Expedited Passport

Passport received

I received my passport today, just one day shy of 4 weeks since the expedited application. It is not a passport with a chip, just regular (designed in a very patriotic spirit) passport.

Hi!

Congrats! Don't forget SSN change of status! Nice job I see your process required lots of patience.

Best Regards,
-Jedi.Knight:)

Congratulations on receiving your passport. I am shocked to hear that with all the high demand on passports they are still issuing old style passports. I would have thought that all of them had been used by now. I wonder if they are still printing them, or it is just some leftovers in some of the issuing agencies.

I received my passport today, just one day shy of 4 weeks since the expedited application. It is not a passport with a chip, just regular (designed in a very patriotic spirit) passport.

Shocking! Are you going to complain to the passport issuing agency for not getting the E-Passport?

FP Completed.................Mid OCT 06
IL Received....................APR 27th 07
IL Scheduled..................JUN 7th 07
N 445 Received...............JUN 13th 07
Oath Ceremony..............JUL 10th 07 :cool: *** US Citizen *** :cool:
SSA Change Of Status.....JUL 10th 07 "Took 5 Mins"
Passport Applied.............JUL 10th 07 Overnight + Expedited $190

Passport Received...........?¿?¿?¿?

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Last edited by a moderator:
The conventional passports are as valid as the e passports, so I don't know what the fuss is all about. I guess they have a few left that they are not throwing away, why waste them imo.

Um....sounds like you do have an e-passport. The new redesigned colorful, filled with patriotism passport has an electronic chip in it. The chip's not visible. It's hidden in the back cover.

If you have a passport with the state seals in the visa pages, then you have the old passport.

Does your passport have a little symbol on the bottom of the front cover under the "United States of America?"

I'd be incredibly surprised if you did not actually get an e-passport.

I agree, the "designed in a very patriotic spirit" seemed to indicate an e-passport.

edgrapes if your passport looks like this, then it is an electronic passport

http://travel.state.gov/passport/eppt/epptnew_2807.html

I also agree that even if it is an old style passport it should still be fine. I have even defended this point before. I was just in disbelief that after almost one year of e-passport they could still have some old blank passports around, specially with the increased demand. I wouldn't have expected them to keep such a large inventory of old passports :) To be honest, this hasn't been very transparent, they don't say if they still manufacture old style passports or not. It would have been more clear if they said, from such day on all passports are going to be electronic. On the other hand I appreciate the savings of using up old inventory.

Guys!

I am sorry for the confusion, but my passport does look like the one in the link below. I didn't know that the chip is hidden inside, I thought it will be visible, like one of the AMEX cards I have. This passport is really cool and, to be honest with you, I wouldn't even care if it was the old style passport. What matters is what it represents, and after my over 2 years long citizenship adventure I am glad to finally be in posession of one. In anyway, thank you all for your kind words and, please, forgive me for the fuss I caused. Good luck all.

I agree, the "designed in a very patriotic spirit" seemed to indicate an e-passport.

edgrapes if your passport looks like this, then it is an electronic passport

http://travel.state.gov/passport/eppt/epptnew_2807.html

I also agree that even if it is an old style passport it should still be fine. I have even defended this point before. I was just in disbelief that after almost one year of e-passport they could still have some old blank passports around, specially with the increased demand. I wouldn't have expected them to keep such a large inventory of old passports :) To be honest, this hasn't been very transparent, they don't say if they still manufacture old style passports or not. It would have been more clear if they said, from such day on all passports are going to be electronic. On the other hand I appreciate the savings of using up old inventory.

USPS Status

edgrapes thanx for clarification
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

USPS Status: Delivered

> Your item was delivered at 11:00 AM on July 11, 2007 in PHILADELPHIA, PA 19101 to PUBLIC SECTOR EXP.
The item was signed for by M K.

Timeline so far -

Expedited passport applied - 07/02
Online Status appeared - 07/06 (listed as routine service)
Status changed to expedited service - 07/13

-KM

Passport Timeline

PP applied: 6/21 (Expedited both ways)
Checks cashed: 6/25
Showed Online status as 'Regular': 6/25
Online Message Changed to 'Expedite': 6/26
Approved : 7/13
Received: 7/14 (Today)
Took a total of 22 days.

Just curious, did you get the regular passport or the new e-passport?

Experiences of applying for expedited passport at Oath Ceremony

We will be at Naturalization oath ceremony at San Jose on Jul 18th.

We are scheduled to travel to Canada on August 14th. Hence, we intend to apply for expedited passport.

Is it better to apply for expedited passport at Oath Ceremony OR to apply for expedited passport at local Post Office?

If suggestion is to apply at Oath Ceremony, what documents & form of payment needs to be taken to oath ceremony.

Thanks!

no difference

All passports get processed at processing agency..so no difference in processing times whether you apply after Nat. or go to a post office after couple of hours.

Same documents - Check book, Nat. Cert., 2 passport photos and thats about it. Assuming u will have drivers licence, not sure if they asked me for that. I think they did.

Alien Registration Number

PunjabDaPuttar, Thanks for the information.

What needs to be entered in Alien Registration Number field of passport application? Is it the number on Naturalization Certificate?

PunjabDaPuttar, Thanks for the information.

What needs to be entered in Alien Registration Number field of passport application? Is it the number on Naturalization Certificate?

I entered my Alien #, Example > A 000 000 000. The # can be found on your green card and or naturalization certificate. It'll stay w/you just like social security number even if when you become citizen.

Hi5 is right

A# stays the same. You Naturalization Cert. contains both A# and Certificate #. Even after u become citizen, A# stays the same and all your Immigration related files are associated with this number. This is the basis of your citizenship and hence very important.

My advice is to make a copy of your natz. certificate before you apply for passport, you will need to send the original cert. with the passport application.

If you cannot make a copy at/near the oath ceremony, do not apply there, apply at USPS after you make a copy, it is legal to make copies of your natz. certificate, you may hear that it is illegal to make copies by the people that are accepting passport applications but that is not entirely true, check out the following link for details
http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html

We will be at Naturalization oath ceremony at San Jose on Jul 18th.

We are scheduled to travel to Canada on August 14th. Hence, we intend to apply for expedited passport.

Is it better to apply for expedited passport at Oath Ceremony OR to apply for expedited passport at local Post Office?

If suggestion is to apply at Oath Ceremony, what documents & form of payment needs to be taken to oath ceremony.

Thanks!