• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

2008AF00018xxx

09/20/2007 Medicals Done
09/21/2007 DV fees mailed to DOS
09/30/2007 Receipt from DOS
10/01/2007 Mailed I-485 to Chicago Lockbox
10/02/2007 Mailed Delivered
10/10/2007 I-485 check cashed
10/12/2007 First NOA (dated 10/10/2007)
10/16/2007 Second NOA (dated 10/14/2007)for Biometrics/Finger prints on 11/06/2007
10/06/2007 Fingerprint Captured.
12/21/2007 NOA (12/19/2007) for Interview on 01/17/2008
***INTERVIEW JANUARY 17, 2008***

Last edited by a moderator:
can anyone help on writing DV number on each page of the forms? for spouse is it just the winner's number?

I was told to write on the top corner of each page when I talked to a USCIS officer via Infopass. She said this would help officers know it was a DV case so should be done timely.

09/20/2007 Medicals Done
09/21/2007 DV fees mailed to DOS
09/30/2007 Receipt from DOS
10/01/2007 Mailed I-485 to Chicago Lockbox
10/02/2007 Mailed Delivered
10/10/2007 I-485 check cashed
10/12/2007 First NOA (dated 10/10/2007)
10/16/2007 Second NOA (dated 10/14/2007)for Biometrics/Finger prints on 11/06/2007
[/B]

Is ur CN af18xxx or af18xx?
If it is 18xxx, then u shouldn't be sending ur I-485 yet.
Holl back

I just need a confirmation from someone who did this: if I fill out an I-131 form for traveling outside, I need to pay $305 in addition to the AoS fee and biometrics fee. Thanks,

I just need a confirmation from someone who did this: if I fill out an I-131 form for traveling outside, I need to pay $305 in addition to the AoS fee and biometrics fee. Thanks,

You do not need to pay $305 if you have paid $1010 for AOS. This new fee structure that was implemented from July 30, 2007 covers the fee for AOS, biometrics, I-765 and I-131. For detail information, you can refer to the document - Instruction for I-485 at http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

I was adviced by KCC to file for Change of status by the October 1, 2007. USCIS is supposed to hold your application till they get to your case number. If your case number never comes up. then you lost your money and they will never called you for interview. With my case number, i am sure to go for interview latest Febuary ending. For this case are also processed depending on how many winners were picked from your country. For no country is supposed to have more than 7% each DV session. So if the first person from my country Case Number is AF00020xxx and the cutoff number for Africa is AF0001000, they person will still go for interview this OCtober. There is also a first came first serve basis.

I was adviced by KCC to file for Change of status by the October 1, 2007. USCIS is supposed to hold your application till they get to your case number. If your case number never comes up. then you lost your money and they will never called you for interview. With my case number, i am sure to go for interview latest Febuary ending.

Hmm, I was under the impression that you can only file form I-485 once your case number becomes current. However, I couldn't find any authorative information on the USCIS website to confirm this, though it may be in some regulation somewhere. The following page doesn't mention anything about when you can file form I-485 for diversity visa lottery cases:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=54519c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

However, the same page also says:

If you are a Family- or Employment-based applicant, you must have an immigrant visa number available from the State Department unless you are in a category that is exempt from numerical limitations.

The diversity visa lottery is neither family- nor employment-based, but it is numerically limited. Conventional wisdom says that because of the latter, an immigrant visa number has to be available on the date your I-485 is received by the USCIS.

I also found the following which states that you can file up to 90 days early, though the information is nearly 8 years old:

http://www.murthy.com/arc_news/a_lwadj.html

There are some cases on this forum of people who filed early and whose applications were returned, while some other applications were denied at a later stage. I don't remember if anyone who filed early successfully received their green card, though there may be some. You may want to do some further checks on this issue. KCC's advice is not authorative since they are part of the Department of State and are unlikely to know the details of rules and regulations at the USCIS (Department of Homeland Security). The challenge will be to find someone in USCIS whose answer you can trust. Maybe a good immigration lawyer can provide a definitive answer.

Thanks for the infomation. I will check on that and give you feedback. For each time you call USCIS, you get something different depending on who talks to you. I aso went to the local office and they advice me to mail the form to Chicago. So i will keep my fingers crossed.

Please need a template of Cover Letter to send letters to Kentucky

Hi Everyone,

I just decided to send my papers to Kentucky and ask for AOS.
I don't know how to write a cover letter. Please a little help.

I'm going to send the Forms DSP-122 and DSP-230 part 1 &2 for me and only DSP-230 part 1 &2 for my wife.
I got a label with the Kentucky office address and I'm going to send it by traceable mail to make sure that they got my letter.

1. Do I need to send photos?
2. When I should be receiving my second letter?
3. Am I forgetting to do something?
4. Do I need to wait for 2nd letter before paying $375?

Please need help, thanks in advance for any help.

=====================
Mar2007 - Receive First letter :D
Aug2007 - Went to USCIS- they don't know anything :(
Oct2007 - Found that my number is available by Nov07 :D
Nov2007 - Ready to send forms but have no Cover Letter :confused:

Hi Lucky2008winner,

You only need to send DSP-122 to KCC, indicating that you are going to file AOS. You do NOT need to send anything else to Kentucky; no other form, no photo. Plus, you do not need to wait for the second letter. Do not waste time since your number is current, send your wife's and your AOS applications to Chicago as soon as possible.

Answers for your questions (to be clear):
1. No, you DO NOT need to send photo to KCC; you need photos for AOS applications.
2. You do not need the second letter. The second letter will only tell you how to file AOS. You can find that information on USCIS web site.
3. Just send the DSP-122 to KCC but it is just to inform them that you are going to file AOS, and they will hold your file at KCC for USCIS (otherwise, they would send it to your home country if you asked for CP). After you file your AOS and USCIS begins to process it, USCIS will ask KCC for your file. You do not need to do anything for that communication either, it's going to be transparent to you.
4. No, you do not need to wait for anything. Send your DV fee to PA, and start preparing your AOS files right now.

As I said, do not wait for anything. AOS may take long time to be processed, so the earlier you file AOS apps, the more time you will have for it to be processed.

For cover letter, here is a version of mine for AOS (you do not need for DSP-122 to KCC). I have edited it for you, in fact my attorney has written it but our case is a little complicated, so I have removed those sections. Please also note that the list of documents will be more or less different for you, depending on your situation and background. Please also note that we did not apply for EAD and AP, so this letter does not include anything regarding them. This letter is just only for I-485 filings (send me an email if you need more help):

November X, 2007

Via Certified Mail

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

DIVERSITY LOTTERY 2008 ADJUSTMENT

APPLICATIONS MUST BE ADJUDICATED BY
SEPTEMBER 30, 2008

RE: Applications to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status - I-485

Principal Applicant: FirstName LastName, DOB dd/mm/yyyy
Derivative Applicants: FirstName LastName, DOB dd/mm/yyyy (spouse)

To Whom It May Concern:

We are writing in connection with our application for adjustment of status based on my selection in the DV-2008 lottery.

The following forms and supporting documents are attached:

1. Filing fees in the amount of $2,020.00;

FOR PRINCIPAL APPLICANT FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME:

2. Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, and two passport-style photos;
3. Copy of Diversity Lottery Notification Letter;
4. Copy of October 2007 Visa Bulletin showing availability of visa;
5. Form G-325A, Biographic Information of Principal Applicant with photo;
6. Form I-693, Sealed Medical Examination;
7. Copy of Principal Applicant’s passport;
8. Translated Copy of Birth Certificate of Principal Applicant;
9. Translated Copy of educational credentials;
10. Translated Copy of Marriage Certificate between Principal Applicant and Derivative Applicant;
11. Copies of prior approval notices of H-4 status;

FOR DERIVATIVE APPLICANT FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME:

12. Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, and two passport-style photos;
13. Copy of Diversity Lottery Notification Letter sent to his/her spouse;
14. Copy of October 2007 Visa Bulletin showing availability of visa;
15. Form G-325A, Biographic Information of Derivative Applicant with photo;
16. Form I-693, Sealed Medical Examination;
17. Copy of Applicant’s passport;
18. Translated Copy of Birth Certificate of Applicant;
19. Copy of Marriage Certificate between Principal Applicant and Derivative Applicant;
20. Copy of educational credentials;
21. Copies of prior approval notices of H1-Bs petitions for various employers;

Mr./Mrs. LAST_NAME and his/her spouse are eligible to adjust their status because their diversity lottery number is 2008XX0000XXXX, for which there is a visa currently available pursuant to the October 2007 Visa Bulletin. All the family members entered the U.S. with inspection, thus they are eligible for adjustment of status.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at (XXX) XXX-XXXX if you require further information. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Very truly yours,

FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME

By:
FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME

Enclosures
Cc: FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME of your spouse

AOS - interview

Anyone who has done AOS in the past.. Please share your experience with types of interview questions thay they ask so that it will help all of us who have applied for AOS this time.

Hi Lucky2008winner,

You only need to send DSP-122 to KCC, indicating that you are going to file AOS. You do NOT need to send anything else to Kentucky; no other form, no photo. Plus, you do not need to wait for the second letter. Do not waste time since your number is current, send your wife's and your AOS applications to Chicago as soon as possible.

Answers for your questions (to be clear):
1. No, you DO NOT need to send photo to KCC; you need photos for AOS applications.
2. You do not need the second letter. The second letter will only tell you how to file AOS. You can find that information on USCIS web site.
3. Just send the DSP-122 to KCC but it is just to inform them that you are going to file AOS, and they will hold your file at KCC for USCIS (otherwise, they would send it to your home country if you asked for CP). After you file your AOS and USCIS begins to process it, USCIS will ask KCC for your file. You do not need to do anything for that communication either, it's going to be transparent to you.
4. No, you do not need to wait for anything. Send your DV fee to PA, and start preparing your AOS files right now.

As I said, do not wait for anything. AOS may take long time to be processed, so the earlier you file AOS apps, the more time you will have for it to be processed.

For cover letter, here is a version of mine for AOS (you do not need for DSP-122 to KCC). I have edited it for you, in fact my attorney has written it but our case is a little complicated, so I have removed those sections. Please also note that the list of documents will be more or less different for you, depending on your situation and background. Please also note that we did not apply for EAD and AP, so this letter does not include anything regarding them. This letter is just only for I-485 filings (send me an email if you need more help):

November X, 2007

Via Certified Mail

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

DIVERSITY LOTTERY 2008 ADJUSTMENT

APPLICATIONS MUST BE ADJUDICATED BY
SEPTEMBER 30, 2008

RE: Applications to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status - I-485

Principal Applicant: FirstName LastName, DOB dd/mm/yyyy
Derivative Applicants: FirstName LastName, DOB dd/mm/yyyy (spouse)

To Whom It May Concern:

We are writing in connection with our application for adjustment of status based on my selection in the DV-2008 lottery.

The following forms and supporting documents are attached:

1. Filing fees in the amount of $2,020.00;

FOR PRINCIPAL APPLICANT FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME:

2. Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, and two passport-style photos;
3. Copy of Diversity Lottery Notification Letter;
4. Copy of October 2007 Visa Bulletin showing availability of visa;
5. Form G-325A, Biographic Information of Principal Applicant with photo;
6. Form I-693, Sealed Medical Examination;
7. Copy of Principal Applicant’s passport;
8. Translated Copy of Birth Certificate of Principal Applicant;
9. Translated Copy of educational credentials;
10. Translated Copy of Marriage Certificate between Principal Applicant and Derivative Applicant;
11. Copies of prior approval notices of H-4 status;

FOR DERIVATIVE APPLICANT FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME:

12. Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, and two passport-style photos;
13. Copy of Diversity Lottery Notification Letter sent to his/her spouse;
14. Copy of October 2007 Visa Bulletin showing availability of visa;
15. Form G-325A, Biographic Information of Derivative Applicant with photo;
16. Form I-693, Sealed Medical Examination;
17. Copy of Applicant’s passport;
18. Translated Copy of Birth Certificate of Applicant;
19. Copy of Marriage Certificate between Principal Applicant and Derivative Applicant;
20. Copy of educational credentials;
21. Copies of prior approval notices of H1-Bs petitions for various employers;

Mr./Mrs. LAST_NAME and his/her spouse are eligible to adjust their status because their diversity lottery number is 2008XX0000XXXX, for which there is a visa currently available pursuant to the October 2007 Visa Bulletin. All the family members entered the U.S. with inspection, thus they are eligible for adjustment of status.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at (XXX) XXX-XXXX if you require further information. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Very truly yours,

FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME

By:
FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME

Enclosures
Cc: FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME of your spouse
advwinner08,

Thanks a billion for this information, my wife and I are preparing our DV2008 AOS paper and this email been a great help, but in our case we will file for work permission and Travel Documents. We are very busy here since we already filed for I-485 through employment based GC.

But we are in a big miss of responding to 2nd RFE, we will apply for this DV2008 just in case our I-485 application will denied so we have second chance.

My question, do you have the direct link where you check if your DV2008 for your counter is current?

Thank again,

RMS2003

RMS2003, your case is just like mine. I was confused if I should go ahead with the DV when the number is current. My EAD is card is on the way, but heard nothing about AP, I-140/I-485 (checked the receipt numbers on USCIS website, but get an error message instead..)

Glistenpearls,

Which web site can you check to see if your DV2008 number is current? Please provide the link.

Also are you doing the CP not the AOS? Good luck anyway,

RMS2003

rms2003,

go to this web page and click on "Current Bulletin" link, scroll down to find DV visa number cut-off info.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

Regarding applying for AOS for DV while EB based AOS pending, read my earlier post (on previous page). I am in the same situation and we have received our EADs as well. We have filed AOS under DV recently without withdrawing the EB based AOS. you may find my earlier post helpful.

We had an infopass today to ask how best to send on our missing I-485s, so just sent those by Fedex.

Officer confirmed my wife's name check and background check is now clear, so they may schedule an interview soon. He mentioned that in some cases, where good, full supporting documentation has been provided that they don't bother with an interview and just approve the case. Now that would be good!

How DO you KNow your name check is clear

Hi, Just did my fingerprint today. Wanted to find out how you can check if your name check is clear. How many days do you have to wait after you do your finger print to check that. THanks

I think some people call an FBI number (not sure of the details) but since we had an Infopass appointment anyhow today, we asked there and they pulled up the results on the computer. Very quick since Biometrics were only taken on Saturday.

Hi, Just did my fingerprint today. Wanted to find out how you can check if your name check is clear. How many days do you have to wait after you do your finger print to check that. THanks