• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

I received request for evidence (RFE) from my local office yesterday, asking to submit my proof of assets in the United States (such as certificate of deposit, bonds and stock market, or any other properties). They mentioned it has to meet 5 times of %125 of poverty line for 5 years for 2 persons = $ 87,500 !!! or to submit I-864 (affidavit of support) if my assets do not meet this amount.
I don’t know what to do now. I have no access to my sponsor for 2 weeks. Also, my name check is another issue. I am not sure if I have enough time to write to congressman or senator.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I have never heard or seen such a thing. What I would do is write or contact your senator's office and ask for help. I would even talk to lawyers to see if this is a discrimition case.
The fact that you're on F1 and a TA/GA (funds from US government) might prevent you from using those contracts as proof of income? I don't know, although it is not making much sense.
I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. this is supposed to be an easy way to get a GC.
Contact congressmen and your senator and discuss it with your lawyer to see what can be done. You're paying him for services, it is time for him/her to provide them. Did you try blogging Rajiv Khanna directly (the host of this portal). He might assist?
If there is anything I could do, please let me know! research names, contacts... I'll be happy to help you! I'm sorry you're going through this, but know that you're not alone, I'm sure everyone here feels the same way I feel about willing to help you anyway we can.
Good luck :)

CONGRATULATIONS, Maconcita :) Thank you for your wishes and thoughts !

Thank you my friend; although this is bittersweet as I had hoped that we all get it (Glistenpearls, dv2008gh and badluck2 specifically). We were following the same timeline the whole time and I thought that we would all end up with the GC as soon as Glistenpearls received hers (she was the leader :D ). I hope that badluck2 will join us in our happiness soon, that way, the journey would be complete with a happy ending :)

It's a good thing that your name check has been expedited. It's the only thing that can be done for now. You just have to make sure that as soon as the results came back, your application is adjudicated.

Have faith that it's going to work out now that the check was expedited !

I talked to a couple of lawyers myself and none of them mentioned a mandamus. With so little time left, they both advised me to talk to the senator's office (one of them admitting that he won't be able to do much).

You can find more info on these lawsuits here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FBI_name_check

I believe it's going to work out without a lawsuit. You can call KCC and ask what is the crucial step that needs to be completed before September 30th - which AOS application processing step MUST be completed before the end of the month. After the 30th, there won't be any visa numbers available for DV-2008. I'm not sure when, during the AOS process, a visa number is given - probably at approval time. So, if you're assigned one before the deadline, other processing steps, for instance, the welcoming letter, GC, can be done after (you don't need to have the actual GC in your wallet on October 1st). ~ This is just MY thinking/opinion !

Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best !

The very best of luck !

Dear fjelltronen,

Thank you so much for the reply. I am not sure if they really did request to expedite the name check process. The officer on the day of interview told me that he could not make such request, now they are saying that they did. This is a little bit strange. Even if they did, who knows how long the expedited process would take.

You are right we don't have to have the actual cards before Oct. 1st. However we cannot be sure if visa numbers are available for us even before Sep. 30th (the cap may be reached before the end of Sept.). That is why I am really worried and want to try everything possible. On the other hand $10000 is a lot of money, and probably we don't have much chance to win the case, as USCIS may argue that they have done whatever they should have.

Hi winner2008,
I think, you should do more research about mandamus procedure and consult with at least a few lawyers. $10,000 doesn’t seem a good deal to me. I guess, mandamus is a lengthy procedure and end-up with court decision. It would be late to do that at this time. Remember, no visa number available after midnight 30 September even if you win your case.
Now, I believe that AOS for DV is all depend on luck and based on which region the applicants from or better to say which country. I did not believe it in the beginning that’s why I chose AOS but you can see my story now. On the other hand, getting a lawyer who has experience about DV is difficult.

I wish you good luck and keep us posted

Hi badluck2,

I am so sorry to hear you still have problems regarding Affidavit of Support. I do not understand why you need it at all, as you are supported through graduate assistantship. If you don't have any other option, maybe you should submit I-134 with the documet that states that I-134 is the right form not the other one. Regarding name check, maybe they have the results, but don't want to tell you.

I think you are right about our case, we should consult other lawyers. I have an appointment to see a lawyer tomorrow.

DoS receipt

Hi guys, i received the receipt for the payment of $375 from DoS today.
It is the same thing i sent to DoS, and has a stamp saying "PAID AUG 15 2008"
is this how it should look like? i thought it would be more than this.
Please share your experiences.

Thanks a lot.

Good news

Hi everybody,

I cannot believe it, we got the "card production" email yesterday. I want to thank everybody in this forum for sharing information and for their support. I was not optimistic about our case at all, especially because our case # was so high.

badluck2, keep hope and do your best. Hopefully, we will hear good news from you soon.

More GOOD News

I received the welcoming letter yesterday :) It was dated September 4th. :) It's so unbelievable ... I was prepared for the worst and thought that I'll have to "fight" until the last moment. but, everything resolved by itself :):)

Winner2008, CONGRATULATIONS !!! USCIS expedited our name checks and they came through in time and they processed them in time !! :):) I have faith that we'll soon hear good news from badluck2 also.

My online status changed to 'card production ordered' with a LUD September 8th. :):)

All this would not have been possible without this discussion thread and the people that contribute here. :)

For me, it's been a journey longer than what others have experienced and I've received a lot of support from a lot of people. A big THANK YOU to all of them !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I received the welcoming letter yesterday :) It was dated September 4th. :) It's so unbelievable ... I was prepared for the worst and thought that I'll have to "fight" until the last moment. but, everything resolved by itself :):)

Winner2008, CONGRATULATIONS !!! USCIS expedited our name checks and they came through !! :):)

My online status changed to 'card production ordered' with a LUD September 8th. :):)

Great news Fjelltronen, Congratulations!

Wow big congrats to fjelltronen and winner2008!!
Though some have their ups and downs..it seems everyone still make it through which is fabulous--I really hope badluck will be next!!

Winner2008, CONGRATULATIONS !!! USCIS expedited our name checks and they came through in time and they processed them in time !! :):) I have faith that we'll soon hear good news from badluck2 also.

All this would not have been possible without this discussion thread and the people that contribute here. :)

For me, it's been a journey longer than what others have experienced and I've received a lot of support from a lot of people. A big THANK YOU to all of them !!!!

Congratulations I am so happy for you.

Wow big congrats to fjelltronen and winner2008!!
Though some have their ups and downs..it seems everyone still make it through which is fabulous--I really hope badluck will be next!!

Thanks a lot Glistenpearls. I have a question for you. What do you mean by "corrected SSN"

Winner2008, 1.5 yrs ago when I first moved here for employment-based reason, my SSN had a condition, it says something about SSN for work only-authorized by DNS so and so (I can't remember it now-since I have already ripped it heheh :D). So that means, every time I show that SSN to new employers they would like to see EAD and other docs.

Now by having this GC, I got SSA to remove that condition so that future new employers will not ask for my EAD (in which I no longer have), instead they can just ask to see the GC.

Winner2008, 1.5 yrs ago when I first moved here for employment-based reason, my SSN had a condition, it says something about SSN for work only-authorized by DNS so and so (I can't remember it now-since I have already ripped it heheh :D). So that means, every time I show that SSN to new employers they would like to see EAD and other docs.

Now by having this GC, I got SSA to remove that condition so that future new employers will not ask for my EAD (in which I no longer have), instead they can just ask to see the GC.

OK I got it. Mine does not have that on it. I guess they did not put that condition when I got my SSN several years ago

Congrats to all those who recently got their approval. So other than badluck2 (who I hope will hear some good news soon - I hope you are talking to your representatives/senators) are there anybody else from DV2008 and who did their AOS... who are yet to receive their approvals? At least from people who have posted on this thread, success rate for DV2008 AOS seem to be pretty high. That's good news for people who are doing AOS for DV2009.

Congratulations to fjelltronen & winner2008 and everybody else who got their welcome letter/GC. Now, feeling that you guys want to leave the forum makes me worried.
Thank you very much guys for offering your help and opinion. I really appreciate your suggestions and supports.
I talked to my lawyer and consult with a few more lawyers. All said, at this point the situation without I-864 (affidavit of support) is too risky. They advised me to get the money that USCIS said, transferred to U.S. bank. Fortunately, I got the money transferred by the support of my family overseas. And my response to their RFE will be in their office tomorrow.
Hopefully, this is going to be over soon.

I-485 expiration

Hello,

On the I-485 form the expiration date is 09/30/2008. Will there be any problem filling up this form, coz i can't find any other I-485 on USCIS website :-(

Thanks

Hello,

On the I-485 form the expiration date is 09/30/2008. Will there be any problem filling up this form, coz i can't find any other I-485 on USCIS website :-(

Thanks

if u file (gets to Chicago lockbox) before the expiration of the form, u should be fine