FAFSA and illegal students

NO SSN# or alien # = no finanacial aid from fafsa ppl, trust me i go 2 college, and i appled 2 times, and they send me the applicaton back saying that they need a SSN, for u 2 b eligible.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton and MIT admit students without regard to their immigration status. If you are admitted the school will give you a scholarship package that will make the school affordable fo you.

A few other schools, like Stanford, Columbia, Cornell and Duke, admit also give financial aid to students without proper status. But they have limited funds and the admission is not need blind.

Help!

Well I'm basicall in the same situation as most of you.
I came to this country two months after I was born, which was 17 years ago, and still a current undocumented student.
I've assisted school here in the U.S. since my Pre-School years. And now I'm a current senior. It's time to go off to college, but knowing that I won't be able to qualify for any financial need is frustrating and a so called "pain in the a**". Well, since my parents and I have received a letter of volunteer deportation 5 years ago. I cannot apply for my greencard; and it sucks!
But aside from all that, it has not stopped me from being a "normal" kid or searching for a higher education. I'm about to submit my UC/CSU applications tomorrow. If I get denied because of my immigration status, I will most likely leave the country to seek a way of achieving my dream of becoming a Computer Engineer. I might leave to England or Canada; or even back to "my" country, Mexico.
Well, any who. I have a question. I'm about to submit my application. I got denied for the CSU fee waiver. But what about the UC? Would I get denied to? Well if any one can help me figure this out before submitting my application tomorrow. That would be great. If not, then I have to find a way of paying those $220, for the 4 UC I'm applying to. Well thanks for reading my boring comment. haha
peace!

i need help.

I need help... My story is very familiar I came as a baby of two months of age. I went to school pre-school though high school. I graduated last June of 2006, then the hard reality of me not attending college like the rest of my graduating class. the tuition is too high and my perants make little money. I'm in a rut. I am illegal and unemployed and I hope to god that i can get a higher education. My father has been a permanate resident for 12 years now and has No desire to fix my legal status or my sisters. What can I do??? to help pay for my college???? someone please :confused:

Hey Paco
u have to pay for the applications...no fee waiver

Ive been through this b4
I suggest u to go to community college for 2 years then transfer to UC. That way u save a lot of money. While ur in CC, u can get married to US citizen or do something about ur status.

Don't leave the US...why would u do that? u cant come back here in 10 years...dont do it

good luck..

u can im me if u want

cRamirez
I need help... My story is very familiar I came as a baby of two months of age. I went to school pre-school though high school. I graduated last June of 2006, then the hard reality of me not attending college like the rest of my graduating class. the tuition is too high and my perants make little money. I'm in a rut. I am illegal and unemployed and I hope to god that i can get a higher education. My father has been a permanate resident for 12 years now and has No desire to fix my legal status or my sisters. What can I do??? to help pay for my college???? someone please

u can ask ur dad to apply for citizenship then u will be eligible for GC

why wouldnt he wanna help u?

this is so weird

u can go to CC...to save money

Last edited by a moderator:
Help

I am not a resident or citizen but somehow my dad managed to obtain a legal legit social security under my name for tax purposes, (which to my knowledge is what socials are for right?) i received a call from Calgrants and they told me to submit the FAFSA form regardless of my status. I could submit the social and it will pass through the scan process because it is legit. I dont understand what will happen if I do, since my resident status is Illegal.

From my experience, a social is needed as ccordova mentioned. I remember going to a community college and asking this question well a couple of community and state colleges. FAFSA is for GC holders as well as Citizens since it requires a social security.

If you do not have a SS # you will be considered an international student and hence need an F1. I do understand your dilema. You may want to try the I-20 form asap. Good Luck :)

Hey Dssdnt. It really doesn't matter whether or not you submit the FAFSA. On the first page it will ask for your immigration status and that's what they'll use to determine if you're eligible for aid or not. As far as SS numbers go, most colleges don't use them for classification purposes since they ask for other documentation (i.e. GC#, F-1, etc). More than likely, if you're unable to furnish the necessary paperwork, they'll just mark you as undocumented (which most schools do nowadays). Bottom line: if you're undocumented, you're ineligible for federal or state aid regardless of whether you have a valid SS.

BUT WAIT!

I'm not sure if you're keeping up with the California Dream Act but if Arnold has a change of heart and decides not to veto the bill again, you should, just to be safe, file a FAFSA anyway. That way your record is on file. But until the bill comes into law, you won't see any money. Just remember that regardless of your status, you can still attend school (as long as you pay)! Hope this helps!

HEY, WANT TO BE ABLE TO GET MONEY TO GO TO COLLEGE? IF YOU ARE ILLEGAL, YOU CURRENTLY CAN NOT. BUT THE DREAM ACT IS BEING DEBATED RIGHT NOW! THIS IS YOUR CHNACE TO BE ABLE TO GET CITIZENSHIP. BUT YOU HAVE TO HELP GET THIS ACT PASSED! HERE IS A LINK TO A DREAM ACT PETITION WE HAVE CREATED FOR YOU, SIGN IT IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO HAVE A CAREER HERE IN THE U.S.

http://www.petitiononline.com/da07/petition.html

ALSO, YOU MUST CALL THE SENATORS AND TELL THEM THAT YOU WANT THIS DREAM ACT PASSED. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS, THE GOVERNMENT WILL ASSUME THAT THERE IS NO SUPPORT FOR THIS ACT OUT THERE AND IT WILL NOT BE PASSED. WANT A CAREER AFTER COLLEGE? WANT TO BE ABLE TO WORK? THEN CONTACT THE SENATORS! WE CAN'T DO EVERTHING FOR YOU. WE CAN ONLY GIVE YOU THE TOOLS TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. HERE IS THE LINK WITH THEIR CONTACT INFORMATION. YOU CAN EITHER CALL THEM OR E-MAIL THEM. I URGE YOU TO CALL THOUGH. IT MAKES IT PERSONAL.

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Hi,
I have worked in a Financial office at a local junior college.
Illegal aliens can not fill out fafsa, since they need a social security and their names and citizenship eligibility will be verify it by the DHS.
Verification from the DHS is made to all non-U.S citizen, and it is key to the process of this FEDERAL AID.
See eligibility:
http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/faq003.htm

If you dont fill out one, nothing will happen. You only need to fill out a Fafsa form if you are trying to qualify for financial aid.
Check with your financial aid office. They will give you more info about it.

Hi CCordova

Accordingly to your experience, do you think I can get In-state fees if the only paper I have from the USCIS is a I-130 receipt notice? BY thw way I am in FL. Thanks in advance.
Those out-state fees are kiliing me.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi CCordova

Accordingly to your experience, do you think I can get In-state fees if the only paper I have from the USCIS is a I-130 receipt notice? BY thw way I am in FL. Thanks in advance.
Those out-state fees are kiliing me.....

State law controls who can get in-state tuition and each state has different rules. However in Florida having an I-130 receipt notice does NOT qualify. Sorry to be the bearer of this news.

I agreed with thankful... just the I130 will not qualify you for in-satet tuition. You need to wait till u get your GC.

its long but really worthwhile.. i hope

I am in the same position as you guys. Im knew im 16 junior in high school... I hate how selfish the united states can be. my story in case anyones interested is in bold: my mother came here illegally through mexico (im from bolivia) like 25 years ago.. She left for bolivia in 86'. She had 10 year visa at the time. We stayed their 11 years and i was born their. My brother was born here so hes a US citizen however i am not. He came here in 1998 i came here im 1999. My brother and i were separated and it sucked. anyways ive been here since 3rd grade im 11th grader in high school. I have good grades gpa is about 3.6. Im smart kind. and worried about college next year. My family doesnt have alot of money. I was hoping the DREAM Act bill would pass so i would become a normal teen. Drive, work, not have to worry about money or how to get into college. We have submitted our papers in 2001 so we have to wait 2 or more years... I worry because i cannot afford out of state tuitition.. Its too much. I have the potential to goiing to some big schools. I cant apply for fafsa.. or i might but the thing that gets me is i dont wanna sound cocky ii have so much more potential then people who can get financial help and i want to be someone. Live the American Dream. I am outraged at the fact I cannot concentrated as hard as i could because sometimes when studying i think to myself whats the point. Im clean i dont drink smoke anything. yet i am stripped of my rights. I have learned that in these united states "All men are created equal...with certain unalienable rights that among these are LIFE, LIBERTY which i dont have and PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS which I HAVE 1/3. IT's an outrage. Im sorry for writing so much but i just had to get that out of my chest. Will someone please help me about how to go arond this whole situation. I am afraid to ask anybody at school because they might report it to immigration

Fafsa

FAFSA is a form that can be filled out annually by current and anticipating university students and sometimes their parents in the United States to determine their eligibility for federal student financial aid. In addition, most states and schools use information from the to award non-federal aid.
==========================================================
Sandy
Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
4thdimension1@gmail.com

So ive lived here since i was 6 months old, I am just graduating highschool. I have a SSN but no green card (no idea how to get one) My SSN says Not valid for employment but can i still recieve aid? If i cant, how do i go about getting money for school?

So ive lived here since i was 6 months old, I am just graduating highschool. I have a SSN but no green card (no idea how to get one) My SSN says Not valid for employment but can i still recieve aid? If i cant, how do i go about getting money for school?

Hey jazmineh,
im in the same situation as you. my SS# says the same thing and i am currently living here on an expired L-2 visa.

can someone please tell me if my SS# is worth aanything toward financial aid.

Hey jazmineh,
im in the same situation as you. my SS# says the same thing and i am currently living here on an expired L-2 visa.

can someone please tell me if my SS# is worth aanything toward financial aid.

no it is not worth anything.