Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow to Join : Reply to Carguy

Reply To Carguy,

Congratulations Carguy,
I know how relaxed you might be 'cause Im going through the same waiting you went through. I applied to Chennai consulate in the 1st week of Oct after being frustrated with my 824.

Im in India currently and seeking to meet the counsulate guys. I read one of ur posts on 1st Jan explaining how you went throught the whole process. But now I cant see this post anymore. Did you take delete the same, or was it that I saw something else.

I have done evrything simlar, except that in ur case it was Mumbai counsulate and in mine its Chennai. You sent in ur application thro' ur attorney and notarised by ur attorney. In my case I sent it directly and notarised by my bank. So now instead of making guess works I have sent in all paperwork (even though 3 months have gone) to my attorney asking him to notarise it and send it again. Do you think it would make any difference. Any advise would be appreciated

I know some ther friends from this foruim have also come down trying to meet people from the counsulate. If you wish we can have a talk. My residence number in Bombay is
91-22-25679792 or email me at paulsimon74@yahoo.com

Thanks and have a great day.

Paul Simon

Originally posted by carguy
Hello everybody,

Some questions for those of you who have recently been through the Follow-to-Join interview. My wife's interview is coming up towards the end of January, and I am looking for:

1. I am submitting form I-134 as evidence of financial support. The letter my wife received from the consulate in Mumbai does not state the requirement for tax returns along with form I-134. Anybody have any experiences with this? Are tax return forms really required?

2. What constitutes "solid proof of weding"? My wife intends to take along the wedding certificate, and a fairly thick album of photographs!

3. Any specifics of what to expect in this interview.

4. What happens afterwards? Do they stamp the "green card" in the passport? or do they stamp an entry permit?

Thank you,

carguy
1. I-824 is not quite different, I took both, they collected both.
Tax returns confirm ur good conduct with IRS and u r unquestionable earning status, which supports the spousal application
2.The Indian cons.officials are conversant with the Mar registration procedures, so Registrar of Mar shd confirm the wedding with dates.
3.Not much.Too quick and short that you will be disappointed that its all over so painlessly.You will not believe it until you receive the bluedart that the visa is actually issued.
4.They give a brown sealed envelope(Bluedart) with visa pinned outside, to be seen at airports.Dont open the envelope.Just carry it with the attached visa on it.The latter will show passport details and USA visa details.
5.Go to regular noncitizen lines at the POE.They will send u to another line/ counter.

FTJ in Dhaka

Originally posted by Sahin
Congratulation. At least they started the proceeding. For some people it took a while to get the ackonowledgement from the embassy. Please, keep us posted.

Thanks

Sahin
I also applied for I 824 for my spouse for FTJ in Dhaka --- I got over through the pothole for approval of I-824 but stepped into the pothole of missing cable message. I have caled Dhaka 3 times and it's been a month since the notification but they keep saying that they haven't get the notification.

Any news about your notification?

Any ideas about what would work ot what to do --- like Mumbai or Chenni, does sending copies of I-824 or I-485 would work?

Hello Everybody,

A quick update on my wife's FTJ case. She went for the interview last week, and on the first day, the Mumbai consulate requested her to get photocopies of ALL pages of my passport, and copies of ALL pages of expired passports, if I had used those to travel to the USA in the past. My wife had copies of the relevant pages of my passport, but the consulate said she needed to get copies of all the pages, including blank visa pages. Also, they wanted a better copy of my green card. The photo on my green card is very light, to begin with, and it does not photocopy well, at all. So I ended up doing a colour scan, and emailing that.

She returned to the consulate with the additional copies, a day later, and was given the immigrant visa. So, finally, the long wait comes to an end. Here is a summary of the timeline, for those of you who are beginning or are in the process:

End Dec, 2001: Applied for I-824
Mid Jan, 2002: Reciept Notice date on I-824 application
End Oct, 2002: Gave up on waiting for approval of I-824 and contacted Mumbai Consulate directly.
End Nov, 2002: Approval notice of I-824
End Nov, 2002: Consulate mails out Forms to my wife
End Dec, 2002: After we mailed back the forms consulate had sent out, consulate schedules interview for End Jan, 2002

So, in effect, we could have saved a whole year, by not waiting for the approval notice for I-824, and just proceeding with the reciept notice.

Good luck to all of you who are waiting, and for all those of you who helped, and gave me advice, thank you very much. I shall keep checking back on this board, for the next few weeks,￾@so if anybody has any questions about my experiences, I will be glad to answer.

Regards,

carguy

Hi

Has anyone filed I 824 without attorney ? how complicated is it ?
I am trying to file for my wife ,I need some detail
about filling the form (part 3)

any help is greatly appreciated !

ht

It is a fairly straightforward process, that you can certainly do without a lawyer (though I used the services of one, myself). I looked at all the forms my attorney filled out before she sent them in, and they looked straightforward enough.

I went with an attorney for peace of mind in case things went wrong. Also, my lawyer was able to authoratatively answer the numerous questions I had about the process. True, you can get information from portals such as this, but sometimes, answers from a lawyer may be much more reliable. Personally, I thought the price (about $500) was definitley worth it for the peace of mind that I had going with a lawyer.

That said, what kind of questions do you have about form 3 (please specify which form, by useing the form number such as DS2001, etc.) ? Perhaps members on this forum can help you out...

Later,

Carguy

Thanks carguy for the Quick Reply ,

The application form I mentioned is I 824
my question is how to fill up part 3 on I 824

Here is the details I am looking for under Part3 of I 824

Part 3 Prcoessing Information

Type of petition/Application(Form #)
I -485 ?

Filing Receipt#
LIN-xxx-xxxx ?

Date of filing
I 485 filing date ?

Date approved
I 485 date of approval ?

if the petition is filed for another person ,give the following about
the person you filed for :

should I mention my wife detail ?? I assumed this is for my wife . I dont know this is correct thats why I want to clarify my doubt !

Family Name :

last name of my wife ?

Given Name :
First Name of my wife ?
Middle Initial

Middle initial of my wife
Date of birth
Date of birth of my wife

country of birth

my wife's country of birth

A#
??? ( I dont have alien Number for my wife because she never been to US and never applied any immigrant visa here in USA)

also where I do specify my wife local address so that US consulate can send packet 3 to her ?

I dont know if this is complicated as per carguy

I will approach the attorney !

Thanks ,

ht

Hello ht102,

Tried replying to your message a couple of days ago, but the server for this site crashed... :(

Anyways, here goes again:

I am looking at a copy of the I-824 my lawyer had prepared for me. Your answers to Type of petition/Application(Form #) , Filing Receipt#, Date of filing , and, Date approved are correct.

The next section, my lawyer left blank. This petition is being filed for action on YOUR I-485. You are the beneficiary.

Along with the form, my lawyer had written a letter to INS, informing them that this petition was being filed to initiate the FTJ process, and she had included documents for verification that FTJ was a valid process in my case. These documents included a copy of my I-485 approval notice, copy of my green card stamp from my passport, copy of our marriage certificate, copy of my wife's passport, copy of my wife's birth certificate, and her current address, and which consulate she would be applying at.

Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of the letter my lawyer had drafted for INS. I think this is an area where advice from an attorney will save you time, later on in the process.

Regards, and good luck,

carguy

To Carguy

Carguy,

Congartulations. Can you please email me your attorneys contact nos and email. Im in the same situation as you were and I think he could help me.My email is paulsimon74@yahoo.com

Thanks a ton,
Paul

To Carguy/ Dharmarao

Carguy and Dharma,

Im in the same sitaution as you guys were. I need advice to expedite things.
I appied for I-824 in July 02 and when I thought it was taking long, sent an email to Chennai consulate and they asked me to mail them all docs like to Carguy. I did that in Oct 02.
But after that when I email them asking for an update they keep saying they are checking my LPR with US INS. Please advice on if I can do anything extra. Even ehen I ask them the most basic qtn that "Did U receive all my paperwork" they dont reply. Also when I ask their verifying my LPR details, like any request number or receipt number that I could follow up with INS - they dont reply.
Please advice

Also the 824 approval hasnt come, so should I apply for a duplicate one?

Also Dharma - If u coulc give month/year wise the time taken for ur process, it would be great...the same way as Carguy did?

Awaiting ur reply
Paul

budfibe

Hello Budfibe,

Please provide me your email address. My I485 has not ben approved yet. Therefore, I did not start the FTJ process yet.

I heard from someone that Dhaka consulate does not even know what is follow to join. They have no idea. They told that when we will have the visa number available and we wil be notified, we will start processing. Therefore, they dont care about FTJ or pother consular processing.

What stage u r at now. How is everyhting with you. Did they got the cable. Please let me know.

I am past 485 approval --- but I am still struggling to get the consulate to get notified by the TSC -- TSC sent a notification ( as they said in the receipt notice) early dec but still to this date no confirmation from the consulate ---
You are right about the FTJ --- the process seems very unclear to them --- I am fed up calling them --- so far whenever I call, they ask me a case # (not the receipt # of I 824) but I couldn't convince them that they are the person who will make the case based on the notification.

I can't get any details about the notification from TSC --- it is a deadlock situation ---- I can't request 2nd notification unless TSC gives the details from the first notification.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nayblahscar/dharma

Nayblahscar/dharma

Did you guys apply for a TIN # yet? What papers did you guys submit to support the TIN application?

The form requests for either the original or US consulate certified copies of the supporting papers ---- the instruction says it wouldn't accept notarized copies of the supporting papers other than notarized by the US consulate.

What did you guys do?

Thnaks a bunch

budfibe

I-824 beneficiary

Hey folks
I am just trying to clear out somehting ---- the beneficiary field of the I-824 should say the applicant's name right? --- as far I understand, I am the beneficiary of the I-485 petition and the I-824 is just a consulate notification about the status of LPR for which I am the beneficiary.

Budfibe

I-824 Approved :)

Hello All

My I-824 has been approved on Feb 11 2003. I applied in CSC. RD 06/20/2002. It has been notified to Chennai Consulate in India. Could you tell me how long it takes for the consulate to generate packet3 after this. After reading the discussion I am REALLY NOT EXCITED about the approval.

I don't know what to do at this point. Could you please guide me. Any experienced person in this pl. help me.

I also want to know How long it takes for the notification (technically) to reach chennai consulate. (is it in hours , minutes, months , years (who knows)?).

Thanks
GCard

People please help me....

Hello,
I have been looking for this answering calling IRS several time. They cannot answer? I know you guys know better. This is a tax question.

My condition is also like you guys. I am here working and I485 pending. My wife is living in Canada (Canada, she is not canadian residents, she is student in Canada). She has never been in USA.
I will start her follow to join once I get approved.

Now my question is:

1) in W4 Tax form Can I declare myself as married? On this form in number three, it says "if married and spouce is non resident allien, check SINGLE." This is the place I am confused. My wife is considered to be non resident alien according to IRS rules. Now, why should I check SINGLE whereas I am married and supporting her? People what do you guys do? Please tell me about you guys.
IRS people once told me that I could check married. However, the form said opposite.

2) Is it possible to obtain ITIN number even though my wife is never been in the USA. Some people told me that your wife has to be here in US at least once. Is this the requirement. Please tell me what you guys did?

3) How many allowances should I put in number 5 of W4 form. I support myself and my wife, should I put 2.

I am confused about all of them, and cutting my tax as SINGLE and loosing money may be.

Please help me if you guys went thru that? Tell me what you did.
You can send me an email at

halakah_reminder@hotmail.com

married / single status for FTJ case in IRS forms.

I declared myself as married and as my wife is not living with me, I wrote her name and left blank in SSN column (wrote not available) as she is still in India. I also did not claim any extra deductions in the W4. Surprisingly I got a check back from IRS stating extra deduction for my wife and on the joint name. They have been doing all the corrospondance on the joint name from that date. I hope this helps.

Thanks for your info.

I talked to IRS clearly. They also told me that yes you can put yourself as married. And you can apply for her ITIN number whereas she does not have SSN. I asked them how can I obtain ITIN for her? They told me all you need is " Her ID: passport, Relation: Marriage Certificate" He made clear that she does not have to be here even for single time to obtain that..

Therfore I would ask you obtain a ITIN number for her next time. Hopefully you dont need it, she will be here by this time, I guess:)

Case# Created

Hello All

My case# has been created in chennai.:) :) :D :D Spoke to customer service people. Told my wife's first name they completed her last name meaning that her notification has been received from INS. Here is my time line

I824 RD 06/20/2002
I824 AD 02/11/2003
Case# Created on 02/15/2003

In my view once I824 is approved they create the Case# immediately.

Best of luck to everyone.

Thanks
GC

Status
Not open for further replies.