H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

nileshpatel11,

We went through Port Huron and came back via Ambassador Bridge. I posted our experience few pages back (pg number:140).

Praren, really appreciate your reply with information.
Did you take tunnel or Bridge?
Can you share of visa stamping experience with us?

Background check processing times

Hi all,
I applied for a H1B visa stamp revalidation(3rd renewal) at the Vancouver Consulate on Apr 23rd and my case has been sent for background check. I wanted to know if the processing time for security checks sent from consulates in Canada to the DOS are shorter than those sent from India. Do all cases go into the same pipeline or are they treated on a per consulate basis? Also, is there any means to get case status updates or expedite this process?

Thanks in advance

I was told that the security checks requested from Canada/Mexico are faster than the ones requested from India. perhaps they realize that people are more "stuck" in Canada or Mexico than the home country...

I don't think there is anything that you could do to speed it up or get an update. they usually call you once it is done..

If you call inbetween (the consulate) they might just say that they are still waiting..At the same time call them if it is more than average. For example, if they say that the check should be completed in 5 weeks. I would call them on the 5th week and see what is going on...

Hi all,
I applied for a H1B visa stamp revalidation(3rd renewal) at the Vancouver Consulate on Apr 23rd and my case has been sent for background check. I wanted to know if the processing time for security checks sent from consulates in Canada to the DOS are shorter than those sent from India. Do all cases go into the same pipeline or are they treated on a per consulate basis? Also, is there any means to get case status updates or expedite this process?

Thanks in advance

I have a unique situation

-Came to US on B1/B2 June 2001
-Application for Change of Status from B1/B2 to F1 October 2001
-Approved for F1
-Graduated with BE in May 2006 and applied for OPT
-Approved and currently on OPT till June 30, 2007 (Legally stay in US till Aug 30 with two months of grace period after OPT)
-Applied for h1b with current employer and approved as of Oct 1, 07

Meanwhile, I never been to India.

Now... before I get out of status, I want to visit India or Canada to get my h1b stamped most likely in August at Mumabai consulate or Sept at somewhere in Canada... Shall you consider going Canada or India?

If Canada, I will need Canadian visitor visa so how and where to get that?

I am afraid to go to get my visa stamped?... Any suggestions/thoghts will be helpful and appriciated....:confused:

Stamping in Montreal

Gurus,

I don't see anyone getting stamping in Montreal, is there any problem/limitations at Montreal consulate. I got an appt for May end for H1 extn and my wife for H4 to F1 conversion, but want to make sure there are no problems with this.
I'm from India
Please let me know

H1 & H4 Visa Stamping in ottawa

Guys,

i am going for h1 visa stamping for extension(3 years). My labor is approved, wot should i write in ds156 when they ask..have you appiled for immigrant ...

please let me know and also the experience in ottawa.i have changed company from my initial company.what should i say when they ask me why i changed the company.

Thanks in advance..

Ram

I am still waiting on the administrative processing. You can check murthy.com forum which has good threads on administrative processing.
Hi Samia,
Did you get your visa? If so how long did it take?
I am stuck in Vancouver pending security clearance since January 2007. Thanks in advance.

Visa Stamping

Srikant,
I wrote in DS156 that employer has applied for Immigration and the visa officer asked for the I-140 submission application I luckly took with me from the attorney. Nothing more. About the question of changing the company have to consult gurus/attorney.
Thanks

Guys,

i am going for h1 visa stamping for extension(3 years). My labor is approved, wot should i write in ds156 when they ask..have you appiled for immigrant ...

please let me know and also the experience in ottawa.i have changed company from my initial company.what should i say when they ask me why i changed the company.

Thanks in advance..

Ram

hi,

mY LABOR HAS BEEN APPROVED . THEY HAVE NOT SUBMITTED MY i140 AS OF NOW.sO, SHOULD I WRITE THAT EMPLOYER HAS NOT APPLIED FOR IMMIGRATION OR SHOULD I WRITE APPLIED ..

tHANKS IN ADVANCE...

rAM..

Srikant,
I wrote in DS156 that employer has applied for Immigration and the visa officer asked for the I-140 submission application I luckly took with me from the attorney. Nothing more. About the question of changing the company have to consult gurus/attorney.
Thanks

Billofempire:

What document you took from your attorney as a proof of filing I-140? Is it the receipt notice?

Thanks.

Question on Fee Structure and forms of acceptance

Folks,
Can someone pl. elaborate the fee structure for Ottawa,Canada and also the form(dd/cash) in which it is accepted.
I have an appointment on Thursday and I am landing Wednesday in Ottawa.
I dont know if they accept cash - else i amascared i will have very little time for making a DD or some other form in which it is accepted.
Pl. let me know ASAP.
If the dd is accepted whom is it payable to - Is tyhere a straight link to Ottawa site where this is elaborated.
Thanks in Advance.

H4 visa issue

Hi, I am in H1B and my wife is in H4. We went to the US consulate in Ottawa to get the visa stamped on our passport. It was a very straight forward procedure and we went an hour earlier to the embassy. But we were allowed to get in the embassy only at the time of interview. Inside the embassy we were asked to pay the application fee, after that we were asked to wait to be called for the interview. For my wife they just took her finger prints (no question) and for me they asked some basic questions followed by finger printing, then we were told to collect our passport next day at 3.00PM.

After we collected our passport we just went over it at that moment but we didn’t realize that my wife’s visa was typed as H1B instead of H4. Unfortunately we noticed that mistake after we came back to US. I need advice on this issue, if anyone had same kind of bad experience? and best way to get it corrected. :confused:

Stuck in Toronto Canada

Please do notify us of your experience at the consulate.
Thanks

ok guys. After appearing for an interview in the embassy with my wife. He told us that they have to send my case again for intersecurity clearance and give us a yellow paper which have 221G. He says that i am definately eligible but he have to do this every time you apply for a visa.

I had booked a flight for Pakistan for my wife. and now looking for a room for rent so i can stay in canada and work remotely from toront.

I will suggest guys write canada telephone number in ds156 so if you cancel your US service you can still receive calls from embassy on your canada contact info.

feel free to PM me if more info required.

manwithnoname

Originally Posted by billofempire
Srikant,
Thanks

What document you took from your attorney as a proof of filing I-140? Is it the receipt notice?

Hi Samia,
Did you get your visa? If so how long did it take?
I am stuck in Vancouver pending security clearance since January 2007. Thanks in advance.

I was in Vancouver for visa stamping in November 2006 and received my passport next day. What kind of pending security clearance?

Pls help for H1B stamping in canada

Hi All,

my H1B stamping in passport expires in OCtober 2007, but i have H1 approval notice until 2009. so i want to go to Canada for stamping. Can anyone help which place in eastern is safe to attende for stamping, i have 3 years degree only with PGDCA.

And, how early i should attend ? can i attend in june or july or should i wait until Octoer comes? please help me

Billof empire,

Thanks for the replies..one more question. My passport is expiring somewhere in the later part of 2008 and my i 797 is till 2010.so should i get a new passport and go to visa stamping or can i go with the present passport which has juz over one year visa validity.

Thanks in Advance

Folks,
Can someone pl. elaborate the fee structure for Ottawa,Canada and also the form(dd/cash) in which it is accepted.
I have an appointment on Thursday and I am landing Wednesday in Ottawa.
I dont know if they accept cash - else i amascared i will have very little time for making a DD or some other form in which it is accepted.
Pl. let me know ASAP.
If the dd is accepted whom is it payable to - Is tyhere a straight link to Ottawa site where this is elaborated.
Thanks in Advance.

For Ottawa, Canada, you just need the 100 dollars in U.S. dollars in cash. Toronto is the only one in Canada that does not accept cash.
The link below has some information about it. http://www.amcits.com/visa_documentation.asp

Hope it helps. Can you post a message or email me at KLako12@gmail.com and let me know how the process was in Ottawa. I have an appointment there on 5/14 for my first H1-B stamping.