H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Thanks guys. Actually I got the clearance in April 2005. And I think it was backgronund check and not TAL. Its been more than 2 years now so the chances are I might have to go through it again...thats not good. Also my place of birth is Jammu and I think that might have triggered some kind of background check, even though I have never lived in Jammu.

Hey Folks,

I read some of the discusion and found it to be very useful. I have question abt visa stamping time frame. My H1-B is going to expire in Feb 2008. This is the first 3 year of H1 and I still have 3 more years to go. I am planning to get the stamping in december 2007 as I need to go there for my sisters wedding. I am wondering is it safe to apply for H1-B even if there is only 2 months left in expiration of the H1-B status. I will get the renewal of H1 status sometimes in January but just wondering if its safe to apply if the current H1-B status is going to get expired in Feb 2008 and apply for a visa in Dec 2007.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hey Folks,

I read some of the discusion and found it to be very useful. I have question abt visa stamping time frame. My H1-B is going to expire in Feb 2008. This is the first 3 year of H1 and I still have 3 more years to go. I am planning to get the stamping in december 2007 as I need to go there for my sisters wedding. I am wondering is it safe to apply for H1-B even if there is only 2 months left in expiration of the H1-B status. I will get the renewal of H1 status sometimes in January but just wondering if its safe to apply if the current H1-B status is going to get expired in Feb 2008 and apply for a visa in Dec 2007.

Thanks

Yes, you can go for Visa stamping in December, 2007. Prior to that, please ask your employer to file for H-1B extension. Please note that a H-1B extension can be filed 6 months earlier, from the expiry of the current term.

Hey Folks,

Thanks

From this thread you can read more to find out that you can apply for your H1-B renewal 90 days prior to expiration of the current H1-B on your passport.

Good luck.

Hey Folks,

Thanks

If I was you, I would have your employer file the extension as soon as you are allowed to, do premium processing on it also so the new 797 will come in fast. Thank take that with you when you go in December. I would not just go and ask for a visa with only 2 months left on your status. I am not sure about this, but please verify that just an application for extension would be enough to get the visa or if you need it to be approved.
Good Lukc

If I was you, I would have your employer file the extension as soon as you are allowed to, do premium processing on it also so the new 797 will come in fast. Thank take that with you when you go in December. I would not just go and ask for a visa with only 2 months left on your status. I am not sure about this, but please verify that just an application for extension would be enough to get the visa or if you need it to be approved.
Good Lukc

I agree. In order to get a renewal, you must have an approved I-797 with you when you book an interview for your H1-B stamping. Your H1-B (or H4 in case of spouse) will be stamped based on the date mentioned in the I-797. You cannot show up at any consulate without an I-797 and request that your H1-B be extended.

Once your company has submitted for your H1-B extension and you receive your I-797 approval, go ahead and schedule a H1-B stamping/extension appointment at a Consulate within 90 days on your current H1-B's expiration date. So if it is expiring sometime in February 08, schedule an appointment for sometime in December so that you can also attend the wedding. Better yet to contact/email the Consulate and confirm the 90 day period. I was allowed to renew only 60 days prior at the Johannesburg Consulate last year.

Be aware that H1-B renewals (I-797s) are taking quite some time (mine took 4.5 months due to name check recently from the California Service Center). Last year it took only 2 months from the Dallas Center. So you might want your company to intiate that as soon as possible (I think you can do that 6 months prior to current I-797s expiration date as mentioned earlier by 'manwithnoname'. Just so you are not left stranded without an approved I-797 in December.

Hopefully this will clear things up for you. Good luck.

Jawad

H1 Stamping experience in Ottawa

Hi All,
I have sucessfully stamped by first H1 renewal from Ottawa,Canada.
Here is my overall experience,
I landed a day earlier to get the feel of the place and also get rid of tiredness and be well relaxed.I stayed at the Econo Lodge.
I had an early morning appointment.

At the gate - Pl. make sure you do not carry any electronic items with you because you will be sent back - but no reason to panic as they give you 2 hrs time to come back.So leave cell phone back at the hotel.Also i saw a lot of women being sent back because they were carrying a handbag.

Once inside my appointment was at 8:30.I paid 100USD cash and waited for the interview.My turn for interview came an hour later and the VO asked me for all my previous approval notices.No other questions.

I was asked to come back the other day and collect the passport at 3pm.

All questions are welcome and i shall me pleased to answer everyone.

Cheers,
h1info_indian

For Ottawa, Canada, you just need the 100 dollars in U.S. dollars in cash. Toronto is the only one in Canada that does not accept cash.
The link below has some information about it. http://www.amcits.com/visa_documentation.asp

Hope it helps. Can you post a message or email me at KLako12@gmail.com and let me know how the process was in Ottawa. I have an appointment there on 5/14 for my first H1-B stamping.

Urgent info on H1B Stamping in Canada

This is a rather difficult question. Does anyone know if H1B stamping can be done in the US consulate in Quebec? By the way this would be my fourth time (stamping). Thank you.

Quebec :::Stamping Possible

Yes...its possible but its subject to administrative checking which can take couple of days to weeks to months.

This is a rather difficult question. Does anyone know if H1B stamping can be done in the US consulate in Quebec? By the way this would be my fourth time (stamping). Thank you.

Thanks Rick94102!

Thank you Rick. I truly appreciate your input. What do you mean by administrative checking? Is that the routine checking they do whenever one goes through the stamping process?
Once again, thank you.
Biboo

Thank you Rick. I truly appreciate your input. What do you mean by administrative checking? Is that the routine checking they do whenever one goes through the stamping process?
Once again, thank you.
Biboo

All revalidation cases in Quebec may not be subject to administrative processing. If you are not a native of Canada, please read the website www.amcits.com for details. Also you may be asked why you are stamping in Canada instead of home country. Please take your educational evaluation with you.

Thank you Manwithnoname!

Thank you for the link. I read extensively its content. However something is still unclear to me. Does the Quebec Consulate process stamping of non-Canadian citizens or residents? Thank you.
Biboo

Thank you for the link. I read extensively its content. However something is still unclear to me. Does the Quebec Consulate process stamping of non-Canadian citizens or residents? Thank you.
Biboo

I would read the U.S. Consulate Website for Quebec City, to see if there are any restrictions for H-1B revalidation.

Plaese Help

Friends

I am PR card holder of Canada. Since July 2006. I have already filed I-140PP and I-485 Based upon my my PD of 06/22/2002. Soon I will be getting three years H1B1 extension valid till 06/11/2010 and I also I will also receive Advance parole. My questions are as follows

1- Is it easy to get an appointment for mid/ late July

2-Can I go to Canada for visa stamping and in case they sent my name for security clearance can I come back to usa on advance parole or If they send my name for security clearance Can I leave for Pakistan and come back to either
Canada or USA on advance parole

3-If they deny my visa my visa can I still enter back to USA on advance parole

4-I am landed Canadian immigrant since July 2006 can they ask me to go back to home country in my case Pakistan and get visa stamp from Pakistan instead of CANADA

5-I am landed immigrant of Canada since JULY2006. Can they still say I am to new to Canada to apply for h1b1?

In USA consulate in Canada and I still don’t have strong ties with CANADA?

Guys please help me if you know the answer

Tanveer

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone close to me on F1 visa obtained H1-B from employer and appeared before the consular at Calgary. The fingerprinting, visa fee etc was handled very courteously. The consular asked to come over 2 to 4 weeks pending background check. The home country is India with a valid MS degree from a recognised US university.
Will be glad to learn about the procedure and the grounds for not stamping H1-B

Stuck in Calagry

Hi Friends,

Is any one stuck in Calgary,who is interested in sharing accomodation.I am waiting for visa stamping for past 18 days.

You may email me at (rick94012 at yahoo dot com). We can take it from there.

Thx

any one going to ottawa on 29th may

Is any one leaving to ottawa on 29th may for visa stamping? i have appointment at 9:00 on 29th may in ottawa.. i am planning to drive from NJ... let me know if any one is interested.

Thanks,

Hi Forum members,

Does anyone know of case where stampping is refused after administrative process is complete, any reason?

If anyone is stuck in Calgary and want to share accomodation pls email me at rick94012 at yahoo dot com.

Or if any one know of cheaper place with internet connection.Pls suggest.

Thx

Hi,

Any criteria for delays in H1B stamping (background check) - typical time. Is it days / weeks? I will be glad if somone could share their experiences.