H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Thanks Ela6, I went to homeland security website and the person was referring to this new "US-VISIT" Rule that has been in placed for visitors.

I am not leaving willingly I have to leave because I have four months GAP from the expiration of my OPT 5/31 and to the start of h1b, Oct 1.

Anything specific that U-Visit says?

Also, why are not going home to apply? Atleast you can spend time at home - pretend it is a vacation. To be honest with you, there is a good chance that you might get 221g. Are you planning to fly home (just in case)?
Thanks Ela6, I went to homeland security website and the person was referring to this new "US-VISIT" Rule that has been in placed for visitors.

I am not leaving willingly I have to leave because I have four months GAP from the expiration of my OPT 5/31 and to the start of h1b, Oct 1.

I am staying in vancouver for few days and then flying home and wait there for the response.

What is 221g? Please elaborate.

Do you know any person who is the similar situation( 4 months gap) and is not leaving the country but changing the status so he can be legal till october?

221g is just a sheet of paper they give you which basically states that they cannot process the appln due to xxxxx Nothing more..It is their official way of saying that you need to wait.

I doubt anyone can simply change the status and stay back. I can only imagine that they might change their status to tourist. But then, you may have to change it back to H1.. I think it is a pain and perhaps impossible..

I am staying in vancouver for few days and then flying home and wait there for the response.

What is 221g? Please elaborate.

Do you know any person who is the similar situation( 4 months gap) and is not leaving the country but changing the status so he can be legal till october?

Thank you ela6. You have been kind to this forum. I hope best of luck to all with their process. It is tormenting, but it is what it is we gotta eat it.

Will share my experience on this forum once its done.

Visa Revalidation Experience in Vancouver

Hi All,

I had an Visa Interview yesterday, it went as planned.

The questions were same as other ppl have posted, work, company, school, when, fingerprints and the result was that they will notify me in 90 days. Yes, 90 days because i have a common name and further clearance is needed.

I had figured it will happen so it didn't came to me as a suprise.

Goodluck!

H1 and F1 visa stamping in Ottawa experience

I have completed 6 yrs on h1 and had to get visa stamped for 7th year. Labor was certified and yet to apply for I140.
My wife had joined school and got COS from H4 to F1 visa. She joined in Fall 06.

We took appointment on 2 consecutive days my wife on tue in June 07 and mine on wed.
The only document they asked me was letter from employer. Only question was what does my company do. My appt was at 10:30 one of the last appt. so the interviewer must have been tired.
My wife they asked why are u coverting to f1 when u can study on h4 and she said she had to do research assistantship. They did not ask for any docuemnts except for I20. Her appt was also at 10:30 previous day.

We picked up stamped visa next day. At port of entry there were not questions either they took I797 and I20.

Hi Guys,

I have few questions on Visa Stamping.

I have a straight forward case; Came on F-1, now on OPT and received H1 approval.

I am on OPT right now and my H1 is approved. I have a full time job since last 4 months and My employer has filled my H1. Can I go for H1 stamping in canada right now? My H1 will start from 1st of October can i still go for stamping? (in July or August?? or I need to wait till my H1 starts??)

What additional documents do I need? Is it advisable to go for stamping while on OPT?

I would like to visit India during this december which is the reason why I would like to go for stamping.

Please share any of your experiences with the Finance Background.

Many thanks in advance

Hi Guys,

I have few questions on Visa Stamping.

I have a straight forward case; Came on F-1, now on OPT and received H1 approval.

I am on OPT right now and my H1 is approved. I have a full time job since last 4 months and My employer has filled my H1. Can I go for H1 stamping in canada right now? My H1 will start from 1st of October can i still go for stamping? (in July or August?? or I need to wait till my H1 starts??)

What additional documents do I need? Is it advisable to go for stamping while on OPT?

I would like to visit India during this december which is the reason why I would like to go for stamping.

Please share any of your experiences with the Finance Background.

Many thanks in advance

You can go for H-1B stamping 3 months earlier than start date mentioned in the approval notice. Pleas see www.amcits.com for additional details.

Please Help

I am Canadian Landed Permanent since July 2006. My h1b was till 06/11/2007

My Attorney filed the extension on the last day since we were waiting for I-140 approval. They received it on 06/11/2007. But on the approval notice they have written received date 06/12/2007 instead of 06/11/2007. Anyway MY h1b extension was approved till 06/11/2010.

I have an RFE on I-140. MY Advance parole approved today My Questions are as follows

1- If I go for visa stamping and if I struck their for Name check can I return back on Advance parole

2-My extension is from 06/14/2007 to 06/11/2010. Can they ask what was my status from 06/12/2007 to 06/13/2007? MY I485 was pending during that period

3- I am Pakistani citizen How much is the visa fee. Do they accept cash I believe the visa fee is $100

4-how they inform you that your name check has been cleared do they call you or they email you???

5-One of my friend who is from Pakistan. They did not return his original I-797. With the passport. He told me that if your name goes for name check they do retain the original I-797

6-At what point of time I will tell them that I am permenant resident of Canada

Friends please help if you know the answer

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in Canada in Oct 2006 toget h1B stamp. They want do my name check so I have to stay there 2 weeks. But return me all my original documents with I 797.

Hi there,
First off, with all these issues, why do you need stamping? You already have Advance Parole!! You are prepared to use AP, then why not use in the first place and forget about stamping.
I do think, you should be able to get in using AP. By using AP, you will be switching from H1 to EAD and one can do that..

I do understand that your I140 has an RFE. If it is a routine RFE (easy answer), then I would just use AP and spare the trouble...
One day out of status should not be an issue at all. I don't think they will find out or look for those things. That should not be a big deal.

Usually Visa fee is paid using a bank draft. There should be some bank locally and you will have to get draft from there for the required amount.
They usually call and let you know that it is ready for visa (after check).
I don't think telling them canadian residency is going to change the outcome one way or other or even have any need...

In my opinion, simply use AP and save money/time and frustration.

thanks
Ela

I am Canadian Landed Permanent since July 2006. My h1b was till 06/11/2007

My Attorney filed the extension on the last day since we were waiting for I-140 approval. They received it on 06/11/2007. But on the approval notice they have written received date 06/12/2007 instead of 06/11/2007. Anyway MY h1b extension was approved till 06/11/2010.

I have an RFE on I-140. MY Advance parole approved today My Questions are as follows

1- If I go for visa stamping and if I struck their for Name check can I return back on Advance parole

2-My extension is from 06/14/2007 to 06/11/2010. Can they ask what was my status from 06/12/2007 to 06/13/2007? MY I485 was pending during that period

3- I am Pakistani citizen How much is the visa fee. Do they accept cash I believe the visa fee is $100

4-how they inform you that your name check has been cleared do they call you or they email you???

5-One of my friend who is from Pakistan. They did not return his original I-797. With the passport. He told me that if your name goes for name check they do retain the original I-797

6-At what point of time I will tell them that I am permenant resident of Canada

Friends please help if you know the answer

For Tanveer666

Answers below:
1, 2 and 3. already answered by ela6
4. Yes. But you have to check the consulate website.
5. That does not matter because the visa re-validation based on I-797 form is still under process (for Name check/administrative processing/TAL).
6. I would not mention anything irrelevant, unless asked for. Anyway, you have not maintained Canadian residency - so you should be all set.

Please Clerify

Answers below:
1, 2 and 3. already answered by ela6
4. Yes. But you have to check the consulate website.
5. That does not matter because the visa re-validation based on I-797 form is still under process (for Name check/administrative processing/TAL).
6. I would not mention anything irrelevant, unless asked for. Anyway, you have not maintained Canadian residency - so you should be all set.

actually My h1b was valid till 06/11/2007. they received the extension by 06/11/2007 but on the approval I-797 they have mentioned valid from 06/14/2007 till 06/11/2010 they should have put from 06/12/2007 till 06/11/2010. I dont think this will be a problem .

Should I follow up on them to fix this typo

Tanveer

I am sure you should be able to fix it although it might take some time.

BTW, I am still curious as to why you are trying for stamping instead of AP. No pressure, just curious.
thanks
Ela
actually My h1b was valid till 06/11/2007. they received the extension by 06/11/2007 but on the approval I-797 they have mentioned valid from 06/14/2007 till 06/11/2010 they should have put from 06/12/2007 till 06/11/2010. I dont think this will be a problem .

Should I follow up on them to fix this typo

Tanveer

Stamping at Ottawa, pls help

You can go for H-1B stamping 3 months earlier than start date mentioned in the approval notice. Pleas see www.amcits.com for additional details.

Hi All,

I have appointment at Ottawa on July 23rd for h1b renewal. My education is from India and my previous h1b is issued in Malayisa.

my questions are:
1) will it be risky to attaned for visa?
2) my h1 is until oct 2007. i am going before 2 months. incase if they ask to go to india, can i come back to US?

Pls help me

Hi All,

I have appointment at Ottawa on July 23rd for h1b renewal. My education is from India and my previous h1b is issued in Malayisa.

my questions are:
2) my h1 is until oct 2007. i am going before 2 months. incase if they ask to go to india, can i come back to US?

Pls help me

I have appointment in Ottawa on 23rd July. What time is yours. I'm flying directly to ottawa. Planning to stay in Downtown hotel.

As far as I know if your VISA is declined for any reason, CO will generally cancel all the existing visas.

Appointment on Aug 22, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpunna
Hi All,

my questions are:

Pls help me

I have appointment in Ottawa on 23rd July. What time is yours. I'm flying directly to ottawa. Planning to stay in Downtown hotel.

As far as I know if your VISA is declined for any reason, CO will generally cancel all the existing visas.unquote

I also have an appintment on Aug 22 2007 at 8.30 AM

Please let me know how you guys are going there . I mean by air or by raod . which is the best place to stey there . if any body is going there by road I am willing to join him please e mail me cpahelp999@yahoo.com or you can call me on my cell which is 718-312-2777

Thanks

Tanveer

As your appointment is at 8.30, check the scotiobank timings. You will have to pay the fee 1 day before at scotiobank.

I'm flying directly into ottawa. Booked hotel from Hotwire @ 55 Dollars per night in Quality Inn ( 1 KM from consulate ).

Good luck

SAIK

Hotel Info Needed

Tanveer

As your appointment is at 8.30, check the scotiobank timings. You will have to pay the fee 1 day before at scotiobank.

I'm flying directly into ottawa. Booked hotel from Hotwire @ 55 Dollars per night in Quality Inn ( 1 KM from consulate ).

Good luck

SAIK

Could you please provide me the tel number of this hotel , Quality Inn in HOTWIRE OTTAWA