H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Hi there,
You may want to edit your posting and remove your actual name. Why leave it on the Internet? Anyways, I am guessing that they will have a dept to do just the background checking of employment/Univ. However, University might take its own sweet time to send out the verification letters. I am sure the dept will insist on hard copies that phone calls. If you have an exact name as a spy, then it might be an additional pain..

Very sorry to hear about your case.

By the way, now that i think more about this, you have been really put for security check under TAL (technology alert list). All applicants (whole list is available in the Internet - search for TAL) who are in pure science, computer security etc have to go thro the checks. I work in chemistry related area and my I have graduate degree in Chem. So, when I went for stamping, I was put thro security check. So, it is confirmed, you are under TAL check. Your name may delay you just a tad. I got my clearance in about 5 weeks.

Thanks
Ela
Thank you very much for your response. I just was very pissed and therefore made mistake in the word chemistry. Actually I indicated the word chemistry right in the application. They said that it can take a couple of days or 2 or 4 weeks. So I just wonder if they send my case to Washington or just call to the university where I got my Master in Chemistry.

In addition, my name is Andrey Zamyatin. If you type my name in the Google, to your surprise you will find that Andrey Zamyatin is a spy. My last and first names are just similar. That’s it

Hi,

I think its bad news for me. So, there is nothing to do as to wait or go back to home country and wait, wait........

:(

Hi there,
You may want to edit your posting and remove your actual name. Why leave it on the Internet? Anyways, I am guessing that they will have a dept to do just the background checking of employment/Univ. However, University might take its own sweet time to send out the verification letters. I am sure the dept will insist on hard copies that phone calls. If you have an exact name as a spy, then it might be an additional pain..

By the way, now that i think more about this, you have been really put for security check under TAL (technology alert list). All applicants (whole list is available in the Internet - search for TAL) who are in pure science, computer security etc have to go thro the checks. I work in chemistry related area and my I have graduate degree in Chem. So, when I went for stamping, I was put thro security check. So, it is confirmed, you are under TAL check. Your name may delay you just a tad. I got my clearance in about 5 weeks.

Thanks
Ela

Hi again,

I would like to ask you what form they gave you? Where did they stamp your visa?

As for me: They gave me the white form, ( It seems to me that it was a copy) where it said:

This office is unable to conclude processing................., as we require additional information. Further action in your case has been suspended under 221 (g) ...........

The officer indicated that I need to bring:

12. resume & a complete list of your publications.

At the end of this form: we will notify you asap as we able to proceed with your application.............................. Please allow at least 2-4 weeks for processing of your application before conatacting this office......

Thanks,

Hi,

I think its bad news for me. So, there is nothing to do as to wait or go back to home country and wait, wait........

:(

Hi again,

I would like to ask you what form they gave you? Where did they stamp your visa?

As for me: They gave me the white form, ( It seems to me that it was a copy) where it said:

This office is unable to conclude processing................., as we require additional information. Further action in your case has been suspended under 221 (g) ...........

At the end of this form: we will notify you asap as we able to proceed with your application.............................. Please allow at least 2-4 weeks for processing of your application before conatacting this office......

Actually, I am living and working California. Are you from there?

Thanks,

Hi there,

Thanks
Ela

Hi Andrey,

I seriously believe that yours is TAL Case and if you see previous threads you will find that it takes abt 3 weeks to get visa for such cases.

If you can wait for 3-4 weeks that will be worth.but if you just cannt then you can come back again to Calgary to collect visa.

Thx

Kumar

Hi Kumar,

Thaks a lot for your support,

Hi Andrey,

I seriously believe that yours is TAL Case and if you see previous threads you will find that it takes abt 3 weeks to get visa for such cases.

If you can wait for 3-4 weeks that will be worth.but if you just cannt then you can come back again to Calgary to collect visa.

Thx

Kumar

I was given the same white form 221 (g).
It is a routine process. Only thing I am not sure whether you are stuck somewhere. In my case, I was able to come back to US. So, I had nothing to worry about. I just waited for 5 weeks (my normal life was not affected) and so it was not a big deal. They called me and said that I could get it stamped. I went back, no questions asked, got it stamped without any issue.

However, if you are stranded somewhere, I do realize it is a huge problem.

I don't get why he asked the publications, etc from you. In my case, I had a letter from the employer which briefly went over the job responsibilities and they took it and that is it.

Thanks
Ela
Hi again,

Actually, I am living and working California. Are you from there?

Thanks,

Ela,

Where did they stamp your visa? I mean the city?

Thanks,

I was given the same white form 221 (g).
It is a routine process. Only thing I am not sure whether you are stuck somewhere. In my case, I was able to come back to US. So, I had nothing to worry about. I just waited for 5 weeks (my normal life was not affected) and so it was not a big deal. They called me and said that I could get it stamped. I went back, no questions asked, got it stamped without any issue.

However, if you are stranded somewhere, I do realize it is a huge problem.

I don't get why he asked the publications, etc from you. In my case, I had a letter from the employer which briefly went over the job responsibilities and they took it and that is it.

Thanks
Ela

Hi Rick,

How long did you wait for visa stamp. As far as I understood you were in Calgary, like me

Tell me about your exp. in Calgary,

Thanks

Hi Andrey,

Thx

Kumar

I got it done in Tijuana (I live in California) couple of years ago and at that time, they used to let people in with valid I-94 (even if you are waiting for your stamp). With the TB guy getting in thro Canada and the border agent getting into trouble, I am not sure what the current situation is..
Ela
Ela,

Where did they stamp your visa? I mean the city?

Thanks,

Ela,
Thanks,

Actually, I am working in San Diego.

I believe, I have to go to my home country and wait there

It is just waiting time to stay here

I got it done in Tijuana (I live in California) couple of years ago and at that time, they used to let people in with valid I-94 (even if you are waiting for your stamp). With the TB guy getting in thro Canada and the border agent getting into trouble, I am not sure what the current situation is..
Ela

Hello Ela,

Do you know something about background check? How long will it take?

Thanks,

Ela

dear Andrey,

I talked to DOS today and they told me its taking 6-8 months for background check.

But as I told you last time, yrs is positive TAL(Tech Alert List) which takes normally 2-6 weeks but I hv seen most of the case comes back in 3 weeks.

Thx

Rick

Hello Ela,

Do you know something about background check? How long will it take?

Thanks,

Hi,

Sounds really bad.

Are you going to stay in Canada or going back to your country. I am really sorry about your case.

Today I called to DOS and they told me that they need to check my background, another words, and background check about my specialty (chemist). They told me that it usually takes about from 4 -6 weeks.

I am very surprised and shocked about your time range they told you.
I think it is ridiculous to take a person for 4 -6 months.

It is unbelievable.......

dear Andrey,

I talked to DOS today and they told me its taking 6-8 months for background check.

But as I told you last time, yrs is positive TAL(Tech Alert List) which takes normally 2-6 weeks but I hv seen most of the case comes back in 3 weeks.

Thx

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
Visa Stamping in vancouver

Hi guys,

I want to go for stamping (3 years extension) in vancouver, i did stamping last year 1-year extension at vancouver. It was straight forward, i did already stamping once in India in 2003.

Do you think any problem this year, any background check, my I-140 approved.

Please let me know anyone going this year for stamping.

thanks
ashish

Hi,

Take a look at this link:

http://www.hio.harvard.edu/students_scholars/travel/technology_alert_list.php

If you close to it, they will put you on the background check. Waiting time depends on your experience. How many jobs did you have...... your name etc. Another words, if you are lucky, you will get your stamp. :)

cheers,

Hi guys,

I want to go for stamping (3 years extension) in vancouver, i did stamping last year 1-year extension at vancouver. It was straight forward, i did already stamping once in India in 2003.

Do you think any problem this year, any background check, my I-140 approved.

Please let me know anyone going this year for stamping.

thanks
ashish

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview in Vancouver this Friday.

Hi Everyone,

I have an interview coming up this friday in vancouver for H-1B stamp.

This is the first time I am applying for an h1b stamp. I came here in 01 on b1, transferred to f1 and recently was approved for h1b. I've read most of the posts and reply, and it seems like the time delay depends on case by case. however, with such a name like mine I am sure they will take their own sweet time for my security clearance.

My point of concern is that I have never left the country and it will be my first time leaving US. Does it matter from which airport/port of exit I depart? I heard from someone but he was not sure that there is a law or something regulation that international student or h1b ppl have to leave from certain port of exit?

Please share if you guys know any such rule, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Shaikh.

P.S. if it helps answering my question, I am from Pakistan.

I don't know why people keep imagining things and scare others. There is no such law that you need to leave only thro certain ports. There is no such port just for the first timers. What I think that person might be refering to is that you need to submit your I-94 when you leave. If you fly, the airlines will take your I-94 - make sure they take it or you might have to check you more when you come back (immigration won't have a record of you leaving - so, they will have to check more).

I am sure that you are aware of background check risks (long delays) when you go for stamping. You might have increased risk as you are from pakistan.

My recco is don't go for stamping if you don't have to really do it (stamping)..

No fun getting stuck..
Hi Everyone,

I have an interview coming up this friday in vancouver for H-1B stamp.

This is the first time I am applying for an h1b stamp. I came here in 01 on b1, transferred to f1 and recently was approved for h1b. I've read most of the posts and reply, and it seems like the time delay depends on case by case. however, with such a name like mine I am sure they will take their own sweet time for my security clearance.

My point of concern is that I have never left the country and it will be my first time leaving US. Does it matter from which airport/port of exit I depart? I heard from someone but he was not sure that there is a law or something regulation that international student or h1b ppl have to leave from certain port of exit?

Please share if you guys know any such rule, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Shaikh.

P.S. if it helps answering my question, I am from Pakistan.

I don't know why people keep imagining things and scare others. There is no such law that you need to leave only thro certain ports. There is no such port just for the first timers. .

People from SR countries including Pakistan have to report to the immigration officer while leaving US. Not ALL ports of entry are designated ports for special registration. Thus it is recommended to do special registration before leaving US at the designated ports.