H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

web_guru2003 said:
I have read on this forum that VO has asked for the letter from client during few interviews.

Thats the major thing. They asked me and i belive almost all of them.

Visa Appointment

I have been struggling to get an appointment through the online system for the last couple of weeks and nothing seems to opening up. Does anyone have any tips on how to get an appointment in Toronto? I am going for 7th yr H1B stamping. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Try from 12.00 am to 3.00 am. Ppl have gotten during this time.

NoClue-LaborGC said:
I have been struggling to get an appointment through the online system for the last couple of weeks and nothing seems to opening up. Does anyone have any tips on how to get an appointment in Toronto? I am going for 7th yr H1B stamping. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

web_guru2003 said:
so do you have a format?

There is no specific format. This all was in my letter, so I can advice you that, that you can include your job title, when did you join the company, your annual salary+ if any bonus, company profile like what they are doing, their annual turnover, number of employees and I think if they can add their years of establishment.
This will be more than enough....

Also include a letter of experience from your past company if you have any but if not then don’t bother.

Appointmen in Vancouver.

Hi guys,
I was wondering if the US consulate in Vancouver gives the passport back the same day as the interview or you have to wait an extra day.
My appointment is on Nov. 9th.
Any help will be appriciated.

Thank you

Re:

My friend who got his H1-B stamping done last month in Vancouver said they return the passports the next day around 3 PM. I believe this is a standard practice in all the US consulates in Canada. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Visa appointment at Calgary

Hi friends,

I'm going to Calgary Canada on 21st November as i have visa appointment on Novemeber 22nd> if anybody has the appointment at the same day. Pls let me know. I have already booked hotel @ Days inn. You can stay with me,if you want.

You can reach me @ exchanger_2003@yahoo.com

You were able to collect your passport the same day correct? Could you please suggest a place to stay based on your experience that is close/walking distance to the consulate?

Thanks very much!

Neo

dc_newbie said:
All – I just got back from a successful H-1B (7th and 8th year)
stamping in Calgary. Thanks to all those who posted their experience and
list of things to take.

The whole process was very smooth with a little bit of waiting. Had a
9.30AM appt. got there at 9am. Was out by 11am. The CO just asked three
basic questions about how long I have worked at my present house, when I
expect to get my Green Card and whether I owned or rented my place. The
passports were ready for pickup at 3pm same day. Talked to a bunch of
people there and actually one could hear everyone’s interview going on.
Everyone got their visa, a few with some more detailed questions.
Document wise, I submitted the following Passport, I797A, 100 in Cash,
Copy of LCA and I29 and Employer letter along with the DS 156 and 157.
Wasn’t asked for anything else, even though I was prepared with a couple
of folders full.

A lot of H-1B people before me were asked to show their Employer ID
cards and a couple were asked to show their degree copies. One guy was
actually asked for a pay stub.

All in all a very smooth experience. Thanks to all who posted their
experiences and helped me prepare. Anybody has any questions, please
post here, I will check back periodically.

H1B revalidation at Montreal, Oct 31, 2006

Just came back from a successful H1B revalidation (8th year) in Montreal. Details:

1. Incidentally, if you've already had an H1B before, you do NOT need to follow the "10 days rule". In my case, I was revalidating H1B more than 2 months before my current validity period expired. After reading some conflicting information in this thread, I called up the NVARS (800) number and confirmed with the guy on the phone before I went to Montreal. When I was in Montreal, either the consulate didn't bother to check the expiration of the current validity date, or they did and found no issues with it. So, in effect, "10 days rule" applies only to first time H1B stamping.

2. I was interviewed twice, once each by two different officers.

Conversation during the first interview:

a. Are you renewing your H1B?
Had to confirm for her that this is a 1-year extension based on pending 485. She asked how long it might take for the GC to come through. I said I have no idea (EB3 category for India, PD: July 2001) - could be 3 months, could be years. Explained to her that for many months now, the queue has been stuck around April 2001, so there is no visibility.

b. She wanted to see the approved 797A (of course) and the LCA. Also, she wanted to see the employment letter. I suppose this is very important.

c. She also checked the paystub copies. First she was a bit confused about the date format on the paystubs (10/15 instead of 15/10, which is what you'd see in Canada). Then there was a brief digression where she said the US is the only country that writes month/day instead of day/month.

d. She wanted to know if I had any relatives in the US (which I don't).

Overall a very normal, zero-hassle interview. VO asked me to take a seat and wait to be called again.

Second interview:
First, fingerprinting. Had to press quite hard to get a usable scan. It might be a good idea to wash your hands before and after the fingerprinting.

Next, she asked quite a few details about my employer:
- how many employees
- since I'd been working there for 6+ years, how come I hadn't gotten promoted? Well, she didn't pose the question like that, but I think that was her intent. Anyway, had to explain that there were only 2 levels in my company - the boss, and everyone else. She was OK with that explanation.
- asked about clients that my employer had. I named two.
- asked if I worked at the clients' sites, or at the employer's site.

Then she wanted to know where my family members were (parents, siblings). Asked again if I had any family in the US, had to say 'No' again. Finally asked me to pay the reciprocity fees, and return to her window. Did all that, got a receipt for the visa that was to be picked up the next day at 3PM. The VO kept my passport and the original 797A. I was inside the consulate around 9.15am, and had gotten out by about 11.30am. The next day, I actually reached the consulate late (around 3.40PM) but still managed to get my passport, visa, and original 797A.

One very interesting, and rather amusing thing, about the Montreal consulate:
Once you pass the security check, they ask you to go through a door, down a flight of stairs, and then take the elevator to floor 19, and to go to window 13.

Well, first-timers to the Montreal consulate manage to get to floor 19 without issues. Then they get out of the elevator and see a whole bunch of people sitting in chairs, waiting. Then they turn left and see windows numbered 14 to 19. They turn right, and see windows 1-5 and a sign for windows 6-12. No window 13. So then they walk back and forth (in front of all the waiting people) between the two areas, wondering where the heck window 13 is. :) Since I had been there before, I knew there was a "trick" to this, and window 13 is actually inside a corridor to the left (before the row of 14-19). It still took me by surprise, though, since I had been there 4 years ago and I was hoping they had "fixed" it by now.

Another thing: security is very serious and adamant about disallowing bags into the building. They will ask you to get rid of the bag (put it in your car, locker in shopping mall, whatever) before they allow you inside. The best thing to use would be transparent, plastic folders (plastic so that rain doesn't get to your documents while you are waiting outside) with your appointment letter right on top.

Very long post already, hope some of this helps.

McBull said:
You are right abt the bags, they did not allow my file folder inspite of the appointment letter saying that "all bags are subjected to search...".

The appointment letter does say what you quoted, but there is a separate "security notice" letter in the application package that lists backpacks and bags among the things that are prohibited from being taken into the building. Not sure why there is this inconsistency in the documentation.

Another thing that I found frustrating about the NVARS appointment system is the fact that they do not indicate on their website (when you confirm the appointment time) that the "10 day rule" applies only to first-time H1B applicants. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who had quite a few anxious moments about this, and only a phone call to the NVARS support line resolved the issue.

You are right. The "10 day rule" is stupid. I had lot of difficulty scheduling appointment within 10 days of H1B start date...cancelled at Vancouver after getting Montreal Consulate.
I think sometime back, a person on this forum managed to get first H1 visa at Vancouver well in advance. But not sure if he was F1-OPT to H1B.

Also, one thing I noticed at security check ..... If you are a US Citizen, you can even bring Cell Phones inside consulate. These security rules should be uniform to all.

marooned42 said:
The appointment letter does say what you quoted, but there is a separate "security notice" letter in the application package that lists backpacks and bags among the things that are prohibited from being taken into the building. Not sure why there is this inconsistency in the documentation.

Another thing that I found frustrating about the NVARS appointment system is the fact that they do not indicate on their website (when you confirm the appointment time) that the "10 day rule" applies only to first-time H1B applicants. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who had quite a few anxious moments about this, and only a phone call to the NVARS support line resolved the issue.

10-day rule what is that? I apologize for being ignorant. My H1B was approved in August and I have been working in the US.

I am planning to get my visa stamped in Vancover. This is my first H1 stamping.

Would the 10-day rule apply......please advise

nickmetha said:
I am planning to get my visa stamped in Vancover. This is my first H1 stamping.

Would the 10-day rule apply......please advise

When you book your appointment using NVARS, on the appointment confirmation page, you will see a few notes on what documents to bring. One of the notes is (quoted verbatim):

"Reciprocity fee (if applicable) I-797 (either I-797A or I-797B) (I-797C is not acceptable) Must be original and full page. Appointment should be made ten days prior to the validity date on the I-797 or after the validity date has passed."

That is what I'm referring to when I mention the "10 day rule". If you have already had an H1B visa stamped in your passport before, the 10 day rule will not apply to you. You need to adhere to this rule only if this will be the first H1B stamp in your passport. In my case (multiple H1B visas stamped before), my current H1B was set to expire in Jan 2007, and yet I was trying to revalidate the H1B in Oct 2006 (more than 2 months earlier, instead of just 10 days earlier).

I am just wondering if there are any muslims (specially Pakistanis) who recently got their visa stamped from Toronto (or anywhere in Canada) without subject to name check/background processing? :confused:

H4 797 Approval

Hi Guys,
I have my appointment for H1B 3 year extention at calagry on NOV 28th. When I did my H1B transfer with my new employer, I-797 approval was only done for me and I got the approval till 2009. My wife didnt have any 797 H4 approval. She has an I-797 approval from my previous employer till 2008.

Does she needs to have a I-797 approval for her H4 extension or her H4 stamping is depended on my I797?

NDH

Webguru_2003,
I am wondering why you have picked up Canada this time for visa stamping? You mentioned that you had twice got a visa stamp from Islamabad and your wife is going to apply for H-4 stamp through Isb. So, why Canada for yourself this time? What were your experiences last 2 times from Canada?

I wonder how much difference does the consulate selection make? They all send the cases to Washington for further clearance. The criteria is pretty much the same also. Do you think Washington handles the cases from Canadian embassies, more quickly then from Pakistani embassy? There are examples of people getting stuck in Canada for 2 - 3 months also... so what is the benefit?

Regarding your last question of Muslims getting their stamps without additional name checks, my friend got it in August. Just in 2 days. But these are individual cases. Very little assessment can be made about a specific case based on the history of the other people. A friend of mine got his frist H1-B stamp in 2003 within 2 days from Canada. He went again for a stamp to Canada last year, and got stuck for 3 months.

My wife actually got visa last week. No questions asked other than

"What does your hubby do?" and "Show me the marriage contract"

As far as I am concerned, my last Stamp was in 2001 from ISB. Gone are those days when we used to get stamped passport next day of interview in ISB. Now its taking at least 2-3 months and in many cases 8-10 months for males. Canada is still better than ISB even if you are subject to background check where avg background check takes around 5weeks-8weeks (which i dont mind as I am going on 5 week vacations anyway) and this is my first stamping from Canda.

a101 said:
Webguru_2003,
I am wondering why you have picked up Canada this time for visa stamping? You mentioned that you had twice got a visa stamp from Islamabad and your wife is going to apply for H-4 stamp through Isb. So, why Canada for yourself this time? What were your experiences last 2 times from Canada?

I wonder how much difference does the consulate selection make? They all send the cases to Washington for further clearance. The criteria is pretty much the same also. Do you think Washington handles the cases from Canadian embassies, more quickly then from Pakistani embassy? There are examples of people getting stuck in Canada for 2 - 3 months also... so what is the benefit?

Regarding your last question of Muslims getting their stamps without additional name checks, my friend got it in August. Just in 2 days. But these are individual cases. Very little assessment can be made about a specific case based on the history of the other people. A friend of mine got his frist H1-B stamp in 2003 within 2 days from Canada. He went again for a stamp to Canada last year, and got stuck for 3 months.