Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Requirements for follow-to-join

Hello Folks,

Can anyone please tell me all the things which needs to be done for the follow to join. The marriage was done before the appproval of the green card. But the spouse\'s name was not included in any green card stage, also nowhere in the green card stage, have I mentioned that I was married. Will the marriage certificate from the church be enough for the follow to join. Or do I need to get any affidavits. The marriage was never registered in any court ..Please advice.

Regards,
IloveGC

No Title

The only requirement of follow-to-join is that you need to get marry before your gc is approved. You don\'t need to mention the marriage during the whole gc process.

For your marriage cert., I think it will be better for you to send an email to US consulor of your own country or dept. of state, they will reply your question. The whole follow-to-join is processed by them, they should know the answer. But in my own guess, I think it is ok. Anyway, ask them to make a sure.

Good Luck.

to newboy

Hi,

I dont think there is a case where packet 3 is sent to the petitioner of I824. packet 3 is sent to your spouse in by the consulate to the address that you have mentioned in 824 application.

Sure the sooner you file your packet 3 with consulate the sooner she is going to get the interview, the sooner she will be here. But to generate packet3 they need to generate case number based on your 824 application.

The other think that you might wanna start thinking from now on is to make arrangements for the police clearance certificate from the passport and also from the local police station.

FTJ is fairly simple process and it works, so stop worrying and enjoy the precious little time that you have as a married bachelor.

Cool-guy

To cool-guy

What did the consulor ask your wife(your wife applied follow-to-join visa) during interview?

Thanks

to chan50737

Hi,

It\'s my understanding that my wife submitted all the papers in the order in which they have mentioned in the Packet 4. Then they asked where did I get my GC, where she will be staying in US. And that was the end. The consular asked here to sign the DS230 part II and collected the checks for fees.

Cool-guy

Please Help.

My I824 for my husband was approved on April 23 2002. However when I contacted Chennai consulate, they told me that they have no cable notification.

Whom should I contact for cable notification? My attorney is not returning my calls and Iam lost.
I want my husband to be in US at the earliest..
I appreciate all your responses.

Regards
GRAMS

To Grams

Hi Grams,

sorry to hear that. I was exactly in the same situation where chennai consulate did not receive the cable. Think some thing is wrong with the systems over there. Call INS service center and ask them to recable the message. Some times they do it within days based on where your file is located. Also talk to state department visa unit and they can start an enquiry with chennai consulate and find out what happened and how they missed the cable. Grams my guess you must on top of this issue now, if you dont do it chennai will never get the cable. But if you pitch and start moving your cards they will respond.

Good luck

Cool-guy

No Title

Sorry for not being here for long.

I speculate that the spouse can file her own I-485 using husband\'s I-140, if they married before husband\'s I-485 is approved.

The other option will be to file I-824, and spouse goes back to the home country for consular processing. She needs not wait as the visa is avaialble for her.

To Coolguy

Hi Coolguy

Do I need to stick with my company till my wife Gets GC thru follow-to-join. My company is pushing me to relocate which i dont want to do at this point. Can you tell me whether the Consulate asked your Employment letter and verified the employer name

Thanks

To Coolguy

Hi Coolguy
Do I need to stick with my company till my wife Gets GC thru follow-to-join. My company is pushing me to relocate which i dont want to do at this point. Can you tell me whether the Consulate asked your Employment letter and verified the employer name. I have got one month pay-stub since I got my GC.

Thanks

packet III/IV mailing in India, how?

Hi guys,

Thanks for keeping this thread going. I had been lost out on the "CP" thread till recently till I found "coolguy"\'s post out there.

Does anyone know/remember what postal service the Chennai consulate uses to send packet III/IV papers to an address in India? Is it normal mail, registered post, some courier service like DHL? I would very much appreciate any info about this..

thanks,
pv

to motorhead

I think they will send all communication including packet 3 and packet 4 in regular local mail. Its not even registered. Atleast that was my case.

Cool-guy

To Cool Head and others.. Please help.

I called CSC and asked them about the cable to chennai. The IIO told me that there is nothing on the case that tells them to send to cable to Chennai.
Further more in my I-824 application, all I mentioned is my husband\'s name and Chennai Consulate. There was no place to mention his address.
In that how will the Chennai Consulate know where to send the PCKIII.

I am very frustrated..
I am awaiting to join my husband..

Any info is greatly appreciated

Regards
GRAMS

To Grams and others

I guess by this time, you would have come to know about the procedures. Wish someone told me, that would have saved a couple of months of my time.

To start a follow to join process in Chennai, this is what you need to do:

Send the copies of the following docs:

Approval Notice (Form I-797)
Entire Passport pages
Green Card (Both sides)
Marriage Certificate
Applicant's Birth Certificate
Local address.

Now, I have no clue how you can send Green Card (forget both sides), I am guessing that they will accept I-551 Stamp from passport.

After they receive this, they will send packet 3 to the local address.

This is what I have done for my wife (the Chennai counsulate asked me to do this).

Hope this helps.

Am I the only one waiting for follow-to-join?

Seems like this thread is inactive for a while.

If someone is reading this, and if you know the following, can you answer me?

Chennai sent me an e-mail saying that they want so many docs(see the above postings) to start a follow-to-join case and the first one says

Approval notice (I-797)

Does this mean approval notice for I-485 or I-824? I called chennai consulate and they were clueless. All they say is we need INS to tell us that your case is approved. Now this makes me assume that they are looking for I-824 approval, but in the e-mail that they sent me, they are saying that

Please send the following docs:

We will check with the INS if your status is a LPR and then we will send Packet 3 to your local address.

If they are going to check it themselves why do they need I-824?

TIA

Also waiting for I-824 Approval for spouse...

But I'm not from India so I can't help you much about your consulate request.

By the way, I don't see any reason why the consulate would want your I-485 approval notice. Didn't you submit it to get your passport stamped? More obviously, if they are asking for a copy of plastic GC then certainly I-485 approval doesn't matter.

I did ask my attorney about such process for my I-824 case and the reply was that the consulate would like to see a copy of I-824 Approval notice (which is I-797 Notice of Approval).

The approval only means that INS will or have sent out a cable to NVC to create a case for your follow to join application although NVC will not keep any related document with them becasue it's a FTJ case. If the case is not yet created in NVC then the consulate can request NVC to create for your FTJ application only if they see an approval notice of your I-824 application. The question that I see most often on this chat board is that when you apply for I-824 you do not have space on form to write the local address of beneficiary. Well, you can always attach a supplement letter with I-824 form indicating the local address or anything else you want to mention there is no specific format. You can even indicate that you want packet 3 sent to your address here in the USA as my attorney have done so and NVC will mail that to my attorney.

About the NVC role. NVC is like a transit area for applications going to US Consulates around the world. Since, FTJ priority is always current NVC has no role except to create a FTJ case for consulates and send out packet 3 if you request for it in USA otherwise it goes to local address from consulate.

Hope this information helps guys who are waiting for approval.

Thanks a lot for your reply

So I guess I have to wait for my I-824 approval. I guess NSC is prcessing dec-2001 now and I applied in June-2002. Another 6 months to go! Geez!

Looks like this is going to be even more torture than my I-485.

Many a times I think I should leave this POS and go back to my home in India.
:mad:

i am in almostsame boat.

I am also following up this follow-to-join cases. But I got married before all my process. I applied I-824 (action on approved petetion) on 18th Feb, 2002 in VSC after I got stamp. It has already been more than 5 months. I talke with IIO two months ago. She said, I will take one more month. But I am still waiting for approval. If, somebody can help me, it would be appreciated.
thanks

Send your I-485

You don't need to wait for your I-824 approval if your consular accepts attorney certified documents.
In fact, I think they are asked approval notice of your I-845, can be a copy one with AC and your I-551 (also a copy with AC). You can just send them the documents you have and to see if they will start to process your case, anyway, no harm.

Thanks Chan

Infact, I did sent notarized copy of all the documents that they asked (actually I also assumed that the approval notice meant I-485). Just that I was not sure, what will happen if they were expecting I-824 approval notice(will my papers go to the paper shredder?) I dont mind that as long as they say what they are going to do (either they are going to process it or destroy it).

Too much to expect from a govt office huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.