• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

FBI shut down all name check phone numbers and emails for customers few years back. USCIS knows that FBI does not respond to end customer. Even USCIS should contact them by official means. But, do not give up because this is what USCIS receptionists want in order to reduce their jobs.
Be aware that normally in large USCIS offices infopass receptionists are not IO (Immigration Officer). Some of them work the same way that USCIS customer service 1-800 hotline works. My suggestion for you is to setup another infopass and do the following;

Ask your lawyer to come with you to infopass. USCIS staff prefer to talk to an attorney than us. Plus, your attorney can simply ask to talk to an IO or office-in-charge. Note, that your attorney must have the official form (I think G-28) signed by you to represent you.

In case you want to go alone again do the following and do not afraid it will not harm your case at all. And it may help a lot.
Show them the “FBI expedite memo from USCIS” that you have and ask them that you need to know your FBI status and if your name check is not back you want to request for FBI expeditious process (I am sure that you know how to act professionally and do not argue with them at all).
They may tell you the same thing that they said last time or say that only your adjudicator can request that. If this happen again, smile and tell the receptionists that you need to have a second opinion so you need to talk to an IO. Most probably the receptionist say “ I am an IO” if He/She is an IO an if not He/She will tell you that you can talk to an IO or not. Do not argue if the answer is negative.
Do the next step if you didn’t get any result and ask the same way that you need to talk to “office supervisor”. Again smile if they reject and do not argue.
Last step is to ask the name and mail address of “office director”.
In this way, they know that you know the rules. But talk professional at all the time and
Do not argue even if they reject all of you request and ask the name of receptionist who you talk to.
Then you may make an official report of what happened by submitting DHS-7001
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/cisomb_dhsform7001.pdf
To Ombudsman. And, report the story to your congressman, senator and first lady.

Personally, I do not think that they reject all your requests because they are aware of USCIS rules and DHS-7001.

Good luck and do not give up.

WOW badluck2, you know the rules very well. I spoke with an officer who would not tell me in so many words that my name check has cleared, but kept telling me not to worry. Just mail everything as I described and you'll be fine. you have nothing to worry about. During the interview be as truthful as you can be and you'll be fine. So in a way, I think he was hinting that my name has cleared. I asked him if it did and he said, Ma'am, you're fine. the interview is what matters. don't worry about name checks, you're fine.
So now, I'm calming myself down and counting the seconds of every minute of every hour of every day until the 18th....
Good luck to everyone and dv2008gh, try to solve that "married" issue before your interview.
For all those that are waiting for the interview, good luck. hopefully, by this time next month, we'll be all :D green!!! :D

Have ur status online changed? If your case was approved, u should have received welcome letter by now (maybe some computer glitch as always). I got mine 3 days later after interview.

John,

Our online status is very outadted! It goes back to when they cashed our check and since then have never changed always says:" fingerprint fees accepted!"
Any one has any idea what to do....waiting more than 4 weeks after the interview seems a bit odd! And since the auto 1-800-375-5283 does not provide any more info, it does not even allow to speak to a person instead of recording!

Please, SOS ...we need your help!

Scopt

John,

Our online status is very outadted! It goes back to when they cashed our check and since then have never changed always says:" fingerprint fees accepted!"
Any one has any idea what to do....waiting more than 4 weeks after the interview seems a bit odd! And since the auto 1-800-375-5283 does not provide any more info, it does not even allow to speak to a person instead of recording!

Please, SOS ...we need your help!

Scopt

Does any one have a phone number for UCIS to call other than 1-800-375-5283 ???????? or any other way to inquire about our status 39 days after the interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

AF00015xxx
NL 04/06/2007
AOS package mailed 02/20/2008
Fingerprints and biometrics in 04/01/2008
Interview 06/26/2008

Does any one have a phone number for UCIS to call other than 1-800-375-5283 ???????? or any other way to inquire about our status 39 days after the interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll probably have to schedule an infopass since your file is in your local office. the USCIS number can be quite worthless I'm afraid.
You could try asking them to transfer you to an officer since you have not heard anything since your interview but you're honestly better off scheduling an infopass!
good luck

AF00015xxx
NL 04/06/2007
Interview 06/26/2008

You could also inquire if your name check has cleared when you schedule the infopass. Good luck.

You could also inquire if your name check has cleared when you schedule the infopass. Good luck.

Actually, our local office in Washington DC (Fairfax, VA) does not give appointments when trying online to do the infopass for inquiring ! :confused:
And as per the officer during the interview, she said we are clearded as regards the name check...I do not see any similar cases on this portal ! we are so confused :confused:and frustrated! :mad::mad::mad:

Scopt

AF00015xxx
NL 04/06/2007
Interview 06/26/2008

Hi,
I am just coming back from my infopass. Here is how it went.

Me: Hi, I have a DV case pending here. And, I want to know about my name check status and if there is any reason that I didn’t receive an interview letter.

The officer went and check my case on her computer and came back.
Officer: Your name check is still pending and we can not do any thing about that. And, that is not so important because your adjudicator can deal with name check easily. You are going to be fine because your status is “waiting for interview to be scheduled”.

Me: Is there any way that I can have an early appointment for interview?

Officer: No, you have to wait for mail and I can not do any thing about that.

I showed her the “FBI expeditious memo for DV”
Me: I want to request for “name check expeditious process” based on this memo before my interview. Is that possible?

Officer: No, only your adjudicator can ask for name check expeditious process and you have to ask them during interview because they may not need your security clearance.

Me: Ok, I got the picture and I accept what you say. But, just to confirm I need a second opinion. So, is there any chance for me to talk to “Supervisor” here.

Officer smiled: No problem!! But you have to wait.

Me: sure

A nice lady came to the windows after about 30 minutes and called my name and start talking without asking me any question!! That was the supervisor!!

Supervisor: I am in-charge of this office and reviewed your case and talked to your adjudicator. She is going to expedite your case including your name check. I pushed for your interview to be scheduled soon but there is no chance. Tentatively, the earliest that we can give you an appointment for your interview is August 19 2008. So, you should prepare all documents that you think may help your case. Do you have any question?

She seemed in hurry and very serious.
Me: No, thank you so much

I think I can sleep tonight a little bit.

Good luck for every body.

Hi,
I am just coming back from my infopass. Here is how it went.

Me: Hi, I have a DV case pending here. And, I want to know about my name check status and if there is any reason that I didn’t receive an interview letter.

The officer went and check my case on her computer and came back.
Officer: Your name check is still pending and we can not do any thing about that. And, that is not so important because your adjudicator can deal with name check easily. You are going to be fine because your status is “waiting for interview to be scheduled”.

Me: Is there any way that I can have an early appointment for interview?

Officer: No, you have to wait for mail and I can not do any thing about that.

I showed her the “FBI expeditious memo for DV”
Me: I want to request for “name check expeditious process” based on this memo before my interview. Is that possible?

Officer: No, only your adjudicator can ask for name check expeditious process and you have to ask them during interview because they may not need your security clearance.

Me: Ok, I got the picture and I accept what you say. But, just to confirm I need a second opinion. So, is there any chance for me to talk to “Supervisor” here.

Officer smiled: No problem!! But you have to wait.

Me: sure

A nice lady came to the windows after about 30 minutes and called my name and start talking without asking me any question!! That was the supervisor!!

Supervisor: I am in-charge of this office and reviewed your case and talked to your adjudicator. She is going to expedite your case including your name check. I pushed for your interview to be scheduled soon but there is no chance. Tentatively, the earliest that we can give you an appointment for your interview is August 19 2008. So, you should prepare all documents that you think may help your case. Do you have any question?

She seemed in hurry and very serious.
Me: No, thank you so much

I think I can sleep tonight a little bit.

Good luck for every body.

badluck2 that is wonderful news. Thank you for the detailed conversation, it helps a lot. Your interview is scheduled a day after mine :D, i will be sure to share as much details with you as I possibly can. Well, Congratulations on your interview; it will all go well and we'll soon celebrate our GC receipt.
by the way, which field office did you go to? My experience didn't go as smoothly as yours did. My field office is Baltimore:)

Actually, our local office in Washington DC (Fairfax, VA) does not give appointments when trying online to do the infopass for inquiring ! :confused:
And as per the officer during the interview, she said we are clearded as regards the name check...I do not see any similar cases on this portal ! we are so confused :confused:and frustrated! :mad::mad::mad:

Scopt

AF00015xxx
NL 04/06/2007
Interview 06/26/2008

I'm so sorry you're enduring this. I tried to schedule the infopass through the washington office, and you're right, same thing, they don't have any appointments available.
I don't know how much this will help since your file is in your field office but i contacted uscis on Friday and spoke to a nice gentleman who gave me several numbers:
DOS: 202-663-1225 (I tried this number, kept ringing endlessly...)
DOS Switchboard: 202-647-4000
some other number 202-282-8000

I didn't try the others but he said that if I wanted to find out about my case or name check status, I could try those numbers (the last number was specifically for the name check). I don't know if this will help but it's better to have other numbers than that useless uscis number.
good luck,

i will be sure to share as much details with you as I possibly can. Well, Congratulations on your interview; it will all go well and we'll soon celebrate our GC receipt.
by the way, which field office did you go to? My experience didn't go as smoothly as yours did. My field office is Baltimore:)

Hi maconcita,

Good luck with your interview!

I am a DV-2009 winner and my field office is going to be Baltimore as well. I look forward to hearing about your interview experience.

Hi maconcita,

Good luck with your interview!

I am a DV-2009 winner and my field office is going to be Baltimore as well. I look forward to hearing about your interview experience.

I will sure update everyone about my experience on the 18th...(seems like years from today :eek: )

Good luck with the process, make sure you use this forum and others to get information. I used a lawyer who was not helpful at all. overall the process is simple (once you know what you're doing) it is just painful (the wait...) try to file early and keep requesting information. Good luck :D

^^^ Ahh I'm getting so restless! My interview time is 9.00am, I'm sure I will wake up at 5am that morning :eek:

if you wake up at 5 then you would have had a lot of sleep! :D
I'm sure you're already not sleeping much! I wish you all the luck in the world. Make sure you have all of your documentations (originals) ready. I really hope you'll get out of the interview to update us all with "Visa number available, Passport stamped today, GC in the mail :) "

if you wake up at 5 then you would have had a lot of sleep! :D
I'm sure you're already not sleeping much! I wish you all the luck in the world. Make sure you have all of your documentations (originals) ready. I really hope you'll get out of the interview to update us all with "Visa number available, Passport stamped today, GC in the mail :) "

Thanks!! I'm more worry about the name check because if that one get delayed..God knows when I can get my GC and September is getting so close.

Thanks!! I'm more worry about the name check because if that one get delayed..God knows when I can get my GC and September is getting so close.

did you read the thread? many have said that the officer who handles your file can expedite your name check.
I hope your name check clears soon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys.... Just a suggestion that helped me a lot, in case you haven't tried yet. You can contact your congressman and have him try to speed up the process. They usually have someone on their office that takes care of immigration. They really saved me and got my office to schedule my interview.

Good Luck. I am sure it will all be fine. :)