Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: what exactly is the FTJ process?

Originally posted by sachinphadke
can someone explain the process to me? thanks

485GCCase
---------------

I really dont know how long it takes from start to finish. I started it (after so many confusions) in beg of Aug. I have no Idea when it will end. I am guessing if you know the procedures and if you are lucky it can happen anywhere between 3 to 6 months. Good luck.

Sachin
--------

If you get married before your I-485 is approved and if you are not able to bring your spouse, you can bring your spouse through a process called Following-to-join. Its almost same as consular processing, except that you dont have to mention anything in I-140 and NVC's role in following-to-join is very limited or nill. Also The consulate need not wait for visa availablilty to give IV to the spouse of a PR. This is supposed to be much simpler than applying for a spose IV after you get your green card. Take a look at this link and it might give you more details.

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/howdoi/Appproc.htm#Following

Hope this helps

More info needed

After repeated mails to Chennai consulate, it issued a Packet3. But my husband never received it. So what do I do? In addition do I need I1864 or some other document...

Do I need it to get it notorized????

Please reply....
REgards
GRAMS2

Re: More info needed

Originally posted by grams2
After repeated mails to Chennai consulate, it issued a Packet3. But my husband never received it. So what do I do? In addition do I need I1864 or some other document...

Please reply....
REgards
GRAMS2

Today, I was wondering what happened to your case. Do you know when they sent the packet 3? ITs ok even if your hubby didnt receive it, you can simply download it from the chennai consulate web site or from anywhere and fill it and send it. You need to fill I-134 and yes you need to get it notorized, but you dont need I-134 now, you need that only at the time of interview. For now you need to send only DS230 Part I and DS169 for now.

Hope this helps and good luck, I am also waiting for the response from chennai. God knows what is going on there!.

Update and Info needed

Chennai consulate told me that it had mailed the forms on Oct 30. So far my husband has not received it. But I have MDR reference number. I will fill that number and ask my husband to sign and mail. Thanks for the information that I do not need I134 now.

One more question.. I-134 mentions tax-return required only if you are self employed. Is that true? Or do I need to get tax return also. I am employed by a company..

Any info is greatly appreciated..

Regards
GRAMS2

Re: Update and Info needed

Chennai consulate told me that it had mailed the forms on Oct 30. So far my husband has not received it. But I have MDR reference number. I will fill that number and ask my husband to sign and mail. Thanks for the information that I do not need I134 now.

One more question.. I-134 mentions tax-return required only if you are self employed. Is that true? Or do I need to get tax return also. I am employed by a company..

Any info is greatly appreciated..

Regards
GRAMS2

My lawyer says that tax returns are not required, for me he told that the only thing required is a lattest employment letter, but If I were you, I would take the tax returns also. Its just one more sheet of paper.

Police certificate

My husband lived in a couple of States in India. Is is required to get it from all of them or only from latest address??

I appreiciate all the help I am getting here.. I really need it at this time..

Regards
GRAMS2

Follow-to-Join Nebraska/Chennai

Hi guys,

It appears as if several folks in this thread who are going nowhere with this FTJ process. I am in the same boat and it really sucks! I applied for the I-824 on March 13th and am still waiting for Nebraska to do something.

Meanwhile, i mailed Packet III papers (along with the list that carguy sent out) to Chennai in May, but didn't hear a peep out of them. Emails and phone calls have not helped. I am not sure what to do. I am going to India in a couple of weeks and am planning on going to the consulate to give the packet III papers in person.

Did anyone try this? I am not sure what queue (I am guessing immigrant visa - but I don't have an appointment) that i would need to stand in and if the security guys would even let me in. Also, I am planning on going on Dec 23rd. Anyone know how the immigrant visa stuff works (they have appointments on Dec 20th and then only 27th)? I would really appreciate if you guys have any experiences or stories to share.

thanks,
MH

FTJ Mumbai consulate

Hi,
Is mumbai consulate accepting JFT CP application based on I-824 receipt. Has any one heard back from them. Getting I-824 approved seems to be a very long wait (6+ months). Hey Carguy do you have any updates on this issue.

Some success with Follow To Join

I send the following docs to the consulate on Nov 1st, 2002. They created case file on Dec 2nd, 2002.

· Original I-797 Approval Notice of my I-140 petition
· Attorney Certified copy of the I-140 petition
· Original Receipt Notice of I-824
· Attorney Certified copy of my passport (with ADIT stamp) and spouse passport
· Attorney Certified copy of my Green Card
. Form DS-230

They have mailed packet 3.5 to spouse.

Of course, in all the wait I had to call them many times to know how long it will take but until yesterday nobody there even said if they have received the packet. Good luck to you all. Hope this info helps someone else too.

Thanks,
MK2001

MK2001

Congratulation. At least they started the proceeding. For some people it took a while to get the ackonowledgement from the embassy. Please, keep us posted.

Thanks

I-824

Hello All

My I-824 application has been assigned to an officer on Dec 5th 2002. I spoke to the IIO and she told me once it has been approved it will be cabled to Chennai Consulate. The Cable will reach immediately but the file will be transfered in 1 month to the consulate. I applied on Jun 20 2002. Can you tell me what I have to do once it is approved. (ie) Can I download Packet 3 and send it to the consulate with I-824 approval being added as one of the document to packet3.

After reading so many people posting that after I-824 approval chennai consulate was not notified I am discouraged totally and I dont know what to do at this stage. Can anyone help me.

Also I send the following mail to the chennai consulate and this is what I got back from them

No, please wait for the INS to send us the case.

Customer Service Unit
American Consulate General
220, Anna Salai
Chennai 600006
Ph-91-44-8112060/2000

To: chennaic@state.gov
Subject: Follow-to-Join

Hello Sir/Madam

I have applied for I-824 petition (Follow-to-join) for my wife and it is
pending for approval. Can you please tell me if you can generate Packet 3
with the following information notarized.

1) Copy of my approved I-140 application< /FONT>
2) Copy of my approved I-485 Application (Adjustment of Status to permanent
resident).
3) Copy of my Green Card

Also please let me know if you need any other information to generate the
Packet 3.

Thank you very much
xxxxx

Fake marriage certificate

We all know that follow-to-join benefits applies to people who are married before 485 is approved. Now what is the proof that someone was married before 485 got approved? Marriage certificate? What if some crook makes up a fake marriage certificate with old date, how will INS catch him?

FTJ Case @ Mumbai Consulate Update

Hello everybody,

sorry for not posting any updates in a while. Here is what has been going on:

(for those of you who have not read my earlier mails, I have a reciept notice, dated Jan 23, 2002 for an I-824. By November, 2002, no approval notice yet. This was getting frustrating, so the following is what transpired)

In early november, my lawyer mailed packet 3 forms to the mumbai consulate, along with the I-824 reciept notice and copy of the marriage certificate.

By late November, the mumbai consulate created a case number, and mailed my wife packet three forms again.

My lawyer e-mailed them to ask why we were required to fill out packet three forms again. The only response was: please fill them and mail them back to us. Ok, so in early December, we filled out the forms and mailed them back, again.

In three weeks, the consulate replied with an interview date in Mid January.

In the meantime, in december, the I-824 was finally approved, though a fat lot of good that did! should have sent in the documents with the I-824 reciept months ago...

Well, so for those of you who are waiting for an I-824 approval: there is no need to, at least for the mumbai consulate.

Anybody have any experience with the interview? What kind of question are asked, etc? Any help/advice/preparation in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

carguy

Can I apply a TIN for my wife?

Can I apply a Tax Identification Number for my wife who is waiting for the following to join? I think she is a dependent of me. Anybody have done that?
Thanks.

tax id no.

u can apply for individual tax id # ( ITIN) without an SSN.
hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: More info needed

Please reply....
REgards
GRAMS2

You are all set to get the interview once u have an MDR #.

Go ahead and download the fillable forms and ask ur husband to send them to con.For the interview there is not much he needs to do otherthan getting a PCC from India. Then again u mau have to wait for 2-3 mths.Have as much info as possible for the interview like- 3 yrs tax returns, which you get by calling tollfree IRS or personally collecting them from nearest IRS office.These are printouts from their computers, I would'nt worry about the 2002 taxreturn since u did not submit it. Bank statements with savings balance carry good impression. A notarised empl.letter is essential, unless you are self employed. I 134 and I 864both were in my file,and they took both without hesitation.convincing evidence of marriage is important.Med exam will be done in 2 days.Dont need to spend more than 3 days and 2 nights in chennai including the day of interview.
Hope this helps

Re: Pl. need some advice

Originally posted by 485GCCase
I have applied for I 485 and might get approved in another couple of months (RD is Feb 2002), my husband was on J1 visa and has gone back to india to fulfil the condition of 2 yrs in India. I want to bring him later on Follow-To-Join. What can I do at this point to make him come to US faster? Can I apply for his Follow To Join now itself or after my green card is approved? I really don't understand this package system and my lawyer will not tell anything about it unless I hire her for my husband too with extra cash.

What can I do at this stage to make Follow to join case get faster later? Thanks for the advice, you guys seem to be veteran in such case.
No Need for a lawyer for an I-824, because this is a follow-to -join.The marriage already took place before the Issuance of per. res. status to spouse; just download the I-824 and send it to your service center;attnys only delay it thats all; you can not go wrong as this is a very simple petition, all the complexities are over with your 140 and 485 petitions, your husband will come back with a green card by the end of 2yr home cty stay.
In fact you have to answer a ? in I-824 petion 'if this is an appl for a duplicate of I 824' The fee is not much. So if you dont get a reply in 6-8 months send onemore I-824. one immi. officer indirectly suggested that to me when complained that nothing is happening with the consulate. good luck

Hello everybody,

Some questions for those of you who have recently been through the Follow-to-Join interview. My wife's interview is coming up towards the end of January, and I am looking for:

1. I am submitting form I-134 as evidence of financial support. The letter my wife received from the consulate in Mumbai does not state the requirement for tax returns along with form I-134. Anybody have any experiences with this? Are tax return forms really required?

2. What constitutes "solid proof of weding"? My wife intends to take along the wedding certificate, and a fairly thick album of photographs!

3. Any specifics of what to expect in this interview.

4. What happens afterwards? Do they stamp the "green card" in the passport? or do they stamp an entry permit?

Thank you,

carguy

Status
Not open for further replies.