Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you file I-824 for your wife or adopted some other method for FTJ or some other processing center has processed you I824?

I learned that Islamabad Embassy is not accepting FTJ applications directly and requires an I824 to be approved first. Then NVC receives all the documents and schedule the interview at Islamabad embassy. Please enlighten us with your experience.

Did you file I-824 for your wife or adopted some other method for FTJ or some other processing center has processed you I824?

I learned that Islamabad Embassy is not accepting FTJ applications directly and requires an I824 to be approved first. Then NVC receives all the documents and schedule the interview at Islamabad embassy. Please enlighten us with your experience.

FTJ applications can not be processed at the Islamabad Embassy because they need approval from the NVC to start working on them.
I found this out by contacting the embassy. This was also confirmed by the immigration officer working on my case here.

-FOLLOWUP

I called the TSC to find out what was going on and spoke to am immigration officer.
The immigration office gave me the USCIS Customer Service number to call and a sequence to keys to press to get an expedite request put in.
I called and got connected to apparently a different section of the customer service line that handles Expedite requests. Apparently through this request they give an awnser in 30 days.
I could not put the request in though because their computer systems were down. Apparently have been down for 2 days and counting !!
I am in a bit of a diliema now though.
I really dont care when my case gets done now... I am fed up and have got a job in Dubai. I will go there so that my wife can join me there till her paperwork gets done. The problem is that the I-131 re-entry permit looks like it will take about 6 months to process... which is ridiculous... apparently I cant even leave the country for a year without a 6 month notice to the USCIS ? How does one plan that ? :confused:
Anyways, in a nutshell, will call back tomorrow and put in the expedite request and see what happens.
Also will log back in in a day or two and post the sequence of numbers to go through to get the expedite request put in.
I also think that the customer service is not USICS... they are a private company that is outsourced to the USCIS. They have very very limited acess to anything. If calling dont even bother with them... once they pick up just tell them that your local field service office asked you to call this number and talk to an immigration officer. They then transfer you to an immigration officer who actually has access to your data and files. ;)
Will keep you guys updated.

Things get better.
I got a call from an IO on August 3, 2008. She says she has my file in hand and will be sending me the approval in the mail and that I should receive it by Friday, Aug 8.
Today, Aug 8, I got a call from the same lady. My FTJ application is lost, and they have no idea where it is. She asked me to fax her the entire application again so that she may reconstruct my case.
Needless to say, I was furious, but kept my calm and thanked her for taking a personal interest in my case. I faxed her everything and she promised to expedite and get me my approval by Wednesday.
Lets see what happens by Wednesday...

My wife's address is diffrent then mine in the passport

Hi guys,

I am really afraid that after waiting 10 years to get greencard, and staying apart from my wife for past 4 years now they may reject her follow to join application on following basis.

1. Her address in the passport is different then mine.
2. My name as a husband is not added in her passport.

Can some please advise me what to do?

Thanks
Negisian

Please apply for a fresh passport with all the necessary details and send the copy of fresh PP to USCIS as additional information.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone have any experience with follow to join for marriage and Form I-824.

My first question is that can I initiate I 824 for my wife before I get my Green car. I have my I140 approved waiting for 486. or do I need to wait for approval of my Green Card?

Does anyone have any experience in term of acceptance rate of this?

Can someone travel to US with other type of visa (Tourist and ...) while pending I-824?

Does anyone have any experience or idea for its timeline? I noticed that Nebraska in April-07 but it has been on the same date for the last 6 months? Does anyone have any information about this? Whats the deal there? It seesm all the other service center has 824 processing date of Jan 2008, how can the Nebraska one be April 2007?

The other question is, on the form I824 mentioned that "You should submit this form and any related evidence to theUSCIS office that approved the original petition or application. This could be either a USCIS Service Center or local USCIS office.

What does local service center mean here? I checked and it seems that local service centers does not have any processing date for I824, whats the deal?

any help or idea is appreciated?

Thanks

Check the answers below. Please ask the questions here in main thread rather than sending private messages as it may benefit others who may be eagerly trying to find this information.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone have any experience with follow to join for marriage and Form I-824.

My first question is that can I initiate I 824 for my wife before I get my Green car. I have my I140 approved waiting for 486. or do I need to wait for approval of my Green Card?
Yes you can. If they accept it then both will be approved on the same day.

Does anyone have any experience in term of acceptance rate of this?
100% if its real marriage and you qualify for the benefits.

Can someone travel to US with other type of visa (Tourist and ...) while pending I-824?
Yes you can. But its hard to get any other visa if immigrant visa is pending.

Does anyone have any experience or idea for its timeline? I noticed that Nebraska in April-07 but it has been on the same date for the last 6 months? Does anyone have any information about this? Whats the deal there? It seesm all the other service center has 824 processing date of Jan 2008, how can the Nebraska one be April 2007?
May be they are not updating the website. I noticed the processing timelines are always behind the acutal one.

The other question is, on the form I824 mentioned that "You should submit this form and any related evidence to theUSCIS office that approved the original petition or application. This could be either a USCIS Service Center or local USCIS office.
Local service centers dont get involve in regular 485 applications so its USCIS service center.
What does local service center mean here? I checked and it seems that local service centers does not have any processing date for I824, whats the deal?
thats what I stated. Local means other than the 4 service centers. They are for special case processing etc. or they have lock boxes for those applications. In your case you have nothing to do with local service centers.

any help or idea is appreciated?

Thanks

Hi Kamrans,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

One other question, I have heard that some consulate (like Mumbai) do not require the approval of I824 to initiate FTJ, they only need the receipt date of the I-824. Do you have any information or any idea on this?

The other question is: I am from Iran and there is no US consulate in Iran, We usually try to file everything in a couple of other countries such as Dubai, Ankara, or cyprus. Do you know how can I make sure about the above question? Do you have any experience with those consulates? and how can I know which consulate I should I apply? IS there any limitation there?

Thanks a lot

Check the answers below. Please ask the questions here in main thread rather than sending private messages as it may benefit others who may be eagerly trying to find this information.

Yes some consulates dont need 824 approval and they issue visa based on 824 receipt notice but the primary petitioner 485 should be approved at that time. So you need to wait until your 485 gets approved.
You need to check with the swiss consulate in Tehran as they are dealing US matters at this time or the nearest US embassy. Check out the state website at the following link:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1142.html
You can also call the Pakistani consulate at Washington DC to verify this as they deal iranian matters too.

Good Luck.

Hi Kamrans,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

One other question, I have heard that some consulate (like Mumbai) do not require the approval of I824 to initiate FTJ, they only need the receipt date of the I-824. Do you have any information or any idea on this?

The other question is: I am from Iran and there is no US consulate in Iran, We usually try to file everything in a couple of other countries such as Dubai, Ankara, or cyprus. Do you know how can I make sure about the above question? Do you have any experience with those consulates? and how can I know which consulate I should I apply? IS there any limitation there?

Thanks a lot

Hi,

I am in a quite unique situation and would appreciate if anyone here can help or give any insight. I got my GC via consular processing in Jan 2003 and was married before applying for the GC (2 year earlier). At the time, my lawyer suggested me to file for follow-to-join for my wife. However we weren’t sure if we want to stay in US for good so we decided to file only for me but not my wife (bad decision!). After I got the GC, we left US for couple of years and I recently came back to US via the reentry permit. Now we decided to settle in US. I want to bring my wife here and want to apply for her GC.

1) Can I still file the follow-to-join for my wife? (Don’t want to go with the I-130 route as it could take longer). Note: I did put my wife's name in my application and I filed with married status

2) I lost all of my original application and related documents for my GC case. I checked with my lawyer and he also doesn’t keep any document for my case. If we are still eligible for the follow-to-join benefit, can I request the original documents for my case from the USCIS? If yes, what form do I need to file to get the original application and documents?

3) I came back to US in April 2006 and should be eligible to file for citizenship in April 2010 (4 years and 1day). If we can’t file the follow-to-join and need to do I-130 (3-4 years processing), should we wait until I get my citizenship and apply for her?

If there are other options, I would welcome any comments and suggestions. Thanks

You are eligible for FTJ. Go ahead and apply for it. They may ask why you are doing it now so you must have legitimate reason. Since you got the GC through consular processing you dont need to file 824. Your wife can simply go to the consulate and present your papers and hers and she will be at set.

Good Luck.

Hi,

I am in a quite unique situation and would appreciate if anyone here can help or give any insight. I got my GC via consular processing in Jan 2003 and was married before applying for the GC (2 year earlier). At the time, my lawyer suggested me to file for follow-to-join for my wife. However we weren’t sure if we want to stay in US for good so we decided to file only for me but not my wife (bad decision!). After I got the GC, we left US for couple of years and I recently came back to US via the reentry permit. Now we decided to settle in US. I want to bring my wife here and want to apply for her GC.

1) Can I still file the follow-to-join for my wife? (Don’t want to go with the I-130 route as it could take longer). Note: I did put my wife's name in my application and I filed with married status

2) I lost all of my original application and related documents for my GC case. I checked with my lawyer and he also doesn’t keep any document for my case. If we are still eligible for the follow-to-join benefit, can I request the original documents for my case from the USCIS? If yes, what form do I need to file to get the original application and documents?

3) I came back to US in April 2006 and should be eligible to file for citizenship in April 2010 (4 years and 1day). If we can’t file the follow-to-join and need to do I-130 (3-4 years processing), should we wait until I get my citizenship and apply for her?

If there are other options, I would welcome any comments and suggestions. Thanks

You are eligible for FTJ. Go ahead and apply for it. They may ask why you are doing it now so you must have legitimate reason. Since you got the GC through consular processing you dont need to file 824. Your wife can simply go to the consulate and present your papers and hers and she will be at set.

Good Luck.

Thanks Kamarans for your response.

Do you know how long would it take for my wife to get approved?

If it will take years, is there any way she can visit or stay with me in US while waiting for her GC approval?

If your PD is current then you can get it approved immediately through the consulate.
If she gets in USA then you should file to 485 then she can stay inside.

Good Luck.

Thanks Kamarans for your response.

Do you know how long would it take for my wife to get approved?

If it will take years, is there any way she can visit or stay with me in US while waiting for her GC approval?

Hi Kamrans and all,

I wish to see NSC to actually process the I-824 (To request a duplicate approval notice, to request approval notice to another U.S. Consulate, and to request notice to a U.S. Consulate for derivative visas to family members.), Follow to Join applications, specially after the 100% increase in the processing fee last year on the pretext to improve the processing times and efficiency.

In reality, the situation is totally opposite to what NSC claims with no accountability of this white elephant.

I have put together the NSC posted processing dates showing the performance of "hard working officers" at NSC starting Jan 2008 to see the progress of the Service Center below.

USCIS Nebraska Service Center

USCIS Reporting Date | I-824 Processing Date Reported
Jan 15, 2008 | Feb 13, 2007
Feb 15, 2008 | Feb 20, 2007
Apr 15, 2008 | Mar 26, 2007
May 15, 2008 | Apr 08, 2007
Jun 15, 2008 | Apr 08, 2007
Jul 15, 2008 | Apr 11, 2007
Aug 15, 2008 | Mar 06, 2007

So actually there is no progress in the last eight months at NSC in processing the I-824 FTJ fee paid applications. As on Jan 15, they were processing Feb 13 applications and on Aug 15th (actually posted on Aug 30th), they are still processing Mar 06 cases.

Were they on vacation for the rest of 8.5 months?

Thus the total progress is 21 days for the last eight months. Further, From May till August, The reported dates were just an eyewash as August processing dates show the date older to the date posted on Apr 15. In contrast to NSC, Texas Service Center in processing I-824 filed in Jan/Feb 2008.

Great Job USCIS-NSC.... Let see the annual report for FY2008... another eyewash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

I am on H1B/AOS,pending. I have my I140 approved in July and my PD is current.

My wife is trying to apply for H4 Visa, however as her appointment is in more than a month and then there is security clearance afterward in best case it will take 3-4 months for an answer if positive or she may get rejected in H1B.

I would like to initiate follow to join as well in the mean time and by that I would like to start submitting I-824 to NSC. (As the NSC processing date is delayed by 20 months).

QUESTION: Is there going to be any probblem on her H4 if I file I-824 now? Is there any contradiction there assuming timeline above?

Many thanks,

Troubled

Add to your list Sept Processing time to be April 14 2007.... What the hell is that while the other Service centers are on Feb08, Vermont is on April 08....Great jon NSC guys

Hi Kamrans and all,

I wish to see NSC to actually process the I-824 (To request a duplicate approval notice, to request approval notice to another U.S. Consulate, and to request notice to a U.S. Consulate for derivative visas to family members.), Follow to Join applications, specially after the 100% increase in the processing fee last year on the pretext to improve the processing times and efficiency.

In reality, the situation is totally opposite to what NSC claims with no accountability of this white elephant.

I have put together the NSC posted processing dates showing the performance of "hard working officers" at NSC starting Jan 2008 to see the progress of the Service Center below.

USCIS Nebraska Service Center

USCIS Reporting Date | I-824 Processing Date Reported
Jan 15, 2008 | Feb 13, 2007
Feb 15, 2008 | Feb 20, 2007
Apr 15, 2008 | Mar 26, 2007
May 15, 2008 | Apr 08, 2007
Jun 15, 2008 | Apr 08, 2007
Jul 15, 2008 | Apr 11, 2007
Aug 15, 2008 | Mar 06, 2007
Sept 15, 2008 | April 14, 2007

So actually there is no progress in the last eight months at NSC in processing the I-824 FTJ fee paid applications. As on Jan 15, they were processing Feb 13 applications and on Aug 15th (actually posted on Aug 30th), they are still processing Mar 06 cases.

Were they on vacation for the rest of 8.5 months?

Thus the total progress is 21 days for the last eight months. Further, From May till August, The reported dates were just an eyewash as August processing dates show the date older to the date posted on Apr 15. In contrast to NSC, Texas Service Center in processing I-824 filed in Jan/Feb 2008.

Great Job USCIS-NSC.... Let see the annual report for FY2008... another eyewash.

Follow-to-Join procedure

I would appreciate if you could let me know the steps involved in Follow-to-Join process for spouse. Here is my understanding:

1. File I-824 to the same USCIS center where you filed your immigration petition.
Somebody mentioned that at some consulate your spouse can directly go and start the follow-to-join procedure. You need not wait for I-824. Is that true? Not sure US embassy in toronto will allow that. Can somebody let me know
Document required if filing I-824: ?? Just the form and fees or anything else?? That's what is mentioned in the instructions for this form.

2. USCIS will notify a foreign U.S. consulate that you are a lawful permanent resident so that your spouse can apply for a following-to-join immigrant visa. Does spouse have to follow up with consulate to check if they recieved the information? or he/she gets a letter about how to proceed further.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

I would appreciate if you could let me know the steps involved in Follow-to-Join process for spouse. Here is my understanding:

1. File I-824 to the same USCIS center where you filed your immigration petition.
Somebody mentioned that at some consulate your spouse can directly go and start the follow-to-join procedure. You need not wait for I-824. Is that true? Not sure US embassy in toronto will allow that. Can somebody let me know

--> The process states that you have to apply to the center who maintains your I-140/I485 applications. I think, if you have all the documents available, there is no harm in trying to contact the US Embassy in Toronto to see if they can actually process I-824 without involving USCIS but for that, I would suggest you to accompany your spouse with your GC and/ I-140 / I485 certified copies. Do let us know what is the outcome....

--> If you are in Toronto area, also ask the US CBP officer at the US port of entry if they can verify your status and send this information to the desired embassy, so that your Wife's case could be created.

Document required if filing I-824: ?? Just the form and fees or anything else?? That's what is mentioned in the instructions for this form.

--> If you file at USCIS, the required documentation is listed on the application itself. I would suggest to provide as much documents (copies) as possible, but the marriage certificate, your spouse address in foreign country, date of marriage, your I-140/485 approval notices, copy of your GC etc should accompany your application.

2. USCIS will notify a foreign U.S. consulate that you are a lawful permanent resident so that your spouse can apply for a following-to-join immigrant visa. Does spouse have to follow up with consulate to check if they recieved the information? or he/she gets a letter about how to proceed further.

--> Once embassy receives the details about your status with your request to create a FTJ for your spouse, with details of your/ and spouse's address, they will contact you themselves but there is no harm in asking them.

Any help will be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.