FAFSA and illegal students

yes. for that you have to talk with the financial office and let them know of your status. it will only be for the fafsa score and the money will be from the college. you are not to get any money from the feds. none.

Hello,

Hello TheInquisitor, :)

What do you mean by the FAFSA score? Can we illegals get that score without having SS#? :confused: What I know is that we can't apply at all. We won't get anything not even a score.

Thanks. :)

i never did fafsa. but i understand it gives you a score. you can then use the score to have the school give you one of their own money. but only do this with the permission of the school.

im confused

What i understand is that I have to contact the admission office of each school I have applied and let them know my situation...right?
and what is FAFSA score?? i still dont get it

like i said, fafsa gives you a score based on the info you give them. schools then use that score to see what aid you will get. perhaps do the fafas thing and get the score. then the school will see how much money, if any, you will get. again, only do this with the permission of the aid office at the school.

emiko said:
Do undomented students need to fill out FAFSA in order to apply to colleges?
If i dont fill out one, will there be any problem?
I don't have social security number. How can I work this out?
Plzzz helppp a poor senior student :(
Hi,
I have worked in a Financial office at a local junior college.
Illegal aliens can not fill out fafsa, since they need a social security and their names and citizenship eligibility will be verify it by the DHS.
Verification from the DHS is made to all non-U.S citizen, and it is key to the process of this FEDERAL AID.
See eligibility:
http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/faq003.htm

If you dont fill out one, nothing will happen. You only need to fill out a Fafsa form if you are trying to qualify for financial aid.
Check with your financial aid office. They will give you more info about it.

i heard once that one could simply leave the social box empty and just get the score. then give the score to the school. let us know cccordova if this is possible or not. or if it is still the case.

TheInquisitor said:
i heard once that one could simply leave the social box empty and just get the score. then give the score to the school. let us know cccordova if this is possible or not. or if it is still the case.
Hi TheInquisitor,
That used to be possible, but know it is almost imposible to do. If you apply online, fafsa will require you to have a ss# in order to continue with the application. If you apply in paper and mail in your application with the ss# in blank, or with a ss# that the department of education cannot verify, they will send you a letter to bring a copy of ypur ss# to your school's financial aid office.
Now it varies by school. I dont know if some schools will let you "just get the score" but the general rule is that it is no possible.

so the answer i guess is no. perhaps if the school really wants to give some of their won money, they will have to see the score of other people in similar finacial situations. thank you.

TheInquisitor said:
so the answer i guess is no. perhaps if the school really wants to give some of their won money, they will have to see the score of other people in similar finacial situations. thank you.

I dont know a case in which the school has given aid money to an undocumented student. WITH THE EXCEPTION of scholarships.
Very few scholarships do not require you to be a US resident.

so how can emiko go about getting a scholarship? i think that is what he meant. schools sometimes need fafsa scores to see how they can give scholarships. can we use fafsa to have the schools give scholarships? or what other ways are there?

Hello,

Hello TheInquisitor,

What I did was that I called the admissions office of the college I applied to, and I told them my situation. They told me to fill out the FASFA form and to send it directly to them (the college), and from there they would be able to see how much money they could give me.

So, what he is going to have to do is to talk to a financial officer from the college and tell them his situation. They are probably going to ask him to do something like that so they can determine how much money to give him.

I hope that helps!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!! :)

emiko said:
If I call the admission offices, I don't know where to start. Do I have to say I'm living illegally? or undocumented or what?? im scared...:(
So if anyone have information about UCB, UCSC, UCLA, Dominican University, USF, and CCSF (Those are schools I applied) Plz tell me if I need to fill out FAFSA and send it directly to the university or what I have to do.
I am so worried about this. The FAFSA deadline is coming and I still have no idea what I should do
(T_T)

You don't have to fill out a FAFSA form because you are inelegible to receive any federal or state aid. Once you are accepted to one of the UCs you will be qualified in the system to pay your tuition as a "out of state student" what this means is that you will pay high tuition fees just like an international student.
You won't qualify to pay california resident tuition since you can not establish state residency without having legal immigration status in the country.

There is no point in filling out a FAFSA. There is no score to calculate because the score is only to be use to qualify you for Federal money, State money, Grants, and federal loans....

I have worked for many years in a college admissions and I have dealed with this many times. Undocumented students applied to the college, got admited, and they paid non-resident tuition.

HOWEVER, IF YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA, and you have graduated from a CA high school, and have attended a california High school for at least 3 years. You are elegible for the the AB-540 which allows you to paid "california resident tuition fees" in most community colleges and state universities like SFSU and others. So insteed of paying $198 per unit as a non-state-resident you will paid $27 per unit as every regular californian. The only disadvantage is that you are still inelegible to federal and state aid.
UNFORTUNATLY, AB-540 does not apply to UC's or private schools.
Check this web sites for the AB-540
http://www.maldef.org/ab540/ab540.cfm

IF AFTER ALL THIS you still want to try to fill out a FAFSA go ahead an call them directly;
Federal Student Aid Information Center
1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243)
and just explain them your situation.... tell them that you are undocumented, and that you have applied to some schools, and that you were woundering if you have to fill out a FAFSA form.

Also check this elegibility requirements to fill out a fafsa:
http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/faq003.htm

If I would be you I would call them and really find out directly from them, or from the FinAid Office. That way you will not regreat not calling to find out before the deadline....
**There is no reason to be scare...(I know how scary could be...) BUT think in this.... they are not INS... they don't know who you are.... they don't care if you are legal or not in the U.S.....they just provide info....

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried filling out the FAFSA form but it didn't work

coz i don't have SSN
i also won't qualify for in-state tuition coz i have lived for only two years
omg
colleges are not affordable for me :(

two years in the state or the country? if in the country, then hope for a genral amnesty. and were you here before you were 16?

I'm confused?????

From my understanding AB540 does apply for UC's in the MALDEF PowerPoint presentation it states that with the AB540 students can pay $5,530 a year instead of $19,740 a year.

I'm so sad and pissed

TheInquisitor said:
two years in the state or the country? if in the country, then hope for a genral amnesty. and were you here before you were 16?

Two years in the state (CA)
I was here before 16.
Do I qualify for in-state tuition?
:(
FAFSA deadline has gone. I have learned a lot. First, I called the financial aid offices of the universities I had applied.

All of them told me not to fill out the FAFSA form and they won't give me any financial aid until I have a green card.

Can't believe this! even private schools won't give me private scholarships!