From Jan.2002, police certificates from India are required..

Only for Family based IV visa Dont worry about PCC

PCC is required only for family based visa.
Getting PCC is very easy. In the US any Indian Embassy can issue you a PCC.
In India, just go to the Local Police Station and ask for one. You might have to pay some money. One can send a relative with photocopy of the ration card.

However I dont think PCC is required for EB based IV visa.

Good Luck to all.
Bapa

I dont know about the guy who called the Delhi consulate..

but if the Mumbai folks say that no PCC is reqd ..lets just stick with that .
besides we have nt been officially informed yet in any case ..

No PCC required ?

Folks!

I spoke to Mumbai consulate yesterday. The lady said that you do not need PCC if you lived only in India or USA. If lived, for e.g, in Singapore or Canada, then you need a PCC from the local Indian Consulate. I also checked the consulate web sites and all of them tell the same story. Has the US consulate had record of not posting the proper info? BTW, I approached Indian consulate in a western city
for PCC. They got the money and said it would take 40 days to get the PCC. I have just 15 days to go.. Forgot about that one. Is there any way of getting the PCC in India (other than local police station?) My dad approached the passport office and they said they issue PCC only on request from a Indian COnsulate abroad. Any inputs will help all of us. Aren\'t we so paranoid when it comes to GC?

San the Cat!!!!!

believes strongly that PCC is needed. May be he has superior Cat skills which enable him to sense danger miles away.
Long live cat!

No PCC required ?

Folks!

I spoke to Mumbai consulate yesterday. The lady said that you do not need PCC if you lived only in India or USA. If lived, for e.g, in Singapore or Canada, then you need a PCC from the local Indian Consulate. I also checked the consulate web sites and all of them tell the same story. Has the US consulate had record of not posting the proper info? BTW, I approached Indian consulate in a western city
for PCC. They got the money and said it would take 40 days to get the PCC. I have just 15 days to go.. Forgot about that one. Is there any way of getting the PCC in India (other than local police station?) My dad approached the passport office and they said they issue PCC only on request from a Indian COnsulate abroad. Any inputs will help all of us. Aren\'t we so paranoid when it comes to GC?

This solves the issue

If mumbai consulate lady says no..( two or three people have reported this in the discussion). It means period.
Let\'s not discuss this until we get a formal intimation from the consulate. ANy way we have to go to india. We can get PCC in India if we need to.
Live and let live!!!

Re

I didn\'t get the point.You mean if u lived in Canada for more than 6 mon then we need to get PCC from canada right?That\'s what u mean ?Or if u lived in any other country u need get PCC from India(means Indian Embassy in USA).That means do we need to get PCC from USA(here) also?
Thanks

Maximus

You can obtain PCC from local police station easily if u need too.
Thanks a lot for this research. It has put in ease to some extent our mind.

Cat skills

IluvGC....Dont forget that Cat has 9 lives . It has been confirmed by Delhi Embassy that PCC is required over the Phone .
Well its not the cat skills dude.....Prevention is always better than cure .....and there will be no cure when you are in india looking for PCC.

time

Will U have time in India to get PCC...Normally any persons goes there for 3 or 4 weeks.

Hope U have a successfull CP without PCC ...I also wish that PCC should not be reqqd ..but then hearing is believing

santhecat

Do we have to deposit our actual passports in the Indian Consulate in the USA if we need to have the PCC or just the photocopy will do?.
Please advise.

PCC not required for EB cases

1 PCC Certificate
Posted By: TestURLuck 11/29/01 9:23 AM
(#104 of 110)
Dont worry,
I called chennai Consulate office yesterday night at 10:18 PM to 8112060 No. Lady officer said you need PCC if you stay ONLY in india.

This is of the people who apply for US GC from india and staying in India.

Not for the people who lived in Both India and US.

I hope it is clear.

Well, 21.2 goes too deep. You need to contact the consulate

My knowledge on this subject is what I posted. Sorry.

Man u seem to be

after me..
I am not having double standards.. I just want to be on safe side..
I am prepared to get the PCC at all costs, but still want to verify the truth of statement.
Please stop using your
b wierd cat sense.
Dont throw mud on anybody...At time of panic lets behave sensibly and stick to the point. I understand this damn issue has brought everyone on this board to their heels. In this situation, we should keep our calm and not lose our heads.
I would appreciate if from this point on stop the mud slinging and gather ourselves to brace the problem. Mud slinging will continue as long as one is not willing to accept that he is at fault. If you become happy by saying that I have double standards, so be it. I, Iluvgc, hereby accept that I have double standards!!!
God bless you.
Live and let live!!
Thanks

My experience with the Mumbai Consulate

I talked to the Consulate yesterday. The phone was picked up by an Indian Lady.

I confimed that my P3 was with them and will be scheduled gor Jan. She ACTUALLY SAID THAT PCC IS REQUIRED. She also added that you can get it at the PASSPORT OFFICE or Local Police Station ...

There just seem to be divergent views on this forum.

I have asked my family in India to find out what the procedure is for PCC.

PCC

Spoke to the Indian Embassy in DC regarding PCC and how to get it.
As per them one has to send the application, copy of passport, application fee of $11 and Mail return fee of $21.

No personal checks allowed.

Send by Courier ( UPS or Fedex) ...The website clearly says NO US postal mail and she confirmed that to me.

The lady told me that it can take a month as the verification is done from Indian authorities.

Guess I will play with this thing as it is matter of only $40.00 and one does not have to send the original passport.

I dont want to have hassles in India at time of CP for running of PCC. One will be spending more money out there to get a PCC in a day or so. My 2c

If worse comes to worst

I\'m sure you do not need PCC if you have lived only in India and US, but if Chennai starts demanding PCC in Jan without any notice (very unlikely) you can get it fairly easily. I have obtained it in relation to Canadian immigration. You simply have to request for one in the local police station of your domicile city along with some nominal fee and passport copy. For my folks it took about 8 days to obtain PCC.

Stayed in 3 different cities

Do I have to take seperate PCC from Baroda ( my home town), New Bombay (4 yrs) and Gandhinagar (3 yrs) where I stayed?

One more question I would like to ask acehart is, as I will reach India one week before my Interview, is it possible that I send photocopy of my passport to my brother in India who can try to get PCC on my behalf? i.e. Does local police station accept photocopy of passport? and can a relative apply for PCC on our behalf?