Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
email from Chennai

It seems like they are responding now, hope thats a great sign. Even I got an email from Chennai asking to "Check back after 20 days" not knowign what that means similar to what, my friend "tooldtoWait" got.
Keep us posted grams2

Pray for the best
Paul

FTJ - mumbai consulate

Hi,

I will soon be applying for my wife's GC through FTJ at the Mumbai Consulate.
I would appreciate if someone could share their detailed experiences\advice, processing time taken, etc with the Mumbai consulate.

Thanks.

Pre-Mature Update on FTJ @ Mumbai Consulate

Hello All!

Its been a long while since I visited this site, but not much has changed since then! Here is an update on what's been going on, follow-to-join wise:

My lawyer put together a packet of documents, the main one being Form DS-230 Part I, along with the following documents:

Photocopy of I-485 Approval Notice
Photocopy of I-140 Approval Notice
Photocopy of I-824 Receipt from INS Nebraska
Department of State Form 2001
Photocopy of Marriage Certificate, showing marriage Date before I-485 Approval.

These were mailed to the consulate in Mumbai two weeks ago. My lawyer says that according to new rules sent by Dept. of State to the consulate/embassies around the world, they should create a Visa Number based on the I-824 Receipt.

I am yet to hear from the Mumbai Consulate, but as soon as I do, I shall post another update.

Looks like INS Nebraska is getting their act togther, a little. The I-824 approval time frame, that had jumped to an alarming 740+ days, is back to the 210-360 day time frame... Just a fall-back, in case consulates do not agree to create a visa number just based on I-824 reciept notice...

People told me that married life was going to be difficult. I just did not realize that the difficult part would be to get my wife to join me in the USA!! :) :)

Regards,

A very frustrated Carguy!!

Intro

I have been reading the posts on this thread for the past few days, and I wanted to introduce myself. I am in US, applied for 485 RD 10/30/02 ND 12/14/02 FD 5/17/02 EAC02054xxxxx. My 485 is suppossed to be come in soon. The lawyers say maybe even today, but I think maybe by next month.

I got married on Aug 29. I wanted to get my wife here on H4, but the stupid Mumbai consulate wanted her to change her name to married on the passport!! That is such a stupid rule!! Have any of you faced this??

Anyways, she is getting the name changed, but in the meanwhile I have applied for FTJ in VSC, because most probably my GC will be done before her name gets changed.

VSC receipt notice says that it will take 60 to 90 days for 824 to be approved, but their priority date is Feb 2002!!! That means it may take them 9 months!! and another month or 2(or more) for Mumbai Consulate to process her 824 to come here!! We are just hoping that this gets done as quickly as possible. I never knew this was going to be so stressful!! :(

I got really interested when I read on this thread that the consulate can process 824 directly, before it is approved. Carguy, I am really interested in your case, because I will be sending the 824 forms to Mumbai consulate too. Please keep posting about your experiences

Jayesh

H4 - spouse's name change

Hi jlalwani,

You mean to say the marriage photos and other proof is not enough ? Wife HAS to get her name changed on the passport to
get her H4 ?
I heard previously that was not the case.
I am considering having a new H1 and H4 and filing both through drop-box at the mumbai consulate.

Will the old name be a problem in that case ?
I was wondering if anyone could suggest a workaround as you know getting passport name changed might take a month.

Name Changes on Indian Passports

The Times of India ran a story on the American Consulates requiring name changes on the dependant's passport. According to the Times' story, only dependents applying for a dependant visa based on student or H visas had to get the name changed. The story did not mention anything about getting the name changed in FTJ cases.

I am worried that the American Consulate may stipulate the name change in the case of FTJ as well. That will complicate matters, I think, just because all the documentation submitted so far, has my wife's maiden name. Just a thougt... I am not sure if this will eventually be something to be worried about

Below is a cut and paste of the Times of India Story.

Regards,

Carguy
-------------------------------

New US visa rules delays NRIs to return with spouses

TIMES NEWS NETWORK [ SATURDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2002 12:37:03 AM ]

AHMEDABAD: NRI grooms flying down to marry Gujarati girls during this wedding season may be able to do 'chat mangni' and 'pat byah', but they may not be able to fly back with their spouses immediately.

A new rule introduced by the US visa authorities demands that the spouse of the newly wedded NRI should posses a passport sharing the same surname that the visa holder has.

Nilambari Sheth, head of the city's US Visa Application Centre says, "This new rule requires the spouse of the visa H1 or L1 holder to have a passport with changed name. If the applicant does not hold a passport with the changed surname, they cannot apply for the spouse dependent visa."

She adds that the US Visa Facilitation Services (VFS) centre in the city gets a large number of applications for spouse dependent visas during the NRI wedding season from October to January.

From October 2001 to September 2002, the US Consulate Mumbai, the busiest centre in the South Asia issued 5,661 H4 non-immigrant spouse dependent visas.

With the new rule, applicants for H4 and L2 spouse-dependent visa will have to obtain a passport with their new surname. If a boy gets married to an NRI girl then, he will to have a new passport indicating her name as his spouse.

Ripam Patel, a mailman from Chicago who is in Ahmedabad for the past seven weeks looking for his right match, is all set to fly back with a ticket already booked for November 14 for his would-be spouse. With this new rule, many like Patel will have to either cancel their tickets or at least postpone till their spouse receives a new passport.

"During this season, many a such applicants will have to wait for their spouses' new passport before applying for visas. The couples wanting to fly back together must apply for a new passport first," Sheth adds.

Many may think that with 'tatkal' passport facilities available, new passport will be available within a week. However, Regional Passport Officer (RPO) is planning to do away with 'tatkal sewa' for passport renewal category, in which police verification certificate is not required.

B B Swain, Regional Passport Officer (RPO), says "We are working on decreasing the processing time to 20 days from this month for renewing passports that do not require police verification certificate. We have concentrated on this segment of applications which do not require police clearance certificate and are planning to reduce the processing time. And when renewed passport can be issued within 20 days, there is no need to offer 'tatkal' facility for that category."

Re-issuing passports before they are about to expire can be done, as noted in passport application information booklet, in case of change in residence, surname, name. Ahmedabad RPO last year received 3,000 such application and this year from January to August it has received 2,500 such applications.

However, with this rule, RPO will have to gear up to handle a rush of surname-change passport applications. So, till then it is a patient waiting period for newly weds.

B4- Visa for the spouse (FTJ)

Hello All

I have applied for I-824 for my wife. In the mean time I am thinking of bringing her in Visitor visa. Will it any way affect the FTJ Process. Please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks
GCARD

Last edited by a moderator:
gcard

FTJ is for her who is staying outside the US. If she comes US of B4 visa, make sure that you mention that her spouse is here, otherwise it might cause some problem later. If she comes and go back, still she would be eligible for FTJ.

B4 along with FTJ

Gcard,

I have applied 824 for my wife, and I had asked my lawyer about having a visistor visa in the meantime. She advised me not to go for it, because a B4 is a nonimmigrant visa, and INS may reject her 824 application because having an intent to immigrate when you apply for an nonimmigrant visa is considered fraud. Please consulat an immigration lawyer

Sahin, do you know of anyone who has come here on B4 while an 824 application pending? If you do then please let me know because I would like to explore that avenue

Jayesh

jlalwani

I dont know anaybody like that. However, if you mention everyhting to consular , and also mention that she has intent to be immigrant as the way her spouse is in USA as a GC holder, yet she wants to travel on B4 visa for short visit. There is nothing to be fraud. Because she has mentioned everything. But, I think in this your spouse wont get visa most likely. If she does thats her good luck.

I think while applying for visitor visa, if spouse mentions to the consular officer that she have applied for 824 or you intend to apply for 824, the officer will reject her visitor visa application. Even if the visitor visa doesnt get rejected, the 824 might be in jeopardy

alpha & beta consulates

hi all,
lots of changes in cons. processing, so i subsume NVC has a role in consular processing cases of the follow to join cases.
read the following
dharmarao

IMMIGRATION ALERT
If you have any questions about this announcement, please contact Nancy

Sharp at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, P.C. (212-891-7510)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---------
April 9, 2002
Department of State Designates New "Alpha" Posts for Immigrant Visa

Processing

On April 5, 2002, the State Department announced that, effective May 1,

2002, several consular posts located in Asia, Australia, the Near East

and South America will be added to the list of "alpha" posts for

consular processing of immigrant visas. Alpha posts are those for which

the State Department's National Visa Center (NVC) undertakes

prescreening of immigrant visa applications. With this latest

announcement, the State Department continues the trend towards greater

involvement of the NVC in immigrant visa processing generally.

Background

In the past, processing of immigrant visa applications was undertaken

by the consular posts directly, with consulate staff reviewing

applications and supporting documentation, collecting fees, and

scheduling and conducting applicant interviews. With the establishment

of the National Visa Center in 1994, the State Department began to

transfer administrative functions pertaining to immigrant visa

applications to the NVC, thus relieving consulates of some of the

burdens of visa processing. In September 2000, the State Department

designated ten consular posts - called "alpha" posts - to participate

in a pilot program that assigned immigrant visa fee processing and

application prescreening to the NVC. Since that time, the State

Department has repeatedly expanded the list of consulates adhering to

alpha procedures. To date, some 40 consulates are designated as alpha

posts and participate in some form of prescreening by the NVC. The

remaining consulates are designated as "beta" consular posts, for which

the NVC has minimal participation in immigrant visa processing.

Currently, there are two levels of alpha prescreening, depending upon

the consular post at which the applicant will undergo processing. At

standard alpha posts, the NVC distributes the basic immigrant visa

application forms in the Instruction Package for Immigrant Visa

Applicants (formerly known as "Packet III"). The Center collects and

reviews the completed immigrant visa application form (Form DS-230) and

the affidavit of support (Form I-864) for completeness, and also

collects and processes the relevant application fees. Once the NVC has

determined that the forms are complete and the fees have been paid, the

applicant's case is forwarded to the consular post, where it is

reviewed in depth. The consular post is responsible for scheduling an

immigrant visa interview and sending the applicant the remaining

application materials, contained in the Appointment Package for

Immigrant Visa Applicants (formerly known as "Packet IV"). The

applicant brings his or her original supporting documentation - such as

birth certificates, marriage certificates, and the like - to the

interview. This procedure is currently in place in Bogota, Colombia;

Chennai, India; Ciudad Juarez, Mexico; Georgetown, Guyana; Guangzhou,

China; Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; Manila, Philippines; Mumbai, India;

New Delhi, India; Port au Prince, Haiti; and Santo Domingo, Dominican

Republic.

For the remaining alpha posts, the NVC performs a larger role in the

review of immigrant visa cases. After the NVC has forwarded the

Instruction Package, the applicant or attorney completes all forms and

collects supporting documentation. The fees, forms and original

documents are sent to the NVC, which reviews the submission to make

sure that the correct documents have been provided. If the NVC

determines that the applicant is "documentarily qualified" - i.e., the

applicant possesses all of the required supporting documentation - the

NVC obtains a visa allocation number, schedules an immigrant visa

appointment, and mails the Appointment Package. The NVC then forwards

the applicant's file to the consular post. The applicant appears for

the interview, where his or her original documentation is returned.

This procedure is in place at the following alpha posts: Abidjan, Cote

d'Ivoire; Accra, Ghana; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Algiers, Algeria;

Antananarivo, Madagascar; Cairo, Eqypt; Casablanca, Morocco; Cotonou,

Benin; Dakar, Senegal; Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania; Djibouti, Djibouti;

Freetown, Sierra Leone; Harare, Zimbabwe; Johannesburg, South Africa;

Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo; Lagos, Nigeria; Libreville,

Gabon; Lilongwe, Malawi; Lome, Togo; Lusaka, Zambia; Monrovia, Liberia;

Montreal, Canada; Nairobi, Kenya; Niamey, Niger; Ouagadougou, Burkina

Faso; Praia, Cape Verde Islands; Tirana, Albania; Tunis, Tunisia; and

Yaounde, Cameroon.

At "beta" posts (comprising all consulates other than alpha posts), the

NVC simply sends the Instruction Package to the applicant or agent,

instructing him or her to forward the completed forms directly to the

consular post for processing. The consulate takes responsibility for

all ensuing phases of the application process, including document

review, interview scheduling and fee collection.

The New Alpha Posts

Effective May 1, 2002, the following consulates have been designated as

alpha posts: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates; Ankara, Turkey; Amman,

Jordan; Asmara, Eritrea; Auckland, New Zealand; Caracas, Venezuela;

Colombo, Sri Lanka; Damascus, Syria; Dhaka, Bangladesh; Doha, Qatar;

Hong Kong; Islamabad, Pakistan; Jakarta, Indonesia; Jerusalem;

Kathmandu, Nepal; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; Kuwait, Kuwait; Manama,

Bahrain; Montevideo, Uruguay; Muscat, Oman; Naha, Japan; Nicosia,

Cyprus; Perth, Australia; Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea; Rangoon,

Burma; Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; Sanaa, Yemen; Seoul, Korea; Singapore,

Singapore; Suva, Fiji; Sydney, Australia; Taipei, Taiwan; Tel Aviv,

Israel; Tokyo, Japan; Valletta, Malta; and Vientiane, Laos.

It has not yet been determined whether these posts will follow the

standard alpha procedures or will subscribe to the NVC's enhanced

screening and appointment services.

If you have any questions regarding this alert, please do not hesitate

to contact Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, P.C.

We will provide any additional information on implementation of these

measures as soon as it is available. In the meantime, if you have any

questions about the provisions discussed above, please do not hesitate

to contact Nancy Sharp at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy.

Pl. need some advice

I have applied for I 485 and might get approved in another couple of months (RD is Feb 2002), my husband was on J1 visa and has gone back to india to fulfil the condition of 2 yrs in India. I want to bring him later on Follow-To-Join. What can I do at this point to make him come to US faster? Can I apply for his Follow To Join now itself or after my green card is approved? I really don't understand this package system and my lawyer will not tell anything about it unless I hire her for my husband too with extra cash.

What can I do at this stage to make Follow to join case get faster later? Thanks for the advice, you guys seem to be veteran in such case.

Re: Pl. need some advice

Originally posted by 485GCCase
I have applied for I 485 and might get approved in another couple of months (RD is Feb 2002), my husband was on J1 visa and has gone back to india to fulfil the condition of 2 yrs in India. I want to bring him later on Follow-To-Join. What can I do at this point to make him come to US faster? Can I apply for his Follow To Join now itself or after my green card is approved? I really don't understand this package system and my lawyer will not tell anything about it unless I hire her for my husband too with extra cash.

What can I do at this stage to make Follow to join case get faster later? Thanks for the advice, you guys seem to be veteran in such case.

If you consider the time that we are wasting for follow-to-join, then maybe you can call us veterans!. Anyways, which consulate does your hubby plan to apply?

At this point, I can suggest 2 things, Ask your lawyer to apply for I-824. you can do this before your I-485 is approved. The second one being, send an e-mail to your consulate and ask them what are the procedures to start a follow-to-join for your spouse, seems every consulate is different. I am waiting for the following-to-join to bring my wife from chennai consulate.

485GCcase,

I apologize if I am asking a stupid question because of my limited knowledge regarding the J1 visa. I am assuming that you are here on an H1 or F1. Is there something preventing your husband from getting a dependent spouse visa (like H4)? If he can come here on a dependent visa, you can apply 485 for him immediately. You can also apply EAD and AP which takes a couple of months. So, even if your 485 is approved, he can stay here and work on the EAD and travel on AP until his 485 is approved.

FTJ takes atleast a year nowdays, although you can apply the 824 before your 485 is approved. If you can get here on a dependent visa now, then he will should get an EAD by Jan. I would suggest that you should try avoiding FTJ. Your RD is Feb 2002 right, and VSC is taking more than a year to process 485.

HTH
Jay

Thanks guys,

jlalwani J1 guys cannot change their status until they finish 2 years in home country.

Thanks tooOldtowait for the info, the consulate is in New Delhi, how do I get the email address and also would they respond to it?

Thanks again, tooOldtowait could you pl. tell me what is the list of documents required to call the spouse.

485GCCase,

Do you mean J1 guys cannot apply for any non-immigrant visa for 2 years?? Are you sure? That is such a stupid rule!! Sometimes, it is too difficult to find logic in INS rules.

Is this rule restricted to non-immigrant visa, or is it also applicable to immigrant visa. FTJ is an application for immigrant visa, so I dont know whther the 2 year bar will be applicable to immigrant visas or not

Jayesh

J1 visa guys need a waiver job ( on H1 visa) or they need to spend 2 yrs in come country to try for green card.

Can someone pl give me the email id of new delhi consulate and the list of documents needed?

Thanks

Originally posted by 485GCCase
Thanks guys,

jlalwani J1 guys cannot change their status until they finish 2 years in home country.

Thanks tooOldtowait for the info, the consulate is in New Delhi, how do I get the email address and also would they respond to it?

Thanks again, tooOldtowait could you pl. tell me what is the list of documents required to call the spouse.

The E-mail id of New Delhi is ndiv@state.gov

I have no Idea if they will respond or not, you can try, Chennai is great in responding to general inquiries, I would assume that ND should be better than that. I can only give you the list of docs required by chennai, its better to check with New Delhi before you start acting on it, as theirs may be different. Also I know that Delhi is much better than chennai as they dont wait for I-824 approval, they are ready to start follow-to-join with I-824 receipt notice itself. Here are the docs that Chennai asked me to send:

(Please send all these documents only after you become a Legal Permanent
Resident of U.S)

For following to join cases, we need confirmation of principal applicant's
Legal Permanent Resident Status (LPR) from the Immigration and
Naturalization Service (INS). Please send the following notarized documents
to our office.

Approval Notice (Form I-797)
Entire Passport pages
Green Card (Both sides)
Marriage Certificate
Applicant's Birth Certificate
Local address.