• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

yumboltd:

The background checks are initiated by USCIS. I believe they start the process pretty much right after they receive your application and finish the initial evidence/fee check etc. You can go to http://usinfo.state.gov/gi/Archive/2006/May/04-878088.html to get an idea of the types of checks they do.

Fjelltronen,
What do you mean here by background check ? What i did is submit police records from USA & FRance with my I485 aplication. Is there something else to do , as your message leads me to believe ?? if so, when does it need t obe done ?
thx

Fjelltronen,
What do you mean here by background check ? What i did is submit police records from USA & FRance with my I485 aplication. Is there something else to do , as your message leads me to believe ?? if so, when does it need t obe done ?
thx

The name/background/fingerprint check is part of any AOS processing (thus, it also applies to DV winners who choose to do AOS). It's done by the FBI at the request of USCIS which will want to know if you have been involved in any kind of investigation. It's independent of the police records that you submitted with your application and it's not something that you need to do (USCIS will request it from FBI).

If you search for "FBI" in this thread, you'll find more information about it.

These are some links posted in one of the messages from page 8-9 of this thread:
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/nationalnamecheck.htm
http://www.fbi.gov/page2/nationalnamecheck.htm

In the case of my application, I was hoping that my background check was submitted to the FBI once USCIS captured my biometrics (fingerprints & photo). When a month passed without receiving anything from USCIS, I went to ask them if it's complete and, to my surprise, they didn't even submit it. Now, after another two weeks, I went again and it's pending resolution.

Hope this helps,

pegah61,
it takes some time after the check is cashed to get the interview letter.
if everything goes well, it should be sometimes next month.

Paul

hi Paulcase,
I was wondering if you have recieved an interview letter since your check has been checked?
Pegah

I had my interview today. It went well, but my name check wasn’t clear yet. Interviewer just asked me about my passport and my I-94 that’s all. and told me everything is good just wait for name check to be clear.thats what I’m worry about how long it will take.

Congratulations, Van ! The hard part is done. :) Do you know when they submitted your check ? You'll probably have to go and ask them about the name check from time to time (just to make sure that once it's complete, you get the GC).

I called the FBI 304-phone number today to ask about my fingerprint check. They sent the results to USCIS the day following my biometrics (this check took only 24h in my case). So, the date that I see for the online case status as 'last updated on' is this day, the day FBI sent the fingerprint check results.

What puzzles me is that, after 1 month, the lady at the local office said she cannot find my name check. Maybe the two checks are independent of one another.

I had my interview today. It went well, but my name check wasn’t clear yet. Interviewer just asked me about my passport and my I-94 that’s all. and told me everything is good just wait for name check to be clear.thats what I’m worry about how long it will take.

Congratulations Van!
Hopefully your namecheck will be cleared soon.

Have you provide police certificate from your home country?
Have it been asked by officer or in the interview invitation letter?

Congratulation Van. Hopefully name check will be done soon.

G-325A form

Do i need to submit a passport photo together with form G-325A biographic info. Am just curious.

address for I-485

hey guys,i had send my all the documents to the following address:

USCIS
Attn:S.la Salle,Floor 3
Chicago,IL 60605-1098

But i got an email from one of the lawer that i was supposed to send to:

DHS-USCIS
Attn: 485-DV1
P.O. Box 805887Chicago, IL 60680-4120

So which one is best?do u guys have any idea

hey guys,i had send my all the documents to the following address:

USCIS
Attn:S.la Salle,Floor 3
Chicago,IL 60605-1098

But i got an email from one of the lawer that i was supposed to send to:

DHS-USCIS
Attn: 485-DV1
P.O. Box 805887Chicago, IL 60680-4120

So which one is best?do u guys have any idea

Both are correct. The first should be used for non-USPS deliveries and the second for USPS deliveries. How did you send your application? Some people prefer to use Fedex/UPS to have the documents delivered faster and some people use USPS. Both options have advantages. I used USPS, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are correct. The first should be used for non-USPS deliveries and the second for USPS deliveries. How did you send your application? Some people prefer to use Fedex/UPS to have the documents delivered faster and some people use USPS. Both options have advantages. I used USPS, for example.[/QUOTE]

I used UPS.But as my lawer they have different section;so if i had send it to the address he has given then it would directly go to the DV department and consume less time for processing.Also look carefully to the address,there is Attn:485-DV1 also P.O Box # is also different than that I found in this forum

Last edited by a moderator:
I used UPS.But as my lawer they have different section;so if i had send it to the address he has given then it would directly go to the DV department and consume less time for processing.Also look carefully to the address,there is Attn:485-DV1 also P.O Box # is also different than that I found in this forum

Both those addresses are listed in the instructions for the i-485 form. Any person that applies for AOS under one of 16 different categories of eligibility (DV included) can send their application to that PO box lockbox address. I sent my documents to that PO box and I don't think it made any difference.

I don't know if they have a "DV department" and I think that most of the processing time is spent at the local office (not at the Chicago lockbox or MSC).

You shouldn't worry about it. With UPS, your package will be received by a person and they'll send it to the right department. Good luck with your application !!

Hello all,
I finally received an interview appointment ! :rolleyes:
I was surprised that the letter doesn't look like anything that I ever received from USCIS. :confused:
It's just a simple letter with the date, the time and the Officer's name. It also states that the interview will be videotaped. That's the first time that I hear of such a thing.

My interview is on the 15th of April, in Newark.
The case status didn't change on USCIS's website. :(

I love those things: :eek:

Hello all,
I was surprised that the letter doesn't look like anything that I ever received from USCIS. :confused:
It's just a simple letter with the date, the time and the Officer's name. It also states that the interview will be videotaped. That's the first time that I hear of such a thing.

Congratulations !!! I'm glad they finally send it. :)

I cannot help with the way the letter looks, I didn't get mine yet :( ... Hope it's not a cruel joke.

Hello all,

Nico, does the letter contain some of your personal information (A#, receipt#) ? Maybe you can call them and double-check the interview appointment date and time? And you can also ask about the status of your name check.