GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Hello Everyone,
I applied for my Parents and Sister for GC with I-130 back in April/2011. I have not heard anything it is something wrong?? How long does it take now to get I-130 approved for Parents of a US citizen ?
Please share your knowledge/experience.
Thanks.

Hello Everyone,
I applied for my Parents and Sister for GC with I-130 back in April/2011. I have not heard anything it is something wrong?? How long does it take now to get I-130 approved for Parents of a US citizen ?
Please share your knowledge/experience.
Thanks.

It will take atleast 3-4mts to get I 130 approved. The standard time line for I 130 5mts as per the USCIS time line.
It took 3mts for my dad.

I applied Green card for my parents in May 2011 and their interview was on 2nd August 2011. It got approved they should get ther green by next week. Here is the Timeline and the interview was also for 10 minutes and it went really well. She didn't ask much questions.
They came in US In March 2011 on tourist Visa
May 2011 sent I-485, I-130
June 14th FP
July 14 Got EAD
August 2nd Interview Date Approved
Thanks

Address Confusion

Hi,

As a citizen, I am applying for GC for my parents who are here on tourist visa (B2). I will be applying both 130 & 485 at the same time. I have a question around which address to use for my parents as I complete the various forms. I was told by a friend of mine that I should use my address for them as they are staying with me. I also see in forums where they say you should use their overseas address. I will appreciate your help in clarifying this. The forms I have questions with are i-864, i-130 and i-485.

Thanks
Melmas

Hi Everyone,

Please help to advise on my situation. I am applying GC for my father who is still in China. The I-130 form requests marriage certificate and birth certificate. However, my parents didn't have any marriage certificate back in the 70s. Therefore, they could not produce any officical document to prove they were married before I was born.

What will be other forms of acceptable documents to apply GC for my father?

Will the affidivat work for this case? Does it need to be notorized? My father is over 70. I could not leave him behind to live alone by himself. Please do advise from your experience. Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
hi-
My mum is scheduled for an interview in 3 weeks- and is nervous. Can anyone share what questions were asked of your parents at the GC interview. Would greatly appreciate any guidance anyone can offer. Does she need to prepare anything?
My mum's case is pretty straight forward. She is here in visitor visa, has been to US several times, never over-stayed her allowed stay duration in US etc.
thanks

Hi

My mom is in US on visitor's visa - now for close to 5 months. I want to sponsor her GC and have all the papers lined up. However, with 1+ month remaining on her I94, is it adv I do it now or should I go consular after she returns or wait for her next visit in a year? Add to this, her native passport is expiring in January 2012 (Couldnt find it but is there a provision that says the passport should have atleast 6 months validity?).

I am kicking myself for not applying sooner, but the question now is should I go ahead with the application or is it cutting too close. I would like to play this safe. Any adv is helpful.

thanks!

Hi

My mom is in US on visitor's visa - now for close to 5 months. I want to sponsor her GC and have all the papers lined up. However, with 1+ month remaining on her I94, is it adv I do it now or should I go consular after she returns or wait for her next visit in a year? Add to this, her native passport is expiring in January 2012 (Couldnt find it but is there a provision that says the passport should have atleast 6 months validity?).

I am kicking myself for not applying sooner, but the question now is should I go ahead with the application or is it cutting too close. I would like to play this safe. Any adv is helpful.

thanks!

Do not wait any longer, send in the application soon, the moment you get the recipt number you are good, it does not matter if I94 gets expired as long as you paper is in before the expiration date.
good luck
I will doing the same for my mother too soon

Hi Everyone,

Please help to advise on my situation. I am applying GC for my father who is still in China. The I-130 form requests marriage certificate and birth certificate. However, my parents didn't have any marriage certificate back in the 70s. Therefore, they could not produce any officical document to prove they were married before I was born.

What will be other forms of acceptable documents to apply GC for my father?

Will the affidivat work for this case? Does it need to be notorized? My father is over 70. I could not leave him behind to live alone by himself. Please do advise from your experience. Thank you very much!

Get an affidavit from 2 different people stating that they know you parents and were present at the time of wedding ,and they know your family well so that thet can conform their date of birth.and get it notarised.

Need help - Applying for mother's green card

Hi all,

My mother has a 10 year Visitor's Visa that is valid until June 2012. She is currently in India.

I am planning on bringing her here to live with me, so want to apply for her Green Card.

She is currently busy in India and will not be able to come to the US until February of 2012. I am unable to decide whether to apply for the renewal of Visitor's Visa or to apply for the Green Card.

Is it necessary that the person be physically present in the US to apply for I-130 and subsequently ?

From what I understand, a person needs to be physically present in the US for Adjustment of Status (AOS). In light of saving time, is it better to apply for I-130 first and then apply for Adjustment of Status when she is physically present in the US?

Are there any advantages of concurrent filing (I-130 & I-485 at the same time)? Is it better to wait until Feb, 2012 when she is physically present in the US to concurrently file for I-130 & I-485?

In the meantime should I apply for the renewal of her US Visitor's Visa? I am travelling to India in the first week of Oct and was thinking I could work on the paperwork and submit it while I am India, if the renewal will be needed.

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards

Hi all,

My mother has a 10 year Visitor's Visa that is valid until June 2012. She is currently in India.

I am planning on bringing her here to live with me, so want to apply for her Green Card.

She is currently busy in India and will not be able to come to the US until February of 2012. I am unable to decide whether to apply for the renewal of Visitor's Visa or to apply for the Green Card.

Is it necessary that the person be physically present in the US to apply for I-130 and subsequently ?

From what I understand, a person needs to be physically present in the US for Adjustment of Status (AOS). In light of saving time, is it better to apply for I-130 first and then apply for Adjustment of Status when she is physically present in the US?

Are there any advantages of concurrent filing (I-130 & I-485 at the same time)? Is it better to wait until Feb, 2012 when she is physically present in the US to concurrently file for I-130 & I-485?

In the meantime should I apply for the renewal of her US Visitor's Visa? I am travelling to India in the first week of Oct and was thinking I could work on the paperwork and submit it while I am India, if the renewal will be needed.

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards

You are better off applying for I-130 and selecting further processing at a US consulate in India. You mom should be able to get an immigrant visa in 4-8 months time after you file I-130 (provided all documentation is available).

GC for my MOM

Hi all,
I became US citizen in 2010 and I have filed petition for my mother permanent residency (GC) in DEC 15 2011.
12/15/2010: I-130 mailed to USCIS
12/20/2010: NOA I-797C I-130 receipt notification
06/20/2011: Request for Additional Documents
07/15/2011: Mailed supporting documents
08/02/02011: I-130 Approved: NOA letter received
09/15/2011: NVC case number and DS-302 received
09/17/2011: AOS Fee Paid and DS-3032 emailed to NVC

What should I expect next and what are the documents that I may need in future so that I can prepared them ahead of the time any suggestion and also..

Currently I am preparing Affidavit of Support (AOS). I am married, don’t work and have a child. My husband supports the family. What are the forms (I-864’s) as part of AOS that I and my husband have to fill. Your advice will be big help to us. Thank you

question about I-130 proof of relationship

I recently recieved my citizenship and am planning to apply GC for my parents who are here is US. I have a question related to the supporting documents for I-130.

For proving the relationship, I will be submitting my Birth Certificate. It lists names of my parents, but does not have my name.

Is it OK to submit affidavits from my parents to address the issue of missing name or do I need to get affidavits from different people since I am applying GC for parents.

Hi

I recently recieved my citizenship and am planning to apply GC for my parents who are here is US. I have a question related to the supporting documents for I-130.

For proving the relationship, I will be submitting my Birth Certificate. It lists names of my parents, but does not have my name.

Is it OK to submit affidavits from my parents to address the issue of missing name or do I need to get affidavits from different people since I am applying GC for parents.

Hi,
It is better yo get affidavit from 2 different people stating that they know you and your parents. and you need to give one affidavit from yourself stating that they are your parents. I am in same situation. I did the same.

It will look suspicious to them if you don't have your name on your birth certificate.
When did your birth certificate be issued?

Applying GC for my mother

Hi,

Both myself and my elder brtother are USA citizens. Today my mother , 67 yrs age went for B2 visa and her visa was rejected stating that since both the sons were in USA and citizens, the Officer told her to apply for Green card.

My mother is in India

What is the process for that and howmany days it will take

Please advise

Parent's Birth Certificate

I am applying for GC for my parents, Do they have to show birth certificate to apply? I don't see birth certificate requirement on I-130. Neither of them have birth certificate. I can get the affidavit of birth certificate from court but can't get non availability of birth certificate from the birth certificate issuing authority. Please suggest if only providing an affidavit of birth with non availability certificate will be sufficient?

I can get their marriage certificate but not birth certificate. I do have my own birth certificate.

Thanks

I am applying for GC for my parents, Do they have to show birth certificate to apply? I don't see birth certificate requirement on I-130. Neither of them have birth certificate. I can get the affidavit of birth certificate from court but can't get non availability of birth certificate from the birth certificate issuing authority. Please suggest if only providing an affidavit of birth with non availability certificate will be sufficient?

I can get their marriage certificate but not birth certificate. I do have my own birth certificate.

Thanks

If applying for adjustment of status while in the U.S. following a lawful entry, a birth record is required for the I-485 package.

If applying for an Immigrant Visa at the Consulate, a birth record is required for the DS-230.

See state department's reciprocity table for expected evidence for their country.