GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

My mom's card arrived today by USPS Priority Mail - it was shipped out of Lee Summit MO on March 22, 2011.

Congrats Nkm-oct23,

My mother interview is schedule for April 27th. I got txt msg. this morning.

I haven't got any update on EAD and AP. Did you get EAD and AP approved before your interview?

Was IO asked why you decided to file green card after 3 months?

Thanks again!

Congrats Nkm-oct23,

My mother interview is schedule for April 27th. I got txt msg. this morning.

I haven't got any update on EAD and AP. Did you get EAD and AP approved before your interview?

Was IO asked why you decided to file green card after 3 months?

Thanks again!

Yes, she got her AP and EAD in January end, a week after fingerprinting.
She was asked WHEN she decided to apply and she replied 3 months after her arrival.
She was also asked if the immigration inspector at POE questioner her about anything - she replied she was asked how long she intended to stay and she replied 6 months. She was given I-94 for 6 months.

Yes, she got her AP and EAD in January end, a week after fingerprinting.
She was asked WHEN she decided to apply and she replied 3 months after her arrival.
She was also asked if the immigration inspector at POE questioner her about anything - she replied she was asked how long she intended to stay and she replied 6 months. She was given I-94 for 6 months.

Thanks,

Hi,

I am a naturalized US citizen and will be applying for I-130/Consular processing for my father. My mom has passed away and my dad does not have his marriage certificate. Can anyone please help me in figuring out what to send as a proof of my parent's marriage as this seems to be one of the required documents according to the I-130 instructions.

Thanks

godsend, we are exactly on the same boat.
My dad is now 71 and my mom passed away 11 years ago.
We couldn't find his marriage certificate.
However, as I know they will ask for some kind of affidavit to replace marriage certificate.
See post #4 within this thread.

I tried to summarize and add a few links on what forms to expect from NVC, if one has chosen the CP route for their parents. I haven't gone thro the CP process as a petitioner yet, but this is just based on my initial research. Folks who have already done CP for their Parents, please feel free to correct or add more info to this.

First i need to thank you every body for good information on the thread i was reading it whole week before i sent my pakages,i got lot of good informations .
I send my family pakages this morning.......my parent is here on B2 visa...it will expire on May 12
Waiting is start ........

Last edited by a moderator:
Even my mom is a widow and I think we can produce death certificate instead of marriage certificate if I am correct, that is what I am planning to do

Who needs to submit marriage termination documentation?

If you were previously married, you must obtain evidence of the termination of EACH prior marriage. Evidence must be in the form of original documents issued by an official authority, or certified copies bearing the appropriate seal or stamp of the issuing authority, such as:

* FINAL divorce decree
* Death certificate
* Annulment papers

here is the proof taken from NVC web page

I believe this might be rite place to post my question =)
Any body knows what is rough estimate for the I-130 approval for Parents??

Hey folks, any recent approval of I 130 for parents of USC in consular processing? My dad's is pending as of 1/11/2011 and I am trying to have an idea in terms of his future process.
Thanks

All,

I am planning to apply for GC for my 62 year old mother (widowed). She is here on a visitor visa until late August, 2011. She visits us every year for 6 months. Had a few questions that I needed to get some expert views on:
1. I was wondering if AOS or CP would be better given her timeline (has to leave before August 29th, date on her I-94).
2. If we send in 485 along with 130, would that mean she will need AP to leave the country in August and come back later? If so, what if we don't get the AP in time?
3. Can we just send the 130 now, and apply for 485 when we get the approval? At least that way I would know exactly where she is when we start the 485 process and we won't have to worry about AP (is my thought process correct?)

Thanks for the help in advance.

CHange of petitioner's marital status

Hi all,

I submitted I-130 to sponsor my parents to the US last year. Back when the form was filed, I was still married so I turned in my copy of marriage certificate along with everything else to USCIS. Then, I got divorced with my wife a couple months after that. I didn't submit the finalized divorce decree to USCIS because I thought it was irrelevant.

A few months after, USCIS approved the I-130s and forwarded that to NVC. I also finished the DS230 and I864 for my parents, but today I received a checklist response from NVC requesting for the "original or certified copy" of my marriage certificate. Probably because the one I had for USCIS was a regular copy.

Problem is I'm now officially divorced, so do I have to turn in my final decree of divorce too with the marriage certificate? They didn't specifically asked for petitioner's divorce paper proof of marriage termination like they ask for the beneficiary, so I just wonder...
And if I submit the divorce paper now, will NVC question the absence of its during USCIS's I-130 process? I know I maybe think too much....but I'm really looking forward to a good answer to this problem.

Thanks!

All,

I am planning to apply for GC for my 62 year old mother (widowed). She is here on a visitor visa until late August, 2011. She visits us every year for 6 months. Had a few questions that I needed to get some expert views on:
1. I was wondering if AOS or CP would be better given her timeline (has to leave before August 29th, date on her I-94).
2. If we send in 485 along with 130, would that mean she will need AP to leave the country in August and come back later? If so, what if we don't get the AP in time?
3. Can we just send the 130 now, and apply for 485 when we get the approval? At least that way I would know exactly where she is when we start the 485 process and we won't have to worry about AP (is my thought process correct?)

Thanks for the help in advance.

Wait for 90 days from her date of entery in to usa and send in I 130, 485 and all other forms for AOS, Once you send in all the required forms, she is good, you need not worry about the date on I 94. The process from start to finish should be arount 4-6mts. Good luck.

address of parents in i-130 form

I'm filing greencard (concurrent filing of both i-130 and i-485) for my parents who are currently in the US (on visitor visa), staying with me. I'm not sure what address I have to put in the following fields in Part C:

#2: their Address.
#19: Your Relative's address abroad

Should I put in my address in the USA or their address from India, since they are now residing in the USA?

I'm filing greencard (concurrent filing of both i-130 and i-485) for my parents who are currently in the US (on visitor visa), staying with me. I'm not sure what address I have to put in the following fields in Part C:

#2: their Address.
#19: Your Relative's address abroad

Should I put in my address in the USA or their address from India, since they are now residing in the USA?

Hi,
In C. #2 . You write USA address. In #19 you write their home town address.
Good luck

Q about I-131

hi-
my mum is visiting US on visitor visa- and I am in the process of applying for her GC. I hv some questions about I-131 that I would greatly appreciate some guidance on...
1. If she is not planning to travel outside US while her GC is in process- do I need to file I-131. Is it optional?
2. Part 7 part 7 asks for justification for advanced parole. what is an appropriate justification? is there a smaple template that can be shared
3. part 4 asks for "information about proposed travel". with no proposed travel- what is the appropriate info to be included here?

pls advise
thanks
gplkr

For I-131,

Any fee for I-864

Is there any filign fee for I-864.
the USCIS website says "Although USCIS does not charge a fee for this form, the Department of State does charge a fee when the Affidavit of Support is reviewed domestically. This does not apply when the Affidavit of Support is filed abroad."

how do we find out what the Department of State fee is?
Pls advise

Department of State charges fees to process I-864 in connection with an approved I-130 petition sent to National Visa Center for processing. If you request processing at a US consulate abroad, your approved case will be first transferred to NVC and you will be asked to file I-864 + fees directly with NVC. Fee is around $80.

If you are applying for adjustment of status, you can send form I-864 along with I-485 and in that case there is no fee for I-864.

Hi All,

My brother filed for my parents green card. Yesterday my dad received a letter with information that " the immigrant visa application is now eligible for further processing at the National Visa Center (NVC)." and has sent the DS-3032: Choice of Address and Agent form for filling out.

Does anyone has information what this is about? is it a normal process for the GC application? any info or help is highly appreciated.

Thanks
AN