green card in 3months in dallas

DORA experience

Hi,

I had my DORA interview this week. Family based spouse of US Citizen. Reached at about 9:30 for a 9:45 appointment. Placed the appointment letter in the box just opposite to the main entrance. After about 30 minutes one officer called our name and asked for the cashier checks. (they can be drawn to either USCIS or Dept of homeland security. THEY ACCEPT EITHER. ) and all the forms ( 130-485, passport,,etc) and told that they will run a preliminary check to see if the application is complete.
I had submitted an extra copy of 130 with the 485. They called my name and returned it to me saying it is not needed.

After that we waited for another 2 hours and then our name was called for actual interview.
The office was very curt and very formal. She greeted us...but very limited enthusiasm..
She took fingerprints and signature in the hallway and then guided us to her room. Made us take the oath. Then went over all the questions starting with 130-485 ,my husband's visa...his current status. his I 94.

We had a problem in I-864. I had all 3 years of tax returns, but I have been working since only a year..so the first 2 years were less than poverty level. We were hoping that only the current year might be important...But she was very unforgiving and insisted that all 3 years have to be above poverty level. She asked for a joint affidavit of support. Luckily my husband's tax return and W-2 which we had carried just in case....came to use...
She agreed to let us use them and that would make 2 years of income....and she forgave the third year...after thinking for a while...

She then asked questions on our marriage and how we met...and where was the marriage ..etc..? She asked to see our marriage pictures and actually took one of them and stapled it to the application.
After that...she told that the application looks good and we should now wait for the fingerprint letter . She told that DORA has a goal of 90 days " not a guarantee" and if everything is on time..we should get approval in 3-4 months..
My husband asked if he could apply for EAD and AP..and she told..not now....only if they send a letter...after 2 months..
It took 3 hours from time we got in to out. the actual interview lasted about 25 minutes.

Hope this helps..

Good luck all,
Thanks...
I will keep you all update regarding..our timeline.

To N400 APPLICANT:

You mentioned that the clerk at the front desk said that they would do "a preliminary check" before they call you in for the interview. Did they actually do a background check on your husband, examining his immigration history and current status to ascertain that he is eligible OR did they simply look over the submitted forms and documents to make sure that all necessary documentation is in order? Did you get any sense for what kind of "preliminary check" it was? I am interested to know whether substantive immigration work for Rapid Adjustment of Status is done at the Dallas office or at the National Service Center in Missouri to which the AOS application is filed.

N400_applicant
Congratulations for finishing up on a big part of the procedure. I have my oath at the end of this month and then will file I485. I have LONG way to go.

eugene_lyubov said:
To N400 APPLICANT:

You mentioned that the clerk at the front desk said that they would do "a preliminary check" before they call you in for the interview. Did they actually do a background check on your husband, examining his immigration history and current status to ascertain that he is eligible OR did they simply look over the submitted forms and documents to make sure that all necessary documentation is in order? Did you get any sense for what kind of "preliminary check" it was? I am interested to know whether substantive immigration work for Rapid Adjustment of Status is done at the Dallas office or at the National Service Center in Missouri to which the AOS application is filed.

It is only to see if the forms are completed and the application is acceptable. I dont think any background check or anything else is done at that time.
They would then call for interview and after that, they send the file to MSC where it gets keyed in the computer. All the checks etc are done by MSC.
They then update the result and send it to Dallas DO.
This is what the officer told me.. I asked her after the interview like "if this file will go to Chicago ?" She told "No. Missouri."

amishah said:
N400_applicant
Congratulations for finishing up on a big part of the procedure. I have my oath at the end of this month and then will file I485. I have LONG way to go.

Amishah,

I am sure you are already aware of it but I would recommend you to get an appointment with DORA for early April. Usually there is a 2 - 3 month wait for an appointment but watch out for cancellations. Also, make sure the medical is done for your husband. Keep in mind that the results may take up to 3 days to come back. Unless you are a Procrastinator like I am, I am sure you already have all these things in mind.

Eric

Has anybody researched if we can file for AP if we are on DORA? I need to travel to Canada in a month or two and do not want to take a risk with my H1

EricNeesGC said:
Has anybody researched if we can file for AP if we are on DORA? I need to travel to Canada in a month or two and do not want to take a risk with my H1

Hi Eric,

We have the same question. Can we apply for EAD or AP right now ? We just has DORA interview earlier in the week.

We read the DORA procedures carefully and it said that you can apply for EAD or AP at "any point". But when we asked the officer that we want to apply for EAD atleast....she told there is "no need". She did not use the words " You cannot apply". She just kept on insisting that " DORA is meant to avoid the EAD and AP fees and that there is no need".

Anyone with any opinions..?
Eric, let us know if you apply for AP ...
Thanks

hello everyone,

I applied for I-485 through dora on the 14th of february. Right now my status online says we got your finger printing and are proceeding...

So what is next? What is the 70th day letter? Is it the letter telling you 485 is taking longer and so get your EAD? Also can we check the processing dates like we for other applications on the INS website if we apply through DORA? And if so, how?

Thanks a lot everyone.

Subhadra

subhadras said:
hello everyone,

I applied for I-485 through dora on the 14th of february. Right now my status online says we got your finger printing and are proceeding...

So what is next? What is the 70th day letter? Is it the letter telling you 485 is taking longer and so get your EAD?

Many people, and me, too, have never gotten this 70-day letter in spite of my case is being processed for 150 days already. The whole process is a mess. :mad:
subhadras said:
Also can we check the processing dates like we for other applications on the INS website if we apply through DORA? And if so, how?

Thanks a lot everyone.

Subhadra

Yes, you can go to https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/caseStatusSearchDisplay.do;jsessionid=eOtfv-TAsbB9, and just enter your receipt number, but it's not very helpful. When I called to National Customer Service, they told me that they don't update information gotten from USCIS District Offices very often on this web site. As a result, some people said they got their approval earlier then it appeared on this web site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks slyusw.

I did check out the link you gave me. It says the same thing, ' your finger prints....'.

And when you check for the current processing date for I-485, it shows they are processing december 15th 2003 and it is updated on March 16th. That is what got me worried, specially because the last I remember seeing the processing date as december 27th of 2004 when they had updated in mid febraury. I got very confused seeing the date move back!

subhadras said:
Thanks slyusw.

I did check out the link you gave me. It says the same thing, ' your finger prints....'.

And when you check for the current processing date for I-485, it shows they are processing december 15th 2003 and it is updated on March 16th. That is what got me worried, specially because the last I remember seeing the processing date as december 27th of 2004 when they had updated in mid febraury. I got very confused seeing the date move back!

Now I understand what you were talking about... Yes, I also saw this. They are not very accurate and it is very confusing, but these processing dates are for cases filed thought regular process, not through DORA.

There is no such a table with processing dates for DORA. They say it suppouse to be 90 days- that's it!

So, don't worry... Start worry after 90 days passed, if you wouldn't get anything, neither 70-days letter, nor approval notice. In this case, set up an appointment thought INFOPASS, go to Dallas District Office and try to figure out what is going on. As you can see from previous posts- some people got an approval in 90 days, some- in 100 days, some in 150, it usually depends on FBI name check.
Good luck!

Update on DORA AOS

Had my fingerprinting and biometrics appointment yesterday, exactly two weeks after AOS was filed. Was scheduled to do it the day before at the North Dallas Office (Northwest Highway): was told by the entrance clerk that there is a three hour waiting period and offered to either go to the South Dallas office (30 mins. away, where it was claimed there is usually no waiting line) or come back the next day at 8:00am. Chose to return the following day and found about 50 people waiting in line before the office opened at 8:00am. Went straight to the door and explained my situation ("I came here yesterday and was told to come back today") to the clerk who recognized me and let me in. I was out of there at 8:20am.

Quick question: How much time passes between the time of the actual biometrics appointment and reception of the notification letter or online update that "your fingerprinting and biometrics results have been received and we have resumed processing your application"?

EricNeesGC said:
Eric, If you look at the 70th day letter, you'll see that you can apply for both the EAD AND "Travel Documents" while u are waiting for your application to be processed. So the answer is a definite 'Yes' to your question.

Thanks Dhakaya:

I do not remember seeing it but I am sure I may have missed it. I will see if I can file for travel document. I have an appointment on March 24th. Lets see if I can get some help that day.

EricNeesGC said:
Thanks Dhakaya:

I do not remember seeing it but I am sure I may have missed it. I will see if I can file for travel document. I have an appointment on March 24th. Lets see if I can get some help that day.
How was your Appt.? do you mind sharing your experience.

Hi J4School,

I eneded up not going to the interview. I had some work related obligations and just could not make it. I will reschedule and update once I go there. Sorry :(

Hello everyone,

I have a question. We were planning on moving, but withing Dallas. In that case will there be a delay in the processing. If some one has any idea, please reply soon. we have to give notice to the leasing office!

Thank you,

subhadras said:
Hello everyone,

I have a question. We were planning on moving, but withing Dallas. In that case will there be a delay in the processing. If some one has any idea, please reply soon. we have to give notice to the leasing office!

Thank you,

On principle, there shouldn't be any delay. The key is to make sure that the Postal Service forwads all of your mail to your new address. As many posts here indicate, address change notification via USCIS is not fully reliable.

Thank you eugene. I was wondering if USCIS will have problems in processing if there is address change....For eg: Will they have to do additional background check for my new residence.