• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

and one more question is;

5-) How can I learn the result of fingerprint test and the name check? Or, can I learn?

thanks,

I will have some questions.

1. You could work now, you don't have to be student in the time of interview, but it's better to have some job or affidavit of support.

2. No, just bring them to the interview

3. Yes, any job

4. It will be invalid after Sep 30, 2008 or your case will approved or your case will be rejected whatever happened first

5. Go to INFOPASS and ask immigration officer

I've received invitations today for me and my wife for Mar 20. There is no invitation for our 5 years old dauhgter - am I recall correctly that interview for < 14 years old children not necessary?

And I received the same list required documents as Ruxy - USCIS request Arrests records.
The problem is we didn't have them and get it from my country (Russia) required 6+ months :-(
Ruxy or anybody - have you been asked of this document at interview? Have you prepare one from US officials?

MikeM,
First of all, I'm happy for you getting the interview letters.
Secondly, yes, we had the arrest records from our country and US also. The officer didn't look at the papers, she just asked for copies and put them in our files.
We went to the police section here in town and we payed 20$ for arrest records, it took 15 minutes to have them ready.
We asked for police records from our country long time ago, in April 07...I know it takes long until you get them, buy maybe you can ask for them and provide a receipt or something from the Russian police...

And I received the same list required documents as Ruxy - USCIS request Arrests records.
The problem is we didn't have them and get it from my country (Russia) required 6+ months :-(
Ruxy or anybody - have you been asked of this document at interview? Have you prepare one from US officials?

Could you please quote the exact wording of the request for arrest records? Usually, they request arrest records only from people who have been arrested. Have you indicated on previous USCIS forms that you have been arrested?

plus07,
we haven't been arrested and we never indicated that we've been arrested, but we got the same request from uscis: arrest records from us and our country, originals, translations and one copy of each.

plus07,
we haven't been arrested and we never indicated that we've been arrested, but we got the same request from uscis: arrest records from us and our country, originals, translations and one copy of each.

Odd.

What was the exact wording in the request? Sometimes it is implicit in the request that only people who've been arrested need to provide arrest records.

Did the interviewing officer bring up arrest records during the interview?

yes, she asked for copies, but she didn't even look at them...she only put them in the file

Hi ruxy,

Could you please tell us what all they asked for the interview? Are the arrest records same as the "police certificate" mentioned in 485 instructions? Did they ask for the same from all countries you have lived since a certain age?

Thanks

yes, she asked for copies, but she didn't even look at them...she only put them in the file

Exact wording in my case:

"The original form of the following plus one copy is required with translations if not in English:
Arrest records and certified court dispositions for any and all arrests
..."

It's not specified if it required for every country you've lived in, as well as not completely clear for me does one supposed to have arrest records if never been arrested.

Exact wording in my case:

"The original form of the following plus one copy is required with translations if not in English:
Arrest records and certified court dispositions for any and all arrests
..."

It's not specified if it required for every country you've lived in, as well as not completely clear for me does one supposed to have arrest records if never been arrested.

Thanks for your quick reply, MikeM.

The "for any and all arrests" part means that you only need to bring the "arrest records and certified court dispositions" if you've had arrests. Conversely, someone who has had arrests would need to bring the arrest records and certified court dispositions for all arrests in his life.

An arrest record is usually a form that a police officer (usually the arresting officer) will complete with the details of your arrest.

If you haven't had any arrests, the document attesting to that is usually called a police certificate, a certificate of good conduct, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ruxy,

Could you please tell us what all they asked for the interview? Are the arrest records same as the "police certificate" mentioned in 485 instructions? Did they ask for the same from all countries you have lived since a certain age?

Thanks

There is no mention of "police certificate" in the most recent version of the I-485 instructions. There is only a mention of "police clearance" (my bold):

If you are filing for adjustment of status as a member of a special class described in an I-485 supplement form, please read the instructions on the supplement form to see if you need to obtain and submit police clearances, in addition to the required fingerprints, with your application.​

Hi Himal2008,
which country you are from? I am asking coz it may be country specific.

anyone else sent document delivered on 1st February?
is your check cashed or not?

paulcase,

I am from Nepal and still haven't heard from USCIS. When I called they told me that it may take 90 days in worst case and only thing I should do is wait.:(

All our 4 children are age 13 and under, and one had to attend interview. I think it is just if they are age 14+ they have to attend.

I'm fairly certain that if you have had no arrests then there is nothing you need to bring; it only applies to anyone that has been arrested and therefore has an arrest record. We had no arrests, so just took with us our police record from the UK where we lived (we only had these as when we first 'won' the lottery had planned to do CP so would have needed them for that). We were not asked for these in the interview, so at no point handed them over.

I've received invitations today for me and my wife for Mar 20. There is no invitation for our 5 years old dauhgter - am I recall correctly that interview for < 14 years old children not necessary?

Congratulations on receiving the letter, MikeM ! I'm still waiting. I have an appointment for Friday to check the status of my (re-submitted) background check. Do you think yours is complete ?

Hello,

Went to USCIS this morning, in Newark NJ.
My talk with the immigration officer lasted approximately 2 minutes, and I didn't learn much, beside the fact that I am pending name check.
I know some people got the interview before the name check was cleared, so I am a little worried about that.
The officer told me to check with them in May if I don't have any news then.

Nico

Hello,

Went to USCIS this morning, in Newark NJ.
My talk with the immigration officer lasted approximately 2 minutes, and I didn't learn much, beside the fact that I am pending name check.
I know some people got the interview before the name check was cleared, so I am a little worried about that.
The officer told me to check with them in May if I don't have any news then.

Nico

Is your name very common ? (if you search "your_first_name your_last_name" on google, how many hits do you get ? how many of them are about you ? )

Did you get a chance to ask them when they submitted your name check ?

I don't think you should be worried about not getting the interview letter before the name check clears. There don't seem to be any general rules about the order of these things.

fjelltronen, thanks for that, that's very reassuring.
My name in google shows my flickr, linkedin pages. Clean stuff :)

There is a popular DJ that has the same name as me - Hope that's not being the issue, and that the FBI has some electronic music amateur in its ranks :) ...

fjelltronen, thanks for that, that's very reassuring.
My name in google shows my flickr, linkedin pages. Clean stuff :)

There is a popular DJ that has the same name as me - Hope that's not being the issue, and that the FBI has some electronic music amateur in its ranks :) ...

clean is good :) and the FBI works with more than just the name, so everything should be ok.

If I were you, I'd make an INFOPASS every 2-3 weeks to check on things (asking about the status of your case cannot hurt).