H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Please advise me.....URGENT

Hello All-
I came to USA on H1B stamp in Chennai-India in 2002. That visa expired in 2003 December. I got immediate extension approval I-797 from Dec 2003 to Nov 2006. There is no problem with continuous status. My worry is "Can I go for Visa re-validation to Mexico after two years of expiry in the passport? Does it creat any problem? Please reply immediately? I have to go to Mexico next week.

Thanks for those who replied. I had transferred my H1 to a new employer a year ago but did not have project for 2 months. I guess w2 I got reflected this and did not match with I guess LC. But the consular only told me that I was getting a 221(g) because as per their evaluation I was not eligible to apply in any country other than India because of differences in LC and tax statements.

I have no choice now. I am currently booking for India. Such a inconvenience and headache , I did not even prepare for this. I thought I would be back within 2-3 days.

is there anybody can give me a advice regarding my question?

XMC21 said:
Hi all,

I am holding the Chinese passport and Canada Green Card, now I am working in US with H1-B, but I can not travel back to Asia due to the visa was twice entry and was expired already, could anybody tell me whether I can apply H1-B visa US consulate in Vancuvour and how to apply?

Thanks,
MC

again, please anyone answer this for me: do you need canadian visa to get revalidation on H4 ?

The current H4 visa is expired (obviously) but can you enter canada with same expired visa but all valid document and tell the border office that you are coming to canada for visa stamping? anyone with any experience on this please share. Thanks

It is advisable to carry following documents for the stamping:

Original I-797 Notice of Approval
Copy of I-129H form, LCA and support letter which were provided with the approval notice
Original passport valid for at least 6 months beyond the expiration date of the approval notice.
One passport photo
Completed form DS156
Completed Form DS157
Original education documents
Letter of current employment verification
Evidence of maintenance of status while in the U.S. including following:
Previous approval notices
W-2s and tax returns for the last 2 years
3 recent pay stubs

Good Luck for your stamping.

gcfriend75 said:
Hi GCOnly;

When you say 'thoroughly scrutized'; what sort of checks will I go through?
That you have maintained your status during your stay in USA on H1B visa. This can be proved by your W2s and Tax returns.

going_for_h1 said:
Hello All-
I came to USA on H1B stamp in Chennai-India in 2002. That visa expired in 2003 December. I got immediate extension approval I-797 from Dec 2003 to Nov 2006. There is no problem with continuous status. My worry is "Can I go for Visa re-validation to Mexico after two years of expiry in the passport? Does it creat any problem? Please reply immediately? I have to go to Mexico next week.
As long as you have an approved I797 petition that is still current and valid, you shouldn't have any problems appearing for a visa interview and getting the visa stamped. Refer to my post above about what documents need to be carried for the visa stamping.

ismile said:
again, please anyone answer this for me: do you need canadian visa to get revalidation on H4 ?

The current H4 visa is expired (obviously) but can you enter canada with same expired visa but all valid document and tell the border office that you are coming to canada for visa stamping? anyone with any experience on this please share. Thanks
There is no connection between a H4 visa and a canadian visa. If you do not already have a canadian visitor's visa or Canadian PR, you won't be allowed to enter Canada whether it's for H1 re-validation or for H4 revalidation.

If you are saying that your visa (stamp) has expired for the past two years, then there is absolutely no problem. You are not required to have a valid visa stamp all the time. You need it only when you travel.
So, relax and good luck for your trip.

going_for_h1 said:
Hello All-

GCOnly said:
There is no connection between a H4 visa and a canadian visa. If you do not already have a canadian visitor's visa or Canadian PR, you won't be allowed to enter Canada whether it's for H1 re-validation or for H4 revalidation.

Hi GCOnly - thanks for all the time and advice - we need more people like you.
Can you please let us know what documents are required for Canada's Visitor visa.

Wishing you the best.

Thanks.

INDIAH1USGC said:
Hi GCOnly - thanks for all the time and advice - we need more people like you.
Can you please let us know what documents are required for Canada's Visitor visa.

Wishing you the best.

Thanks.
Following is what I sent when I recently applied for the visitor's visa:

Original I-94
Original I797
Original Passport
Filled out Canada visitor's visa Application Form
Bank Statement
Employer's Letter
2 Passport Size Pics
Confirmation Letter from the US Consulate in Canada AND
Cashier's check for the Visa processing/issuing Fee which is $65 US for single and $130 US for multiple entry

Last edited by a moderator:
GCOnly said:
Following is what I sent when I recently applied for the visitor's visa:

Original I-94
Original I797
Original Passport
Filled out Canada visitor's visa Application Form
Bank Statement
Employer's Letter
2 Passport Size Pics
Confirmation Letter from the US Consulate in Canada AND
Cashier's check for the Visa processing/issuing Fee which is $65 US for single and $130 US for multiple entry

GCOnly - Thanks a lot for the info. You been of great help.
did you visit Toronto for stamping? I will be going in the First week of Jan.

INDIAH1USGC said:
GCOnly - Thanks a lot for the info. You been of great help.
did you visit Toronto for stamping? I will be going in the First week of Jan.
Not yet! Going in 1st week of Dec. I also sent 3 recent paystubs which I forgot to include in the above list of documents.

GCOnly said:
Not yet! Going in 1st week of Dec. I also sent 3 recent paystubs which I forgot to include in the above list of documents.

Thanks again for the info.
- Wishing you the very best.

Please Help!! Big Issue

Hi!
My Dad is having an open-Heart surgery in India around Mid-Feb.
I want to be with my family but here is my problem:-
Came to US as student in 2000.
Got H1 in April 2003,Current H1 expires on April 06.
Clean status never had any "Bench" period.
I will have a new employer from Jan but I don't want to wait 3 Months for stamping in Mumbai.
I wanted to go to Canada & get H1 stamp in Early Feb to avoid any further complications.
Any suggestions? is going to Canada & getting the Passport stamp an option?
how Long do I have to wait for visa processing in this case?
Any possible problems since I will have new employer?
Please advise,

GCOnly said:
can you apply (and get) canadian visitor visa although your H-4 visa is expired? i do not have canadian PR or canadian visa at this time. Does canadian consulate issue you a visitor visa if you tell them that you are going there for new visa stamping. Thanks.

ismile said:
can you apply (and get) canadian visitor visa although your H-4 visa is expired? i do not have canadian PR or canadian visa at this time. Does canadian consulate issue you a visitor visa if you tell them that you are going there for new visa stamping. Thanks.
H4 Visa is given based on an approved I539 petition or if it's for the first time, then it is given based on the spouse's approved H1. If you have an approved I 539 petition that still has at least 2-3 months on it, then you can apply for H4 visa at a US Consulate in Canada.

Thanks GCOnly. My question is also about applying for canadian visa at the Canadian consulate in US to travel to canada for H4 Visa stamping. I am not sure if I go there to get visit visa for canada and they look at my passport with expired H4 visa but valid H4 and I-94 extension, they could still give me canadian visa?