H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

I went to ottawa canada on april 2, got H1 and H4 stamping without any problem. when my family and i went up to the window after our name was called only 1 question was asked . If I am still working with the same employer . I went to get 7th year H1 extension revalidated. This was my first time going to canada. my first H1 was stamped in my home country. I was given a letter from my employer which requested a non immigrant visa on my behalf along with copies of all my fillings to uscis for example LC, approved I-140 .copies of certificates bachelors [ foreign ] with translation done by WES . WES is the approved place for doing translation of foreign certificates .their translation is accepted by US immigration.and masters [US ] I was surprise that after checking the documents all I was asked is if I was working for the same employer all the time. I visited the embassy on the 3rd and I was told to return the next day at 3pm to collect our passports.

Hello everyone,

here is my situation.

- Came to US in 08/1999 on F-1
- Graduated in 12/2004 with BS degree w/ 2 majors Comp Eng & Telecom
- Got married to a GC holder in 06/2004 (I-130 already approved as of 08/2004 waiting for visa number or spouse to become US citizen)
- Was on CPT from 09/2004 thru 12/2004 with Company A
- Was on OPT from 01/2005 thru 09/2005 with Company A
- On H1B with Company A from Oct 2005 through Mar 2007
- Recently changed job to Company B - Mar 2007
- Never went out of status either on F-1 or H1B
- Do not have common name (i don't think i do )

Going for stamping in Toronto on April 27th.

Questions:
I never went to India since Aug 1999 (because my family is in US). do you think that would create an issue?

Recently changed job and new employer pays monthly so when I go for interview will only have 1 paystub from new employer however I do have every single paystub from old employer since September 2004, without any gaps

what are the odds of getting rejected?

My spouse applied for my greencard since 08/2004 would that be an issue?

H-1B visa permits dual intent ... you should be okay. I would tell the truth about I-130 in the visa application form.

Congratulations tola,

Would you mind in responding to the following:

From which country you belongs to?
Was your previous H1 expired? If so, how long?
Did you hire any attorney or went by yourself?
Your experience at US Canadian border?

If possible, please reply to the above questions, so that myself and other fellows have some more information.

Thanks,

I went to ottawa canada on april 2, got H1 and H4 stamping without any problem. when my family and i went up to the window after our name was called only 1 question was asked . If I am still working with the same employer . I went to get 7th year H1 extension revalidated. This was my first time going to canada. my first H1 was stamped in my home country. I was given a letter from my employer which requested a non immigrant visa on my behalf along with copies of all my fillings to uscis for example LC, approved I-140 .copies of certificates bachelors [ foreign ] with translation done by WES . WES is the approved place for doing translation of foreign certificates .their translation is accepted by US immigration.and masters [US ] I was surprise that after checking the documents all I was asked is if I was working for the same employer all the time. I visited the embassy on the 3rd and I was told to return the next day at 3pm to collect our passports.

I am from guyana, south america.6th year H1 visa expired on 2 december2006.before expiration lawyer filed for extension using premium processing . got extension in 2 weeks. Remained in US and did not travel until april 2 when i went to ottawa for visa revalidation in passport. I traveled by plane. Experience with canadian immigration . they are polite. the first thing asked why are you visiting canada after your reply. officer asked for was visa appointment letter. she looked at it then stamped passport and i left. When leaving at airport there are also US immigration officers stationed at ottawa airport.After passing through customs you go to the US officers desks and they check your passport see the visa and issue you a new I-94 . you then go to the boarding gate and await your flight. On arrival in US no immigration check. just walk out the plane and go for your baggage and get a taxi. If you go to ottawa the Mariott hotel is just 15 minutes away. If you walk at my pace you get there in 10 minutes. Hope my answer is helpful.

Personal Pick up

I have an appointment scheduled for May 23 at Toronto to renew my H1B stamping. I have an appointment @ 8am.

1. I couldn't find any information on their website for personal pick up for the passport. But after reading this forum it seems they do next day personal pick up.

Could someone please confirm that personal pick up doesn't need any special cases?

Thanks,
AG

WARNING
Those trying to go for Visa Stamping in Canada or some place else must be careful . I am stranded in Ottawa along with several others for the last five days from April 10TH,2007 till further notice. US consulate's computor system is down and passports can not be returned till their system is repaired.
We lost non-refubdable air tickets and facing unwanted expenditure . Employers are fuming.

Last edited by a moderator:
WARNING
Those trying to go for Visa Stamping in Canada or some place else must be careful . I am stranded in Ottawa along with several others for the last five days from April 10TH,2007 till further notice. US consulate's computor system is down and passports can not be returned till their system is repaired.
We lost non-refubdable air tickets and facing unwanted expenditure . Employers are fuming.

Thanks for the timely update. I also have an appointment there soon but will be looking for your updates before coming there.

Originally entered US on B1 B2

Hey guys,

I originally entered into US in July 2002 on a B1 visa. Filed for an H1 Dec'02 and got an approval in Jan'03. I also renewed it in Dec'05 untill Dec'08. I work for a cell phone company as a tech. I would like to visit India. Can I also go to canada and get my passport stamped or is it only for people who actually came to US with a H1 stamped on their passport?
Is there anyone here who is in similar situation. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Guys,

I have appointment on Monday(4/16). I have called consulate yesterday regarding the database down . They said that everything was restored on Thursday. Does that mean, are they processing any backlogs ?
I am in fix now as I have booked all my arrangements including hotel and air(again non-refundables:confused: ).

billofempire : Can you please update with more current information?

Thanks,
Nuvvula

Quote:
Originally Posted by billofempire
WARNING

Thanks for the timely update. I also have an appointment there soon but will be looking for your updates before coming there.

Help to denial of F-1 reinstatemet

Hello everyone:

In Oct.2004, I was denied of my F-1 reinstatement by US immigration office, and I left US in that month, and back to Canada as I have Canadian PR.

Now I have a question, as my wife is still working in US, and I want to apply for H-4 visa to visit my wife. Do I have trouble for my H-4 visa?

Thanks.

Riverfish

Why was the F1 reinstatement denied ? Were you out of ststus ?

Hello everyone:

In Oct.2004, I was denied of my F-1 reinstatement by US immigration office, and I left US in that month, and back to Canada as I have Canadian PR.

Now I have a question, as my wife is still working in US, and I want to apply for H-4 visa to visit my wife. Do I have trouble for my H-4 visa?

Thanks.

Riverfish

Any Updates

WARNING

Hi Bill
do you have any updates on this. I am planning for April 19th appointment for my H1b revalidation and my wifes H4 to H1 .I hope you got your passport back.
Please advice.
thanks
chint001

Getting appointment

Guru's,
Is there any trick in getting an appt in Canadian consulate. I have been trying to get an appt at either Montreal, Ottawa or Toronto for last 1 week but everything is full. I was up early on Monday to see if the 6th wk appt opens up but there was nothing. I don't understand how can it get full.

Anybody know when things open up

Ottawa is very easy to get an appt. Montreal is also OK. Toronto is the toughest to get an appt. Appointments for Toronto are difficult to get.
Try searching around 6 or 7 PM in the evening. Ive had good luck at that time in the past.

Guru's,
Is there any trick in getting an appt in Canadian consulate. I have been trying to get an appt at either Montreal, Ottawa or Toronto for last 1 week but everything is full. I was up early on Monday to see if the 6th wk appt opens up but there was nothing. I don't understand how can it get full.

Anybody know when things open up
asterixrc,

There is no trick to getting an appt. You just have to check the site often. According to the site FAQ "New appointments are added to the website randomly between the hours of 7am and 10pm Eastern time". Also, you might already know this info but you can only check consulate appt availability up to several weeks. For example:
Montreal - you can only get appts upto 6 weeks in advance,
Ottawa - 6 weeks in advance,
Toronto - 4 weeks in advance.

Hope this helps.

I have an appointment scheduled for May 23 at Toronto to renew my H1B stamping. I have an appointment @ 8am.

1. I couldn't find any information on their website for personal pick up for the passport. But after reading this forum it seems they do next day personal pick up.

Could someone please confirm that personal pick up doesn't need any special cases?

Thanks,
AG
Hey goel_ar,

Everyone picks up their passport the next day from the consulate. The consulate will give you a receipt for your passport after your appt/interview. Show that receipt between 3-4pm (pick up time) the next day at the security office outside the consulate and they will give you your passport. The owner of the passport can have someone else pick up the passport for him/her just as long the receipt is shown. This was my experience at the Toronto consulate. I am not sure about other US consulates in Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
Promlems in Ottawa..

I am yet new to this site. I have already placed two questions here after reading about the delays in Ottawa US conuslate regarding stamping H1B in the passports due to their computer failures. I am worried as my appointment there is next week. Can someone throw light on the situation now and of any very recent experience in Canada. Please help

I just made an appointment for getting my H1 stamped in Ottawa and in the appointment letter it says, they are no longer returning the passports the same day. It may take 3 min days to get the stamped passport back.

Is this really true? I mean, immiadvice got his back the same day, right?

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

chimi..