Employment based immigration backlog petition

we must be ahead of TPS and religious works petition. :)

I'll work on the appendix tonight. I don't think we need
a flawless petition, the main thing is to get this out as soon
as possible, so our problems will be addressed. I doubt
they will read it carefully, possibly they will arrange a conference call, at that time we can ask detail questions.

We need get it done this month, otherwise backlogs are built up quickly. On the other hand, I think after Sep, it will get better, probably better than the petition efffect. The main thing is to get 20 officers work on 485 instead of 5.

Guys

Thanks a lot for what you are doing. Please don't be disappointed in the small number of participants. Many of us just don't have enough knowledge to add anything to the petition, except maybe some information.

I'm sure I speak for a lot of people as I say: I greatly appreciate your efforts and time. Again, thanks!!!!

Hi dengdeng,
I don't think we are running against time. The content of the petition is extremely important. Otherwise this petition will meet the same fate as other petitions posted here earlier. Sending a petition is not as important as doing the whole thing correctly. Please remember that this letter is not meant for just Prakash Khatri. He will just read and it pass it to other officials for action.
We can meet/talk to Mr Khatri when we submit petition, but we can't meet or talk to all the BCIS officials who are responsible for the actual operations / actions. So the only way we can make our true voice heard across BCIS is through a good letter. Once we submit this letter, we should step into stage2 where we should think about how to do the follow up ?
For submitting the petition itself, we have to think about lot of logistics. Do we want to submit this petition through the law offices of Rajiv (or) do we want to submit ourselves by taking an appointment with Mr Khatri ? Where do we want to collect the signaturees ? Is it just on this website (or) any other means ?
How are we going to make sure that this petition is not going to meet the same fate as the previous petitions ? We should all discuss these issues.
Any suggestions are most welcome.

okay a version of appendix C. I'll do more modification tonight.

Appendix C: Various causes for 485 petition backlog .

1: Migration and reorganization of INS into BCIS. Merge INS into the Department of Homeland security is a complicated and lengthy process. This has resulted in the backlog delays currently building up.

2: Lack of resources. The government has not allocated adequate funds and human resources to eliminate the backlogs. The American competitiveness in 21st century(AC21) act was passed two year ago by the congress and the President, in hope that the normal processing time of EB based 485 petition will be decreased to 180 days. However, the number of adjudicators at each service center is still limited, processing speed and efficiency has not been improved, and even worse, the current processing time at four service centers have surpassed normal 540 days to an unacceptable waiting period, which increases each month.

3: The EB I-485 applications are at the lowest priority compared to other types of cases. Employee based I-485 applicants all contribute greatly to the government by paying federal, state and social security taxes. Corporate america also needs the infusion of creativity and labor skills from foreign workers. However, when the government prioritize case processing, EB-based petitions falls to the lowest level without a convincing reason. This is unfair and untolerable to the applicants. The whole process of adjustment of pernament residency is extremely lengthy by itself, not mention other types of cases has to be expedited for non-establised reasons. We would welcome BCIS service centers to make favorable consideration to expedite EB I-485 cases in the very near furture, particularly those have been delayed longer than normal processing time.

4: Multiple agency security checks is a black hole. BCIS claims the main reason for backlog built up is security check. However, public are never informed of the standard operating procedure of security check. We would like to be informed of how security check is performed on a case, and why it has to be lengthy and obscure as right now. Recently, FBI has testified before congress that the normal processing time of a name check ranges from 3 days to 3 months. With 85% cases in 3 days, 10% in one month, and 5% in three months. However, BCIS backlog is far longer than three months. We would like to have an explanation of where is the actual bottleneck of backlog.

5: Zero Tolerance policy. Under the strict enforcement of Zero tolerance policy after Sep 11, it has become safer for BCIS adjudicators to deny benefits, even in cases that have been found approvable in the past. This “zero tolerance” policy has also led to an increased focus on whether the applicant/beneficiary has always maintained a valid nonimmigrant status, with BCIS now routinely requesting such proof in order to approve adjustment of status request. Exacerbating the frustration with these new BCIS interpretations and policies, the backlog delays in adjudications of all petition types inevitably increase. As part of the American society, we strongly wish this nation safe and prosperous as ever, but we also hope this mentality change won't affect our pernament residency petition normal processing and bring hardships to our daily lives. We don't want to be the ultimate victims of terrorism as we're always the strong supporters of american government.

6: Inefficient and unimproved operating procedure. BCIS has not improved the standard operating procedure after the migration as it promised. As the backlog building up, many EB-based I-485 petitions have suffered 15 months finger print expiration. However, BCIS is inconsistent in sending out second Finger print notice to the applicants. Some applicants have never received the notice, some primary applicant received the notice but not the beneficary applicants, some received the notice and completed the finger print but have been waiting ever since. Applications which were issued Request for Further Evidence were not processed immediately, instead, some applicants have complained they have waited for over 5 months after they submitted the missing materials, even worse, some even got case transferred to local offices even though their cases qualified for Interview Waiver Criteria. We would suggest BCIS to take some positive actions to efficiently handle stagnant second finger print and RFE cases. Processing cases not based on chronologic order is not fair and will prolong the whole backlog.

7: Termination of service center customer service. In June, BCIS has terminated all customer services at four service centers. Since then, we are not able to obtain useful information about our cases. The NCSC customer service deterioates from the previous one in an unacceptable way. None of the representatives who answer the phone have knowledge about immigration policies, and they can not provide any information but repeating the online case status to us. If this service is not useful to the public, BCIS should consider automating the customer service, allowing applicants fill a request form online and submit to service centers. However, we strongly request BCIS restore the previous services or at least expand the online case status to more details. Applicants and their legal representatives should have the right to obtain case status information if the case has been delayed longer than normal processing time.

Last edited by a moderator:
comment

Originally posted by dengdeng
okay a version of appendix C. I'll do more modification tonight.

Appendix C: Various causes for 485 petition backlog .

1: Migration and reorganization of INS into BCIS. Merge INS into the Department of Homeland security is a complicated and lengthy process. This has resulted in the backlog delays currently building up.

2: Lack of resources. The government has not allocated adequate funds and human resources to eliminate the backlogs. The American competitiveness in 21st century(AC21) act was passed two year ago by the congress and the President, in hope that the normal processing time of EB based 485 petition will be decreased to 180 days. However, the number of adjudicators at each service center is still limited, processing speed and efficiency has not been improved, and even worse, the current processing time at four service centers have surpassed normal 540 days to an unacceptable waiting period, which increases each month.

3: The EB I-485 applications are at the lowest priority compared to other types of cases. Employee based I-485 applicants all contribute greatly to the government by paying federal, state and social security taxes. Corporate america also needs the infusion of creativity and labor skills from foreign workers. However, when the government prioritize case processing, EB-based petitions falls to the lowest level without a convincing reason. This is unfair and untolerable to the applicants. The whole process of adjustment of pernament residency is extremely lengthy by itself, not mention other types of cases has to be expedited for non-establised reasons. We would welcome BCIS service centers to make favorable consideration to expedite EB I-485 cases in the very near furture, particularly those have been delayed longer than normal processing time.

4: Multiple agency security checks is a black hole. BCIS claims the main reason for backlog built up is security check. However, public are never informed of the standard operating procedure of security check. We would like to be informed of how security check is performed on a case, and why it has to be lengthy and obscure as right now. Recently, FBI has testified before congress that the normal processing time of a name check ranges from 3 days to 3 months. With 85% cases in 3 days, 10% in one month, and 5% in three months. However, BCIS backlog is far longer than three months. We would like to have an explanation of where is the actual bottleneck of backlog.

5: Zero Tolerance policy. Under the strict enforcement of Zero tolerance policy after Sep 11, it has become safer for BCIS adjudicators to deny benefits, even in cases that have been found approvable in the past. This “zero tolerance” policy has also led to an increased focus on whether the applicant/beneficiary has always maintained a valid nonimmigrant status, with BCIS now routinely requesting such proof in order to approve adjustment of status request. Exacerbating the frustration with these new BCIS interpretations and policies, the backlog delays in adjudications of all petition types inevitably increase. As part of the American society, we strongly wish this nation safe and prosperous as ever, but we also hope this mentality change won't affect our pernament residency petition normal processing and bring hardships to our daily lives. We don't want to be the ultimate victims of terrorism as we're always the strong supporters of american government.

6: Inefficient and unimproved operating procedure. BCIS has not improved the standard operating procedure after the migration as it promised. As the backlog building up, many EB-based I-485 petitions have suffered 15 months finger print expiration. However, BCIS is inconsistent in sending out second Finger print notice to the applicants. Some applicants have never received the notice, some primary applicant received the notice but not the beneficary applicants, some received the notice and completed the finger print but have been waiting ever since. Applications which were issued Request for Further Evidence were not processed immediately, instead, some applicants have complained they have waited for over 5 months after they submitted the missing materials, even worse, some even got case transferred to local offices even though their cases qualified for Interview Waiver Criteria. We would suggest BCIS to take some positive actions to efficiently handle stagnant second finger print and RFE cases. Processing cases not based on chronologic order is not fair and will prolong the whole backlog.

7: Termination of service center customer service. In June, BCIS has terminated all customer services at four service centers. Since then, we are not able to obtain useful information about our cases. The NCSC customer service deterioates from the previous one in an unacceptable way. None of the representatives who answer the phone have knowledge about immigration policies, and they can not provide any information but repeating the online case status to us. If this service is not useful to the public, BCIS should consider automating the customer service, allowing applicants fill a request form online and submit to service centers. However, we strongly request BCIS restore the previous services or at least expand the online case status to more details. Applicants and their legal representatives should have the right to obtain case status information if the case has been delayed longer than normal processing time.

dengdeng,
how about modifying "normal 540 days"..it is only normal to them and not to us.

Originally posted by dsatish
Hi dengdeng,
I don't think we are running against time. The content of the petition is extremely important. Otherwise this petition will meet the same fate as other petitions posted here earlier. Sending a petition is not as important as doing the whole thing correctly. Please remember that this letter is not meant for just Prakash Khatri. He will just read and it pass it to other officials for action.
We can meet/talk to Mr Khatri when we submit petition, but we can't meet or talk to all the BCIS officials who are responsible for the actual operations / actions. So the only way we can make our true voice heard across BCIS is through a good letter. Once we submit this letter, we should step into stage2 where we should think about how to do the follow up ?
For submitting the petition itself, we have to think about lot of logistics. Do we want to submit this petition through the law offices of Rajiv (or) do we want to submit ourselves by taking an appointment with Mr Khatri ? Where do we want to collect the signaturees ? Is it just on this website (or) any other means ?
How are we going to make sure that this petition is not going to meet the same fate as the previous petitions ? We should all discuss these issues.

dsatish,
we can discuss all these after we hopefully have a final version.
1)how to maybe incorporate other websites/lawyers.
2)how to have a meaningful campaign, maybe using the media (TV, Press, Radio, institutions, congress, government,etc).
3)how to reach as many as possible of the 300,000 EB I-485 applicants.

Incidently, I posted a case of asylees (BCIS is also working those cases). We MAY have legal grounds to follow up with a other means. A good source to maybe get SUPPORT as well as other useful links is "www.ailf.org". Maybe these people can help and guide us.

letter

Originally posted by sai-2367
I agree with much of what you have said.
Just keep in mind that Prakash being a new guy can easily get overwhelmed with letters demanding a lot. Also the idea is to get it out soon, as Rajiv will review it anyway for accuracy and context.

Thanks

-sai

sai-2367, dsatish,

Let us not be too much concerned with sweetness. This is a group with a lot of angry people who have and are being treated unfairly, unjustly and most probably illegally! I will examine the last comment. It looks like BCIS is not allocating/ approving a minimum number of EB I-485 applications per the last three fiscal years.
The letter should be frank. It should explain that the treatment we are getting is unacceptable. Religious, Asylees, TPS, Somalis, Liberians, Guatemalans, Nicaraguas, nurses, illegals, illegals below sixteen, guest workers (some congressmen are in Mexico!), about twenty bills in Congress and no mention of US.
It should also ask for the establishment of a DIALOGUE (one of the proposed goals of his job). This is an important point as we expect some channel to be opened and be kept open.

Re: letter

Cinta,
I agree with you. Being frank is the idea. "A squeaking wheel gets the oil". We should be firm in our statements, but at the same time it should not appear brusque.

-sai

Originally posted by cinta
sai-2367, dsatish,

Let us not be too much concerned with sweetness. This is a group with a lot of angry people who have and are being treated unfairly, unjustly and most probably illegally! I will examine the last comment. It looks like BCIS is not allocating/ approving a minimum number of EB I-485 applications per the last three fiscal years.
The letter should be frank. It should explain that the treatment we are getting is unacceptable. Religious, Asylees, TPS, Somalis, Liberians, Guatemalans, Nicaraguas, nurses, illegals, illegals below sixteen, guest workers (some congressmen are in Mexico!), about twenty bills in Congress and no mention of US.
It should also ask for the establishment of a DIALOGUE (one of the proposed goals of his job). This is an important point as we expect some channel to be opened and be kept open.

Hi Guys,
I'm back from stoneage. Hope Final petition is taking good shape.
Keep the ball rolling.

dsatish,
You have valid questions. My suggestions:-
Q) Do we want to submit this petition through the law offices of Rajiv (or) do we want to submit ourselves by taking an appointment with Mr Khatri ?

I believe Rajiv's expertise can be valuable for the content. However this should be submitted by a prominent political figure (Senator, congressmen, etc.) or a group to catch Prakash's and BCIS's attention.
For example, Bobby Jindal an American Indian running as a republican for Louisiana Gubernatorial seat can be someone to help this cause.

Q)Where do we want to collect the signaturees ? Is it just on this website (or) any other means ?
I think this website is good enough. However checking the validity of the signature can be a issue. Digital signatures are recognized by American laws, but some of us might find it a bit tedious, to obtain the signature software and signing it.

Q)How are we going to make sure that this petition is not going to meet the same fate as the previous petitions ?
As I said before, we should get a prominent political figure or a group involved.
http://www.iacfpa.org/ is another organization that I know of that can help.

-sai

Originally posted by dsatish
Hi dengdeng,

we must be ahead of TPS and religious works petition. :)

I'll work on the appendix tonight. I don't think we need
a flawless petition, the main thing is to get this out as soon
as possible, so our problems will be addressed. I doubt
they will read it carefully, possibly they will arrange a conference call, at that time we can ask detail questions.

We need get it done this month, otherwise backlogs are built up quickly. On the other hand, I think after Sep, it will get better, probably better than the petition efffect. The main thing is to get 20 officers work on 485 instead of 5.

You are right. It looks like petition preparation time will be more than EB GC processing time.
Just one line petition with the content "Employment based immigration backlog reduction request" and with 100,000 signatures might have a better response than the so called strong petition with few hundred signatures.

My suggestion

1. A simple petition is enough.

2. You are power enough. You do not need anyone outside of yoursleves to "sponsor" the petition at this time.

3. The number of signatures with specific facts on how the delays are affecting peoples' lives is the MOST important factor.

I have an idea. Everybody, if whole family is waiting GC, let whole family sign, thus we can get more signatures. :)

Let's just list some common problems in the appendix, don't write too many complaints. Rajiv what do you think?

1) Cases longer than normal processing time are not given higher priority. Some cases later as Apr/May 2002 are approved while Sep 2001 RD are still waiting for adjudication even though those cases are ready to be adjudicated.
2) Cases issued RFE, after submitted further evidence, are not processed immediately, but delayed up to 5 months without actions.
3) Cases longer than normal processing time, have not received second finger print notice even though finger print has expired for a long time. BCIS keep these cases at lowest priority.
4) Cases completed second finger print are not adjudicated in a reasonable but need wait 2 months or more from the date finger print was issued
5) No customer service to obtain useful information about a case staus.
6) TPS, religious workers cases are given higher priority, while EB based applicants have been waiting for 2 years, which is unfair.

dengdeng,
These are pretty much the issues that concern me. Could everyone please add his concerns, so that we can have the letter out for signatures.
-sai

Let's just list some common problems in the appendix, don't write too many complaints. Rajiv what do you think?

1) Cases longer than normal processing time are not given higher priority. Some cases later as Apr/May 2002 are approved while Sep 2001 RD are still waiting for adjudication even though those cases are ready to be adjudicated.

2) Cases issued RFE, after submitted further evidence, are not processed immediately, but delayed up to 5 months without actions.
3) Cases longer than normal processing time, have not received second finger print notice even though finger print has expired for a long time. BCIS keep these cases at lowest priority. The local offices should be instructed to allow for re-fingerprinting without the notice after the expiry date.
4) Cases completed second finger print are not adjudicated in a reasonable but need wait 2 months or more from the date finger print was issued
5) No customer service to obtain useful information about a case staus.
6) TPS, religious workers cases are given higher priority, while EB based applicants have been waiting for 2 years, which is unfair.

dengdeng,
Contemplating for class action law suit against BCIS is not at all bad idea but let's not delay our petition first.

Class action law suit:
1. American Immigration law foundation (AILF) was contemplating for a nationwide class action lawsuit on behalf of immigrants and their sponsors to reduce INS processing delays wayback in 1999. I don't know their current stand on this issue.

2. Class Action Lawsuit Challenging INS Rules on Advanced Degree Equivalency resulted in court order favoring class suit applicants. INS was asked to expedite their I-140 readjudication process and also applicants were allowed to file I-485 before getting the approval of I-140.

3. Nationwide class action lawsuit challenging DOL delays was filed wayback in 1999. I don't know the status of that case.

4. Heard that lot of GC applicants have sued INS demanding that their applications be processed within a reasonable amount of time. But they dropped their lawsuits when INS approved their applications.

Considering the success of some of the class action lawsuit against legacy INS, I also feel that class action lawsuit is the last remedy for BCIS actions.

AILF

Originally posted by Edison
dengdeng,
Contemplating for class action law suit against BCIS is not at all bad idea but let's not delay our petition first.

Class action law suit:
1. American Immigration law foundation (AILF) was contemplating for a nationwide class action lawsuit on behalf of immigrants and their sponsors to reduce INS processing delays wayback in 1999. I don't know their current stand on this issue.

2. Class Action Lawsuit Challenging INS Rules on Advanced Degree Equivalency resulted in court order favoring class suit applicants. INS was asked to expedite their I-140 readjudication process and also applicants were allowed to file I-485 before getting the approval of I-140.

3. Nationwide class action lawsuit challenging DOL delays was filed wayback in 1999. I don't know the status of that case.

4. Heard that lot of GC applicants have sued INS demanding that their applications be processed within a reasonable amount of time. But they dropped their lawsuits when INS approved their applications.

Considering the success of some of the class action lawsuit against legacy INS, I also feel that class action lawsuit is the last remedy for BCIS actions.

Edison,

There is currently a case pending for asylees (TPS) which I posted earlier. I think Employment based immigration has a MAXIMUM QUOTA or allocated numbers (visa numbers available, CURRENT)and I think again these numbers have not been met by BCIS for the last fiscal years - visas are lost? On this basis and also on the severe hardships - we may have a case! Cheers

I think this kind of action is just to scare BCIS and will be settled very quickly. If they don't respond to our petition this time, we'll sue them.

Why BCIS expedite cases only if there's a class action law suit.

http://www.murthy.com/UDuailfl.html

http://www.usvisanews.com/memo1058.html

http://www.rreeves.com/pub_217.htm

seems to me INS won't pay attention to any petitions without litigation, but pay attention to lawsuit only.

Look at this quote from last URL:

Accounting Office reports: "INS' goal is that the application process will be timely, consistent, fair and of high quality.' The GAO went on to note that what was considered "reasonable time' by the INS included 6 months for adjustment of status and naturalization interviews and 3 months for work authorization

While applications pile up unadjudicated for years and the INS continues to be understaffed and overworked processing time becomes anything but reasonable. The pleas for action from immigrants go unanswered. What then can an immigrant do? Who can they turn to for help?

What should an alien do when his or her application has been pending for months or even years with the Immigration Service with no adjudication in sight. Under the Federal Administrative Procedure Act federal agencies including the INS are required to adjudicate applications "within a reasonable time." It is the job of the immigrant's attorney to make sure the INS follows the law.

When the INS is not adjudicating an application within a reasonable period of time, the attorney should follow up with the INS by making phone calls and requesting in writing for the status of the case and for adjudication of the application. The applicant in this case should choose an attorney with an outstanding reputation and established relationship with his colleagues at the INS.

When these informal methods are unsuccessful, the attorney should, on the applicant's behalf, file suit in the U.S. District Court requesting that the Court order the Immigration Service to adjudicate the application. This type of lawsuit is called a Writ of Mandamus, which seeks to compel an officer or employee of the United States or agency thereof to perform a duty owed to the plaintiff. This includes the duty under the Administrative Procedure Act that requires federal agencies to render decisions on applications within a reasonable time.

This is exactly same as our complaints. No information, no updates, no way to contact service center. I think we should
ask AILA to file the lawsuit. Everybody can chip in for the expense. This is outrageous.

Lawsuit

dengdeng,

I agree. Let us have the petition first and see if any dialogue develops, otherwise we have no more options. Employment based is part of the overall immigration process eith fixed QUOTAS for it. Per category and per country. Based on the approvals for the last two years these numbers are not met!
Le us see where the already work in process by AILF is standing.