• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

For what it's worth, the USCIS suggests you label the envelope with all sorts of stuff. They also have really particular suggestions on how to pack the envelope.

I did - marked envelope, pack my form according to instructions. It doesn't help to expedite processing of my case :)

I've received all NOA today (I-485, I-765, I-131) for me, my wife and daughter.
Ruxy hopefully you'll received yours pretty soon.

I'd just give them a call to explain what's happened. That way they can tell you if they meant to send you something or not, and maybe also whether your name check is clear.

I have one question I just got mail from Homeland security and this letter not belong to me what i should do send it back to them and tell them my name its writen in the envelop but the letter its not belong to me... It could be they want to send me something but they made mistake. I’m worried because I’m waiting for my interview appointment, but I think this mail which I got should be my interview appointment.. Also, how i can know my name is clear?

Hi guys , im on an F-1 visa too , just received my notification letter, my case number i think is too high , but I will play my chances .
case number : AF00069XXX .
picked on the 25 of may , and received on the 29 of May
what do you guys think , should I go with AOS or CP?
thx

did you decide on which one to use?? CP or AOS?? any luck so far??
I did CP too and i have never heard from them?? case number AF00052xxx?

big/weird news: my check was cashed on Friday but my husband's one not yet. what can this be? and he's the principal applicant :(

My package was delivered on January 3rd. My checks are still not cashed. I hope that i would avoid delays that ruxy and mikem faced. Ruxy do not worry, probably tomorrow you will figure out that your husband's check have been cashed already.

the worst part of this lottery program is imperfect information about how they are processing applications. I heard a couple of terrible stories about how they lost documents or how they dropped a document which lied under the table of an officer for some time. I myself experienced one funny situation with the boarder control. I was crossing the border at El Paso with my friend after having a fun in Mexico. When we were crossing the border we were asked to provide the documents such as visas and I20s. We provided all of them and after sometime, we were allowed to re-entry to the USA. They returned all our documents besides my friend's I-20. They said he did not provide any I-20 in the first place. He insisted to look over an office. First, they became very angry by insisting that there was no my friend's I-20 initially. He again politely asked them whether they could look around of the office for his I-20. After 4 hours they found it with the huge dirty bootprint on it.

I got my NOAs (3 seperate letters for AOS, AP, and EAD) yesterday. I use the online case status check. Both receipt numbers for AP and EAD showed status as "received", but for the AOS one, it says invalid.

Is this normal?

By the way, does your NOA has the ASC code? Its ASC code is 3 on AOS's and 2 on EAD's. Do you know what that means?

By the way, does your NOA has the ASC code? Its ASC code is 3 on AOS's and 2 on EAD's. Do you know what that means?

ASC means Application Support Center, where you'll have you biometrics appointment. Code for type of biometrics necessary for the case.
Code 2 means signature, photo and index fingers prints as far as I know.
Code 3 means all above plus all 10 finger prints.

perl, I got exactly the same things that you did, but after 37 days...now I'm waiting for the biometrics letter...

Case Approved at 11:00 today.

Hello everyone,
Thanks for your help and assistance in these forum. Well my interview was today at 1130 Am, arrived about 45minutes earlier. When i deposited my documents at about 1050, i was called in for interview 5minutes latter. All i was asked was to confirm my address and phone number and if i have ever commited any crime in the USA. Then i was told to await my card in the mail in 2-3wks. The guy who interview me was very nice. So what i have learnt this far is that, it does not matter how soon your case file is submitted. what matters is the geographical region you are from. For i submitted my I485 in October as was advice by KCC, while others want you to wait untill your case number is available in VISA Bullentin. According to Visa bullentin, my case is going to be avaliable in April 2008. And that was when i was supposed to file for AOS. So all this boils down to what your visa number is. You can bare the risk to file ealy as i did or wait for your visa number on DV bullentin. For i understand it is good to wait if you have a very high number but if you are confident yours is not high, Go ahead and file. Thanks once more for all your help

09/20/2007 Medicals Done
09/21/2007 DV fees mailed to DOS
09/30/2007 Receipt from DOS
10/01/2007 Mailed I-485 to Chicago Lockbox
10/02/2007 Mailed Delivered
10/10/2007 I-485 check cashed
10/12/2007 First NOA (dated 10/10/2007)
10/16/2007 Second NOA (dated 10/14/2007)for Biometrics/Finger prints on 11/06/2007
10/06/2007 Fingerprint Captured.
12/21/2007 NOA (12/19/2007) for Interview on 01/17/2008
****INTERVIEW JANUARY 17, 2008****
01/17/2008 CASE APPROVED AT 11:00AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news, congratulations! We had a very low case number (in fact the lowest the officer had ever seen, as per my signature) so was all very quick anyhow, but interesting to hear you were able to file before your number is current. Where did you go for your interview? I assume all applications go through the same process up until they are sent to the local service center, so maybe they will process others sooner than you think too?

Hello everyone,
Thanks for your help and assistance in these forum. Well my interview was today at 1130 Am, arrived about 45minutes earlier. When i deposited my documents at about 1050, i was called in for interview 5minutes latter. All i was asked was to confirm my address and phone number and if i have ever commited any crime in the USA. Then i was told to await my card in the mail in 2-3wks. The guy who interview me was very nice. So what i have learnt this far is that, it does not matter how soon your case file is submitted. what matters is the geographical region you are from. For i submitted my I485 in October as was advice by KCC, while others want you to wait untill your case number is available in VISA Bullentin. According to Visa bullentin, my case is going to be avaliable in April 2008. And that was when i was supposed to file for AOS. So all this boils down to what your visa number is. You can bare the risk to file ealy as i did or wait for your visa number on DV bullentin. For i understand it is good to wait if you have a very high number but if you are confident yours is not high, Go ahead and file. Thanks once more for all your help

09/20/2007 Medicals Done
09/21/2007 DV fees mailed to DOS
09/30/2007 Receipt from DOS
10/01/2007 Mailed I-485 to Chicago Lockbox
10/02/2007 Mailed Delivered
10/10/2007 I-485 check cashed
10/12/2007 First NOA (dated 10/10/2007)
10/16/2007 Second NOA (dated 10/14/2007)for Biometrics/Finger prints on 11/06/2007
10/06/2007 Fingerprint Captured.
12/21/2007 NOA (12/19/2007) for Interview on 01/17/2008
****INTERVIEW JANUARY 17, 2008****
01/17/2008 CASE APPROVED AT 11:00AM

Hello everyone,

CONGRATULATIONS, CHENGMCAK ! :)

Hello advwinner08 and hello to everybody on this forum,

I am "kind of " new around here. Since now I was just a quiet visitor reading with a lot of interest all your messages. My husband is the winner and our case # is DV2008EU00019XXX and we are waiting for our number to become current. I am currently on H1B visa. In July I submitted another green card application (EB-1 category, NIW) with the Texas Service Center, but no answer since now and I don't realy have the hope that it's going to be aproved. I practically applied to get a temporary EAD for my husband who was on H4 visa at that time (and he finally got the EAD in October).
But the situation is a little beat more complicated. If my application gets denied he is going to be out of status and we'll have to travel outside US and reeneter for him to regain his H4. Not a problem, but we never traveled in our home country since I got my H1B to get the visas in the passports and we'll have to stop by the Consulate if this happens..... What we are hoping is that our number will become current before I receive an answer from USCIS regarding my application and if it's denied he will have his own peding application for status adjustment. Does anybody know anything about this?

My second question is: do you think is possible to apply for another EAD if you already have one? What I mean is my husband already has his EAD based on the pending AOS for my application, but if we apply for AOS like DV winners can he apply for another EAD even if the other one is still valid?

And the third question is: have you included in your packages the tax returns (yours and spouse?) or you are going to take them to the interview just in case they are asking for them?

Thanks in advance for your answers and goodluck to everybody!

rms2003,

We are in the same situation. My employer has filed AOS based on EB, and we are going to file AOS based on my wife's DV visa, which is going to be current on November 1st.

I have done quite a lot research on how to get things in a risk-free way. I have talked to many, including KCC, USCIS, US consulates, attorneys here and my own attorney. It's a very long story but in short we have concluded to file another set of AOS based on DV visa and NOT to withdraw the EB-based pending AOS application.

I first wanted to figure out how to do AOS for DV, and talked to attorneys. Then, I called KCC for this, and the lady on phone told me that I didn't need to file another AOS application, I could get the already pending AOS used for DV. She insisted on this when I asked if she was sure on this. I told this my attorneys, and the attorney who filed EB AOS tried to get it confirmed. Although she said DOS had confirmed that, she could not reach anybody at USCIS to get this confirmed. After having tried many different channels to find out how to do this, she sent a letter to Nebraska Service Center to request the pending AOS be used for DV case about one month ago. However, we have not got any response yet, and we do not have much hope getting it converted into DV case timely.

We had considered Consular Processing, but we didn't want to go through CP process because of the security clearance risk. I went through security clearance 2 years ago while getting my H1 visa stamped, and it took 4 months not being able to return. My previous attorney had insisted that security clearance in immigrant visa cases would be completed before the GC interview and had advised me to go through CP. However, when I called the US consular in my country, the officer on the phone told me boldly NEVER COME if I went through NC in near past because I would not able to return. Contrary to what my attorney told me, she said NC may not be completed until interview, and for people like myself, it would not be complete 99%. No wonder, I am not working with that attorney anymore.

Finally, I have talked to at least five different attorneys, and all of them advised me file a new set of AOS applications based on my wife's DV and NOT to withdraw the pending EB-based ones. One of them told me that even if USCIS would convert the pending one to DV case, he would be concerned that it might not be timely.

I have hired a new attorney who looks like he knows this kind of cases. He is going to file new AOS tomorrow, and he said we would mention about the pending EB based AOS on cover letter. He said USCIS would either ask us to withdraw the other one at some point, or would relate these two cases and send the second application back to us, depending on the officer who process the case!

Leny,

We received EAD cards from EB-based AOS but we have not used them and we were advised to not apply EADs under DV AOS, but it was not because it would cause any problem, it was because we did not need it and were told not to confuse immigration officers for something we did not need at all. For your case, I do not know. I would probably apply for the second one as well if I needed to continue to work.

Depending on when your number is going to be current, you may have some time issue if your DV AOS case with EAD causes any confusion and RFEs. Yet, I think you have very good chance to get GC via DV AOS. You may also consider to send your DV AOS case early (before your number becomes current) as chengmcak did. When you file your AOS under DV, do not forget to put your A number and check the box that says you have applied for green card before. Our DV based AOS applications has been processed completely independent from the EB case. I hope this helps.