Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experts:

I have benefitted a lot from this forum. I have a few questions if some body could help me with. I know that the FTJ is advantageous as it retains the same priority date as the prinicipal applicant. Does this apply to the category as well ? I have been approved in E-1 category and chennai consulate has given my wife an E-3 category.. I have sent many emails to them and even called them... The lady never gives me the right answer and is always very fast to hang up... She is also very rude most of the time... My emails have gone unreplied for the last 4 weeks... Does any body have an aswer to this?

Regards
Srini

Info Seeker said:
Need Help..
I got married two months before GC approval..I got my GC approved in July2003.

Reply: The date of wedding is before approval of GC. So your case is eligible to for FTJ.

Fairly quick.
Good Luck.

PrinceofJungle and everyone out there, please help!!!

I got married before applying for the greencard. My spouse did not apply with me together due to the J status. Then my I-485 get approved on Oct. 14, 2004 based on NIW. And I have applied I-824 Dec. 9, 2003 through an attorney. The processing date posted online is Jan. 28, 2004. So I expected to have I-824 approved anytime. And today I got a letter from USCIS telling me I-824 is denied. What should I do at this point? Can I sent request again for this case? I really need your suggestions. Thank you.

Here is the letter from them:

Dear Applicant:

Upon consideration of your request to expedite, it has been determined that you have not demonstrated justification for expedited processing. Therefore, your request for expedited processing is hereby denied.

The established criteria used by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services to determine justification is as follows:

1. Sever financial loss to company or individual.
2. Extreme emergent situation.
3. Humanitarian situation.
4. Nonprofits status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States.
5. Department of Defense or National Interest Situation.
6. Service error.
7. Compelling interest to the Service.

If you feel the denial of your expedited request is incorrect, you may submit a new request with additional supporting information. The resubmission should demonstrate the existence of at least one of the criterions listed above as justification for the request.

yzhang1972 said:
I
today I got a letter from USCIS telling me I-824 is denied.

Upon consideration of your request to expedite, it has been determined that you have not demonstrated justification for expedited processing. .

Do not panic plz, read carefuly again what they are saying it says 'Expedite request' was not granted. ...... ur 824 is still pending. did u sent any letter to USCIS to ask to expedite ur pending 824 case? they are dening to expedite not 824 ........... relaxxxxxxxxxxx. :D

Btw did ur attorney advise you that derivative benificiary immidiate relative(spouse) are not eligable to get benifet when u are approved?.

In my understanding she is not applying her self as independent G.C, so her visa catagery is the same as ur NIW. and she is immidiate relative and eligable to get GC through ur approved pettition while here. ask ur attorney.

And even if u are not agreed with that opinion or she is not here in U.S ,
why are u waiting 824 approval. please read page 50-60 where many ppl shared u don't need to wait, just send a letter with docs to consular where she is living and they willl create case and will confirm from USCIS that ur status as GC has been already adjusted. and they will send her forms to apply immig visa

----------------------------
Read this, EVEN spouse viloted law .......can adjust status here

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPReligibility.htm

If "otherwise eligible" to immigrate to the U.S., immediate relatives may adjust status to LPR (get a "green card") in the United States even if they may have done any of the following:

worked without permission,

remained in the U.S. past the period of lawful admission (e.g., past the expiration date on your I-94) and filed for adjustment of status while in an unlawful status because of that,

failed otherwise to maintain lawful status and with the proper immigration documentation, or

have been admitted as a visitor without a visa under sections 212(l) or 217 of the Act (which are the 15-day admission under the Guam visa waiver program and the 90-day admission under the Visa Waiver Program, respectively)

Do not 100% believe/depend info provided by a person on this fourm or what an attorney says, do research to verify plz.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
H4 visa and I-485 approval - Very urgent

Dear Gurus's,
Please help.

I got married on Feb 2, 2005 and my wife got her H4 visa on Feb 11th 2005.

I got my I485 approval on Feb 15 2005 and my wife came to USA on Feb 22nd 2005 on H4 visa, we received the letter about my change of status later.[/B]

Now please tell me what are the next steps for my wife to get her Green Card.

1. Should I apply for her I-485 even though I got my I-485 approved? Or

2. I need to go to local INS office and explaine the situation and seek his advice ? (how far is this helpful )

Your suggestions and advice will greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Koolbond

Denied expedite 824

You are right. I sent CIS several fax early this month asking them to process my I-824. The processing date is on Feb. 17, 2004 now, according to their web. And I filed on Dec. 9, 2003. So it has been more than 14 months passed. I really do not understand why they call this an expedite processing. I asked my attorney, he said it was because my I-485 approved in Oct, 2004, which is the date the CIS counts for the starting for I-824, and it usually takes 6 months for I-824 after I-485 approval. Was this true?
Anyway, I will start collecting all documents and send them to my spouse and to start the request from the consulate directly this time.
Thanks for you reply. I am calm down now, but still very upset, it seems an endless waiting.

PrinceofJungle said:
Do not panic plz, read carefuly again what they are saying it says 'Expedite request' was not granted. ...... ur 824 is still pending. did u sent any letter to USCIS to ask to expedite ur pending 824 case? they are dening to expedite not 824 ........... relaxxxxxxxxxxx. :D

Btw did ur attorney advise you that derivative benificiary immidiate relative(spouse) are not eligable to get benifet when u are approved?.

In my understanding she is not applying her self as independent G.C, so her visa catagery is the same as ur NIW. and she is immidiate relative and eligable to get GC through ur approved pettition while here. ask ur attorney.

And even if u are not agreed with that opinion or she is not here in U.S ,
why are u waiting 824 approval. please read page 50-60 where many ppl shared u don't need to wait, just send a letter with docs to consular where she is living and they willl create case and will confirm from USCIS that ur status as GC has been already adjusted. and they will send her forms to apply immig visa

Read this, EVEN spouse viloted law .......can adjust status here

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPReligibility.htm

If "otherwise eligible" to immigrate to the U.S., immediate relatives may adjust status to LPR (get a "green card") in the United States even if they may have done any of the following:

worked without permission,

remained in the U.S. past the period of lawful admission (e.g., past the expiration date on your I-94) and filed for adjustment of status while in an unlawful status because of that,

failed otherwise to maintain lawful status and with the proper immigration documentation, or

have been admitted as a visitor without a visa under sections 212(l) or 217 of the Act (which are the 15-day admission under the Guam visa waiver program and the 90-day admission under the Visa Waiver Program, respectively)

Do not 100% believe/depend info provided by a person on this fourm or what an attorney says, do research to verify plz.

Good Luck

It's Done !!!!

Hey Guys...
My wife had her F2J interview yesterday and it went thro fine... The only hiccup was the Demand Draft. When we received the interview appointment letter the DD amt was calculated using a conversion rate of 46Rs while it was changed recently to 44Rs... And hence the consulate wouldnt accept the DD(even though we were paying more) .. So we had to do some frantic hunting around for a Bank and cash too :) I didnt carry 14K with me !!!!

After that, the Interview was fine ..
1) when did u get married
2) where did u meet your husband..
3) Then a generic discussion on how arranged marriages work etc..
4) which company does your husband work for.
5) How do u like the US and r u excited to go there..

Finally he said Bon Voyage and that the passport would reach in a couple of days...

It has been almost 6 months since I initiated the process and THIS IS THE FORUM to follow.. I had talked to many popular lawyers in the US and I believe that this is the cheapest and most efficient way to do it...

Most of the questions asked by people can be answered by reading previous posts.... I recommend a thorough reading of all posts since the begining..... There may be a post which may be similar to your specific case !!!!

Best of luck to Srini_pvr and others who have filed the F2J process... Let me know if anyone has doubts and I will try to answer it to the best of my understanding..
Couple of points which I would like to mention :-
1) YOU DO NOT NEED TO FILE I-824 to initiate the F2J process
2) The consulate DOES reply to emails ( it may be delayed reply) and phone calls most of the times. Just have patience...

All the best

Ganesh

yzhang1972 said:
Anyone there can tell me where I can download DS-230 forms? Thank you.

INS fillable forms. make sure they are uptodate.

Dept of State - ds230 etc....

http://visapro.com/Department-State-Forms.asp

All InS forms
http://visapro.com/SiteMap.asp

Good Luck and plz keep share ur experience. write every event doc list, u send and they response in ur notebook.

Keep all copies the doc u send to consulate+spouse.
Spouse should carry most all org doc at interview time
Use certified/attest/endorsed photo copies

read other thread if u stuck. or post question.

btw I never filed 824. I am waiting 485 approval. :D

Good Luck

son24 said:
Hey Guys...
My wife had her F2J interview yesterday and it went thro fine... The only hiccup was the...................................
Ganesh

Congratulations, We all glad to see, you crossed the last river too :D .

We all appreciate if you combine your experience step by step with doc info and share with us, it would be lengthy, take ur time , write all together and post , we would appreciate.

After your approval.

What step you followed plz write in sequence?
What doc you collected,gether?
Total how many docs you used?

What kind of letter u sent consulate to initiate the case with what docs?
What was consulate response? after they receive ur request
And how did they send confirmation? to u or spouse?
how long it take time?
how did u reach them first?
and how did u kept ur communicaiton with them?

whet doc did u send to ur spouse?
what did she filled out and signed?
what did the consulate send to you any letter? or ask any doc?
what did they consulate ppl send to ur spouse to fill out and sign?
Plese do list the forms u filed out and signed
Please list the forms u filled on ur spouse
please list the forms they sent to ur spouse she filled out

There are many question , I hope u understand, your info would help many ppl here to understand the process more clearly.

Good Luck

Thanks again.

Here are some more questions.

1. There are several documents will provid by my spouse (birth certificate, DS-230), should I collect all the documents and send them to the embassy or send all documents to spouse and post them in home country? In another words, do I request an immigrant visa for my spouse or the spouse doing it themself?

2. Can someone provide me an sample of cover letter to the consulate? I was not able to find them by searching the posts.

3. Someone mentioned to submit all notarized documents at the beginning, do we have to prepare the same copy of everything and show them to the officer during interview?

Looking for replies. Thank you.

PrinceofJungle said:
INS fillable forms. make sure they are uptodate.

Dept of State - ds230 etc....

http://visapro.com/Department-State-Forms.asp

All InS forms
http://visapro.com/SiteMap.asp

Good Luck and plz keep share ur experience. write every event doc list, u send and they response in ur notebook.

Keep all copies the doc u send to consulate+spouse.
Spouse should carry most all org doc at interview time
Use certified/attest/endorsed photo copies

read other thread if u stuck. or post question.

btw I never filed 824. I am waiting 485 approval. :D

Good Luck

second I-485

I had filled I-140 and I-485 end of 2003 and both are still pending through employment.

Recently I got married to a USC.

I was wondering if I can file a second I-485 (if so what should I write for the "final disposition" in i-485 form).

Thanks in advance.

Can someone answer my questions please? Many thanks!

yzhang1972 said:
Thanks again.

Here are some more questions.

1. There are several documents will provid by my spouse (birth certificate, DS-230), should I collect all the documents and send them to the embassy or send all documents to spouse and post them in home country? In another words, do I request an immigrant visa for my spouse or the spouse doing it themself?

2. Can someone provide me an sample of cover letter to the consulate? I was not able to find them by searching the posts.

3. Someone mentioned to submit all notarized documents at the beginning, do we have to prepare the same copy of everything and show them to the officer during interview?

Looking for replies. Thank you.

Congrats Ganesh.... so, finally u r thru......... Good luck... I am still waiting for a reply from consulate and my priority date...

So, did you use 864? What about the bank statements?

Srini

Ftj

Ganesh

Can you please let me know which consulate you went to in India? My wife is a resident of Mumbai. I was wondering if I should initiate the process for FTJ for her like mentioned in this forum.

What do you think? Can you please send a short description of exactly what was done by you to initiate and complete the FTJ?

Thanks

Rich

Visa approved

Finally my wife's visa was approved last week in Chennai. No questions asked. Just verified documentation.

GC Approval on 8/6/04.
I-824 receipt date 9/13/04
Letters to consulate 10/11/04
Packet III Received - Early December
Packet IV 1/12/05
Interview 2/25/05

Thanks to this forum for providing enormous information. Especially kudos to the veterans like Mike Cordozza, Misstryguy, wdcpost, WheresMahGreen, GCFeeling, FTJQuest and Asrini.

May God bless you all.

Thanks,
Live_Love_Laugh

Hello All,
I am filing for F2J for my wife. My marriage date is Sept 18 2004, and my GC approval date is Oct 6, 2004. Due to lack of my wife's birth certificate I could not register my marriage at the time of marriage [Sept 18th, 2004]. I have registered my marriage now [Feb 22, 2005] during my latest trip to India. Marriage certificate says "Marriage Ceremony conducted on Sept 18, 2004" and "registered on Feb 22, 2005". Will this create any problems at the CP interview? Will be grateful for any input that you may have!!

Rich, If you have got married before your GC approval, just GO FOR IT.. Dont waste any time.
Srini, Answered your questions below...
Prince of Jungle, Lemme try and answer all your questions . I still advise you go through all the other posts on this forum, since there may be

a scenario which specifically applies to you :-
1) After my GC approval, I got the I-551 stamped on the passport.
I then took a photocopy of all plages in passport, I-551,485 approval notice, Marriage certificate, birth certificate ( i didnt have a birth certificate and hence used an affidavit) and a covering letter stating that I would like to initiate the F2J process. I got all the docs notorized in the US( except marriage cert since that was with wife in India) and sent it to my wife who in turn sent it to the consulate. (Yes, notory is a 1$ a page and so I fit in like 4 passport pages on 1 page:). The consulate address is on the website. It is also required to send a copy of the Green Card (plastic card) but during my stamping the officer said that it wud take 6-12 months !!! I sent a mail to the consulate that I cannot wait so long for the plastic card and requested them to create a Case number without the card. They replied ( by email) that I send all the other docs and the consular officer wud take a decision. The consulate DID process the docs without the GC copy.
They didnt give any confirmation that they received all the documents. Only the receipt from the courier service. After a week or 2 we called them and they confirmed that they have received the documents and will start reviewing the docs and create a Case number.
Note - I did not file the I-824 to initiate the F2J process and did not submit the copy of Green card. Also when I went for stamping in the US,the officer took my original 485 approval notice, so luckily I had a xerox which I could notorize and submit.

2) The CASE number was created approximately 2 months after we submitted the docs. In these 2 months we followed up a couple of times by phone
and email, and they just said that we be patient and a CASE will soon be created. Many other ppl who had initiated the F2J process at the same
time as us had their CASE numbers assigned which caused additional anxiety, but the consulate said that every case is unique and we just wait.

After my wife received the Packet, she filled the DS -230 Part 1 and another checklist saying that we have collected all the other documents and sent it back to the consulate.

3) After sending the Packet 3 documents, the next step is to wait for the Packet 4 which is essentially the Visa appointment. It took approx 2 1/2 months after submitting the Packet 3 to get an appointment. In this time my wife collected the following documents :-
PCC from the local passport office ( this comprises a stamp on the passport and another certifcate)
Police clearance certificate from the city where my wife resided since the age of 16
My wife also applied for a name change and hence she was issued a new passport stapled to the old one. THIS IS NOT REQUIRED though...
All the forms sent in Pkt 3 and Pkt 4 have to filled in by spouse. I had to only fill in the I-134 affidavit of Support. I was in India while filling in the Affidavit of support and it states on the form that if the form is filled outside the US, it has to be notorized by a counselor officer. I sent an email to the consulate saying that I am in India and asked if I have to get the I-134 notorized and they said that the 134 is not required !!!! but when I called them they said that I come to chennai before the interivew and get it notorized ... Anyway(to play it safe) I did go to chennai a day before the interview and get it notorized. There is a seperate entrance at the Consulate in Chennai for notorization and it took me 45 mins to get it done..
My wife took the following docs for the interview
- Visa Appointment Letter
- DS230 Part 1 and 2
- Mariage certificate and supporting docs like Wedding invitation and Wedding photographs.
- PCC
- Police certificates
- Wife - Birth certificate
- Medical reports ( done a couple of days before the interview. instructions are given in the Pkt 4) Chennai - If u go in the morning ( 10-12)u can get the lab tests done and same evening doctor is available between 5-7. U can take an appointment to ensure that the doc is available. If u need an detailed info on the medical examination procedure let me know.

Affidavit of Support ( 1-134) The supporting documents for this have to be collected by me.
- Employment verification letter- Letter from my company stating date I joined, salary and permenant position. I got this letter just a couple of weeks before the interview. If you get this letter dated 3-6 months before the interview, I suggest you send your wife the latest Paystubs.
- Letter from Bank which specifies the balance in your savings account. This is typically called an "Account verification letter " by US Banks.
I also carried bank statements for the last 6-8 months . (it was easy for me since I could download them). The conselor officer did keep my most recent bank statement. You need to have statements of house, stock investments etc.. if u r planning to show that as your financial assets etc..
- 1040 for the last 3 years. You can call the IRS and they will send u copies if u dont already have them
- w2 for last 3 years. I got them from my employer

- Immigration Photographs ( 50mm x 50mm) frontal view, the side view ones are no longer valid.

4) After the interview, the officer said that my wife wud receive the passport and docs after 2-3 days but she got it the very next morning. ( amazingly fast !!!.
And so that's our story !!!! Let me know if u have any questions...

Ftj- I-824

ananta.c said:
Hi,

I recently contacted chennai consulate by email about the procedure of F2J :

Here is the response which I received from them.Based on their info. I guess we don't need to send I-824. I am waiting for my 485 approval to start F2J process to my wife.

-----------------------------------------------------

Email response from chennai consulate :

Follow to Join process

After the principal applicant receives his/her green card, you are required to send copies of the following notarized documents to our office:

Approval Notice (Form I-797)

All pages in the Passport

Green Card (Both sides)

Marriage Certificate

Applicant's Birth Certificate

Current mailing address

This office will request the USCIS to confirm the principal applicant's status after which a case will be created and this process may take at least three months. Once we create a case, the applicant will be informed directly.

Visa Information Unit
American Consulate General
220, Anna Salai
Chennai 600 006
India
Phone - 91-44-28112060(dir), 28112000(board)
Fax - 91-44- 28112020, 28112027
Website - http://chennai.usconsulate.gov

Gurus,
I contacted chennai consulate regarding FTJ process and here is the following response which i got and i am quoting one from previous post. I am confused. Any suggestions will be of help.

Do I need I-824 approved or the reciept notiCe is enough.

RESPONSE FROM CHENNAI CONSULATE:

"For following to join cases, we need confirmation of principal
applicant's Legal Permanent Resident Status (LPR) from the United States
Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
To process the case further, please send the following certified
(attorney or notary) copies to our office.

1. Copy of I-797c of approved I-824;
2. Copy of I-797c of approved I-140;
3. Copy of permanent resident's I-551 (better known as green card, both
sides);
4. Complete copy of principal applicant's passport with evidence of
admission as Legal Permanent Resident;

Also, please include the copies of marriage certificate, visa
applicant's birth certificate , complete local address in India and DS-230 Part
I.
You may mail them to:
American Consulate General
Immigrant Visa Unit