FAFSA and illegal students

emiko said:
Two years in the state (CA)
I was here before 16.
Do I qualify for in-state tuition?
:(
FAFSA deadline has gone. I have learned a lot. First, I called the financial aid offices of the universities I had applied.

All of them told me not to fill out the FAFSA form and they won't give me any financial aid until I have a green card.

Can't believe this! even private schools won't give me private scholarships!

Emiko,

That was what I told you in my previous posts.... now you know...
You can qualify for in-state tuition in California ONLY if:

1. Attend high school in California for three or more years;
2. Graduate from a California high school or pass the GED; and
3. File an affidavit with the college or university stating that the student has applied for a lawful immigration status or will apply as soon as the student is eligible to do so.

So if you have only lived in CA for 2 years... or went to high school for 2 years... that would unqualify you. YOU MUST HAVE 3 years of in-state high school and gradudate from a CA high school.
The State Universities will ask you for transcripts from your high school to prove this 3 year rule to put you in the AB540, they are required by law to have all that...
Very few UCs consider/apply this law/legislation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plans

My plans
1. If get accepted to UCB, I will go, no matter what
2. If not, I will go to CCSF and transfer later so I save money...a little bit i guess

However, my teacher told me that he would help me by calling the university to qualify me for in-state tuition, even though i have only 2 years in state. I dont know if it will work but right now i just feel like "wotever" I'm pretty sure im going to city college

i don't even know if they r gonna accept me due to my visa status
mine is B1 with expired i-94 :(

but thanks everyone for helping me
Thank you so much :eek:

Oh

my aunt told me to marry a US citizen so I would shut up
but i dont want to gosh! i have to marry someone i barely know...hell no
and im also too young
however, for in-state tuition, job, opportunities, freedom, and green card...who knows
what should i do?

will i qualify for the DREAM ACT if im asian? thats stupid question but i really wonder if im the only undocumented asian here

i really wanna work and drive and ...become legal

emiko said:
my aunt told me to marry a US citizen so I would shut up
but i dont want to gosh! i have to marry someone i barely know...hell no
and im also too young
however, for in-state tuition, job, opportunities, freedom, and green card...who knows
what should i do?

will i qualify for the DREAM ACT if im asian? thats stupid question but i really wonder if im the only undocumented asian here

i really wanna work and drive and ...become legal

many of us here want to work and drive and definitley become legal... i'm sorry that you're going through such a difficult time, i felt the same during my senior year. i ended up going to a community college and claimed as a usc (really bad i know, i wanna change my claim i'm scared i'll get in trouble). its good that you're telling your teachers and that they're helping you out. unfortunately i think in order to qualify for the DREAM ACT you would have had to be here for 5 years or so (i'm not quite sure).

if worse comes to worse and you get in UCB, but can't pay for it or they won't admit you since you are out of status, i think you'll have a year to keep your UCB admission valid. in case things change in a year, you'll be able to go to UCB.

good luck! and please keep us updated with your situation. =)

also

also, do you have any paperwork in progress right now for ins? if you do, maybe it will help your situation with UCB. ...just an idea

hopeless girl

What is a USC anyway? I know that USC is University of Southern California though...:)

There were 3 reasons why i came to SF, usa
1) My health problems
2) My family problems
3) To get better education

My aunt told me to move here. All of my family members (my mom's side) here are US citizens, however, my mom is the only person who is not a US citizen. So first my aunt was gonna apply for green card but my mom didn't want to stay here. She wanted to go back to her home, but i didn't want to. So my aunt was gonna adopt me but she later found out i had to be 14 years old or younger (I was 15 at that time). Then she applied student visa for me so i could stay but it was denied. I didn't leave since then but my mom left before i-94 expired. I lived here with my cousins but gosh! it's like im on my own. I take care of myself, cook my own food, make my own appointment with doctors and dentists. My cousins never actually look after me...at all. And they don't even know how sad i am for not having a green card or any paper work. They are all US citizens and so they take it for granted. Also, they told me they couldn't apply for green card for me because it has to be through my mom and then me.

I don't have any paper work...i guess...with all reasons i've said above
however, my visa is a 10 year B1 but the i-94 has expired long time ago
I actually don't know anything about visa, immigration stuff though

but is it true that if im out of status, the university won't accept me?
what do i do next if the universities don't accept me?

:confused:

Re:

emiko said:
What is a USC anyway? I know that USC is University of Southern California though...:)

There were 3 reasons why i came to SF, usa
1) My health problems
2) My family problems
3) To get better education

My aunt told me to move here. All of my family members (my mom's side) here are US citizens, however, my mom is the only person who is not a US citizen. So first my aunt was gonna apply for green card but my mom didn't want to stay here. She wanted to go back to her home, but i didn't want to. So my aunt was gonna adopt me but she later found out i had to be 14 years old or younger (I was 15 at that time). Then she applied student visa for me so i could stay but it was denied. I didn't leave since then but my mom left before i-94 expired. I lived here with my cousins but gosh! it's like im on my own. I take care of myself, cook my own food, make my own appointment with doctors and dentists. My cousins never actually look after me...at all. And they don't even know how sad i am for not having a green card or any paper work. They are all US citizens and so they take it for granted. Also, they told me they couldn't apply for green card for me because it has to be through my mom and then me.

I don't have any paper work...i guess...with all reasons i've said above
however, my visa is a 10 year B1 but the i-94 has expired long time ago
I actually don't know anything about visa, immigration stuff though

but is it true that if im out of status, the university won't accept me?
what do i do next if the universities don't accept me?

:confused:

Emiko,

The universities will accept you. They can not deny admission based on immigration status. However, if you do get admited you will have to pay as a "out of state" tuition. In other words, you will have to pay as an international student.

If they don't accept you, then it would not be because of you immigration status, but for academic reasons. Did you apply to any State Universities?
Or you only applied to UC?

Emiko,

We use USC as (United States Citizen) it also means the University of Southern California. Instead of typing the three words we just type USC.

ccordova624 said:
Emiko,
Did you apply to any State Universities?
Or you only applied to UC?

I didn't apply to any state universities bcoz i didn't qualify for the fee waiver and also i'd rather go to city college and transfer to UC than go straight to state schools.

Yet going to CCSF is still expensive to me.

chris_lost said:
Emiko,

We use USC as (United States Citizen) it also means the University of Southern California. Instead of typing the three words we just type USC.

Hey thanks Chirst_lost

F1 student visa

Emiko, you can apply for F1 visa (student visa) you are not eligible for FAFSA. The Inquisitor is trying to confuse you.i dont know why he does that. if he does'nt know , he should not misguide you. there is no FAFSA score anywhere.
but the ccordova624 is the right person guiding you in a right way.
Go to the any one of the financial aid offices and ask for Form I-20.student visa form.and try to file as quick as possible. because you need to file in advance, at least 6 months before the admission. under this category you will be eligible for a campus job. but the salary will go to the tuition fee a/c. you will not get a single penny out of it.because you have to pay international student fee( double the resident fee).you can work out side the campus but under the table. you can spend that money for your own living.
my son is studying in a college under H4 visa. he has no SSN. so he could not apply for FAFSA. he is not even eligible for any scholarships either. so we parents are paying full fees, but resident fees. he is eligible for the resident fee, since he stayed here more than two years legally undr H4 visa.
So dont dely for applying it. hurry up.they dont care you are legal or illegal.
infact it is good for you if you apply for I-20 you will become legal. so do it immediately.
Jc-gc

jc-gc said:
Emiko, you can apply for F1 visa (student visa) you are not eligible for FAFSA. The Inquisitor is trying to confuse you.i dont know why he does that. if he does'nt know , he should not misguide you. there is no FAFSA score anywhere.
but the ccordova624 is the right person guiding you in a right way.
Go to the any one of the financial aid offices and ask for Form I-20.student visa form.and try to file as quick as possible. because you need to file in advance, at least 6 months before the admission. under this category you will be eligible for a campus job. but the salary will go to the tuition fee a/c. you will not get a single penny out of it.because you have to pay international student fee( double the resident fee).you can work out side the campus but under the table. you can spend that money for your own living.
my son is studying in a college under H4 visa. he has no SSN. so he could not apply for FAFSA. he is not even eligible for any scholarships either. so we parents are paying full fees, but resident fees. he is eligible for the resident fee, since he stayed here more than two years legally undr H4 visa.
So dont dely for applying it. hurry up.they dont care you are legal or illegal.
infact it is good for you if you apply for I-20 you will become legal. so do it immediately.
Jc-gc

JC-GC... "you are kind of right"...

Let see... I-20 are given by the "International Student Office" of the college.
After he gets his I-20 (which, before they give to him, he will have to prove that he or someone close to him has enough money to pay for the internationa student fees) he will have to file with CIS for a student visa withing the USA. (Which may or may not be approve it)

If he is lucky enough and gets approve... he will be able to attend college legally and get a SSN to work in campus...
The works in campus are all LESS THAN 20 hours per week paying the minimum wage... some they pay up to $13/hr in CA.... In summer he can work 40 hours+ if they are openings...
HOWEVER.... the money that he will make it would not be enough to pay for "internationa student fees"
As an internationa student he will have to be full time student (12 units) Let say he goes to a Junior College. 12 units @ 196per unit is = $2352 per semester... plus books plus other expense.... now working 20 hours per week @ $8 will not make him enough money to pay his tuition and other expenses... unless he works under the table...

Your son is in a H4 visa which entitles him for CA residency after 2 years... F1 students are never elegible for CA or any state residency...

The good thing is that F1 can then led you to work permit and later on Green Card...

Ohio

ccordova624 said:
JC-GC... "you are kind of right"...

Let see... I-20 are given by the "International Student Office" of the college.
After he gets his I-20 (which, before they give to him, he will have to prove that he or someone close to him has enough money to pay for the internationa student fees) he will have to file with CIS for a student visa withing the USA. (Which may or may not be approve it)

If he is lucky enough and gets approve... he will be able to attend college legally and get a SSN to work in campus...
The works in campus are all LESS THAN 20 hours per week paying the minimum wage... some they pay up to $13/hr in CA.... In summer he can work 40 hours+ if they are openings...
HOWEVER.... the money that he will make it would not be enough to pay for "internationa student fees"
As an internationa student he will have to be full time student (12 units) Let say he goes to a Junior College. 12 units @ 196per unit is = $2352 per semester... plus books plus other expense.... now working 20 hours per week @ $8 will not make him enough money to pay his tuition and other expenses... unless he works under the table...

Your son is in a H4 visa which entitles him for CA residency after 2 years... F1 students are never elegible for CA or any state residency...

The good thing is that F1 can then led you to work permit and later on Green Card...
thanks ccordova624, i dont know about CA ,we are at OHIO. me and my son are dependents (H4) under H1 visa.we applied for GC -2003 under EB3 category. we completed LC and I-140 and waiting for visa numbers to open.we are eagarly waiting for the immigration reform bill at the senate to come on 27th of this month.
jc-gc

illegal immigrant can go to public school

emiko said:
Hey thanks Chirst_lost

emiko here is another solution for you. read the foxnews web page stated below.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

States Grapple With In-State Tuition for Illegal Immigrants
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,186876,00.html

For most teenagers, going to college is part of the American dream. But the cost of fulfilling that dream has become a source of controversy, as illegal immigrants sometimes pay less than U.S. citizens to attend the same college.

Critics of educational price breaks for illegal immigrants argue that many Americans can't afford to go to college and that these .....
------------------------------------------------------------------
Jc-gc

Originally Posted by TheInquisitor
i heard once that one could simply leave the social box empty and just get the score. then give the score to the school. let us know cccordova if this is possible or not. or if it is still the case.

Hi TheInquisitor,
That used to be possible, but know it is almost imposible to do

Hey I'm a girl

and I used to apply for F1 but it was denied. My aunt told me to forget about I-20 coz it won't work. even though i got i-20 i have to go back to my country and apply for F1 which i believe i will not be eligible since i have overstayed my B visa

I have just known that i got accepted to USF and UCSC
rejected by UCLA though
I don't know if im going there coz i have to pay full tuition with no financial aid to both schools (very expensive to me)
I might go to UCCSF
University of City College of San Francisco ...lol... :p :D

Also I gave up on Dominican University. Just like ccordova624 said, they sent me a letter asking for bank statement, copy of passport photo page, and declaration of financial support. They want me to be on F1 visa and I actually can't with reasons i've said above...