H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Got Visa from Ottawa

I got visa from ottawa on 23rd this month. Most people showed up at the consulate without depositing $100 into scotiobank.

Scotiabank on 118 Sparks St opens at 9AM and not crowded.

One on Redeau St opens at 9.30 and so much crowded.

Everything is very cool at the consulate.

Please post the detail

Saik

If you dont mind could you please post the complete detail

I have an appointment at 9.00 AM on 07/30/2007 at 9.00 clock and infact scotia bank open at 9.00 clock how can I deposit the money at the bank

Have they issued you the visa on the same date or the following day

what documents you submitted when they received the application

Please post the complete detail step by step it will be very helpful for all of us

Tanveer

I got visa from ottawa on 23rd this month. Most people showed up at the consulate without depositing $100 into scotiobank.

Scotiabank on 118 Sparks St opens at 9AM and not crowded.

One on Redeau St opens at 9.30 and so much crowded.

Everything is very cool at the consulate.

Last edited by a moderator:
See my answers below..

Saik

If you dont mind could you please post the complete detail

I have an appointment at 9.00 AM on 07/30/2007 at 9.00 clock and infact scotia bank open at 9.00 clock how can I deposit the money at the bank

SAIK : Go to 118 Sparks St branch. It is 5 minutes work. opens at 9AM. You can reach the consulate by 9.15. They were not perticular about time. So many people came with out deposit slips. They send them back to the bank to pay the fees and come back.
Pay $100, bank teller will give you 2 copies. Take both to consulate.

Have they issued you the visa on the same date or the following day

SAIK : The following Day.

what documents you submitted when they received the application
SAIK : Appt Letter, DS156, DS157, Scotia Deposit slips, I-797(original),passport.

Please post the complete detail step by step it will be very helpful for all of us

SAIK: appointment at 10AM.
1. went to bank at 9.15
2. @ the embassy by 9.30. Allowed me immidiately. Do not take any bags. Folders are allowed.
3. After security go to window with a line and give the docs they ask you. See my answer to question 1.
4. VO called me at 10.30. Asked letter from company. Asked about my job. I explained in plain english without any Tech terms. Asked who is my current client. Why my wife did not accompany me to Visa. I said she is going to india in a month. That is it. She asked me to collect my visa next day at 3PM.

I think everyone got visa till the time I was in there.

Good Luck

Tanveer

All,

I have a I-797 from company 'A' which was bought by company 'B'. Company 'B' lawyers tell me that they don't have to re-apply for a I-797 as it is still valid with company 'A'. They gave me the merger documents and told me I could go to the Consulate/Embassy for a visa stamp.

Are you guys aware of any problems I might face because of the situation I mentioned above?

I'm planning to go to Canada for my visa stamp.
hello,

i'm in a similar situation like jadeblue where i have I-797C from company A which was acquied by company B earlier this year. I want to get my visa stamped but my company B HR person told me i'll have to file an h1-b amendment to get a new I-797C from company B before i go for stamping.

Can anybody else with similar situation share their experience if they went with companyA I-797C and got it stamped?

thanks,

Did u get any info ..I also have date in Halifax next month

Hi all
I have my visa interview for h1b next month in the halifax consulate in canada, could anyone help me as how the process will be. Currently I am doing my masters in computer science from a canadian university and I have not yet finished my degree , in the mean time I also got a call for interview as my h1b is approved- How do i face this situation if the embassy people ask me , pls help???

new mail-in policy of passports at Ottawa?

Hi,
I have fixed an appt for H-1B visa interview at Ottawa in September. While browsing the amcits website (http://www.amcits.com/ottawa.asp), I noticed that they have a section at the very bottom that says that effective august 13, 2007, they will mail passports & visas to Canadian addresses. It is unclear from the website whether it also applies to people from outside Canada (like many of us going from USA to Canada to get visa stamped), since they may not have a Canadian address. Obviously no one would have experienced this yet, since it is effective only from aug 13. But has anyone heard anything about this? What will they do for folks with non-Canadian addresses?
Here is the exact copy from the above website:

Return of Passports and Visas
Passports will be returned by Canada Post, in most cases

Effective August 13, 2007 Passports and visas will be returned to the applicants with Canadian addresses by Canada Post generally within 3 business days after the visa is approved. In person pick up will be available only in a legitimate emergency (as determined by the Consulate).

Passports and visas will be returned to all applicants with Canadian addresses by Canada Post. Discounted Xpresspost trackable mailers will be supplied in the Visa Section at the time of the interview; payment by a valid credit card is required. The price for next-day Regional service is $6.66 and the price for two-day National service is $10.08, plus applicable taxes and surcharges. Applicants should not call the consulate to track the delivery status but should use the Canada Post website tracking feature. For shipping terms and conditions, please visit Canada Post�s website at www.CanadaPost.ca.

If no credit card is available applicants must prepare ahead of time. Applicants must go to a Canada Post office and buy an Express Regional mailer before coming to the consulate. These are not available at the Consulate. Approximate cost is CDN $7.

Thanks,
pd

Hi, i transferred from comp A to comp B last december. I have new i-797 and i-94. I want to go to montreal for h1 & h4 transfer stamping. I have been in US for 1.8 years. I have over 10 years of IT experience but I only have a Bsc botany degree from India and a NIIT certification. Will there be a problem if I go for stamping in Canada?. Please advice.

saik,

Thanks for the info on your visa experience at Ottawa and the bank details. I have an H-1 visa appt at Ottawa in September. In addition to the $100 visa application fee, is there any other fee? Some people mentioned about some reciprocity fee ? I am from India - does it apply, and if so, do you know how much? Where can I find that fee details? I tried to find it on amicts.com, but couldnt find it.

thanks,
pd

I have a appointment in Toronto consulate in Sep. I got a phone call recently from US visa appointment center saying there is possibility that I may face additional clearence process, which could delay my visa from 3 weeks to a couple of months. They just want to make sure I am warned and notified. Is there anyone get the similar phone calls?

Lucky,
I remember reading such messages in earlier posts. Check this thread for earlier dates and you will probably see posts that talk about such phone calls. Infact, I remember 1 post where the person said he/she recd such a call, but then took the risk and went and didnt have problems. I am not sure if this will be the case for everyone. Is there anything specific with your job nature that you think might be the reason ?
pd

I appeared for H1B stamping in Ottawa on July 31st 2007. I am from Pakistan and my last name is also a common Muslim name. They gave me a white paper in which they mentioned that they require further processing on this case. I came back to USA using my advance parole. I got mail on August 24, 2007 that they got clearance I have to go to Canada again to get my visa stamp on my passport Thanks God no more visas stamping headache till June 2010. I hope I will get the green card by that time. If you have any question please e mail me cpahelp999@yahoo.com. Any body going to Canada please contact me

Hi pd,

Thank you for helping me. I have a business background and work for a normal company. I came US as a F2 and then transfer to F1 and then H1. I still don't know why the US consulate appointment service people called me. (For people just read this message, I had a Toronto apt in Sep for my first H1 stamp). My lawyer told me consulate appointment service people usually don't call people. And I heard the other one got same phone call but he is going to get F1 visa. I guess the customer service people just warn people randomly.

May I ask, what type of questions VO ask usually? What are they looking for when interviewing H1B stamper?

Thank you guys so much!

Eileen

get visa appointment in halifax

Hi,

I am trying to get HIB visa appointment in Halifax. But I never see halifax in the drop down. I have been trying to get appointment from past 6months.
What is the best way to get the appointment in Halifax. I would appreciate if you can give any information.

Thanks,

Hi all
I have my visa interview for h1b next month in the halifax consulate in canada, could anyone help me as how the process will be. Currently I am doing my masters in computer science from a canadian university and I have not yet finished my degree , in the mean time I also got a call for interview as my h1b is approved- How do i face this situation if the embassy people ask me , pls help???

Hi,

My wife was on H4 visa till last year and got H1B visa this year through a small contracting company. She is working as a Business Analyst (h1b has same role too) at PWC for last 6 months and am currently on project. She has MBA, Bcom degrees from India and CFA charter from US.

She wants to get H1b visa stamped, and we are trying to figure out where to get it done.

Since she has degrees from India only (although she received her CFA charter in US, not sure if its counted as a degree), can there be a problem getting visa stamped in Canada? Has anyone got h4-h1 stamping done in Canada (which consulate?)
Will Mexico be a better option?
Or should she just choose to get it stamped in India?

Please advise.

Thanks.

if h4 stamp is already there, I do not see the need of h1b stamp. Perhaps it is wise to wait for h1b stamp until the next visit to India.
I have heard that if h1b visa is denied for some reason, she can re-enter using her h4 visa in such cases.
Just my thoughts.
Hi,

My wife was on H4 visa till last year and got H1B visa this year through a small contracting company. She is working as a Business Analyst (h1b has same role too) at PWC for last 6 months and am currently on project. She has MBA, Bcom degrees from India and CFA charter from US.

She wants to get H1b visa stamped, and we are trying to figure out where to get it done.

Since she has degrees from India only (although she received her CFA charter in US, not sure if its counted as a degree), can there be a problem getting visa stamped in Canada? Has anyone got h4-h1 stamping done in Canada (which consulate?)
Will Mexico be a better option?
Or should she just choose to get it stamped in India?

Please advise.

Thanks.

H1B Stamping with (2) I-797's (current and extension) for the same employer

Hi Subary,

I am in a similar situation. I am going to Ottawa for H1B stamping in Sept., 2007. My current I-797 expires 19-Nov-2007. I already have my approved 3-years extension (with the same employer) and I have the correstponding I-797 starting 20-Nov-2007.

If I go for H1B stamping would they give me a visa based on the current I-797i.e. for 2-months only or they can give visa for the duration of the extension as well. And how do I apply, shall I give them both I-797's or?

If you have any experience with that any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.