H1 Visa Experience Chennai Consulate

Yesterday my wife attended a visa interview at US Consulate in Chennai. It went very smooth. Here is how the interview went:

1) Visa officer: So you are working as a Pharmacist.

2) my wife: yes

3) Visa officer: can I see your original degree certificate?

4) my wife: presented the certificate

5) Visa officer: OK! go and pay the fee at the counter. You would receive your passport&visa by mail.

That's it. it took less than a minute for the interview.

Thanks
ind

Last edited by a moderator:
indgc123 said:
Yesterday my wife attended a visa interview at US Consulate in Chennai. It went very smooth. Here is how the interview went:

1) Visa officer: So you are working as a Pharmacist.

2) my wife: yes

3) Visa officer: can I see your original degree certificate?

4) my wife: presented the certificate

5) Visa officer: OK! go and pay the fee at the counter. You would receive your passport&visa by mail.

That's it. it took less than a minute for the interview.

Thanks
ind
You are so fortunate not having computer programmer (wife)

7th year Extension Visa

I got the 7th year H1 extension.
My old visa was expired in April 2005.

Currently I am in US. I am planning to go to India and get my visa stamped at Chennai consulate.

Will there be any problem in getting the visa in Chennai Consulate. If the visa is rejected, when can I apply again.

7th year exstension and appointment

I have a strange issue. I have a H1 work permit that expires in march 2006. That will also mark the sixth year. I am planning to apply for 7th year extn in oct 2006 (six months earlier).

The problem is: i got an appointment now for december 2005 for stamping . But this is with my current h1 (WAC#). i understand my 7th year h1 will come with a new WAC#. How do i incorporate that WAC# without disturbing my appointment. if i wait till i get the extn i wont have the appointment slot available

pl. help

I had a similar issue with my passport. I have applied for new passport after getting my appointmnet on old one.
I wrote this to Chennai Consulate they asked me to bring the old passport along and show that at the front office and have pp# corrected at the time of appointment.

Thanks
SAIK

Time it takes to get passport back

Hi,
Can someone post how long it takes to get the passport back once the visa is granted at the consulate ? I'm referring to getting a H1B visa revalidation at the chennai consulate ?

thanks

Urgent Help

Hey guys,
I have a passport which is valid for 20 years and i heard that we should update it for 10 years( I got this one from bangalore in 1999-2000) time.
Now iam travelling to india in Sep and i got appointment also around 2nd week.
Shall i update my passport here only or it is better not to change or update, iam travelling via frankfurt and coming back to atlanta, will there be any problem or issues with officers.
Please let me know so that i can mail and update my passport from huston(do you guys have an idea how many days it will take to get new passport from here).

thankyou,

Visa Interview

Hi,

i had my visa interview on 25th July,2005.

it was pretty cool.

I am an electrical engg grad working for an investment banking firm in IT dept.

I had graduated in Dec 2002 and got my first h1 done on Feb 20th 2004.(Had OPT till Feb 26th 2004). Then i transferred to another company on Sept 1st and worked till nov , and been working with current company till today

Here are the questions asked

1) show me ur Deg certificate(US degree)

2) what did you do after grad(Showed OPT)

3) What did you do between your current H1 And OPt (showed my previous 797 papers)

4) Show me your W2 for 2004(showed all 3 W2 forms)

Thats about it, he told me to pay the fees

...One of the things they do not mention on the site is (previous i-797's )

The visa officer wants to check if you were on status all times

thats about it ..

good luck all...

Dont be dettered by bad experiences posted on this site....

if you have a good salary (40k up) on W2 you should be fine!

Last edited by a moderator:
How long does it takes to get the Passport back

Hi IndiaJ0nes
Can you share us when did you recieve the passport? Do know is there any delay in getting the passport back.. To which city/town did you asked to mail the passport ?

Thanks in advance

Jay

indiaj0nes said:
Hi,

i had my visa interview on 25th July,2005.

it was pretty cool.

I am an electrical engg grad working for an investment banking firm in IT dept.

I had graduated in Dec 2002 and got my first h1 done on Feb 20th 2004.(Had OPT till Feb 26th 2004). Then i transferred to another company on Sept 1st and worked till nov , and been working with current company till today

Takes about 3-4 days

I attended for my h1b visa ( transfer ) on 2nd august and got my passport back on the 6th.

I stay in Hyderabad and usually it takes about 3-4 days. Make sure you have the pincode(mailing address ) right on your DS - 156 form.

Administrative processing and 221(g)

Guys,
I have all related documents from a reputed pharmacy company in US. I was told that my case was put under administrative processing and I have been waiting for close to an year. Whenever queried with the embassy, I get a reply that we will contact you once the investigation is done.
My issue was that I had done my MS in Pharmacology from UK and I had to extend my stay in UK beyond my visa limit in UK. I had appealed to the home department in UK and there was an appeals case that came up for hearing in October 2004. Unfortunately I had to come back to India for an emergency and I withdrew my case. This situation has raised the administrative processing flag at the Delhi embassy.
I am trying to get supportive documents from UK home land, but it is turning out to be very diffcult. Does anyone had similar experience or any suggestions.

Thanks guys

My Revalidation Experience at Chennai Embassy

Hi folks

I had my appointment on 9th sept'05 at chennai.

I went to india to get married after i got my 7th yr h1 extension , didnt receive my advance payrole

The officer asked me following documents

1) My Skills
2) My Previous Experience Letters
3) My Engineering Certificates.

That's it , it lasted 5 minutes, both me and my wife got out visa within 3 days.

thanks again to everybody, i follow the posts here, so i felt that it is my responsibility to post my experiences.

Thanks

Urgent!!!H-1 Visa Query at Chennai consulate

Hi guys,

Today my sister attended for the visa interview at chennai consulate.Her qualification is Bachelor of commerce and PG Diploma in Computer Applications.She has Got 6 years of experience in Oracle Applications in India.Visa officer took her original H-1 papers and said that he is sending her papers to home land security and stamped in her passport as Application Received.What could be the problem?We did not had any problems with her qualifications at the time of H-1 approval.We have got her education evaluation with a lawyer when we have applied for her H-1 to INS.

Any help in this matter is appreciated.

Thanks,
GCEAD04

H1 appointment at Chennai consulate

Hi,
I am not able to find appointments in Chennai consulate for H1 visa from last week, does anyone know why and when is it going to be open?
Thanks
SK

kasid said:
Hey guys,
I have a passport which is valid for 20 years and i heard that we should update it for 10 years( I got this one from bangalore in 1999-2000) time.
Now iam travelling to india in Sep and i got appointment also around 2nd week.
Shall i update my passport here only or it is better not to change or update, iam travelling via frankfurt and coming back to atlanta, will there be any problem or issues with officers.
Please let me know so that i can mail and update my passport from huston(do you guys have an idea how many days it will take to get new passport from here).

thankyou,

Kasid,

You do not HAVE to update your 20 year passport to a 10 year passport. It is just a recommendation. I too have a 20 year validity passport, which I got in 1997, and I have made several trips back and forth to India with it, the latest being in Sep 2005. Never encountered any problems either at US end or India end.

221(g) Query

Hi guys,

What is this meaning in 221(g)?

1. A complete itinerary of services or engagements specifying dates of each service or engagement, the names and addresses of agent, the names and addresses of the actual employers, and the names and addresses of the establishment, venues, or locations where the services will be performed.

a. Does it related to employer or employee?
b. Is this query applicable to new projects or all previous projects worked with currrent or previous employers and thier clients?
c. If H1 approved for 3 years, should employer provide information on how they are going to pay for 3 years by showing some projects or client details? Is it possible?
d. Any body got this query? Please share your experiece

Appreciate your help.

Krivis

appreciate if somone could answer my query

Hello Gurus –

I have a questions and will appreciate if somone can assist.

I have an appointment at Chennai Consulate in December for my H1 B Stamping. This is my second time stamping for H1 B (first time was done in Chennai in 2002 for H1b). Earlier I had an F1 Visa.

I have a BS in Electrical Engineering from a US University. I completed my MS in Information Systems (While I was working in H1) in 2004. When I go for Stamping is it advisable to mention that I have a MS Degree in the visa form and to the visa officer?

Since I have a BS in Electrical Engineering, the consulate may have objections? (As it is not a true computer degree)? Please advise! When I went for Stamping in 2002 and at that point I did not have a MS degree.

I don’t think my H1B LC mentions that I have MS degree as I received this in 2004 after approval of my H1B petition. That is why I am confused weather to mention this fact or now.

Appreciate if someone can assist.

Regards,
Raj
Edit/Delete Message

Is changing consulate a problem

In the H1 approval paper, it 's mentioned that consulate is chennai.If i go to delhi consulate for visa appoinement, will it be a problem.Did it happend to anybody

No appointment available at chennai consulate for H1B stamping !!!! :(

does anyone know why there was no interview date available ? I'm checking this for the last one week. I need to get a date for a new H1B stamping. anyone can please let me know when will it open? or is there any other way to get teh appointment.

thanks
R

H1 7th year visa stamping in chennai...

Hi
I am on H1 visa with 7th year running and i got an 7th year extension as my labor is more than year old. I am going for Visa Stamping appointiment on Dec 15th in Chennai ,and i had taken the appointment through tts website around August month..
i have following questions.
1. Is it 3 DD's ? Two of 4,600,2300 payable to "American Consulate General,Chennai"
and another DD of 441 payable to "TT Services"?
2. Should i take DD's in HDFC Bank only or can take any other bank?

3.What are my chances of getting visa stamping. I was never out of status,W2 and tax papers are clean..

I would appreciate your respone
Thanks
Jay