FOIA -- Tracking in VSC

some more data

I had sent a fax asking them what the status is. They replied that my case is number 578 out of 976 pending cases, which means I would have to wait for 577 other requests to be served I guess. Now a little bit of analysis

I got the receipt dated Dec 16,04 , so in about 35 days they have 398 new cases, an average of 11 new FOIA's being filed daily ( not counting holidays here)

Now on the average they take 2.5 months to process a case which means that since I have filed about 35 days ago, I have 40 more days to go.

Which further means that in 40 days they would process 578 cases and thus means about 14-15 cases per day. NOTE, I have not taken into consideration ANY holidays here or the mailing time or other things, just rough math !

Hope this helps you in finding out where you stand in the FOIA queue, though its not a strong theory ;-)

Thanks !

cantstopme said:
Hi Shankar

I sent them a fax, I dont know if its gonna help any, but what the hell, give it a shot

FOIA / PA Officer
Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479-0001
Fax: (802) 527-4864

for Vermont.

In case you wanna try your luck too. I was actually shocked that the fax went thru, I was expecting it to say 'Fax number doesnt exist' Ha ! :)

I tried the call approach with the National Customer Service, but they should change the name to National NO Customer service, cos thats what I got. Kinda reminds me of the Capital One 'No' ad :)

Notes for other FOIA filers

I had relocated after filing the FOIA and in the same fax I sent them above I asked them to update my address and they promptly did and send the details of my request to the new address.

I had filed 2 FOIA's on with the local office and another with VSC. The local one got forwarded to VSC and VSC wrote back saying that the request is duplicate ( in another letter, 2 letters from VSC in one day ;-)) and the forwarded one is cancelled.

Hope this helps others !

I sent to St. Albans, VT on 01/03/05 but still no reciept. (almost 20 days). Do I need to call VSC (throught the call tip) to find out what happen to the FOIA request?

Last edited by a moderator:
Request for help from everyone

Hi Friends,
I am facing a problem. After requesting a status update from VSC they confirmed that they mailed all my papers on 01/11/05.
However, till date I have not received any papers.
This is totally beyond comprehension.
I wonder whether I can request my friends here to provide me the following info so that I can start an enquiry.
1. I believe the envelope is of size 8 1/2 by 11. Is this true?
2. What is the difference between priority mail and first class mail.
3. If postal department looses the papers, what can I do? Can I request VSC to send me a duplicate copy?
Please help by tonight as I am going to start enquiry tomorrow.
Thanks
Shankar123

:confused: :(

I am also waiting

Applied for FOIA -- 22 Oct, 2004.
VSC Receipt Date -- 03 Nov, 2004.
Task Category -- Simple Task

packet Received ..... (Still waiting)

got FOIA

Today I got my FOIA. Just 15 pages.
FOIA ND: November 3rd 2004.
FOID : Jan 24 2005.

BTW, I have a question. In the I-140 application that I received thru FOIA, I saw a square stamp viz. IBIS and there were 3 options (NH/ R / NR). Does anyone know what is this?

Thanks

avg 70 days ?

based on several responses, it seems like its taking about 70 days. Please post your details if its taken longer than 70 days and possibly any differences from a 'normal' case ( whatever that means ;-))

cheers

Gotttttttttt Mineeeeeeeeeee

Hi Guys,
I got my papers yesterday. Exactly 84 days end to end.
Best wishes.
Shankar123

Question

Do they also send a copy of I-140 approval if FOIA is requested? or is it mentioned anywhere that I-140 is approved with their FOIA papers?

did not

I did not the copy of I-140 approval notice,since I did not request. ( I already had a copy from Lawyer)
Also on the I-140 application copy we can see the Stamp of the approval date and signature.

Thanks a lot friends.
I tried to open the forum for our benefit and hope this helped us all.
I got total 11 pages.
1. I140 Approval
2. Labor Application and Approval (ETA 750 A and B).
shankar123

shankar123 said:
Thanks a lot friends.
I tried to open the forum for our benefit and hope this helped us all.
I got total 11 pages.
1. I140 Approval
2. Labor Application and Approval (ETA 750 A and B).
shankar123
how much did they charge u?

I recently sent FOIA form to VSC for getting my I-485 and I-140 file.
I got letter yesterday saying the request is transfered to Nation record Center - FOIA Division, Lee's Summit, MO. This change is address is effective from Feb'14th 2005 and my file reached Vermont on 15th Feb.

Does any one know what this Center is for? That means my I-1485 and I140 files will be sent to Lee's Summit, MO for taking copy?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Received the documents for my FOIA request

Guys,

I have received around 70 to 100 pages of document for my request.

I am wondering myself if there is a link to 485 approval and completing of FOIA request.

Foia

How many days it tooks ? What is RD for FOIA and what date you received ?

Thanks.

OneMoreStupid said:
Guys,

I have received around 70 to 100 pages of document for my request.

I am wondering myself if there is a link to 485 approval and completing of FOIA request.

Foia

What is Receipt date mention on Letter which has control number.

Thanks,

OneMoreStupid said:
I have applied sometime in Mid Oct 04.
On Dec 7th 2004 received the control number.
Feb 26th recieved the documents.