green card in 3months in dallas

I am not from Dallas area nor I am talking about the pilot program. I was just saying that a Green Card holder can not sponsor his wife. Period. And that is what I was trying to prove that why a Green Card holder is not eligible.

amishah said:
I am not from Dallas area nor I am talking about the pilot program. I was just saying that a Green Card holder can not sponsor his wife. Period. And that is what I was trying to prove that why a Green Card holder is not eligible.

You are quite right. I did mean to take your quote. I just took it for convenience. I just want to let those who are misthinking about eligibility know about the fact.

amishah said:

GREEN CARD HOLDERS CAN PETITION FOR AOS ON BEHALF OF THEIR SPOUSES. THEY JUST HAVE TO WAIT LONGER TO PROCESS IT, NORMALLY AROUND 5 YEARS!!!
http://immigration.about.com/library/weekly/aa092299.htm
Question #2: What is the difference between marrying a US Citizen and a Permanent Resident?

Carl Shusterman: The short answer is: about 4 years. ;-)

The reason is that there are no numerical limitations on the number of US Citizens who can obtain Green Cards. On the other hand, if you marry a Permanent Resident of the US you are placed under the 2A Family Preference Category. Spouses and unmarried sons and daughters of Permanent Residents are allowed 114,200 Green Cards per year. Because the demand far outstrips the supply of visas it may take you over 4.5 years to receive a Green Card.

anti-climacus said:
GREEN CARD HOLDERS CAN PETITION FOR AOS ON BEHALF OF THEIR SPOUSES. THEY JUST HAVE TO WAIT LONGER TO PROCESS IT, NORMALLY AROUND 5 YEARS!!!
http://immigration.about.com/library/weekly/aa092299.htm
Question #2: What is the difference between marrying a US Citizen and a Permanent Resident?.
YES A GC HOLDER CAN PETITION BUT NOT SPONSOR. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN PETITION AND SPONSOR. PVB80 IS ASKING ABOUT SPONSORING NOT PETIONING.

Carl Shusterman: The short answer is: about 4 years. ;-)

The reason is that there are no numerical limitations on the number of US Citizens who can obtain Green Cards. On the other hand, if you marry a Permanent Resident of the US you are placed under the 2A Family Preference Category. Spouses and unmarried sons and daughters of Permanent Residents are allowed 114,200 Green Cards per year. Because the demand far outstrips the supply of visas it may take you over 4.5 years to receive a Green Card.[/QUOTE]

amishah said:
YES A GC HOLDER CAN PETITION BUT NOT SPONSOR. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN PETITION AND SPONSOR. PVB80 IS ASKING ABOUT SPONSORING NOT PETIONING.
[/QUOTE]

While his language points in both directions (petitioning and sponsoring), he really seems to be asking about petioning. See his initial message: "Does this mean since I have an immigrant visa (green crad) I can APPLY for my wifes green card through DORA????? Any information that says one need to be USC to SPONSOR his spouse would be helpful." When he says "sponsor", he most likely means "petition" (or, in his words, "apply"). There is also a possibility that he might be askng about both. :) The most important point he should get out of this: he CANNOT use DORA to apply for AOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he is asking about petitioning then what does DORA going to be helpful to him?? So if he is talking about DORA then he is asking about Sponsoring.

amishah said:
If he is asking about petitioning then what does DORA going to be helpful to him?? So if he is talking about DORA then he is asking about Sponsoring.
You are right: that's what you would have to assume if he was clear about the DORA program, but he is, on his own account, "a little confused and naive."

anti-climacus said:
You are right: that's what you would have to assume if he was clear about the DORA program, but he is, on his own account, "a little confused and naive."
He said it later on when we were already on VISA NUMBER's path.
I will not drage this topic anymore since it is not useful to anyone. You can go ahead.

EricNeesGC said:
I am renewing this thread as no one has posted anything in the last few days. Please update anything you find. So far, I have seen only a select few getting GC through DORA and only 1 (or maybe 2) getting it within the promised 90 days period.

I filed my application on Nov 19th. FP was done on Nov 29th and on Dec 7th, status was updated that the process has resumed. No update since then. I did, however, received the 70th day notice to come and apply for EAD (which I did get).

Please let us know if anyone is in a different boat.

Thanks

Eric

I filed my application on jan/07/05,had finger prints on jan/20 and did'nt receive 70 day letter.I went to the INS today (96th day) for an appointment with a immigration officer.He told they are waitting for my background check from FBI.I was born in Brazil . :(

Need I-551 stamp for traveling - Please help!

I just got my I-485 within the Dallas Pilot Program approved.
On April 13th I got an Email (I haven't received a notification by mail, just the email) with the title "Case Status Information for Receipt Number ..." which said:

Current Status:

On April 12, 2005, after approving your application, we ordered you a new card. Your card will be mailed to you as soon as it is ready.

Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes until the actual residence card comes in the mail?
Will I also get an approval confirmation by mail or just the residence card?

The problem that I have is that I need to go to my native country as quickly as possible because of an important family matter. I went to the Dallas District Office (8010 North Stemmons) yesterday (I had an appointment) and asked to get an I-551 stamp in my passport so that I could travel. The immigration officer inside told me that she wouldn't give me the stamp BECAUSE I am in the Pilot Program and the whole point of that program is to eliminate your need for a stamp, AP, EAD, etc. But the immigration officer from my interview told me that I could get this stamp as physical proof of my residence and also the people at the National Customer Service Center. And now I read in this forum several times that someone got that stamp so why wouldn't they give it to me? Does anybody know? Isn't that the whole point of the existence of the stamp?
My flight was today but as I didn't get the stamp I had to change it to next Wednesday. I hope that I will have my card by then or maybe someone can tell me of their experience in regards to getting this stamp and I can figure out a way to get it.
I would appreciate your help.
Thanks,

Schnecki

Schnecki said:
I went to the Dallas District Office (8010 North Stemmons) yesterday (I had an appointment) and asked to get an I-551 stamp in my passport so that I could travel. The immigration officer inside told me that she wouldn't give me the stamp BECAUSE I am in the Pilot Program and the whole point of that program is to eliminate your need for a stamp, AP, EAD, etc.

That's strange, because even in their press releases they indicate the possibility of an I-551 stamp upon approval and before reception of the actual card. For example, see http://www.indiaimmigrationusa.com/index_files/Page490.htm

What was the date of your AOS interview?

I-551 stamp in passport

My AOS interview was on Jan 24th 2005.

Since then I was told several times by different immigration officers that I could get this stamp but unfortunately for me the lady who gives out the stamp seems to think differently!!! :mad:

Does anyone has had the same experience?

Schnecki

Greencard issued in Dallas???

Does anyone know where the residence card for participants in the Dallas Pilot Program is issued and send out from? Is the local District Office doing everything after the safety checks are cleared or is the residence card coming from some other office/center?

If it is issued here in Dallas might it be possible to expedite the process by picking it up at the local office myself instead of waiting for it in the mail?

It would be great if I were able to find out as much as possible about how long I have to wait for my actual card in the mail after it was approved. Please let me know your experiences!

Thanks!

DORA Update

Somewhere in this thread someone mentioned that the National Customer Service Center does not respond to DORA inquiries on the toll-free number. However, I decided to call anyways. I talked to a person named Diane. She said that she will try to initiate an inquiry on my file and will trace to see what is the hold up. However, after about 1 minute hold, she came back and said that since this is a special program, the file is locked and only Dallas Service Center can help me.

I have an appointment on 4/20/2005. I will ask them how to proceed with my case and take further action. In the meantime, I am preparing a letter for the congressman. Hope it goes through.

I will keep you all updated.

Thanks

Eric

---------------------
DORA filing 11/19/2004
FP 11/30/2004
Status Changed - FP Received 12/7/2004
Waiting..........

I don't know how many of you have signed up for the e-mail notification service for your case status. But I did this a while back, and checked it every other day. Up until Friday (4/15) the "last updated" date was showing 11/12/2004.. which was basically my FP receipt date. But on Friday it had changed to 4/15, and today it's saying 4/18.

But the actual status description has stayed the same "We received your FP results on 11/12, processing has resumed... ". I have NOT received any e-mail update yet. They do mention (if you read the notes on the bottom of the pic) that this is because of USCIS internal processing. So there finally may be some progress made in my case... hopefully a positive one :)

LOL! Well guys... maybe 30 minutes after making the above post , I got an e-mail from USCIS saying this:

"On April 18, 2005, after approving your application, we ordered you a new card. Your card will be mailed to you as soon as it is ready."

So needless to say I am very happy and wanted to say thanks to all the well wishers, especially the Guy upstairs! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Dhakya,

My heartiest congratulations to you. I am very happy for you. This is good news. Atleast the system is moving...slow...but moving. Hopefully I will get something soon.

Thanks

Eric

dhakaya said:
LOL! Well guys... maybe 30 minutes after making the above post , I got an e-mail from USCIS saying this:

"On April 18, 2005, after approving your application, we ordered you a new card. Your card will be mailed to you as soon as it is ready."

So needless to say I am very happy and wanted to say thanks to all the well wishers, especially the Guy upstairs! :D

Congratulations, DHAKAYA!!! At long last, after almost six agonizing months, your patience has been rewarded! Hope your card will arrive soon! Best wishes!

dhakaya said:

congratulations dhakaya!!!
I Hope all of us can have the same good news soon.

Suggestion

Hey just wondering is it possible for everyone in the DORA porgram to keep some kind of a log where they post their dates so all can see how long is it taking from start to end? Maybe an excel file can be attaced? I dont know how to. If possible can someone initiate?
Thanx