H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Approved with pending GC?

attended american consulate ottawa for h1-b visa .it hardly took 30 seconds to get visa

1.Approved 140
2.8th year extension(3 years)

reached 9:15,paid 100$ at the 7th counter.
called after 45 minutes to counter 3.

Me:hello
Vo:hello and took index fingers scan
vo.so your company helping for GC
me: yes
Vo : please pick your passport tommrrow at 3pm

that's all it is

thanks

Hey GVR,

Appreciate your posting here.

Can I ask what's the status of your GC application. I've also applied for my GC. My LC via old app (EB3) is approved and LC via PERM is pending.

hi everyone;

do I need to get canadian visa before I cross the border to get my passport stamped since I am 8th h1 extention. I am planning to drive by the way. Please help me if someone knows?

Thanks in advance

Crossing US-Canadian Border

attended american consulate ottawa for h1-b visa .it hardly took 30 seconds to get visa

1.Approved 140

that's all it is

thanks

Did you get canadian visa before you cross the border?

That depends on what passport you hold. You either need a visa or you can visit Canada visa free. Canada does not issue visas at the border or upon entry.

hi everyone;
do I need to get canadian visa before I cross the border to get my passport stamped since I am 8th h1 extention. I am planning to drive by the way. Please help me if someone knows?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi triple Citizen;

Thanks for the reply. Yes your case is okay b'coz you are triple citizen. What about the rest of the world like india, china, or japan...........

Hey Triple Citizen,

I have a quick question for you. Why did you go to canada for visa stamping if you have citizenship of Pak, US and Canada?

Please let me know on this if nothing personal.

Thanks,

O ok,

Can you or any one else let me know about the following:

I am from Pak. and came to US in 2001 on H1. I got my visa stamp from Islamabad. That visa got expire in March 2003 and I did not visit back to Pak since, I came. Its more than 6 years now. I am on job and maintaining my status from the day one. Recently got a three years ext. (7,8 and 9) and now plannin to go to Canada for Visa revalidation.

My family also joined me in 2002 on H4 and staying with me since then.

As I said, we are going to Canada to revalidate our visas, so I need to know, if there is any issues in revalidation, keeping in mind that our earlier visas got expire 4 years ago, but we have the same types of visas stamped on our passport?

As I need to take off from my work and also need to take off my kids from their schools, so I am really concerned about this.

Will appriciate for you or any one else, who can share their experience.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Which country you belongs to?

1.Approved 140

that's all it is

thanks

Successful H1-B stamping in Toronto

I and my spouse went for our H1-B stamping in Toronto on Apr 2nd. We took only one appointment for both of us. I just booked the appointment and added him as a dependent although he also was going for a H1 stamping. I went for my H4 to H1 stamping and my spouse was for H1-B with a change of employer.

When we were entering Canada, they asked us what is our citizenship and for the passport, why we are in Canada, what we are doing in US, whether we have anything to declare, any cash in excess of 10K and asked us to go to the immigration building. We parked our car there and went inside the building. They asked us to show our appointment letter, I-797, and they stamped our passport.

We stayed at Comfort Suites, which is appr. 2km from the consulate and we walked to the consulate. It is like 15-20 min walk. It was a nice walk, although it was little chill. Traffic was bad there, no observance of the speed limit and even on a Sunday evening the highways were busy.

We were there at the consulate 15 minutes before our appointment time. We entered the building in less than 10 minutes. Before entering the building the security guy checks your appointment letter and your passport. As soon as you enter the building you have a security check where they screen your belongings. After the security check, they ask you to stand in a separate line(right side), where a lady ask to keep your DS156, DS157, I-797, bank deposit receipt and passport in the file provided by them. She glanced at the documents and asked me to correct my name in the DS157, basically to write my name in mother tongue. After while we were let inside the room where all the windows for finger print, document submission and interviews exists and stood in the line to submit the documents in one of the windows. When we submitted our documents, they took out our old I-94s and checked the DS156 and DS157. The lady behind the window verified the passport details in the DS156 form. She mentioned that the background color in the photo was little darker so there was a chance that I would be asked to take another picture. This should not be a problem, since there was a photo station inside the consulate itself. I did not check how much it would cost though. She also corrected the address where am living in my DS156, ‘cause for some reason it had the country as my home country instead of US. Also they write for what visa you are applying for in the DS156 form at the top right corner. For me they wrote by mistake as H4, since I had a H4 stamping in my passport and I did not notice that until I was interviewed. So just watch out when they fill out the form.

After submitting the form, we had to go out of the room to join another line (left side), since all the chairs in the room were occupied, for our finger printing. After the finger printing we had to wait in the room for our interview. Finally the big moment came and we were called for our interview. The office seemed very nice, in fact all the officers seemed very polite and nice.
The officer first turned to my husband and asked the following question.

VO: What are you doing in US?
He: I am working as AAA at BBB company. This company does so and so and these are my responsibilities (explained his job duties).

The officer then turned to me and asked the following question
VO: So what are you doing in the US mam?
Her: I am working at XXX as YYY. Started to explain my duties…

The officer stopped me and questioned if even I was applying for H1-B, since in the form at the top right corner they wrote it as H4 (The lady who took my documents wrote as H4).I was very glad that the office asked me what I was doing; otherwise I don’t know what would have happened. The officer just corrected my application form. He asked my husband what kind of company he was working for, noted down something in the computer and gave the ticket to collect our passports the next day. We just thanked him and left. After coming out we were very relieved and glad that they took note of our correct status. They will hold on to your I-797 and give it the next day with your passport.

The next day, we went around 2:45, collected our passport/I-797 in the window outside the consulate, verified if everything was correct and left.

When I entered US, the officer at the POE asked my husband, what he is doing US, whom he works for, where he stays and for how long. He said that we might new a I94 and asked to park our car and get inside the immigration building for a new I-94. The officer inside our building mentioned that since we already have the I-94 in the I797 we don't have to pay anything, they will just take all the information and give a new I-94. But there was another officer who said that we don't need a new I-94. So they took all the information from the I-799, finger print and photograph us, stamped the immigration in the passport with the H1-B expiration date and we left. We did not get a new I-94. They just asked us to carry the whole I-797 or both lower portions of the I-797 when we have to leave and enter the country so that they could verify the expiration dates.

Overall it was a good experience. We pretty much took all our documents. Pay stubs, bank statements, previous I-797, LCA/I-129, W2s, 1040s, employment verification letter, offer letter, masters and bachelors degree/transcript, I-20s, OPT card, (both of us had masters from US), and SSN card. I did not see any rejection, although couple of them were put in security clearance.

I used to read the forum before my appointment and thanks to everyone for sharing their experience. Good luck to everyone going for their stamping.

A clarification

Hi:

Thanks for your tips. I am going mid May to Ottawa for my stamping (h1b and wife's h4). My question is regarding my 2 kids. Do thy let kids in? I have no place to leave them.

Thanks
This was my experience in short.

I had visa appointment on a monday (Mar 19, 2007). You are not allowed to take anything besides the documents (only in folders) and wallet. The cell phones and remote car keys can be deposted at the security gate and they give you a token to collect it later.

Inside there is a documents check-in counter where they check for correctness of the forms filled in and they would take your passport, I-797 and $100 visa fee. If you have filled out anything incorrectly, there are a few terminals inside where you can fillout the forms again and print it out. You wouldnt have to go outside consulate for anything. After documents check-in You have to wait until one of the VO calls your name to their counter.

I went to a male VO and he was nice and polite. I was a bit concerned going to him because he was asking a little more questions to the applicants compared to the other lady VOs. The general questions that one can expect:

1. Where did you complete MS?
2. Who is your employer? what do they do?
3. How many employees are in your company?
4. Who is your client?
5. What do you do at Client site?
6. Can I see your MS degree certificate?
7. Can I see your employer letter?
8. Can I see your LCA and I-129?
9. How many years have you been in the US and what did you do during that period?

All basic questions. After I was granted visa, I was given a token to collect the passport the next day at 3. I went in 15-20 mins early as there is usually a huge line pile up for passport collection. I could say I had a very postive experience at the consulate. I stayed in Econo Lodge in Rue Rideau St. If you book through Orbitz or Yahoo you get a good deal for a night compared to calling the hotel directly and booking. Also there is a good amount of buses running or cabs to get to the consulate from virtually anywhere in downtown.

Hope my note is useful to you. Good luck for your visa interview!!

Hi:

Thanks for your tips. I am going mid May to Ottawa for my stamping (h1b and wife's h4). My question is regarding my 2 kids. Do thy let kids in? I have no place to leave them.

Thanks

canadian visa from Islamabad

I was interviewed in Toronto for H1b on 2/28 and my case was sent for name check to DOS. Now I am in Islamabad waiting for the email form the US embassy in Toroto. I will need an other canadian visit visa since I had a single entry visa before.
Does any one know if I should apply for canadian visa from Islamabad based on 221(g) I got from Toronto or should I wait for the email from the embassy?
Thanks

Did you appear by yourself or your higher some attorney? Incase of attorney, I would suggest to ask you attorney and incase of yourself, then my suggestion would be to contact the US Embassy in Toronto.

Would you share about your experience in Toronto?

Thanks and Good Luck,

I was interviewed in Toronto for H1b on 2/28 and my case was sent for name check to DOS. Now I am in Islamabad waiting for the email form the US embassy in Toroto. I will need an other canadian visit visa since I had a single entry visa before.
Does any one know if I should apply for canadian visa from Islamabad based on 221(g) I got from Toronto or should I wait for the email from the embassy?
Thanks

hi praren,
I have one question.Where do u have your Bachelors and Masters from.I am cocerned because i have a BE (Non IT) from India and no Masters.I am planning to go for H1 1 renewal to Toronto.
Pl let me know if it is ok as i do not have a Masters from US.

Not having a degree from US should not be a problem. As long as you have a degree from a reasonably big school it should be fine. The idea is that they should believe your docs. If you have just a diploma/certificate, then they become skeptical about the authenticity and then they want to verify (sometimes only).
The key is the authenticity of the docs. Take the original, just in case they want to see it. You should be fine...
hi praren,
I have one question.Where do u have your Bachelors and Masters from.I am cocerned because i have a BE (Non IT) from India and no Masters.I am planning to go for H1 1 renewal to Toronto.

Hello everyone,

here is my situation.

- Came to US in 08/1999 on F-1
- Graduated in 12/2004 with BS degree w/ 2 majors Comp Eng & Telecom
- Got married to a GC holder in 06/2004 (I-130 already approved as of 08/2004 waiting for visa number or spouse to become US citizen)
- Was on CPT from 09/2004 thru 12/2004 with Company A
- Was on OPT from 01/2005 thru 09/2005 with Company A
- On H1B with Company A from Oct 2005 through Mar 2007
- Recently changed job to Company B - Mar 2007
- Never went out of status either on F-1 or H1B
- Do not have common name (i don't think i do )

Going for stamping in Toronto on April 27th.

Questions:
I never went to India since Aug 1999 (because my family is in US). do you think that would create an issue?

Recently changed job and new employer pays monthly so when I go for interview will only have 1 paystub from new employer however I do have every single paystub from old employer since September 2004, without any gaps

what are the odds of getting rejected?

My spouse applied for my greencard since 08/2004 would that be an issue?

We had bachelors from India and Masters from US, but we were never asked to show our certificates. I knew few people who got their stamping in Toronto without masters in US. I believe if you have some experience working in US on H1 you should not have any problems. My advise would be to take all original documents and be confident during interview.

I didn't see any h1 rejections while I was there, I saw one guy who was questioned (interviewed) for a while, but he got his visa too.

hi praren,