H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Hi HSM74,

I am really sorry to hear about your case. Hey why dont you try contacting a lawyer there ? One of my friends in Calgary got rejected and with a help of a lawyer, he got his visa approved later.

Sorry to ask this question but I hope you can help me I have my appointment in Toronto in 2 weeks. I also had 2 months gap in 2003. But after that, I have everything in order. Did the consulate officerr asked you all your w2's or was it only the last year w2's or was it only for the present company ?

Vivek

ismile said:
Thanks GCOnly. My question is also about applying for canadian visa at the Canadian consulate in US to travel to canada for H4 Visa stamping. I am not sure if I go there to get visit visa for canada and they look at my passport with expired H4 visa but valid H4 and I-94 extension, they could still give me canadian visa?

Yes you can get canadian visitor visa with valid I-797 and I-94. This is confirmed.

ismile said:
Thanks GCOnly. My question is also about applying for canadian visa at the Canadian consulate in US to travel to canada for H4 Visa stamping. I am not sure if I go there to get visit visa for canada and they look at my passport with expired H4 visa but valid H4 and I-94 extension, they could still give me canadian visa?
Yes

i guess this is most probably going to sound as if it has already been covered before. But what is the current situation with pakistanis getting their visa revalidated in Canada? Im a finance professional with an undergraduate degree from a US university.

Also once i do get validation, how can i travel to pakistan?

I have been in US for 8 years (F1-H1-F2-H1). I haven't been outside US.
My son is in China. He applied F2 and was denied before. VO asked me to go back to apply with him. My question is "do I have any risk of background check/security check if I go back to have my H1 visa stamped for the first time" when I apply also H4 for my son?
Thanks.

Chris

youtoo said:
I have been in US for 8 years (F1-H1-F2-H1). I haven't been outside US.
My son is in China. He applied F2 and was denied before. VO asked me to go back to apply with him. My question is "do I have any risk of background check/security check if I go back to have my H1 visa stamped for the first time" when I apply also H4 for my son?
Thanks.

Chris
As far as I know, in order for children of a H1 visa holder to get H4 visa, they must be minor, although I am not 100% sure.

Visa Revalidation

I am on H1 from last 3 years and wanna go to toronto for visa stamping....My first visa was stamped in London, UK as i was there on Work Permit.......I basically belongs to Pakistan.......
My question is can i apply in canada even i have no visa stamp from home country......

Thanks

Home country visa stamping

I am from Pakistan, and have been in the US for he last 11 yearson on, J-1, O-1 and now H-1 status. (have not been out of US for the last 5 years)
I have 485 Pending and AP available.

Now I am planning to go to Ottawa for H-1 stamping, but never had any Visa stamped from home country ( except initial B-1 visit visa, and I even dont have that proof either because old passport was lost some time ago)

Please advise me about this situation.
How picky are they about having some visa stamped from home country?

GCOnly said:
As far as I know, in order for children of a H1 visa holder to get H4 visa, they must be minor, although I am not 100% sure.

What do you mean? Can you tell me in detail?
Also, can I ask my wife (step mother of my son) H4 to go back to apply together with my son?

First Time Stamping in Ottawa 19Dec

Hi Everyone,

I am in a very critical situation :confused: ..So I would be truely greatful if you guys can help me.

I came to US on H4 with my husband after marriage in 2003 Feb.My H1 was valid from 2004 Oct.I started working from Jan 2005.Since then I am continuously on project(Software programmer/Analyst).

My Masters degree from India is in Physics and I have 1 and half years India experience in software prior to coming here.

Now I am going for first time stamping to Ottawa on 19th Dec.

Please help and let me know if there is any risk of refusal...as my husband is already in india and waiting for his embassy appointment at New Delhi(He had to go as his mother is seriously ill).

Please let me know what care I should take so that everything goes smoothly.

Thanks and Regards,

garvin

You need to take the docs that shows that you never fell out of status and did not go on bench (W-2s , tax papers from previous years). Take degree originals, a letter from employer saying that you are a full-time employee (permanent employee) and have been working since xxxx. Take the latest pay slips (if you have - for three months). This should help you.

garvin said:
Hi Everyone,

I am in a very critical situation :confused: ..So I would be truely greatful if you guys can help me.

I came to US on H4 with my husband after marriage in 2003 Feb.My H1 was valid from 2004 Oct.I started working from Jan 2005.Since then I am continuously on project(Software programmer/Analyst).

My Masters degree from India is in Physics and I have 1 and half years India experience in software prior to coming here.

Now I am going for first time stamping to Ottawa on 19th Dec.

Please help and let me know if there is any risk of refusal...as my husband is already in india and waiting for his embassy appointment at New Delhi(He had to go as his mother is seriously ill).

Please let me know what care I should take so that everything goes smoothly.

Thanks and Regards,

garvin

I might be missing something. My understanding is that you are eligible to enter the country using AP. If you already have the AP, why do you need to get a H1 stamp. I am assuming that you have EAD. If you don't, you should be able to get one in 2-3 months. My suggestion is apply for EAD if you don't have one. That way, when you get back, you can use the EAD and AP to get back in (if you travel outside US).

The only time you need a H1 stamp is if you are particular about maintaining H1 status. If you do, let us know the reason and we can see if you can do something else...
iak426 said:
I am from Pakistan, and have been in the US for he last 11 yearson on, J-1, O-1 and now H-1 status. (have not been out of US for the last 5 years)
I have 485 Pending and AP available.

Now I am planning to go to Ottawa for H-1 stamping, but never had any Visa stamped from home country ( except initial B-1 visit visa, and I even dont have that proof either because old passport was lost some time ago)

Please advise me about this situation.
How picky are they about having some visa stamped from home country?

Successful H1-B stamping in Ottawa on 30 November

Thanks to Innocent4Ever. Your guide helped me a lot. Thanks to all forum members too.

I made an appointment for Wednesday, 30 Nov 8:00am. I made it a point to take the 8:00 am appointment. Chances are, the interviewers won't deny you unless the papers are majorly screwed up. People usually don't start their day by making someone unhappy.

My background - I have a US degree. Then changed 3 companies. I had one H1 stamped from Mumbai. This one was the extension H1. I am a landed immigrant in Canada (basically i have canadian GC). But I don't live there.

I flew to Canada. I didn't need a visa, I have a GC. While entering Canda, on the Customs form I had written home address as my friend's Canadian address (For some reason I thought that would make the process easier. But it turned out, that was a problem. Basically because that was a lie. I managed to confuse the immigration officer by telling him I thought they meant home address as in home address in Canada. I gave my friend's address since thats where I "landed" and that was my "home" in Canada). The officer asked me to change that to my US address. And let me in.

I had booked a suite at Best Western Cartier Hotel @ US$67 per night. I booked it for 2 nights. Its a decent place. Cable/pool/wireless internet access (bring your own laptop). They say they have a restaurant, but I never saw it open. Cab fare from airport to hotel CAN$30. On checking in I asked the reception to give me a wake up call at 6:00am.

Next morning, took a cab to the consulate. CAN$5.85. Reached there at about 7:35. It takes not more than 5 minutes to reach the consulate by cab. There were 7 people there. At about 10 minutes to 8:00 the guard started letting us in after checking our appointment/interview letter. ALL electronic items should be left behind. A word of advice, take only your documents. After the security check we sat in a room with about 25 chairs. There were 7 (maybe 8) windows. 4 of our interest. 3 for interviewing 1 for paying the money. After about 10 mins window number 7 opened and the person there asked us to come one by one and pay the money and give the forms. At this window I submitted D156, D157, I-797 cash US$100 all kept in my passport. At about 8:15 the first window opened and then the second and then the third. The interviewers call people by name and also announce the window number. for e.g. "xxx please come to window number xxx"

My name was called at about 9:00. I went to the 3rd window. There was a lady there. Both other were men. I was hoping I get called by one of the mens. For some reason, an old american lady taking my interview made me feel a little nervous. Anyways, she proved me wrong. She was quite friendly. My interview lasted for 2 minutes.

Her - Good morning
Me - Good morning
(She finger printed me)
Her - Please show me the letter that your company must have given you for us
(I handed a clipped stack of papers. It had the letter and all the documents that my company had filed for my H1 applcation.)
Her - Oh you have all the documents, that is good (She did seem pleased)
Me - "smile"
(She just browsed through the documents)
(Then she started looking through the forms)
Her - So you are a landed immigrant in Canda
Me - Yes mam, I landed on xxx at xxx.
Her - But you don't live here
Me - No mam
(Looking at the forms again)
Her - You did your education in the US
Me - Yes mam, xxx university
Her - Can I see the certificate ? No need to give it to me, just hold it up so I can see it
(I took the certificate and held it up for her to see)
Her - Ok thats good.
Her - Sign here
(I had forgotten to sign the D-157)
Me - Oh I'm sorry
(Signed and dated)
Her - you can come tomorrow and collect your passport

She gave me a ticket and the receipt for the US$100 that I had paid earlier. The ticket had a T for Thursday circled and 3:00pm marked on it. I didn't have to pay the extra US$50 since I am a landed immigrant in Canada.

I walked back to my hotel (about 18 minutes). There are couple of museums at a walking distance from the hotel. I went to one - Canadian Civilization museum. There is an excellent eat-out place (non vegeterian) St.Hubert at a walking distance less than 5 minutes (Something similar to Applebee's). There is also a McDonalds at walking distance (around 5 minutes). There is a retarded place called Cafe Henry's Burgers too. Stay away from it. Totally usless service. One of those places which will sniff you some food and ask a price for it. One of those places where everyone is dressed formally. And if you still want to try it, dress up ! Not to mention, the waiter did get an earful of my blessings on my way out.

Next day I went to the consulate at 2:30pm. I was the only one. The guard outside asked me for the ticket. Looked up my passport and gave it to me. I had the visa stamped on it. Please check for the correct information on the visa.

Flying back home, give yourself an additional 30/45 minutes as they do the finger-printing immigration and customs before you enter the gates. This was a surprise for me. But a good one. Because I was thinking I would have to go through the winding lines at the entry point in US.

Everything went good for me (except the little tussle at canadian entry point. But that was my own stupidity). carry all your documents, dont be too nervous. People at Ottawa consulate are very friendly.

Documents I carried with me -

File 1:
Passport
I-797
Forms - 156 (printout of the online filled form)/157 (photo stapled)
US$100

File 2:
appointment Letter from my employer
Employer documents - Letter to the consulate, all documents my employer filed for my H1
Pay stubs (6 - 3 were recent, 3 were random)
Form 158 (I carried this with me just in case. But no one asked me for it. 156/157 were good enough.)
Recommendation Letters from past employers
Some paystubs from past employers
Appointment Letters from past employers, internship, assistantship
Photocopy of I-797 from past employers

File 3:
Degree certificates (US and India)

Hope this helps.
Ignore the typos.
Good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Please advise

Hi,
Sorry for posting in this forum. I am going to Tijuana, Mexico in February (2006) to get my H1B stamped. My H1B visa stamp from my previous employer expires in March, 2006. My question is...if my visa is denied in the consulate in Mexico or they ask me to go back to India (home country) to get my stamping, can I reenter the country with
the earlier visa stamp and I94 (from previous employer I mentioned) that is valid till March??
Please advise...

Visa Revalidation

Hello,
I Would like to ask my question again, that if somebody has not got any stamp from his home country, can he get H1 Stamp from Canada, as i got mine first in UK ....................Appretiate it........

Employer Letter

Hi AmitD,

Can you please post a sample of the employer letter on the forum. That will help a lot! Thanks!!

AmitD said:
Thanks to Innocent4Ever. Your guide helped me a lot. Thanks to all forum members too.

I made an appointment for Wednesday, 30 Nov 8:00am. I made it a point to take the 8:00 am appointment. Chances are, the interviewers won't deny you unless the papers are majorly screwed up. People usually don't start their day by making someone unhappy.

My background - I have a US degree. Then changed 3 companies. I had one H1 stamped from Mumbai. This one was the extension H1. I am a landed immigrant in Canada (basically i have canadian GC). But I don't live there.

I flew to Canada. I didn't need a visa, I have a GC. While entering Canda, on the Customs form I had written home address as my friend's Canadian address (For some reason I thought that would make the process easier. But it turned out, that was a problem. Basically because that was a lie. I managed to confuse the immigration officer by telling him I thought they meant home address as in home address in Canada. I gave my friend's address since thats where I "landed" and that was my "home" in Canada). The officer asked me to change that to my US address. And let me in.

I had booked a suite at Best Western Cartier Hotel @ US$67 per night. I booked it for 2 nights. Its a decent place. Cable/pool/wireless internet access (bring your own laptop). They say they have a restaurant, but I never saw it open. Cab fare from airport to hotel CAN$30. On checking in I asked the reception to give me a wake up call at 6:00am.

Next morning, took a cab to the consulate. CAN$5.85. Reached there at about 7:35. It takes not more than 5 minutes to reach the consulate by cab. There were 7 people there. At about 10 minutes to 8:00 the guard started letting us in after checking our appointment/interview letter. ALL electronic items should be left behind. A word of advice, take only your documents. After the security check we sat in a room with about 25 chairs. There were 7 (maybe 8) windows. 4 of our interest. 3 for interviewing 1 for paying the money. After about 10 mins window number 7 opened and the person there asked us to come one by one and pay the money and give the forms. At this window I submitted D156, D157, I-797 cash US$100 all kept in my passport. At about 8:15 the first window opened and then the second and then the third. The interviewers call people by name and also announce the window number. for e.g. "xxx please come to window number xxx"

My name was called at about 9:00. I went to the 3rd window. There was a lady there. Both other were men. I was hoping I get called by one of the mens. For some reason, an old american lady taking my interview made me feel a little nervous. Anyways, she proved me wrong. She was quite friendly. My interview lasted for 2 minutes.

Her - Good morning
Me - Good morning
(She finger printed me)
Her - Please show me the letter that your company must have given you for us
(I handed a clipped stack of papers. It had the letter and all the documents that my company had filed for my H1 applcation.)
Her - Oh you have all the documents, that is good (She did seem pleased)
Me - "smile"
(She just browsed through the documents)
(Then she started looking through the forms)
Her - So you are a landed immigrant in Canda
Me - Yes mam, I landed on xxx at xxx.
Her - But you don't live here
Me - No mam
(Looking at the forms again)
Her - You did your education in the US
Me - Yes mam, xxx university
Her - Can I see the certificate ? No need to give it to me, just hold it up so I can see it
(I took the certificate and held it up for her to see)
Her - Ok thats good.
Her - Sign here
(I had forgotten to sign the D-157)
Me - Oh I'm sorry
(Signed and dated)
Her - you can come tomorrow and collect your passport

She gave me a ticket and the receipt for the US$100 that I had paid earlier. The ticket had a T for Thursday circled and 3:00pm marked on it. I didn't have to pay the extra US$50 since I am a landed immigrant in Canada.

I walked back to my hotel (about 18 minutes). There are couple of museums at a walking distance from the hotel. I went to one - Canadian Civilization museum. There is an excellent eat-out place (non vegeterian) St.Hubert at a walking distance less than 5 minutes (Something similar to Applebee's). There is also a McDonalds at walking distance (around 5 minutes). There is a retarded place called Cafe Henry's Burgers too. Stay away from it. Totally usless service. One of those places which will sniff you some food and ask a price for it. One of those places where everyone is dressed formally. And if you still want to try it, dress up ! Not to mention, the waiter did get an earful of my blessings on my way out.

Next day I went to the consulate at 2:30pm. I was the only one. The guard outside asked me for the ticket. Looked up my passport and gave it to me. I had the visa stamped on it. Please check for the correct information on the visa.

Flying back home, give yourself an additional 30/45 minutes as they do the finger-printing immigration and customs before you enter the gates. This was a surprise for me. But a good one. Because I was thinking I would have to go through the winding lines at the entry point in US.

Everything went good for me (except the little tussle at canadian entry point. But that was my own stupidity). carry all your documents, dont be too nervous. People at Ottawa consulate are very friendly.

Documents I carried with me -

File 1:
Passport
I-797
Forms - 156 (printout of the online filled form)/157 (photo stapled)
US$100

File 2:
appointment Letter from my employer
Employer documents - Letter to the consulate, all documents my employer filed for my H1
Pay stubs (6 - 3 were recent, 3 were random)
Form 158 (I carried this with me just in case. But no one asked me for it. 156/157 were good enough.)
Recommendation Letters from past employers
Some paystubs from past employers
Appointment Letters from past employers, internship, assistantship
Photocopy of I-797 from past employers

File 3:
Degree certificates (US and India)

Hope this helps.
Ignore the typos.
Good luck :)

Hello All,

I went for H1 stamping on Dec 1 in Ottawa. This was my second H1 renewal.I had my first stamp from India. Reached the consulate at around 8.00 am in the morning. After checking appointment letter I was in. My number was called one of the consular officer.

Me: Good morning
Officer: Hmm..Good morning

Officer: So you are on H1
Me: Yes

Officer: Please provide all original docs for all previous status held and
company letter
Me: I gave them all previous H1 approval, pay stubs and company letter.

Officer: What does your company do ?
Me: Its a software services firm which provides consulting services.

Officer: So its a body shopping company
Me: No . Not exactly. They get contracts for implementing projects and they have lot of in house development

Officer:please provide your past experience letters and your educational credentials.
Me: Handed over my BE certificate from India (Pune University), previous exp letters

Officer: Do you have pictures of your company?
Me: Pictures ? No.

Officer: Since your educational credentials are not from US or canada , it is difficult for me to evaluate your qualifications. Please bring additional documents showing your evaluation and work experience

Me; But I already got a H1 Visa from India before with this same engineering degree. I have completed my BE from reputed eng college from Pune univ.

Officer: This is not a rejection. I just need more evidence to evaluate your education, experience and company information. Please provide an evaluation for your non-US degree, please provide all past experience letters that clearly state your salary as per all past I-129 petition along with all previous I-129 petition copies and company's financial docs for past 5 years.

Me: But..But

Officer: You can re-apply after you give all the required documents .Thank you.

I hate to say that the officer was very rude and was not ready to listen to anything. Now I have to somehow get all those documents from Canada as I cannot re-enter ...

If anyone has had similar experience please share. I am really upset and would really appreciate any help I can get.

This is really irritating. How can you provide those documents from the previous companies ? Hardly anyone would have I 129 from the previous companies. I think the VO has gone mad. I think, you should ocntact a lawyer in that area and take their help.

I hope everything would go fine for you.

Thanks,
Vivek

Appointment thru nvars.com

Hi Forum,

I am trying to take H1 visa revalidation appointment in Toronto. What I don't understand is why there are certain dates where the number of visa appointment available is in negative. Does that mean people have taken appointment when there was no availability. I am confused here.. Please explain if you happen to know about this.
Also, as of today the earliest available date is Feb'13.. If you see any other available date . Kindly let me know.

Thanks,