FBI Name Check

its also been 15 months since my last FP (not counting the EAD related FP). May be its just that. Its hard to even allow oneself an optimistic thought.:mad:

Hi all,

I got a "record of sworn statement in affidavit form" (I-215w) in the mail from USCIS local office today. It asks questions like if my contact info has been changed, if there's any changes to any answers I gave since my last interview, etc.

I am wondering if anyone else has got such a letter. Does this mean someone in the local office is starting to look at the cases withe name check pending more than 180 days?

Was also wondering if I should schedule an InfoPass to submit this form, even though it says on the letter that I can mail it in. Any experiences to share? Thanks tons!
Thought I will add a follow-up post to my previous one.

I went for an InfoPass today to hand in the I-215w I got in the mail. The supervisor signed the I-215w and said she will deliver the form to the right place in the building.

When I asked her about the recent memo on pending name checks, she said that's why I got the affidavit. She said they are going through hundreds of pending cases now, and hopefully I can hear some good news soon. Someone else who works there also commented that they are seeing many I-215w coming in lately, "like snow balls". Apparently, there are also citizenship applicants who got I-215w and came for InfoPass - though their cases should not be affected by the recent memo.

Anyways, I will come back and update if there's anything new. Anyone else who's in the same boat?

I did get a letter yesterday requesting biometrics again. the letter was dated 2-7-08 and the lUD is for 2-17-08. Not sure what to make of it.

What code was your first FP?

Can you please provide your answers to following:
Was it code 3 when you did the first FP?
Did you call USCIS to request FP appointment?
What Service center has your application?

I spoke to an Immigration officer at NSC(Nebraska Service Center) and apparently people who had code 3 biometric appointments after applying for I-485 will not need to go to ASC for another FP appointment even after 15 months.

I did get a letter yesterday requesting biometrics again. the letter was dated 2-7-08 and the lUD is for 2-17-08. Not sure what to make of it.

After I heard this new act, I did an infopass this wednesday, yesterday I went there, the guy told me that I need to go to Garden City Immigration office(where I got my interview) to get my status of I-485 application. Since the case is there, they can't provide me any info for my case. Then I asked him how to schedule an appointment with the officer there, he told me just go there, go straightly into the building and ask for it...:confused::confused:

Then I called the 800-375-5283 after I came back. They told me that I can't go to the immigration office without an appointment. No one will answer me any question. What's wrong here? Why the guy at the infopass asked me to do that???? I am really pissed....:mad:

What can I do now? My case has been pending since Jan 2006, this is the first time I feel so helpless in my life..... OMG, why it is so difficult to get a straight answer from govenment of USA....

Just go to Garden City office or if that's inconvenient call them ahead of time to find out. But I would just go there and find out. Don't be surprised if folks at 800-375-5283 give you scripted answers. They are not always the best people to ask for such advice!!
After I heard this new act, I did an infopass this wednesday, yesterday I went there, the guy told me that I need to go to Garden City Immigration office(where I got my interview) to get my status of I-485 application. Since the case is there, they can't provide me any info for my case. Then I asked him how to schedule an appointment with the officer there, he told me just go there, go straightly into the building and ask for it...:confused::confused:

Then I called the 800-375-5283 after I came back. They told me that I can't go to the immigration office without an appointment. No one will answer me any question. What's wrong here? Why the guy at the infopass asked me to do that???? I am really pissed....:mad:

What can I do now? My case has been pending since Jan 2006, this is the first time I feel so helpless in my life..... OMG, why it is so difficult to get a straight answer from govenment of USA....

USCIS announcement on 2/20/2008

This was released yesterday by USCIS. But I am not able to find it today on USCIS website. Here is the copy. Hopefully we can have our pendind case processed in a month.

We have been waiting for this stupid little card since June 1, 2004(receipt date). Officially in NameCheck Pending since Aug 5, 2005 (interview date).

I have no idea how drunk I will get if we receive this card in mid-March. Nor do I know what I will spend all my internet time investigating.

Good luck to all,
Lardbird

the guys at 1800 number are total freak shows , just go to garden city office and u can get ur case status , u do not need an infopass , i have been doing this for the past six months , go there on a friday as there are no interviews on friday and no lines

Can you please provide your answers to following:
Was it code 3 when you did the first FP?
Did you call USCIS to request FP appointment?
What Service center has your application?

I spoke to an Immigration officer at NSC(Nebraska Service Center) and apparently people who had code 3 biometric appointments after applying for I-485 will not need to go to ASC for another FP appointment even after 15 months.

I dont know what Code 3 is?
I did not call for an FP appointment. I just got a letter in the mail.
I plan to ask about the status of my application while i am there. The application is in St Albans, Vermont

Code 1,2,3 refer to different combinations of what they capture at your FP appointment.

"
The USCIS finger print notices will contain a code number, which represents what information is to be collected:

Code 1: 10 fingerprints
Code 2: Thumb finger print, photo and signature
Code 3: 10 fingerprints, photo and signature (code 1 + code 2)
"

Source: http://triceiver.com/USCIS_Background_Security_Check_Immigration.aspx

I dont know what Code 3 is?
I did not call for an FP appointment. I just got a letter in the mail.
I plan to ask about the status of my application while i am there. The application is in St Albans, Vermont

the guys at 1800 number are total freak shows , just go to garden city office and u can get ur case status , u do not need an infopass , i have been doing this for the past six months , go there on a friday as there are no interviews on friday and no lines

Thank you very much for your info. I will go there next friday. :)

Hello! I'm really happy to have found this site! Here's our story- hopefully someone will be able to provide some information that may be helpful. I apologize now- I don't know all of the abbreviations!!

I'm a USC- my husband is from Lithuania, came over on a diplomatic visa.
Married in 2/03
Case opened 5/03
Renewed I765 8/04
Biometrics 9/04
Interview (approved pending name check) 5/05
Renew I765 8/05
Infopass appt- told he had to renew Biometrics 12/05
Renew I765 8/06
Infopass 10/06 - told case still awaiting name check
Status of case on USCIS site changed to Fingerprint review complete 11/06
Infopass 11/07- told case still awaiting name check

There were also multiple phone calls to the customer service center that resulted in nothing.

Help!! Our lawyers say there's nothing that can be done- just wait. My husbands father is an Ambassador, not sure if that's holding up the name check.

Thank you for any help!

edited to add: For my husbands job he has had to pass through 2 FBI background checks to be hired. Again- not sure if that matters or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
uscis recently revised its policy on name checks , if the name checks are pending for over 180 days uscis will approve the case

franticsky-

Thank you very much for the quick reply. My mother thought she had heard something about this on CNN, but I have not been able to find information concerning it.

Is there anything we would need to do- or will they (FINALLY!!) just start issueing the cards?

Thanks again!!!

well book an infopass and inquire , please go to page 47 or 46 of this forum and print out the document posted by mamtaashok , uscis had put this up on their webiste on feb 20 , but now that document is not there

questions for franticsky

Dear franticsky,
I think you are getting close to get approved.
I have a question for you. Did you move from one state to another state after you filed your application? The reason I am asking this question is that I would love to have some advice on pushing my application file transferred to the new office.
I moved from one state to another. I have visited my local office three times. The first time, I informed them that I moved. I was told that everything looked fine. My address change request was in the system. The second time, I was told that my case had been transferred to the new local office. However, today for the third time, when I brought the new namecheck memo in and tried to get the updated status on the case. I was informed that my case was still at the old district office and therefore nothing could be done at this point. The infopass officer did ask me to file a form to ask for file transfer from the old district office. But the whole time, I was blamed for moving from one place to another and put myself into a bad situation. I was very very upset. I did everything I could. 2 years of waiting. And now who knows how long the file transfer is going to take.
I was thinking about WOM, but the attorney I talked to advised me to wait because of the new Memo.
:mad::mad:

Dear franticsky,
I think you are getting close to get approved.
I have a question for you. Did you move from one state to another state after you filed your application? The reason I am asking this question is that I would love to have some advice on pushing my application file transferred to the new office.
I moved from one state to another. I have visited my local office three times. The first time, I informed them that I moved. I was told that everything looked fine. My address change request was in the system. The second time, I was told that my case had been transferred to the new local office. However, today for the third time, when I brought the new namecheck memo in and tried to get the updated status on the case. I was informed that my case was still at the old district office and therefore nothing could be done at this point. The infopass officer did ask me to file a form to ask for file transfer from the old district office. But the whole time, I was blamed for moving from one place to another and put myself into a bad situation. I was very very upset. I did everything I could. 2 years of waiting. And now who knows how long the file transfer is going to take.
I was thinking about WOM, but the attorney I talked to advised me to wait because of the new Memo.
:mad::mad:

No I did not move from another state , the reason why the NY office requested a file from nebraska was I had two A-files in the system because my previous employer filed an I-140 application and the officer who interviewd me informed me that he needs to consolidate my present A-file with the older file and make a decision , he had requestd the same on august 22nd and for the past 5.5 months nothing moved , i had a harrowing time writing to the congressman , senator , ombudsman , to the IO , calling cust service , putting service requests , at last I wrote to the uscis district director in New York and within a week the file was transferred , now the case is pending decision by the officer

I suggest write to ur local DO office's district director and also the district director of ur older DO , and see what is going on

WOM is absolutely the right way but make sure u have the final evidence of letters to the district directors too

Last edited by a moderator: