Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
your help would be appreciated!

:) guys!
I was expecting couple of replies in my case. but i didnot get any.
Whatever anybody got approval on I-824 (action on approved petetion) case? Please provide include RD and ND. Thanks.

:rolleyes:

Follow- to- join

To any of the senior members,

Please suggest me the ways..

I filed AOS in Feb2002. completed FP in June2002 and now going for to work on EAD. I am finishing my (H1B) 6yrs in September 2002. I am getting married next month as I have no way of extending the H1B for 7th year. thinking of "follow-to-join"(FTJ) process for my spouse ...

Please do send me the details for -How to go for FTJ

Apprecaite your speedy solutions

Thank you

Hi guys...

I applied for a I-824 for a FTJ on March13 2002 at the Nebraska center. The date at Nebraska Service center has not changed for the past 4 months from Dec. 17th 2002. However, this month it changed to July 2000!!! How rediculous!! I have almost given up hope that it is going to get approved anytime soon.

However, when I call the automated number for Nebraska center, and punch in my LIN, they say the current waiting period is 200-220 days. Next month will be 200 days for me...I am wondering how much longer I have to wait here given the current confusion about July 2000.

I sent my packet III to chennai in May, but haven't heard from them at all. My lawyer asks me to be patient and wait for 4 months...but I am wondering if I will hear from them at all. What is the point of FTJ if it is going to take as long as the normal immigration process??

Has anyone had success contacting chennai? I am at a loss here since they never replied to my email or my lawyer's emails. Has anyone called them?

thanks,
-motorhead

applying for I-130

I would like to file the I-130 for my wife. I am thinking as to whether I can do it on my own or whether it is better to go through a lawyer. Any experiences on this. It would be great if somebody could let me know if they have had experience on filing a petition personally as opposed to through a lawyer. Thanks.

This is getting ridiculous

Hello guys,

I filed my I-824 at the Nebraska Service Center in Jan 2002. Today, I called the automoated voice system to see what progress had been made on this case, but what I heard amazed me:

It is taking between 720 and 750 days to proces this type of application??!!??? :eek:

I thought I had mis-heard, and called gain, but, to my dismay, the message was correct!

Anybody know what is going on with I-824 applications? If it will indeed take 2+ years to get this approved, and then God-alone_knows how long for the NVC and the consulate in Mumbai to get their act together, is there an alternative way to bring one's spouse over here faster?

Unable to sleep after hearing the message,

CarGuy

One more Question...

As a follow up to my previous message, I have one more question, of those who have been through this follow-to-join process:

Assuming that there is a mistake in the automated voice system, and the I-824 does come through in a timely manner (Stop laughing!!!!), does it help to download packet 3 forms, and have them ready to go, or already submitted to the consulate? The consulate in my case, will be the one at Mumbai.

I have read through this entire thread, and it seems there is conflicting info. about whether it is best to wait for the consulate to send out the packet 3 forms, or is it better to have them submitted at the consulate, even before the I-824 is approved.

Shedding of any light on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CarGuy

Hello All,

Spoke to an IIO at the NSC today. First she said that they were processing I-824 applications from May 2000. A minute later she said, that, "oh, her mistake", but they are now processing I-824 applications from January 2002.

The automated voice reply system still says it takes 720 to 750 days for this kind of application to be processed.

She could not say anything about the discrepencay on the dates on her computer and those on the automated voice mail system, excpet that the voice mail system dates were just an estimate, and should be taken in that light, not as the gospel. She could not say why the estimate changed from 250 days to approx 750 days.

I think I will go get a beer and try to forget that an agency like the INS exists.

CarGuy

I-824 Interesting facts...Please read.

I went through the chat sessions of Attorney Sheela Murthy and found some interesting facts. Following are the excerpts:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chat User : I didn't receive approved I-589 due to a postal mistake. I applied I-824 and received the receipt. I'm waiting for the approved I-824. Is it safe to travel outside the U.S.?

Attorney Murthy : Most consulates do not require the approved I-824 to issue the immigrant visa interview date. If it is the Chennai Consulate then the original approval notice is required for them to generally issue the IV date.

Chat User : Hello, Ms. Murthy. Thanks for the great service. Our I-140 petition was applied for Consular process, but INS has approved it for Adjustment of Status. Have you come across such cases?

Attorney Murthy : It is quite common for the INS to mix up CP and AOS. It does not make a huge difference since most Consulates around the world will accept a case for CP based on the I-824 receipt notice and a copy of the I-140 package with original I-140 approval notice. Recently, our office, The Murthy Firm, was successful in having the Chennai Consulate approve the CP based on the I-824 notice. So, all Consulates in India should now allow it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Considering these facts, it is clear that consulates will consider I-824 Receipt Notice. I have spoken to my attorney about this and have asked them to send the I-824 receipt notice, copy of my green card, copy of wife's passport. My attorney have agreed to fax in the attorney certified docs to the consulate to request for packet 3.

Hope this info helps.

confusion!

Follow-to-join

I got confused regarding this I-824. I applied 6 months ago in Virmont and waiting for approval. now you guys are telling that we don't need any approval. my consulate is Katmandu. anybody can sugget me regarding this process.

thanks a lot in advance.

FYI...

Please read more excerpts and understand that sometime ago the procedures were changed although nobody seems to bother telling us when. I think you should not wait any longer and use your I824 receipt notice to get your wife registered at the US Consulate in Kathmendu.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question : Generally, how long does the follow-to-join process take?
Answer : Usually, about 5 to 12 months, since the I-824 needs to be approved, unless the consulate is willing to process the case based on the I-824 receipt notice and the time for the consulate to schedule the Immigrant visa interview based on their backlogs.
Date : 2001-12-10

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question : How long is I-824 processing at VSC right now? If I choose CP (Chennai) now how much time does it take for interview?
Answer : I-824 could take between 4 to 9 months, depending on the INS Svc Center. As mentioned before, from our office we have written to Steve Fischel at U.S. Dept of State and he has verbally agreed with me to change their policy and compel the Chennai consulate to change its position to be consistent with DOS" Sept. 2000 Cable on receipt notice acceptance. It should work soon. But if CP is chosen at the time of filing I-140, and the I-140 approval notice says the case has been sent to NVC, then no I-824 would be needed.
Date : 2001-10-15

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question : How long will it take to get packet 3 after I-824 approval?
Answer : Unless you are subject to the Chennai consulate, it is better not to wait for the I-824 to get approved. There is a procedure with the I-824 receipt and other documents being sent directly to the consulate. We expect the U.S. Dept of State to require Chennai to change its procedure and follow the rule of other consulates in India and elsewhere on this issue. I sent the letter to them and spoke to someone at the Dept of State who has agreed to resolve this problem. Most times, you do not need to wait for Packet 3 and can get it from the consulate website directly too. Otherwise, it is about 3 months.
Date : 2001-09-24

MK 2001, I am still confused about filing for an interview date before the I-824 is approved.

Suppose I do get an interview date for my wife's green card (this is at the Mumbai consulate) based on the I-824 receipt notice, and let's say that the iterview is 3 months hence.

Will they give her the immigrant visa right there and then? We do not have to wait for the I-824 at all? How does the NVC fit into this scheme, in that case? Isn't the approval of the I-824 the trigger for NVC to issue a visa number, which in turn allows the consulate to assign a visa to my wife?

Thank you,

CarGuy

Carguy,

You don't have to wait for I-824 approval notice if your consulate accepts receipt notice. They will not ask you. My point is, you find out from your hometown US Consulate if they will send out packet 3 to beneficiary if you send them I-824 receipt notice. How you get them to listen to your request is up to you. Fax, email them or ask your spouse to go to the consulate with a request. It's your call. The documents required for them to listen to your request can be found in the links below. Most important, they want to see that the petitioner got his/her green card.

If they do accept, then they will create the case for your spouse and not wait for NVC to create it therefore saving your time. Remember, FTJ can be initiated from both USA (thru NVC) or US Consulates abroad.

Please read the procedures:

http://travel.state.gov/state180792.html

http://foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09fam/0942042PN.pdf

http://foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09fam/0942053PN.pdf

MK2001,

Thank you for your help. I shall contact the Mumbai consulate, and post the outcome here, in the hope that it benefits others in the same boat.

Cheers,

CarGuy

Carguy,
I'm in the same situation as you. Mumbai for me too, keep us posted. This whole things a nightmare.

Any I-824 Approval?

Any body got approval of I-824 (action on approved petition) recently from VSC. waiting for six and half months.

thanks.:eek:

Follow to join -Info needed Urgent

I filed my I-485 and my H1 expires by Nov 2003 and waiting for I 485 approval .
I haven't applied EAD and advanced parole. I am in overseas(india) and got married.unfortunately I can't
bring my wife along with me . but she is going to get H4 visa stamping in few
days .I am returning to U.S by before my wife comes

1.what if my I-485 is approved while I am in US before my wife comes to US?
can she enters with her new H4 visa if I don't go for I-485 stamping ?
will the H4 valid because I haven't got stamped ? can she process her
follow to join after she enters into us?

2. If the H4 is invalid because of mY I 485 approval what is the
procedure for her to apply for follow to join at the overseas consulate(chennai-India)?
and How long will take ? please note My marriage took place before my I485 approval !!

3. can I come from US to bring my wife ?
if I dont get I-485 approval stamping in my passport what is my status as per my passport?
can INS consider my H1 as valid ?

Re: Indian Guy, Dharma Rao Thanks! ..and one clarification needed...

Originally posted by kobayashi
Dharma Rao, Indian Guy-

Is it possible then that I go to India, get married and come back w/ wife on H-4.. and then find out I-485 was approved while I was in India (regardless of before or after marriage), but I can still apply for FTJ for wife because wife is now in US?

Also, if i get approved and go for spouse\'s H-4, will they stop me from doing that at the consulate if they find out I was approved a week or two before or while I was in India(I won\'t have I-551 stamp though)?

Finally, is approval the approval notice of I-485 or the I-551 stamp? if the stamp is what matters, then I can possibly not get my stamp before going to India (even if i\'m approved) and only go for stamp on passport after I come back.

Thoughts, comments are hugely appreciated!! Thanks!!!!!

Hi ,

I am also in the same boat as you were

I am in India and got married and my wife will go for H4 stamping next week. My I 485 application is pending to be approved at any time.My wife is not coming with me to USA immediately .while I am in USA if my 485 is approved can she use her H4 to come to US.will the H4 be valid after my approval assuming I am not going for 485 stamping in US

Please help me how you handled the situation!!

Thanks a lot ,
Ht.

Any info for Guanzhou interview?

Has any one got interview notification or simple interviewed recently from GuangZhou, China? My wife sent out pk3 in Feb. 2002 but got no response since. Every time we emailed them, we got "still in process". Wonder how long it will take to get an interview. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Hong

Hello Guys/Girls>>help and share

This is an awesome thread. Looks like dead for a while though.
I think I have to follow the same route. You know why?? Please read and respond if you can:

I am now on H1B and never had H1b VISA stamp as the way I am converted from F1 to H1. My I-140 and I-485 has been filed concurrently at Nebraska Service Center today. I did not get married yet, but have been trying for six months. For my country (Bangaldesh) nationals Consulate is taking 6-8 weeks to issue visa, even more. I can not take that much vacation. Now I do not know what to do? My future wife is in back home now.
I know I have cople of limited options:

1) If she can come somehow (F1, B1) to US/Canada/Mexico then we can get married, then she could apply for H4 herself from back home.

2) I can travel with my advanced payrol and apply for H1/H4 after getting married, if they delay beyond my vacation which is the potential, i would come using advanced payrol. I will do Follow-to-join for my spouse once I get my GC. which is not good idea but I dont have choice.

Now my question is:

1) Is other any other way, you could think of?? I can not really wait after december which is the deadline to get married set by her.
2) My lawer give me a fuzzy feelings that once you take the advanced payrol, you are not supposed to apply for H1. The people who already have H1 visa valid, they can travel with that even though they take advanced payrol?? Is this correct. Isn't this ok to apply for H1B1 after taking Advanced payrol. I mean the situation like this:

I will take the AP as a back up and travel back home on december and will apply for H1B1 visa. Can they deny me because I have advanced payrol ? My lawer says they will figure out that you have advanced payrol yet you are here for H1B visa what they wont issue.

You all know why I am struggling to bring her as H4 I can add her for AOS right after she comes here, however, not finding a way. Please help, if you can. Any type of suggestions will be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.