• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

Hey guys,

While paying AOS fee, how many personal check do I need to include with the package? Do I need to have two personal check one for I-485 and another for biometrics or a single check of $1010 is good?

thanks a lot.

Single check should be fine. But if more than one applicant in your package, it is generally good to send separate checks for each applicant (each 485 application).

Hi everybody,

I really need your opinian on this. Today I had an info pass, and was told that our name check was still pending, and that USCIS has requested from FBI to expedite the process. This is very different from what the interviewing officer told us. As I reported earlier, the officer told us he could not make such request. Even if they did make the request, I am not sure its going to work. That is why I talked to a lawyer. The lawyer, who is very famous in our area, told me that we should file a Mandamus (sue the USCIS). She asked for $10000 (6000 upfront 4000 after the case is approved) to do this. However, I am not sure if this is going to work either. I mean, if USCIS has already requested to expedite the case, what else can we want from them. I told her about this, but she said we should go ahead with her plan. Do you have any idea how effective this may be? Please let me know what you think, what should we do?

Am not an attorney, but this sounds to me like a rip off... If I were you I would probably get a second opinion from another attorney and see what they say...if all other requirements/documents are ok... then I would like you might still be ok....personally for me what helped the most was contacting the local office where we had our interview...try searching for phone numbers for your local office (a link was posted here a few pages ago on this thread)..and see what they say. Some others have had luck by contacting their local representative...anyways good luck...

Thank GOD for everything. You're right dv2008gh.
So did you get your GC yet? You know I received my travel documents (which are still pending online) and my EAD was approved online (but I have not received it yet).
well, just wanted to check on you and your update. It seems that I'm following your steps with a delay of a couple of days or so...
take care,

Not yet. My EAD hasn't been approved yet (doesn't matter now) and my 1 485 status was updated yesterday.

hi everybody,

i really need your opinian on this. Today i had an info pass, and was told that our name check was still pending, and that uscis has requested from fbi to expedite the process. This is very different from what the interviewing officer told us. As i reported earlier, the officer told us he could not make such request. Even if they did make the request, i am not sure its going to work. That is why i talked to a lawyer. The lawyer, who is very famous in our area, told me that we should file a mandamus (sue the uscis). She asked for $10000 (6000 upfront 4000 after the case is approved) to do this. However, i am not sure if this is going to work either. I mean, if uscis has already requested to expedite the case, what else can we want from them. I told her about this, but she said we should go ahead with her plan. Do you have any idea how effective this may be? Please let me know what you think, what should we do?

please tell me its a joke. The attorney is asking for $10,000. He/she must be kidding. Wat is he gong to do that you've not already done. His just trying to rip u off. Thats all. Ur name check has been expedited and thats all you need for now. Schedule another infopass for monday and see what they tell ya. How about contacting ur congressman as they usually have contacts at the local uscis office.
Don't u dare pay $10,000. The attorney is not going to do anymore than you have done. Why are people so mean. $10,000 for what? He can stick it up u know were. Thats what i would have told him. What a loser

Hi everybody,

I really need your opinian on this. Today I had an info pass, and was told that our name check was still pending, and that USCIS has requested from FBI to expedite the process. Please let me know what you think, what should we do?

Below are two links that I found helpful. My understanding is that if you keep contacting your local office asking them about your name check they will expedite it and it should get done. Now, many waited for that name check to clear and missed the deadline. No one can predict what will happen but personally, I think 10K is a rip off! As suggested, get a second opinion and try calling different numbers (what helped me was trying different extensions). schedule another infopass and keep trying. Time is running out so make the right decision that you feel comfortable with. Good luck
I hope this helps...
http://immigrationroad.com/green-card/contact-uscis-fbi.php
http://www.immigrationportal.com/archive/index.php/t-201370.html

Not yet. My EAD hasn't been approved yet (doesn't matter now) and my 1 485 status was updated yesterday.

I received my EAD card yesterday! I don't trust the online status at all. it still says that my travel authorization is pending as of July while I have the approved form at home! :D
Green Cards, where are you???? :rolleyes: Come out, come out wherever you are :)

Dear tp2007, Johnkent, and maconcita,

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I think you are right. I am going to get a second opinian.

how long it takes to get the receipt from Department of State? I sent a money order on aug 19th, and still nothing in the mail.

Thanks.

how long it takes to get the receipt from Department of State? I sent a money order on aug 19th, and still nothing in the mail.

Thanks.

By the Grace of God, the journey is now over. I received the GC in the mail today. Thank you all folks...I pray that everyone waiting receives the GC...:) :) :)

By the Grace of God, the journey is now over. I received the GC in the mail today. Thank you all folks...I pray that everyone waiting receives the GC...:) :) :)

:D :D I'M SO VERY VERY VERY HAPPY FOR YOU :D :D
Congratulations! your journey is over! Guess what? you better start collecting paperwork for your passport now right? :p
Congrats again, you deserve it :D

WE GOT IT TODAY :D :D
I'm so thankful for this great gift! finally, we have our GC!
thanks everyone and good luck to anyone still waiting for theirs! :)

I received request for evidence (RFE) from my local office yesterday, asking to submit my proof of assets in the United States (such as certificate of deposit, bonds and stock market, or any other properties). They mentioned it has to meet 5 times of %125 of poverty line for 5 years for 2 persons = $ 87,500 !!! or to submit I-864 (affidavit of support) if my assets do not meet this amount.
(I already sent them I-134 , my U.S. bank statement with balance of $25,000 and my car title in U.S. ($6,000 owned) and my wife and I assistantship contract and my house title located in my home country with the value of around $140,000 and a piece of land in my home country with the value of around $80,000 all certified by department of justice and owned by me “not financed”)
I got very upset. What else they need from a couple on F-1 visas. It is impossible and so silly to transfer all my money and assets to US at this moment.
So, I made an infopass and went to my local office. I encounter the same lady as last time. She was not friendly and customer service oriented at all this time. After a warm greeting I said, I have two concerns about my case.
1- Whether my name check is back or not? I explained that my interviewer told me that my name check is expedited.
2- I showed her the RFE and showed her the memo that my attorney gave me regarding that we are exempt from submitting I-864 and the right form is I-134 (short form of affidavit of support).
The receptionist told me, “Let me check with your adjudicator. She went in and came back after 10 minutes and said”.
We can only tell you that your name check is submitted. We can not tell you it is pending or cleared or is back or not at this time!!!!
And you must submit form I-864 if you do not have enough assets as your adjudicator indicated in your RFE.
I said, my sponsor is on vacation for two weeks and he already prepared I-134 for me and my wife again few days back. And, I am not sure if I can find him at this time and the due date is approaching.
She said, if you think that I-134 is the right form for you, go a head and submit it but there is no guarantee that your adjudicator accept it and she may deny your case.
It was late and they closed their windows after me.

I don’t know what to do now. I have no access to my sponsor for 2 weeks. Also, my name check is another issue. I am not sure if I have enough time to write to congressman or senator.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received request for evidence (RFE) from my local office yesterday, asking to submit my proof of assets in the United States (such as certificate of deposit, bonds and stock market, or any other properties). They mentioned it has to meet 5 times of %125 of poverty line for 5 years for 2 persons = $ 87,500 !!! or to submit I-864 (affidavit of support) if my assets do not meet this amount.
(I already sent them I-134 , my U.S. bank statement with balance of $25,000 and my car title in U.S. ($6,000 owned) and my wife and I assistantship contract and my house title located in my home country with the value of around $140,000 and a piece of land in my home country with the value of around $80,000 all certified by department of justice and owned by me “not financed”)
I got very upset. What else they need from a couple on F-1 visas. It is impossible and so silly to transfer all my money and assets to US at this moment.
So, I made an infopass and went to my local office. I encounter the same lady as last time. She was not friendly and customer service oriented at all this time. After a warm greeting I said, I have two concerns about my case.
1- Whether my name check is back or not? I explained that my interviewer told me that my name check is expedited.
2- I showed her the RFE and showed her the memo that my attorney gave me regarding that we are exempt from submitting I-864 and the right form is I-134 (short form of affidavit of support).
The receptionist told me, “Let me check with your adjudicator. She went in and came back after 10 minutes and said”.
We can only tell you that your name check is submitted. We can not tell you it is pending or cleared or is back or not at this time!!!!
And you must submit form I-864 if you do not have enough assets as your adjudicator indicated in your RFE.
I said, my sponsor is on vacation for two weeks and he already prepared I-134 for me and my wife again few days back. And, I am not sure if I can find him at this time and the due date is approaching.
She said, if you think that I-134 is the right form for you, go a head and submit it but there is no guarantee that your adjudicator accept it and she may deny your case.
It was late and they closed their windows after me.

I don’t know what to do now. I have no access to my sponsor for 2 weeks. Also, my name check is another issue. I am not sure if I have enough time to write to congressman or senator.

BadLuck, this is getting out of control. DV lottery supposed to be simple and straight forward. From last postings from previous DV winners who were F-1, they never mentioned any difficulties you are currently experiencing.

Considering the time frame situation, I think you really need to get your Lawyer come to USCIS with you and LET him do the talking. If he thinks it is not necessary, I think you should start getting other lawyer who cares about you.

All the very best for you.

Hi everybody,

I really need your opinian on this. Today I had an info pass, and was told that our name check was still pending, and that USCIS has requested from FBI to expedite the process. This is very different from what the interviewing officer told us. As I reported earlier, the officer told us he could not make such request. Even if they did make the request, I am not sure its going to work. That is why I talked to a lawyer. The lawyer, who is very famous in our area, told me that we should file a Mandamus (sue the USCIS). She asked for $10000 (6000 upfront 4000 after the case is approved) to do this. However, I am not sure if this is going to work either. I mean, if USCIS has already requested to expedite the case, what else can we want from them. I told her about this, but she said we should go ahead with her plan. Do you have any idea how effective this may be? Please let me know what you think, what should we do?

It's a good thing that your name check has been expedited. It's the only thing that can be done for now. You just have to make sure that as soon as the results came back, your application is adjudicated.

Have faith that it's going to work out now that the check was expedited !

I talked to a couple of lawyers myself and none of them mentioned a mandamus. With so little time left, they both advised me to talk to the senator's office (one of them admitting that he won't be able to do much).

You can find more info on these lawsuits here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FBI_name_check

I believe it's going to work out without a lawsuit. You can call KCC and ask what is the crucial step that needs to be completed before September 30th - which AOS application processing step MUST be completed before the end of the month. After the 30th, there won't be any visa numbers available for DV-2008. I'm not sure when, during the AOS process, a visa number is given - probably at approval time. So, if you're assigned one before the deadline, other processing steps, for instance, the welcoming letter, GC, can be done after (you don't need to have the actual GC in your wallet on October 1st). ~ This is just MY thinking/opinion !

Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best !

The very best of luck !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everybody,

Hi winner2008,
I think, you should do more research about mandamus procedure and consult with at least a few lawyers. $10,000 doesn’t seem a good deal to me. I guess, mandamus is a lengthy procedure and end-up with court decision. It would be late to do that at this time. Remember, no visa number available after midnight 30 September even if you win your case.
Now, I believe that AOS for DV is all depend on luck and based on which region the applicants from or better to say which country. I did not believe it in the beginning that’s why I chose AOS but you can see my story now. On the other hand, getting a lawyer who has experience about DV is difficult.

I wish you good luck and keep us posted

I received request for evidence (RFE) from my local office yesterday, asking to submit my proof of assets in the United States (such as certificate of deposit, bonds and stock market, or any other properties). They mentioned it has to meet 5 times of %125 of poverty line for 5 years for 2 persons = $ 87,500 !!! or to submit I-864 (affidavit of support) if my assets do not meet this amount. ...

It is possible for you to find another sponsor that can complete an I-864 for you and submit that as soon as possible ?