Expedited Passport

AND oh...the cruelest thing of all, when I checked my online application status with USCIS using my receipt number today - it still says my case is PENDING at the Vermont office - - - - - talk about bureacracy and misinformation!

08/29/2007 : Oath Completed
08/30/2007 : Applied Expedited Passport
09/10/2007 : Status changed to complete and passport mailed.

For myself,wife and our new born.

Hope this is helpful.

Goodluck guys

Received all three passports by US priority mail today.

Good luck everybody

08/09- Applied Expedited passport plus 2 ways overnight delivery
09/17 -Trip plan to China
09/13 - Still being proccessed after 5 weeks long

Can you take an appointment and go to the regional passport office and expedite your application?
Very strange that with times back to "normal" your application is still languishing.
08/09- Applied Expedited passport plus 2 ways overnight delivery
09/17 -Trip plan to China
09/13 - Still being proccessed after 5 weeks long

lngo07,

I quite don't get it. Do you have tickets in hand for your trip to China? Is this a date you would have preferred to travel? I think we have mentioned a number of times that an appointment at a passport office is probably your best choice. Other than that if you haven't bought the tickets you'll probably have to wait until another time for your trip. Anyway, my bet is that your passport is stuck in some background check.

For whatever is worth I still haven't received my certificate of naturalization. I don't want to panic yet ;) I have read posts that it sometimes takes up to 12 days after stamp is printed on the envelope, that should give me another five days.

Well it looks like my son's passport is stuck too...it's now day 19 and his status still shows normal processing and not expedite. :(

I remember you didn't send your son's green card with his application. I wonder if the delay has to do with it.

This is kind of never ending when we're not stuck in one thing we're stuck on another. I am stuck with not having received my naturalization certificate and not getting the check for the N-600 cashed when I sent the application in August 23d.

I don't think it's because of the Green card, I checked with several friends and none of them were asked to submit GC's for their children .

But who knows ? anything is possible when you deal with a gov't agency.

The only thing I can think of is that my wife's name was misspelled on his BC. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that's not going to be an issue.

My naturalization certificate arrived today in the mail. Big envelope, not folded. Mailed Sept. 6th (2 days after passport issue date) from New Orleans. It arrived 4 days later than my wife's, which had the same stamp date of Sept 6th. This completes my expedited passport journey.

Congrats ! I gather you are not from India so no OCI for you, which means this is the end of your journey at least on these boards.

Take care my friend :)

Yes, you're right, no OCI for me. This is the official end of my journey in this thread. However, I applied N-600 for my child, so I still have a while more to go with USCIS. By the way, today I noticed the check for the N-600 was cashed. Three weeks after I mailed the application.

I'm planning to stick around this thread. I guess after a while my experiences won't be as relevant and I'll probably ride my horse towards the sunset ;)

I have to say I was a bit worried about the naturalization certificate taking so long to arrive (compared to my wife's). I even went back on the board to see whether someone had lost a certificate in the mail. It's funny I stumbled upon a post from myself from April or so, saying that I couldn't remember anyone posting that they had lost the certificate in the mail during the passport processing. That put my mind a bit more at ease :)

dandan123, I hope your son's passport arrives soon.

Well Huracan, while your melon is still fresh from your recent experience, can you please attempt to answer these two questions that I posted a week ago but no one answered?

1. If I apply for a US passport at the ceremony, is it true that I don't need to hand in my US citizenship certificate?
2. If I do go with submitting my passport application at the ceremony, will they accept expedited service with both ways overnight, at the ceremony?
3. Is there a limit of 120 days after interview to conduct the oath ceremony? If not, I would be keen to postpone my ceremony after my return from my overseas trip to avoid all this expedited hassle.

Yes, you're right, no OCI for me. This is the official end of my journey in this thread. However, I applied N-600 for my child, so I still have a while more to go with USCIS. By the way, today I noticed the check for the N-600 was cashed. Three weeks after I mailed the application.

I'm planning to stick around this thread. I guess after a while my experiences won't be as relevant and I'll probably ride my horse towards the sunset ;)

I have to say I was a bit worried about the naturalization certificate taking so long to arrive (compared to my wife's). I even went back on the board to see whether someone had lost a certificate in the mail. It's funny I stumbled upon a post from myself from April or so, saying that I couldn't remember anyone posting that they had lost the certificate in the mail during the passport processing. That put my mind a bit more at ease :)

dandan123, I hope your son's passport arrives soon.

Well Huracan, while your melon is still fresh from your recent experience, can you please attempt to answer these two questions that I posted a week ago but no one answered?

Not Huracan but hope I can answer some of these for you.

1. If I apply for a US passport at the ceremony, is it true that I don't need to hand in my US citizenship certificate?

I think they will still need the original naturalization certificate. I haven't seen any posts that have indicated otherwise. Most people apply at a post office after the ceremony so that they have a chance to make some copies of the certificate for their own records.

2. If I do go with submitting my passport application at the ceremony, will they accept expedited service with both ways overnight, at the ceremony?

I don't see why not. Of course I applied at the post office later in the day and not at the ceremony but I would think they would have the same options available at the ceremony.

3. Is there a limit of 120 days after interview to conduct the oath ceremony? If not, I would be keen to postpone my ceremony after my return from my overseas trip to avoid all this expedited hassle.

How soon after the oath ceremony do you need to travel ? If you have proof of travel and if a passport agency is within driving distance you may want to get an expedited passport that way. That way you may get your passport within a day or two.

As you may see on this thread some people didn't exactly get expedited service even when they asked for expedited processing (my passport took nearly 4 weeks) and so going to the agency is a better way of ensuring that you get your passport on time.

Another more expensive option is going through a rush passport service (third party). Some people have had good experiences with that too. I don't know of a 120 day limit but it is generally not considered advisable to postpone your interview or oath date if you can avoid it (never know how long it may take them to schedule you for another oath ceremony).

-KM

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi kagemusha,

For 1 and 2 I don't have much to say as I didn't have the opportunity of applying for my passport at the ceremony.

For 3 I think what you refer to is that they are supposed to adjudicate your application within 120 days after the interview. This applies to people who get stuck in some case of name or background check. This is happening much less now because the interviews are scheduled after the name check is passed. However, there have been cases of people getting stuck in some mysterious background checks after the interview. Be optimistic, it is likely you'll get your oath about a month after your interview, a couple of months at most. By the way, the 120 days is something that the USCIS ignores day in and day out. The only way that it seems to be honored is when people sue USCIS for this.

My 2 cents.

Hi Kagemusha and Huracan

Appreciate your advice on the passport issue.
Hopefully around the end of year when I apply for a US passport there will not be second peak rush of passport applications when the entry requirements for land crossing comes in to effect, from the first of January 2008.

08/09 - Applied Expedited Passport plus 2 ways overnight delivery
09/17 - I still have not received my expedited passport after waiting for more than 5 weeks long. I had no choice to postpone my trip out of country on Sat.
Thanks for all your support. We will write a letter to get the refund of $60 back since we miss the trip on 09/17. Also, my expedited passport is not being completed between 2 to 4 weeks as it is listed as National Passport Center website.
Now, we are still waiting for my expedited passport to arrive. Hope, I can receive it by this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for updating. I thought you would be in China by now. Any reason as to why you did not take an appointment at the regional agency and escalate your request to same day service? Also, did you attach your itinerary with the initial request and also write the date of travel on your application? I think along with a request of the expedite fee, you should write the amount of money you lost because of DOS not performing the expedited service on your application.

08/09 - Applied Expedited Passport plus 2 ways overnight delivery
09/17 - I still have not received my expedited passport after waiting for more than 5 weeks long. I had no choice to postpone my trip out of country on Sat.
Thanks for all your support. We will write a letter to get the refund of $60 back since we miss the trip on 09/17. Also, my expedited passport is not being completed between 2 to 4 weeks as it is listed as National Passport Center website.
Now, we are still waiting for my expedited passport to arrive. Hope, I can receive it by this week.