Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I824

What happens with I824 process is, USCIS will take their own time(going thru all dates and log process) and let the embassy know that you have a valid GC in US. Then embassy start the FTJ process.

But, nowadays once you send the documents to embassy. They themselves verify the validity of your GC with USCIS(which takes lesser time) and start the FTJ process.

Hope this helps.

FTJ Questions

The questions were

Who was your petioner?
When was the wedding?
How many people were there on the wedding?
Have you been to U.S before?

Good luck to all of you!!

question

guys:
i am still trying for appt. if i get it in couple of weeks i may bring her here.
but the thing is, we may have to go out of this country for a very imp family function within 1 month.

wt happens in foll scenario:

1. She gets H4 & comes to US. I add her to my 485. Assuming my GC hassnt come through, we go out in a months time. The time i am out I get my GC approved. I am still working on H1 and not using EAD. So what happens to us?

2. She gets H4 & comes to US. we apply for 485, & AP. Lets say, the AP doesnt come through by the time we go out. we go out and my gc gets approved. what happens in her case?

3. she applied for h4 and befoe she comes here i get my gc. can she stillcome in h4? or sh has to comein ftj only?

4. she comes in h4. i get my gc b4 we apply for 485 for her. can i apply ftp if she is in US? does she has to go bk?

pl advice

She can come on H4 if you haven't got GC and maintain proper H1.If she leaves after filing 485 but before AP it will be considered abandoned and she ahve to follow FTJ

Accompanying and Following to Join: An Overview

Accompanying and Following to Join: An Overview

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) provides that the spouse or child of a preference immigrant can often "accompany" or "follow to join" the principal alien. What exactly that means, however, and in what contexts the concepts operate, can be confusing. This article provides an overview on this topic.

Overview

"Accompanying" is a term of art. An alien derivative can be defined as "accompanying" the principal if he or she entered the United States in the personal company of the principal, or if the derivative is issued an immigrant visa within four months of either the principal’s date of visa issuance, adjustment of status, or personal appearance and registration before a consular officer abroad to confer alternate foreign state chargeability or immigrant status upon a spouse or child. "Following to join" "applies to a spouse or child who derives immigration status and a priority date from a principal applicant spouse or parent" as defined by the statute. There is no time limit for a follow-to-join beneficiary to seek visa issuance and admission.

Retaining the principal alien’s priority date is one of the main reasons that "accompanying" or "following to join" is preferable to filing a separate visa petition. The derivative can use the principal immigrant’s priority date regardless of the length of time between admission of the principal and visa issuance to the beneficiary. Also, derivatives can follow to join even though that they were not named on the principal’s visa petition. Moreover, a derivative beneficiary does not have to actually "join" the principal in the United States; he or she can reside anywhere in the United States.

Legislation adopted in 1986 imposed certain restrictions on immigration benefits obtainable through marriage to a U.S. citizen or a resident alien. Those restrictions do not apply, however, to the spouse or child of a preference immigrant who obtains derivative status upon the approval of the principal alien’s visa petition under one of the preference categories.

Employment and Family-Based Immigrants

Relationship Requirements

To be eligible to accompany or follow to join, a few criteria must be met. The spouse and/or child must meet the statutory definition of "spouse" and/or "child." This precludes, for example, children who are married, unmarried children over the age of 21, spouses joined by proxy marriages that have not been consummated, and homosexual spouses.

The requisite spousal or parental relationship must have existed before the principal alien’s admission to the United States. Thus, a child who is adopted after the principal’s admission does not qualify for this benefit. However, a child qualifying as an adopted child under INA § 101(b)(1)(E) after the principal alien’s admission but who was adopted and was a member of the principal alien’s household before the adoptive parent’s admission to the United States, is considered to have been acquired before the principal alien’s admission.

Children and spouses acquired between the time of visa issuance and an alien’s admission are eligible for these benefits. And a child born of a marriage that existed at the time of the principal alien’s admission is considered to have been acquired before the principal alien’s admission.

In addition, the requisite spousal or parental relationship must persist both at the derivative’s visa issuance and his or her admission to the United States. Thus, a qualifying familial relationship that is terminated due to death, "aging out," divorce or other events no longer entitles the derivative alien to accompanying or following to join benefits.

A few other timing considerations should be noted. A derivative who precedes the principal alien to the United States cannot be classified as an "accompanying" beneficiary. One appellate court ruled that the statute’s explicit language is designed to ensure that those derivative aliens cannot exercise their right to enter the United States until the principal alien has actually entered. This ruling has since been distinguished by the Board of Immigration Appeals, which held that a derivative cannot precede the principal alien to the United States as an immigrant, but may be eligible to "accompany or follow to join" as a matter of law if he or she preceded the principal to the United States as a nonimmigrant.

Section 245(i)

Between 1994 and 1997 certain aliens who did not qualify for adjustment of status under INA § 245 nevertheless could do so under INA § 245(i). In November 1997, Congress enacted a law ending § 245(i). The law, however, grandfathers aliens in the United States for whom an immigrant visa petition or labor certification was on file by January 14, 1998, and any spouse or child accompanying or following to join the principal applicant.

The INS has stated orally that spouses or children accompanying or following to join a grandfathered alien are eligible to adjust under INA § 245(i). Therefore, even if the individual was not a spouse or child as of January 14, 1998, he or she can adjust under § 245(i) if he or she is a spouse or child at the time of the principal’s adjustment. The INS has not yet confirmed this position in writing, however.

Those Ineligible to Accompany or Follow to Join

Parents of intending immigrants or children of derivative children cannot be classified as derivative aliens. It also should be noted that an immediate relative cannot be a derivative on the petition of another immediate relative. As previously stated, those who lose derivative status are no longer eligible to accompanying or following to join benefits. And those who precede the principal alien to the United States as an immigrant are not eligible for these benefits.

Read more
http://www.twmlaw.com/resources/general25cont.htm

Good Luck

Doubts ...

Hi Guys
I have a couple of doubts regarding the documents required for the interview
- Bank statements. All I have is a letter from the Bank which mentions all my accounts and $ amt in each. In the Pkt 3, they say that I should have a statement from a senior bank officer showing present balance,date acct was opened, number and amt of deposits and withdrawals during the last 12 months and average balance of the year !!!
Can anyone suggest the format of this letter. Banks have no clue of what they need to give. It is almost impossible for them to give all withdrawals and deposits of 1 year

- 1040 and W2. I have copies of 1040 which I got from the IRS ( someone mentioned on this website). Can you pls suggest how I get copies of my W2. I dont have them with me now.

- Financial support affidavit was form I-131. Now in packet4 it says form I-864 !!!. From where did this come from now ??

Pls help.. Dont have much time to collect the docs

Thanks
Ganesh

son24 said:
Hi Guys
Can anyone suggest the format of this letter.
- About 2 months back, I carried last 3 months bankstatements.

Can you pls suggest how I get copies of my W2.
- Check with your employer, once I got a duplicate since I lost mine in the mail.
Financial support affidavit was form I-131.
I know, this one was confusing - I carried both, but gave just I-131 (its just a matter of getting notorized) and they never asked for other one.

Best of luck

If you are not aware of it, plz read

As of December 2001, immigrant visa packet system has been eliminated in favor of new system.

Packets 1, 2, 2a, and 3a no longer exist.

"Packet 3" has been renamed "Instruction Package for Immigrant Visa Applicants."

"Packet 4" is now "Appointment Package for Immigrant Visa Applicants."

"Packet 4a," which is the mailing that initiates the termination process, is now "Follow-Up Instruction Package for Immigrant Visa Applicants."

The old OF-169 (Checklist of Documents), which was renamed DS-2001 in 2001, is now a redesigned information sheet entitled "Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants." This document is part of the new "Instruction Packet for Immigrant Visa Applicants." The DS-2001 has been redesigned as a one-page optional form to be used by applicants or their agents to notify post or NVC that they are ready for interview.

Good LUck and plz always share all info u have and u think it help ppl.

Follow to join

Hi There,

I'm From India. I Just Got 1-485 Approved And Stamped On My Passport. My Wife Is On J-1 And Finish Her 3 Year Hrr In May 2005. Does Anybody Know The Processing For Follow To Join Spouse Cases. How Long Will It Take To Get Her Approval? Is There A Long Delay For People From India?

Any Input Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks!

Anil

What happens in the case where the wife is already in US on F1. I cant add my wife to my I485 becos the PDs retrogressed. If for some reason, my 485 gets approved before i can add my wife, would I also need to use the Follow To Join route.

thanks for any inputs..

I-130 for wife approved - how long will it take

I am a US citizen filing for my wife who is in india. I went to india got married and came here and filed in nebraska for i-130 . i got the notice that it was approved yesterday.

Does anyone know how long will it take for the consultate to call her to issue the visa? (she is in kerala)

How long will it take for her to get here?

If anyone can helpme out with this, i would really appreciate it.

getting 23 yr.old step son out of Russia

My wife and her younger son now have 2 year conditional green cards
every thing filed except I-751 to be filed by Aug 2006.
we have filed I-130 for her older son in Texas but they sent them to Califorina
and we find that the processing date now is April 1998 (8 years back log)
Is there any way we can get a visa of any kind for him to come to the USA
and wait for processing of his file here instead of being apart from the rest of his family for 8 years?
I have never heard of this follow to join what is it?
thank you for any help in this matter.

Can someone help me out with an answer, please?

I-130 for wife approved - how long will it take

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a US citizen filing for my wife who is in india. I went to india got married and came here and filed in nebraska for i-130 . i got the notice that it was approved yesterday.

Does anyone know how long will it take for the consultate to call her to issue the visa? (she is in kerala)

How long will it take for her to get here?

If anyone can helpme out with this, i would really appreciate it.

Got Married two months before GC approval

Need Help..
I got married two months before GC approval..I got my GC approved in July2003. My wife stayed back in India to complete her studies..now she is planning to come here. I did not realize until last month that process is not as easy as bringing on H4. Can I bring my wife through F2Join process? I have read few postings in this thread and majority of them really got their GC in last few months..Is there any time limit on F2J process?
Thanks in advance for response.

Info Seeker said:
Need Help..
I got married two months before GC approval..I got my GC approved in July2003. My wife stayed back in India to complete her studies..now she is planning to come here. I did not realize until last month that process is not as easy as bringing on H4. Can I bring my wife through F2Join process? I have read few postings in this thread and majority of them really got their GC in last few months..Is there any time limit on F2J process?
Thanks in advance for response.

Its mean u married in April 2003. and its almost after 2 years have gone.

did u submit any doc/petitions before/after approval on behalf of ur spouse to INS?

if yes what were they?

the standard procedure is if u get married and ur 485 is pending ur spouse is eliagable to get FTJ benifites.

u can read and learn how to apply in these threads. it would take some time to read all and understand the procedure .

Read carefully and understand first. post the procedure u understand, ppl would help in ur understanding if needed.

Honestly due to time gap, u must allow ur attorney to handle this. INS would be asking about the gap and ur awareness. and would treat this one as doubtful/specious case due to gap.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
PrinceofJungle said:
Its mean u married in April 2003. and its almost after 2 years have gone.

did u submit any doc/petitions before/after approval on behalf of ur spouse to INS?

if yes what were they?

the standard procedure is if u get married and ur 485 is pending ur spouse is eliagable to get FTJ benifites.

u can read and learn how to apply in these threads. it would take some time to read all and understand the procedure .

Read carefully and understand first. post the procedure u understand, ppl would help in ur understanding if needed.

Honestly due to time gap, u must allow ur attorney to handle this. INS would be asking about the gap and ur awareness. and would treat this one as doubtful/specious case due to gap.

Good Luck
I think I-824 should be filed within 1 year after I-485 approval. Was I-824 was filed in your case?

Appling as Son of USC over 21 yrs

My dad is soon going to be US Citizen. I am over 21 years old, unmarried and working on H1-B.

My questions are:
1.how long it takes to get GC if he applies for me.
2. What happens if I get married?
3. How long it will take before I get any benefit like getting EAD etc.

I would appreciate any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.