H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Just to let you guys know about my experience in Ottawa for my H1B stamping today. Before proceding to my H1B stamping experience, a little bit about my background.

I came to US in 1999. Did H1B revalidation at St,Louis for 2 times. Currently working as a software engineer for DOD (Department of Defense) project. Applied for 10 years H1B. I know...the traditional H1B is valid for upto 6 Years, whereas if you are working for a DoD project then your H1B is valid for upto 10 year. (DID ANYONE KNOW THAT). Got my H1B approved till 2009. Currently holds Canadian Green card too.

Booked the appt through Nvars.com for Oct 31st. Drove from Northern Virginia to Ottawa on 29th oct 2005.. No problem at the border. No question asked. Just the formal one.. about carrying tobacco or alcohol

Stayed at the hotel near the consulate. Just 3 min walk to the consulate. Booked through Priceline.com. Pretty cheap. For 3 days 140$.

Went today morning for my Interview with my family. I have two sons. One is a US Citizen.

Some advices
- IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO GO WITH YOUR WIFE PLEASE DO NOT TAKE PURSE. THEY WILL NOT ALLOW.

- IF YOU HAVE CAR KEYS WITH THE REMOTE CONTROL, YOU CAN LEAVE IT WITH THE SECURITY.

- ALSO MAKE SURE YOU CARRY ALL YOUR PAPERS ON A TRANSPARENT FOLDER.

Then went inside the consulate. The guard who checks your coat and everything asked me to go to counter number 7. Went to the counter. There you will need to pay the 100$ fees. In my case I paid 300$ in cash. They do accept cash. The documents you need there is your passport, your DS-156 form, DS - 157 and your H1B approval. Thats it. He will let you know that your name will be called.

My name was called around half an hour later. The lady behind the counter asked us for the finger print. Then she had asked us the question that they were wondering how INS approved the case till 2009.

She also asked me whether my company has applied for the labor. I said yes, but she did not ask for a proof.

I told her that if any alien working on a DoD project then the H1B is valid for 10 years. Then she asked me for the proof. She told me that she has not heard anything like that. Thank god, I took a print out from the INS site.

She told me that this is the first case they are handling. Also showed my ID Card. She said that she wanted to share this info with other collegues and steped out of the window, then came back a couple of minutes later. Gave us a receipt to pay the fees for 150$ , for me, my wife and my child. Asked us to collect the passport next day around 3:00 PM.

That's it.

Overall it is pretty easy to get your stamping if you are already in H1B. Also for the Visa issuance fees, 50$ they also take credit card.

If you guys wanted to know more, shoot me an email or send an instant message, I would be happy to help you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kosu,
Congratulations!!
Was there any question asked at Canada POE as you drove your own car ? What papers you carried for your car ?
I heard no need to pay visa issuance fee if you have a Canada PR. In your case you paid $150. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

thanks for narrating your experience. i have quick question, my 6 years on H1b is expiring in March 2006. i have a new H1 extension(i-797) for another 3 years and i want to get my passport stamped with this new H1.....

i looked up the US consulate website for toronto and it said you can't take an appointment till 10 days before the expiration of your current H1B visa...is that true? can i get my new H1B stamped in December even when my old H1 b visa is going to expire in march 2006.
thanks.....

kosu said:
Just to let you guys know about my experience in Ottawa for my H1B stamping today. Before proceding to my H1B stamping experience, a little bit about my background.

I came to US in 1999. Did H1B revalidation at St,Louis for 2 times. Currently working as a software engineer for DOD (Department of Defense) project. Applied for 10 years H1B. I know...the traditional H1B is valid for upto 6 Years, whereas if you are working for a DoD project then your H1B is valid for upto 10 year. (DID ANYONE KNOW THAT). Got my H1B approved till 2009. Currently holds Canadian Green card too.

Booked the appt through Nvars.com for Oct 31st. Drove from Northern Virginia to Ottawa on 29th oct 2005.. No problem at the border. No question asked. Just the formal one.. about carrying tobacco or alcohol

Stayed at the hotel near the consulate. Just 3 min walk to the consulate. Booked through Priceline.com. Pretty cheap. For 3 days 140$.

Went today morning for my Interview with my family. I have two sons. One is a US Citizen.

Some advices
- IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO GO WITH YOUR WIFE PLEASE DO NOT TAKE PURSE. THEY WILL NOT ALLOW.

- IF YOU HAVE CAR KEYS WITH THE REMOTE CONTROL, YOU CAN LEAVE IT WITH THE SECURITY.

Then went inside the consulate. The guard who checks your coat and everything asked me to go to counter number 7. Went to the counter. There you will need to pay the 100$ fees. In my case I paid 300$ in cash. They do accept cash. The documents you need there is your passport, your DS-156 form, DS - 157 and your H1B approval. Thats it. He will let you know that your name will be called.

My name was called around half an hour later. The lady behind the counter asked us for the finger print. Then she had asked us the question that they were wondering how INS approved the case till 2009.

She also asked me whether my company has applied for the labor. I said yes, but she did not ask for a proof.

I told her that if any alien working on a DoD project then the H1B is valid for 10 years. Then she asked me for the proof. She told me that she has not heard anything like that. Thank god, I took a print out from the INS site.

She told me that this is the first case they are handling. Also showed my ID Card. She said that she wanted to share this info with other collegues and steped out of the window, then came back a couple of minutes later. Gave us a receipt to pay the fees for 150$ , for me, my wife and my child. Asked us to collect the passport next day around 3:00 PM.

That's it.

Overall it is pretty easy to get your stamping if you are already in H1B. Also for the Visa issuance fees, 50$ they also take credit card.

If you guys wanted to know more, shoot me an email or send an instant message, I would be happy to help you guys.

wpc said:
Kosu,
Congratulations!!
Was there any question asked at Canada POE as you drove your own car ? What papers you carried for your car ?
I heard no need to pay visa issuance fee if you have a Canada PR. In your case you paid $150. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hi wpc,

I have already canadian PR. That is what I showed at the Canadian POE. I did not carry any papers for my car. At the POE they only asked if you are going to take back your car to USA. I said yes. That's it.

At the time when you are paying your 100$ H1B fees, they asked me whether I was a canadian PR. I said yes, but still they insisted on paying the 50$. For me I need to pay 150$ ( me, my wife and my son). I dont know why.

Urgent- H-1 B Visa Stamping

I have been in the U.S since Aug. 1998. My F-1 visa stamping expired in December 2000. I continued on my F-1 till November 2002. In, Nov. 2002, I went directly into H-1B without OPT. However, I have not had a visa stamping on my H-1B yet. I have been in status in the U.S. all throughout the last three years; though I changed a couple of employers. My last employer sponsored my labor certification; but there was a restructuring there, so I had to change my employer. I have all my paystubs and I-797's, current I-94. Would it be prudent for me to apply for a visa stamping on my passport through Canada. Please reply.

kosu said:

Some advices

That's it.

Kosu,
Thanks for your answer. We're landing first time in Canada with my family as a Immigrants. We have an appointment at Ottawa consulate for H1b1 and H4 revalidation (7th year extn). My LC is filed on Oct 2002 but haven't heard yet. My PP has 2 visa revalidation by mail from ST Louis, MO office.
Hope all will go well at visa interview.

Hi Wpc,

Do not worry.. That should be really a piece of cake for you. Hope everthing goes well with your H1B stamping.

Urgent need of a reply here

have been in the U.S since Aug. 1998. My F-1 visa stamping expired in December 2000. I continued on my F-1 till November 2002. In, Nov. 2002, I went directly into H-1B without OPT. However, I have not had a visa stamping on my H-1B yet. I have been in status in the U.S. all throughout the last three years; though I changed a couple of employers. My last employer sponsored my labor certification; but there was a restructuring there, so I had to change my employer. I have all my paystubs and I-797's, current I-94. Would it be prudent for me to apply for a visa stamping on my passport through Canada. Please reply.

Hi kosu:

Thank you for sharing your experience. Could you let us know what's the duration of the visa? is it 10 years as same as your H1-B? Also do you know what is this "you can't take an appointment till 10 days before the expiration of your current H1B visa" that nishokie mentioned in his/her post? Thanks!

You should be good to go. If you do mention to the consular that you had to change jobs due to restructuring then make sure that you have paystubs or something else which will show that there was no gap (laid off) between the 2 jobs. Mentioning restructuring will bring "lay off" in people's mind and in which case you will need to show that you were employed the whole time...
Yours should be a straight forward case. (I am guessing you are in IT)

gcfriend75 said:
have been in the U.S since Aug. 1998. My F-1 visa stamping expired in December 2000. I continued on my F-1 till November 2002. In, Nov. 2002, I went directly into H-1B without OPT. However, I have not had a visa stamping on my H-1B yet. I have been in status in the U.S. all throughout the last three years; though I changed a couple of employers. My last employer sponsored my labor certification; but there was a restructuring there, so I had to change my employer. I have all my paystubs and I-797's, current I-94. Would it be prudent for me to apply for a visa stamping on my passport through Canada. Please reply.

Thanks a lot

Appreciate for your quick reply. Well, for me there was no gap in employment. I mean I found a new job, one week before restructuring took place, so I was saved I guess. Also, I am actually in a IT related field in biotech. Anyway, which consulate would be better: Canada or Mexico?

ela6 said:
You should be good to go. If you do mention to the consular that you had to change jobs due to restructuring then make sure that you have paystubs or something else which will show that there was no gap (laid off) between the 2 jobs. Mentioning restructuring will bring "lay off" in people's mind and in which case you will need to show that you were employed the whole time...
Yours should be a straight forward case. (I am guessing you are in IT)

Going for H1B stamping in Ottawa .... esp by pakistani people

I have seen that owing to the name problem pakistani are more than likely to go though a background check. My appointment is scheduled for Dec 12th at Ottawa. It would great if any one who has already gone through Ottawa for H1B stamping or is actually waiting for one (preferably pakistani) can reply to this and share his/her experience.

I have been going through the posts and the website has been extremely helpful in obtaining answers for various questions. One thing is that i know two pakistanis who were rejected Canadian visit visa even though they had appointments ! I was wondering if one needs to take any special precautions in filling the Canadian Visa App ( its seems simple enough ).

I am actually planning on taking my passport back after the interview as there is a good chance there will a background check ( first name : Mohammad last name: Khan :p ) and i might as well spend that time in pakistan. Has anyone done that before and what was the experience ? Will that have a negative impact on the app ? I am just not sure.

Hi there,
if you are in a filed related to biotech, it could trigger a security check. If your job falls under (Technology alert list), then you might be referred to security check. Tijuana, Mexico refers a lot of people to security check. At least a while ago, it was possible to get back into the country even if the visa has not been renewed. So, the bottom line is that at Tijuana, you will be put for a security check. However, you will be able to get back into the country while waiting for the security check to clear. Hope other guys who went recently can update us.

My understanding is that if you are referred to security check in Canada, you won't be able to enter back. (just my understanding, I might be wrong). Let us wait to hear from other folks.

Just to give you an example, one of the Indian guys who had applied for visa renewal was working for a pure IT firm. However, the consular found a course on computer security on his graduate school transcript That triggered a security check for him.

If you are in the east cost, try some other place (other than Tijuana) as they would ask you why you came all the way from east cost to Tijuana.

Good luck.
Ela
gcfriend75 said:
Appreciate for your quick reply. Well, for me there was no gap in employment. I mean I found a new job, one week before restructuring took place, so I was saved I guess. Also, I am actually in a IT related field in biotech. Anyway, which consulate would be better: Canada or Mexico?

Friends and Gurus...

I am due for my 2nd term H1-B revalidation. I changed my job about 2 years ago. I was laid of from my previous job but got my new job in about 5 weeks time. if the severance period was taken in account it comes down to 3 weeks.

The important question is....

1. Whats the chances of my revalidation being denied because of this 3 weeks or 5 weeks laid off period....

2. is their a better way of putting things in front of the consulate (any reasoning or any speciifc documents..). I have all my W2, and paychecks uptodate other than for that 1 month period.

Gurus kindly advice???

Please do post Latest Toronto Exp

Going for 7th Year Extension.

I have booked my appointment @ Toronto in the week of Jan'06. I spoke to the lady and she was saying that they will give back the Passport only after three days..Is it True we need to wait for 3 days before we get back the passport ?

Please post your recent exp from Toronto Consulate.

Thanks,
GCDreamz

H1B visa stamp with Malaysian Transit Visa

Got stamping done in Vancouver this monday.Included the Transit visa on form 157 , no issues or questions asked in the interview. If folks have any questions let me know..

Kosu,
Thanks! My problem is that I'm not able to find my original I-797 and I-94. :( I called ottawa consulate and they allowed me for interview with attorney certified approval.
Now I've to convince many officers at Canada POE, Security at Ottawa consulate, and a visa officer. If everything goes well then finally I've to convince border officer at US POE. My dependens have a original approval (H4).
I would not take a risk for visa revalidation but my Canada Immigrant visa is expiring on Nov 16th. Really very very confused. :confused:
I will appreciate suggestions from our great folks in this forum.

Guys: If my visa is cancelled/expired and I get caught up in admin processing, can I still enter US using 797 validity? Or would I HAVE to wait for visa?