THE ASSERTION THAT MANY PEOPLE GOING ON H1B PLAN TO APPLY FOR A GREEN CARD AS H1B IS A "DUAL INTENT VISA" . but for VOs this is a non-immigrant visa hence you should NOT have the intent of staying in USA)

VO : looks up ....well may be i spoke a bit soon
Me : ......
VO : Well i need to send your info to washington and she looks at a piece of paper ....i am going to give you this but i dont think any of this applies to you ....hands me my passport
Me: madam i have been through a lot siince i have come to the US with security checks and delays. last time in ireland it took them 365 days tto issue me a H1b stamp.
VO I am sorry to hear that ....looks down at my passport ...welll give that back to me ..ill see what i can do ...ill call you when we get the visa
Me: OK

No information still after 4 weeks and i am afraid it will take them a few months at least ....

Details : passport : pakistan
religion muslim
marital status : single
professsion doctor
visas : 2000 usa b1/b2 5 year multiple
Applied for an h1b in july 2002 approved september 2002 ..left usa applied in ireland ( resident) ...stamped sep 2003 (365days delay )
arrived in usa 2004 jan ...started working in research.

july 2005 changed jobs applied for a second H1B ..STATUS PENDING (august 2007 ) security check ..center nebraska

july 2006 started with a new hospital h1b Transferred. new H1B approved sept 2006 but INS denied extention of stay as my previous application was pending

appealed decision: denied

left usa march 2007. applied at montreal august 2007.
PR resident canada.

SEPTEMBER 2007 : h1b from 2005 is approved (go figure) .....

PS incase anyone is confused about the visa status let me clarify all my status and visa stamps are in order

:eek:

H-1B visa experience at Ottawa, Sep 10,2007

Hi,

I finished my H-1B visa interview at Ottawa on Sep 10, 2007. Didn't have any problem. Here is some background and my experience.

I work at a University on H-1B. This is the first time after converting from F-1 to H-1B that I am getting my H-1B stamped. Appt was at 9:30 am Monday. Went to Ottawa Friday night itself, went to Scotia bank on Saturday and paid the visa fee ($100/person).

On monday, went to the embassy at 9:15 am. The guard looked at the appointment letter, asked if I had the bank receipt, the application form, photo and required documents. Said yes. Let me in. Went through the security check. The document file was apparently too thick...so it got flagged by the machine. It was a normal folder, but I am guessing they have some checks if it is too thick or bulging. So the person took each set of documents and sent it through the scanner individually. I had my chapstick with me...the security person asked me apply it on my lips so she sees it is ok. Then allowed me inside.

Went to counter 1, where the lady collected the DS-156, DS-157, bank receipt and the I-797 form.

Waited for about 15-20 minutes. My name was called.
Went to the counter. The lady said that she was going to just take my finger prints now, and then will be called later for interview. So asked me to place all 4 fingers (except the thumb) of left and right hand sequentially on the scanner, and then both the thumbs. After that went back and sat down.

Waited probably about 1/2 hour. Then again my name was called. A young man, probably in mid-30s interviewed me.

VO: So you work at ....univ?
me: Yes Sir.

VO: What kind of work do you do?
me: described my work

VO: Where did you do your Ph.D. ?
me: mentioned the university name

VO: How long have you been in the US?
me: mentioned the time period

VO: So what did you do other than the Ph.D.?
me: Told that I first came for MS, then finished my Ph.D. and then have been working as post doc.

VO: Okay. I need to see your I-129 and LCA petition package, your payslips, and current letter of employment verification.
me: I hand him over the original documents

VO flips over the I-129 and LCA package, just quickly glances through the payslips, reads through the letter closely. Retains the letter and gave me the payslips and and I-129 petition and the I-797 approval notice back.

VO cancels my earlier F-1 visa stamps by putting a stamp on it that says "Canceled without prejudice".

VO then takes a note, circles the day and write 3 pm and gave it to me and said: "You can pick up your passport tomorrow at the entrance."

me: Thank you. Is that it ?

VO: That's it.
me: Thanks!

I drove to Canada. So on my way back at the port of entry, the USCIS officer took my old I-94s, asked a few general questions (where I work, what kind of work I do), then issued a new I-94 (computer printed) and collected $6 fee.

Back in the US now. Overall, it was a pleasant experience. Although the VO did not smile at me, it was still a hassle-free experience.

Also, I noted that a couple of people at the entrance were turned back since they did not get the bank receipt. The guard sent them back, asked them to pay the fee, get the receipt and then come back. Infact, one guy, whose appt was at 8 am, only got in just behind me. My guess is that he must have also been sent to the bank and probably came back after getting the receipt.

Thanks.

Hi Sid,

Below is my situation,
Background:

• Entered US on 23-Mar-2004 with H1 visa stamp valid till 08-Aug-2005
• My wife joined me in US on 10-Jun-2004 on H4B visa.
• Got H1-B extended through current employer and received new I-94
• Changed job and got H1-B transferred to new employer on 31-Aug-2005
• Changed job again in 20-Mar-2006, received new H1B petition
• Applied for Canadian PR in Oct-2006
• Changed job again in Jan-2007
• Updated Consulate General of Canada about change of job with the proof
• Received final letter from Canadian consulate stating that my PR is approved and I should be submitting my passport any day before Nov-20-2007

I would greatly appreciate your prompt reply for below confusions.

Q.1. Can we land and appear to US consulate in Canada for H1B / H4 stamping / revalidation after finishing the Canadian PR initial formalities? Do you foresee any risk in doing that?
Q.2. As I have a job in US and would like to pursue GC through the same job, would there be any problem due to having Canadian PR when I filed for GC?
Q.3. As I wanted to play safe game, I am planning to stay in Canada for a month (+ 15 days if needed) time to complete the PR formalities and return back to US after having the PR card, health card actually received, while coming back in US do you anticipate any problem?

Thanks,
Darsh

H1 / H4 revalidation and Canadian PR

Hi Sid,

Below is my situation,
Background:

• Entered US on 23-Mar-2004 with H1 visa stamp valid till 08-Aug-2005
• My wife joined me in US on 10-Jun-2004 on H4B visa.
• Got H1-B extended through current employer and received new I-94
• Changed job and got H1-B transferred to new employer on 31-Aug-2005
• Changed job again in 20-Mar-2006, received new H1B petition
• Applied for Canadian PR in Oct-2006
• Changed job again in Jan-2007
• Updated Consulate General of Canada about change of job with the proof
• Received final letter from Canadian consulate stating that my PR is approved and I should be submitting my passport any day before Nov-20-2007

I would greatly appreciate your prompt reply for below confusions.

Q.1. Can we land and appear to US consulate in Canada for H1B / H4 stamping / revalidation after finishing the Canadian PR initial formalities? Do you foresee any risk in doing that?
Q.2. As I have a job in US and would like to pursue GC through the same job, would there be any problem due to having Canadian PR when I filed for GC?
Q.3. As I wanted to play safe game, I am planning to stay in Canada for a month (+ 15 days if needed) time to complete the PR formalities and return back to US after having the PR card, health card actually received, while coming back in US do you anticipate any problem?

Thanks,
Darsh

Darsh,
A1: I personally do no see a risk in it.
A2: No. However once you get your GC, it will be impossible for you to maintain both statuses in the long run. You will need to give one up.
A3: PR formalities are covered at the POE itself, within a few hours. Health car is a provincial matter, nothing to do with federal authorities who granted you permanent residence.