H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

sanksin77 said:
Hi Forum,

I am trying to take H1 visa revalidation appointment in Toronto. What I don't understand is why there are certain dates where the number of visa appointment available is in negative. Does that mean people have taken appointment when there was no availability. I am confused here.. Please explain if you happen to know about this.
Also, as of today the earliest available date is Feb'13.. If you see any other available date . Kindly let me know.

Thanks,
4 interview slots are available on Jan 09 at Toronto Consulate. This status is as of 10:45 pm CST on 12/06/05. So, hurry and book asap.

Successful Visa Stamping at Vancouver

On this monday we had succesful H1B visa stamping at Vancouver, Canada. There were no rejections on that day and everybody who are on H1B got thier visas. Make sure to have 2 recent paystubs, Company letter, I-797. If you've change of address ,make sure that u've submitted AR-11 form before departure coz your name will be looked up on your address at the port of entry (Thats what happenned to us).

Congratulations!!!

Your education is from US or India? I have heard that there is some problem in H1 stamping if your BS/MS is not from US. I don't know this is true to what extent.
Please comment.

thanks,

INDIAH1USGC said:
Hi GCOnly - thanks for all the time and advice - we need more people like you.
Can you please let us know what documents are required for Canada's Visitor visa.

Wishing you the best.

Thanks.

Hey GCOnly ...

How was your stamping exp at Toronto ...Please share your exp with us which will be lots of help to all of us going to Toronto..

Awaiting,
Thanks n Advance.

sanksin77 said:
Congratulations!!!

Your education is from US or India? I have heard that there is some problem in H1 stamping if your BS/MS is not from US. I don't know this is true to what extent.
Please comment.

thanks,

Same case here also, I am going in the first week of Jan to Toronto - I donot have a degree from US ..

Please advice.

Experience

Hi Immigration_US,

COuld you provide us some more details regarding your visit to Vancouver. for e.g. what kind of questions were asked at the interview. Did you have any trouble getting into Canada / US.

Please that will be helpful, I have an appt. on Dec 16th

Thanks

INDIAH1USGC said:
Hey GCOnly ...

How was your stamping exp at Toronto ...Please share your exp with us which will be lots of help to all of us going to Toronto..

Awaiting,
Thanks n Advance.
I did not attend the interview in Toronto due to some unavoidable circumstances, otherwise I would have posted my experience here by now. I shall now attend the interview at Delhi instead.

h1b stamping

Hello all, I need some advise. I would like to get my H1B visa stamping done from Canada like in the next month. I am aware that I need a visa to enter Canada and I also need to make an appointment with US consulate in Canada. My questions:

1) Where in the US can I send my passport to get Canada entry visa stamping done like within few weeks? Will they make consideration for special cases like what if I have my interview date with us consulate already set?

2) I am planning on going to Quebec for my h1b stamping? Any thoughts or comments?

Help would be appreciated.

sanskin..
I've BE degree from India..

VMI..
No problems whatsoever at the both borders..
They asked paystubs (Not asked recent paystubs specifically but I've showed him, I-797 & letter from Employer)

sprint2004 said:
Hello all, I need some advise. I would like to get my H1B visa stamping done from Canada like in the next month. I am aware that I need a visa to enter Canada and I also need to make an appointment with US consulate in Canada. My questions:

1) Where in the US can I send my passport to get Canada entry visa stamping done like within few weeks? Will they make consideration for special cases like what if I have my interview date with us consulate already set?

http://gocanada.about.com/cs/bordercrossing/a/embassy_in_usa.htm
you can send your papers to them [2-3 weeks] or you can visit the embassy and get it the same day.

2) I am planning on going to Quebec for my h1b stamping? Any thoughts or comments?
- no idea

Help would be appreciated.

Some more questions

immigration_us said:
sanskin..
I've BE degree from India..

VMI..
No problems whatsoever at the both borders..
They asked paystubs (Not asked recent paystubs specifically but I've showed him, I-797 & letter from Employer)

Thanks for the response Immigration_US, I just have a few more questions.

1) Did you show the paystubs or they just ask you too ? The reason, I am concerned is that I don't have any paystubs after Sept. because of my "great" employer
2) What are the other questions regarding extension ? Did they ask any questions regarding intent of coming back ?

Thanks in advance and really appreciate your input. Dec 16th, I promise I will put the full transcripts in this forum

1) Did you show the paystubs or they just ask you too ? The reason, I am concerned is that I don't have any paystubs after Sept. because of my "great" employer
Ans: They did'nt ask..but I've showed it to him
2) What are the other questions regarding extension ? Did they ask any questions regarding intent of coming back ?
Ans: No questions on this..

anybody has been able to make visa appointments recently using nvars.com.

the site is evidently underconstruction for a long time.
[
QUOTE=GCOnly]4 interview slots are available on Jan 09 at Toronto Consulate. This status is as of 10:45 pm CST on 12/06/05. So, hurry and book asap.[/QUOTE]

Successful visa stamping in Vancouver

I got my visa stamped on Monday, 12th of Dec at Vancouver..I have a fulltime in CA(not consulting)
Only questions asked were :

1. Show your masters degree &
2. Your paystubs(presented him latest 2.. thats enuf !!!)

Vancouver is v cool. I dont think anybody was rejected except a Chinese girl with some issues(I am not aware of the issues thou).

Otherwise the common questions are
company letter, paystubs, what does your company do, masters degree, about clients(if you are a consultant), is your degree fron US ? where ?. I listened to like 15-20 interviews myself till my number was called and these were the only questions asked. Hope this helps you all and best of luck !!!!

Dear ela6

Thank you for the reply and comments. I am on H-1 status, and the the reason I am trying to get my H-1 visa stamp is that:

my 485 is Pending, and If it is refused (there are few possible reasons) I will have H1B status maintaind.

Also one of the lawyer I had consulted had scared me about the possible refusal to enter on AP, therefore I am trying to secure a back up plan for safe return.

[I]I might be missing something. My understanding is that you are eligible to enter the country using AP. If you already have the AP, why do you need to get a H1 stamp. I am assuming that you have EAD. If you don't, you should be able to get one in 2-3 months. My suggestion is apply for EAD if you don't have one. That way, when you get back, you can use the EAD and AP to get back in (if you travel outside US).

The only time you need a H1 stamp is if you are particular about maintaining H1 status. If you do, let us know the reason and we can see if you can do something else...

Quote:[/I]Originally Posted by iak426
I am from Pakistan, and have been in the US for he last 11 yearson on, J-1, O-1 and now H-1 status. (have not been out of US for the last 5 years)
I have 485 Pending and AP available.

Now I am planning to go to Ottawa for H-1 stamping, but never had any Visa stamped from home country ( except initial B-1 visit visa, and I even dont have that proof either because old passport was lost some time ago)

Please advise me about this situation.
How picky are they about having some visa stamped from home country?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
do EAD/AP and approved I797 (no visa stamp) not enable you to maiantain your h1b status? This is very curious.
The other thing that one could do is to apply for another I797 (& the accompanying I94) after they have entered the country using AP. This way they can save the trouble of applying for h1b visa stamp.
Read elsewhere that if one does get stuck in security check one can enter using AP.
QUOTE=iak426]Dear ela6

Thank you for the reply and comments. I am on H-1 status, and the the reason I am trying to get my H-1 visa stamp is that:

my 485 is Pending, and If it is refused (there are few possible reasons) I will have H1B status maintaind.

Also one of the lawyer I had consulted had scared me about the possible refusal to enter on AP, therefore I am trying to secure a back up plan for safe return.

[I]I might be missing something. My understanding is that you are eligible to enter the country using AP. If you already have the AP, why do you need to get a H1 stamp. I am assuming that you have EAD. If you don't, you should be able to get one in 2-3 months. My suggestion is apply for EAD if you don't have one. That way, when you get back, you can use the EAD and AP to get back in (if you travel outside US).

The only time you need a H1 stamp is if you are particular about maintaining H1 status. If you do, let us know the reason and we can see if you can do something else...

I am from Pakistan, and have been in the US for he last 11 yearson on, J-1, O-1 and now H-1 status. (have not been out of US for the last 5 years)

Now I am planning to go to Ottawa for H-1 stamping, but never had any Visa stamped from home country ( except initial B-1 visit visa, and I even dont have that proof either because old passport was lost some time ago)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Hi there,
My understanding is that your H1 clock does NOT run when you are on EAD. Perhaps, you want to get EAD. If something goes wrong with 485, you might be able to immediately apply for H1. That way, you get to save the H1 clock. In your case it might be better to be on EAD.
iak426 said:
Dear ela6

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

H1B Visa at Vancouver

Got my H1B Visa stamped at Vancouver, Canada.
The interview went smooth. Immigration officer asked where did I work? He also wanted to look at the paystubs. Also, I am not aware of any rejects that day.

Here are the do's and donts for Vancouver, Canada
1. Dont forget the Paystubs, W2s, Employment letter, Degree certificate. I paid the fees in cash.
2. There are 2 security checks (Ground floor and 20th floor). *Bags*, cellphones, electronic devices are absolutely not allowed. Try to organize documents in mult-pocket folders. Also, it is a pain to remove and wear the metal watches/belts, as it is additional item to handle.
3. When you collect your passport in the afternoon, do not take any bags/bulky documents as the security folks (1 person is rude, others are helpful) will ask you to move to the end of line.

I had to declare my traffic violation. I was speeding 100+ . I had to go to court to pay the fine $120 and got Careless Driving ticket.
My immigration lawyer recommended declaring this. The immigration officer questioned about the speeding violation. He appreciated that I was open about the issue. He added that such violation may or may not turn up in their database and it is better to declare them. These serious traffic violations (speeding above 20MPH) do not fall under the "Crime of Moral Turpitude" category and hence not an issue for immigration. However, they "could be" considered as a conviction as I had to appear in the court. (though I just paid a fine of $120).
USCIS Definition of conviction
Based on this experiance, folks with single DUI/DWI or serious traffic violations, be true and better talk to a immigration lawyer.

H1B Stamping

Hallo Speeding@100:

Can you give your attorney number, so that I can call him and talk about my situation, I am going to Canada for Stamping in January.

Speeding@100+ said:
Got my H1B Visa stamped at Vancouver, Canada.
The interview went smooth. Immigration officer asked where did I work? He also wanted to look at the paystubs. Also, I am not aware of any rejects that day.

Here are the do's and donts for Vancouver, Canada
1. Dont forget the Paystubs, W2s, Employment letter, Degree certificate. I paid the fees in cash.
2. There are 2 security checks (Ground floor and 20th floor). *Bags*, cellphones, electronic devices are absolutely not allowed. Try to organize documents in mult-pocket folders. Also, it is a pain to remove and wear the metal watches/belts, as it is additional item to handle.
3. When you collect your passport in the afternoon, do not take any bags/bulky documents as the security folks (1 person is rude, others are helpful) will ask you to move to the end of line.

I had to declare my traffic violation. I was speeding 100+ . I had to go to court to pay the fine $120 and got Careless Driving ticket.
My immigration lawyer recommended declaring this. The immigration officer questioned about the speeding violation. He appreciated that I was open about the issue. He added that such violation may or may not turn up in their database and it is better to declare them. These serious traffic violations (speeding above 20MPH) do not fall under the "Crime of Moral Turpitude" category and hence not an issue for immigration. However, they "could be" considered as a conviction as I had to appear in the court. (though I just paid a fine of $120).
USCIS Definition of conviction
Based on this experiance, folks with single DUI/DWI or serious traffic violations, be true and better talk to a immigration lawyer.

Immiadvice,

I made an appointment for getting my H4 stamped in Ottawa in this month ending. Could you please tell me what kind of documents they ask in interview? and how do we pay the visa fee for Ottawa consulate I mean we need take any Scotia bank money order or directly pay the visa fee in Consulate counter?
Does anyone have any idea about this?

Could you please send me a mail. my mail id is pasupuleti2@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Pasupuleti