Faster Citizenship Law Passed in the Senate--potential good news

I wonder why they would make it easier. Also, would that mean the physical presence required will go down to 2 years instead of 2.5?

Hello Folks,

Long time no see. I would like to say sorry first if I miss lots of useful info.

My asylum green card shows "Resident Since 09/19/04”. When will I be eligible to apply for US citizenship?

Thank you in advance! Good luck to you all!

hey sadasylee,

you can file your naturalization application (N-400) ON OR AFTER: 19 June 2009.
so in less than 3 months.

congrats and good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this old news or what?

Hey All,

The Senate today passed an amendment that would allow people to apply for citizenship after being in LPR status for only four years (for asylees three years). The additional requirement is that the applicant must be fluent in English which I take to mean a higher proficiency than now required of almost all applicants (the word "fluent" is not defined in the bill).

What the status of this bill? It was gone or what?

It was never passed. Think about it guys, if it did become law you would have heard about it somewhere.

i wonder how we can do that! can we write some sort of letter to the any of the congressman or the senators, asking them to reintroduce this or at least do a follow up!!?

There is nothing to be done until a new Congress and a new President are in office. This Congress will finish its business once they pass the bail-out.