H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Dear All
I held F1 student visa (US degree), OPT and now on H-1B visa. I haven gone back home. I have March 26 appointment in Ottawa to get my H-1B visa stamp in my passport. Do you think it is risky to go.Also do I need a lawyer for this??

Ottawa experience

It was breeze, no problems at all.
I drove from NJ, I had Canadian Tourist visa. The Canada Immigation guy checked I797 and let us go.
At the consulate, we lined up at 8:30 for 9 AM appointment. After security check we were let in. Deposited the Visa fee, application form and 797. VO called after 20 minutes. First thing she says is 'everything is in order, please put you index finger on the pad'. Then she asked for employer's letter and that asked us to come again next day to collect the passports. She took off I94 and we got new ones when coming back to US.

revalidation in toronto

hey Wait4LaborNJ,
Do u have a degree from India or US.Cause i am in a Fix.I do not have a Degree/Masters from US so I am afraid I could have problems if i go for stamping to Toronto,Canada.
Also I want to know....just in case there are problems will they let me return to US.

Thanks in Advance.
H1Info_Indian

Degree

hey Wait4LaborNJ,
Do u have a degree from India or US.Cause i am in a Fix.I do not have a Degree/Masters from US so I am afraid I could have problems if i go for stamping to Toronto,Canada.
Also I want to know....just in case there are problems will they let me return to US.

Thanks in Advance.
H1Info_Indian

I had a BE degree from India, I had all my certificates with me, but they never asked. It was a 7th year extension. But I saw several H4-to-H1 stamping, and two first time H1 cases, (both were Canadians of Indian descent).
You will be stuck in Canada, if they give you 221g, but I don't see a reason.
I will definitely go again, if I need to.

Wait4Labor,

Was this the first time you had an H1 visa stamped on your passport? I have heard and experienced in person that the first time you have an H1-B stamped, requires a long wait time. I had to wait for 4 weeks (US consulate in Johannesburg, South Africa) for background checks. The second time (last year), I was issued my H1 visa the same day.

Thanks,

Jawad

Restamping

Wait4Labor,

Was this the first time you had an H1 visa stamped on your passport? I have heard and experienced in person that the first time you have an H1-B stamped, requires a long wait time. I had to wait for 4 weeks (US consulate in Johannesburg, South Africa) for background checks. The second time (last year), I was issued my H1 visa the same day.

Thanks,

Jawad
My first H1 was issued in Mumbai, then renewed twice in St Louis. This was fourth H1 on my passport.

Successful F1 to H1 Visa Stamping at Ottawa

This was my experience in short.

I had visa appointment on a monday (Mar 19, 2007). You are not allowed to take anything besides the documents (only in folders) and wallet. The cell phones and remote car keys can be deposted at the security gate and they give you a token to collect it later.

Inside there is a documents check-in counter where they check for correctness of the forms filled in and they would take your passport, I-797 and $100 visa fee. If you have filled out anything incorrectly, there are a few terminals inside where you can fillout the forms again and print it out. You wouldnt have to go outside consulate for anything. After documents check-in You have to wait until one of the VO calls your name to their counter.

I went to a male VO and he was nice and polite. I was a bit concerned going to him because he was asking a little more questions to the applicants compared to the other lady VOs. The general questions that one can expect:

1. Where did you complete MS?
2. Who is your employer? what do they do?
3. How many employees are in your company?
4. Who is your client?
5. What do you do at Client site?
6. Can I see your MS degree certificate?
7. Can I see your employer letter?
8. Can I see your LCA and I-129?
9. How many years have you been in the US and what did you do during that period?

All basic questions. After I was granted visa, I was given a token to collect the passport the next day at 3. I went in 15-20 mins early as there is usually a huge line pile up for passport collection. I could say I had a very postive experience at the consulate. I stayed in Econo Lodge in Rue Rideau St. If you book through Orbitz or Yahoo you get a good deal for a night compared to calling the hotel directly and booking. Also there is a good amount of buses running or cabs to get to the consulate from virtually anywhere in downtown.

Hope my note is useful to you. Good luck for your visa interview!!

Visa interview in Ottawa and Passport expiration

All,

I have my visa interview in Ottawa in mid-April. This would give me a 3 yr extension from Nov 2006-Nov 2009. Now, my passport expires in May 2009. Does anyone know if they will stamp it till Nov 2009 or May 2009. Any concerns? Thanks.

All,

I have my visa interview in Ottawa in mid-April. This would give me a 3 yr extension from Nov 2006-Nov 2009. Now, my passport expires in May 2009. Does anyone know if they will stamp it till Nov 2009 or May 2009. Any concerns? Thanks.

You will get it through November 2009. When you get the new passport, all visas in the old passport will remain valid till the expiry date mentioned in the visa.

stuck since 2/28

TexanCanadian,

I am stuck in Toronto since 2/28. My case is name check and I came here for H1b stamping.

to texancanadian

texancanadian,
I do have a common muslim last name. I was told by the VO that since I have a common last name, they have to get a security clearance and it will take 2-3 months. Let me know if you have any questions.

Yes I am working remotely but leaving for home country on Friday. I don't have PR, I came here in visit visa valid for 6 months.

wvguy,
Do you have PR of Canada ? Do you need any visa extension of Canada ?Are you working emotely for your firm in Canada ?

Need help for Canadian Temporary Resident Visa

Dear Friends, I ask for help...

I am planning to go to Ottawa next month for H1-B stamping and plan to apply for Canadian Temporary Resident visa by mail (Detroit consulate.)

do i need to provide the original I-797 approval notice with the application ? or sending a photocopy would be sufficient? Also is it important to attach the original I-94 with the passport?

thanks in advance for your advice...

attended american consulate ottawa for h1-b visa .it hardly took 30 seconds to get visa

1.Approved 140
2.8th year extension(3 years)

reached 9:15,paid 100$ at the 7th counter.
called after 45 minutes to counter 3.

Me:hello
Vo:hello and took index fingers scan
vo.so your company helping for GC
me: yes
Vo : please pick your passport tommrrow at 3pm

that's all it is

thanks

Dear Friends, I ask for help...

I am planning to go to Ottawa next month for H1-B stamping and plan to apply for Canadian Temporary Resident visa by mail (Detroit consulate.)

do i need to provide the original I-797 approval notice with the application ? or sending a photocopy would be sufficient? Also is it important to attach the original I-94 with the passport?

thanks in advance for your advice...

I got Canada temporary visitor's visa on March 16th 2007 from Detroit consulate. I send all the documents mentioned on their website along with ORIGINAL passport, ORIGINAL I-94 and ORIGINAL I-797. I used Fed-Ex overnight shipping as mentioned on their website. I got the passport, 797 and all other documents back in exactly 1 week. Just follow the instructions on their website.

HTH

thanks macmacky

thank you so much macmacky for your response!! i was also planning to use the fedex overnight and just got a fedex account for that purpose...