Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
srini_pvr said:
Can we include our wife as a dependent in our tax filing if she is on FTJ ? We were married in May last year and the case is ongoing since septemeber of last year ??

Regards
Srini
No You can file Married filing Jointly (look IRS pub. 519)or File as single status now and once she is here you can amend the return.

Hi

Hope someone can answer

My son's I824 was approved as a follow to join in Aug 2004 and cable sent to consulate (London) on that date

Neither myself or son has heard form London. Sent certified Letter to London in Jan 2005 (no reply as yet) to ask why we have not heard with copy of I824 approval and fathers I 485 approval

Apparently TSC says that once approved the dependant HAS to apply to the consulate for them to continue???????????

I have viewed the American Consulate site for London and cannot find any info on what dependant needs to do

Can anyone answer please?

Regards Sue

FTJ process is more or less same for all the countries.

You need to submit following papers to the nearest consulate to initiate the process for your son:

1) Immigrant visa forms (DS 230)
2) Passport
3) Proof of relationship with petitioner
4) Affidavit of support
5) Birth Certificate
6) Medical (after case # is created by consulate)
7) Police clearance from local body
8) Relevant fees & Photographs

I came to know from New Delhi US consulate that I-824 is not required for FTJ cases but it won't hurt to submit that along with other docs as you already have that approved.

susan ward said:
Hi

Hope someone can answer

My son's I824 was approved as a follow to join in Aug 2004 and cable sent to consulate (London) on that date

Neither myself or son has heard form London. Sent certified Letter to London in Jan 2005 (no reply as yet) to ask why we have not heard with copy of I824 approval and fathers I 485 approval

Apparently TSC says that once approved the dependant HAS to apply to the consulate for them to continue???????????

I have viewed the American Consulate site for London and cannot find any info on what dependant needs to do

Can anyone answer please?

Regards Sue

I don't think it is same for all the contries. The consular in Turkey refused to process my husband's application without approval notice of I-824, although we have sent the application notice of this form. I am still in the process of trying to convince them approval of I-824 is not required if I showed the envidence of my greencard. But my attorny said the chance of changing their mind is not high. I really think people from India are so lucky and they do not have to suffer with this long waiting of I-824 approval.

usnycus said:
FTJ process is more or less same for all the countries.

You need to submit following papers to the nearest consulate to initiate the process for your son:

1) Immigrant visa forms (DS 230)
2) Passport
3) Proof of relationship with petitioner
4) Affidavit of support
5) Birth Certificate
6) Medical (after case # is created by consulate)
7) Police clearance from local body
8) Relevant fees & Photographs

I came to know from New Delhi US consulate that I-824 is not required for FTJ cases but it won't hurt to submit that along with other docs as you already have that approved.

Check following doc.

http://foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09fam/0942053PN.pdf

Look under "9 FAM 42.53 PN1.2 When Post Record Does Not Exist". One can show green card and have consulate create case for FTJ. Above document is not from New Delhi consulate but issued by DOS and is applicable at all consulate.

yzhang1972 said:
I don't think it is same for all the contries. The consular in Turkey refused to process my husband's application without approval notice of I-824, although we have sent the application notice of this form. I am still in the process of trying to convince them approval of I-824 is not required if I showed the envidence of my greencard. But my attorny said the chance of changing their mind is not high. I really think people from India are so lucky and they do not have to suffer with this long waiting of I-824 approval.

I believe it is not supported from all consulate either. My wife is in Singapore. I applied I824 Sep last year, and my I485 approves in Oct. I wrote to Singapore consulate to see whether she can create a case there with the link provided (I didn't mention anything about I824). However, below is their reply:

Since you received your status through adjustment, approval must be given by USCIS for any overseas family members to join. In fact, information of any family overseas should be provided at the time of your adjustment with USCIS.

We have notice difference in way of working by different consulates during our H1-B visa days also. It's not strange that different consulates are following different procedure to evaluate/process immigrant petitions. We have also seen this pattern at various DOL centers as well as USCIS service centers. Many times agencies interpret law differently.

If I were in your place, I would write them again along with attach link/doc and explain that according to DOS it's not required to get I-824 to process FTJ cases.

ant said:
I believe it is not supported from all consulate either. My wife is in Singapore. I applied I824 Sep last year, and my I485 approves in Oct. I wrote to Singapore consulate to see whether she can create a case there with the link provided (I didn't mention anything about I824). However, below is their reply:

Since you received your status through adjustment, approval must be given by USCIS for any overseas family members to join. In fact, information of any family overseas should be provided at the time of your adjustment with USCIS.

Thanks to all the responses.
I have sent a fax message with the Note to the consulate in Turkey, although by myself. We are waiting to see the positive result. I will keep everyone here update.

usnycus said:
We have notice difference in way of working by different consulates during our H1-B visa days also. It's not strange that different consulates are following different procedure to evaluate/process immigrant petitions. We have also seen this pattern at various DOL centers as well as USCIS service centers. Many times agencies interpret law differently.

If I were in your place, I would write them again along with attach link/doc and explain that according to DOS it's not required to get I-824 to process FTJ cases.

I-824 name check?

I applied I-824 for my husband's FTJ. The last update on this case was April 22, 2004. Someone told me his case maybe in FBI for name check. Since he is a muslim and there is high possibility his name was hit, that is why his case is slow.
Can someone let me know if they do name check at this step based on I-824? I am very confused. I was suggested to send email to FBI and ask for the name check status. How can I do that since he does not have a case number yet. Should I use I-824 case number or my I-485 A number? Can someone provide a sample email I could follow? Thank you.

I-824 form does not have section for spouse. Only way USCIS can get information if you have attached letter with spouse details.

Anyway following numbers will help you to initiate FBI enquiry regarding name check/FP issues:

304-625-5590 or 304-625-2406

http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93231
yzhang1972 said:
I applied I-824 for my husband's FTJ. The last update on this case was April 22, 2004. Someone told me his case maybe in FBI for name check. Since he is a muslim and there is high possibility his name was hit, that is why his case is slow.
Can someone let me know if they do name check at this step based on I-824? I am very confused. I was suggested to send email to FBI and ask for the name check status. How can I do that since he does not have a case number yet. Should I use I-824 case number or my I-485 A number? Can someone provide a sample email I could follow? Thank you.

Also, Check following link:

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=136848

yzhang1972 said:

sukhish said:
usnycus :

Could you please give me any tips of what she could expect in the interview.
Sukhjinder

Learned from different threads the most common questions in interview are: plz ignore the no/sequence.

) Whats your husband doing?
2) Where are you going?
3) Whats your marriage date?
4) Whats your marriage day? (little tricky quesiton)

>>Later he sniffed(smelled) our marriage invitation to make sure it is not printed recently.

what's your spouse doing ?
where is he ?
when did u get married and where ?
Name of in laws and birthplace of ur spouse
how long ago you got married ?
why didn't you go to U.S after marriage ?

How many ppl were in ur marriage cermany?
Where was ur marriage cermany? what day?
What is ur spouse Field of work?
Do u know what company he works for?
Do u know how much he earns?
How does ur spouse contact u? did he/she sent letter or card to u ever?

In my understanding they usualy keep circle to ur marriage related question,
Its good idea to ask ur relative there to prepare her about all questions. so she won't confused. many quesitons are stupid but they do ask to double check.

Would u like to share with us what doc u sent? and plz keep us update ur progress so ppl can learn.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
"PrinceofJungle" pretty much covered all possible questions your wife may face during the interview.

She should be fine even she goes alone during interview as long as she is well prepared for the question listed by "PrinceofJungle".

Just make sure she got following papers/documents (also listed in packet-IV) along with her during interview:

- DS-230 Part-1 & II
- Affidavit of Support
- Copy of Alien Resident Card (Green Card)
- Copy of I-485 (Form I-797) Approval from USCIS
- Notarized copy of Passport (your) with I-551 stamp
- Passport
- Spouse Birth Certificate
- Marriage certificate
- Employment Letter
- Tax Transcript from IRS OR 1040
- W2 forms
- Pay-stubs
- Bank Statements
- Medical
- Photograph
- Police Clearance
- Fees

sukhish said:
I had sent the following documents :

1) I-485 approval notice copy notorized.
2) I-824 receipt notice copy notorized.
3) passport ( all pages ) notorized.
4) Her birth certificate copy .( She got this also recently just before we applied for FTJ)
5) Letter indicating her address in INDIA.

they created the case number a week after they received these documents.
actually you don't even need to file I-824 I guess.

hope it helps.

Is there any latest experience of FTJ.

thanks
Sukhjinder

Update:

Spouse entered at JFK POE (New York) on March 21, 2005 with immigrant visa on the passport (six month validity) and packet given by N Delhi US consulate. During immigration check she was along with me in line marked for GC/Citizen. Officer took our passport and stamped my passport after looking at green card. She then stamped my wife passport and instructed us to go to the last counter where few other were already waiting. After 10-15 minutes they called my wife name and she had to go for FP. We were done in another 5 minutes.

Y'day I received a mail (welcome letter) from Texas Service center with a case number.

Timeline:
I-485 applied (Myself): May 2003 with PD July 2002, EB2
I-485 approval (Myself): Oct 2004
PP Stamping: Nov 2004
I-824 Submitted to VSC: Nov 2004
Green Card RD: Jan 2005
FTJ Papers submitted to N Delhi Consulate: Jan 13, 2005
FTJ Interview date: Mar 10, 2005
Spouse Passport Back from Consulate: Mar 15, 2005
Spouse Entry in US: Mar 21, 2005
Spouse SS Card RD: Mar 29, 2005
I-824 approved by VSC: Mar 31, 2005
I-824 LUD: Apr 04, 2005......Consulate notified
Letter from INS with spouse case#: Apr 05, 2005
LUD for spouse case# (Online Status): Apr 06, 2005 Card Ordered

usnycus said:
Update: Got spouse passport in mail today.

Timeline:

I-485 applied (Myself): May 2003 with PD July 2002, EB2
I-485 approval (Myself): Oct 2004
PP Stamping: Nov 2004
Green Card RD: Jan 2005
Papers submitted to N Delhi Consulate: Jan 13, 2005
Interview date: Mar 10, 2005
Passport Back from Consulate: Mar 15, 2005
usnycus said:
Spouse case approved by New Delhi Consulate on 10 Mar. I will post details once I am back in US.

Thanks to all the members who participated in this thread for their valuable input.
usnycus said:
update:
New Delhi Consulate scheduled interview for 10 Mar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually LUD changed for both (i.e. my I-485 and I-824) with following message:

"On April 4, 2005 the appropriate American Consulate or port of entry was notified by cable, telephone, or fax of the approval of this case."

See Inline...
sukhish said:
thanks all,

regarding the TAX forms , do I have to get it from the IRS or I have the copy of all my lat four year tax returns, will those work.
... Your copy of 1040 will work.

Also I would suppose that she will have take her marriage pics as well.
Does she needs to take the pics of her engagement as well.
... Carry your marriage pics, u never know. They may want to have a look during interview.

help please...i824

hi all,
im in the uk...
my wife and 2yr son whos usc...and still there,while im here!in uk...
filed i130 last year...04
approved 1st sep 04
cas i was not in the usa.....we had to file a i824...
we did in oct 04....
our processing date is ...18 nov 04..
my problem is that this i824 has only moved like 7 days forward in 5 months...
anyone tell me ...why do they hold such forms....why if we got an i130 approvel.....they dont just send it on to the nvc...
my wife contacted her senetor......and he just said its a dhs issue....in other words he wont get involved.....
any ideas how to move such a silly form?
i want to call london but i know what there going to say......its the uscis matter....
it sucks!....
any advise...please..
thanks...

rheabs

I had I-824 RD of Nov 10, 2004 and it was approved on Mar 31, 2005. You are very near to that date and hopefully that will be approved soon.

Try to contact another senator and member of congress in your area regarding your situation.

Also, ask your citizen spouse to walk in with approved I-130/US passport and request US consulate to open and process your case. In my wife case, I submitted my wife papers in Jan 2005 but never heard anything back. I went to New Delhi US consulate personally (end of Feb 2005) and requested them to have a look. They told me that case # has been assigned, and interview is scheduled for Mar 10, 2005.

That should not create any issues at US consulate during interview.

My wife had same scenario and we never faced any issue.

sukhish said:
Question.

My wife has put my name on her passport recently and her case number is also created
with my last name , but her college transcripts still has her old surname, Do you think
it will be a problem.

I mean I have told her to take her college transcripts to show them that she was studying all these times.

thanks
Sukhjinder

It was window interview in N Delhi US consulate.

sukhish said:
Question :

Is the FTJ interview a window interview or they take you to a room and then
interview .

thanks
Sukhjinder

Status
Not open for further replies.