• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

osaa and the others, how long did it take for you to receive the receipt from DoS? I didn't get anything from them yet after 25 days

Hi ruxy,
my took a longer time too because i had changed my address so they had to mail me a new one and that caused some delay.

Call KCC, yes, it is only your money that goes to US DOS they send your receipt to KCC for them to mail it to you...that was what i was told when i called KCC. so go ahead and call them with your Dv number and birthday. you might be put on hold for sometime but it is worth it.

call them and let me know what they said.
all the best.

fingerprints & KCC receipt

Hi:

I got today (29th Oct) both the biometrics appointment (papers got in Chicago on the 6th Oct) and the DOS receipt from PA (papers got in PA also on the 6th of Oct).

Have to go for Biometrics on the 23rd Nov.

Dan

Hi,

Do we have to include a copy of DV fee receipt in AOS application package to be sent to Chicago?

I think it is not required for filing AOS, but we have to present it at interview. We sent the DV fee to DOS PA address recently, and we don't want to wait for it for filing AOS on November 1st when our number becomes current.

Thanks

osaa, thanks a lot. I sent an email to KCC yesterday about the receipt and I got a replay today (!!) that they sent the letter on Oct 25 so I should get it this week sometime, which is really cool. I got so worried about it...
ps: I got it today!!
pps: advwinner08: yes, you need to include a copy of the DoS receipt in the package that you send to Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
ruxy, why do you think it has to be included in AOS package to Chicago as well? The instruction from KCC does not say a copy of it has to be sent to Chicago; it says it has to be presented to USCIS at the time of your adjustment interview. If it does not have to be included in AOS package, I want to send the package right on Nov 1st.

Anybody else to comment on this?

thanks!

I think it will be good if you can include a copy of it, but you're right, it's not written anywhere that you have to.

All that means is that they expect you to have been LEGAL.
Proof of valid I-94 is necessary, copy of which will be included in your AOS package.
No need to visit your local USCIS office for that, I only called them at the Customer Service Number.

Thanks BarbaraLamb for all the help that you have provided on this forum. I am waiting for the interview letter now. I am wondering what type of questions do they ask in the interview. Me and my wife have applied for AOS. If you can give some idea, that will really help.
If you have other pdf files that will help, please let me know.

Thanks.

We had our medicals today, a blood test, an X-ray and 2 shots (tetanus and hepatitis B). We had the rest of them when we came to US, so that was it for us. The results will be ready on Friday. I don't know how much it was, they didn't ask for money today, maybe when we get the envelope at the end of the week. Anyway, one less thing to worry about :)

ruxy, when we got medical exam in early July for EB based AOS filing, we paid for more than eleven hundreds and they did not accept insurance at that time. However, I had asked for an itemized bill, and I filed a claim for insurance payment. The insurance had paid for it with discount, and sent the payment to medical clinic directly; then, I got back almost all money I paid for from medical clinic. Medical clinics overcharge and then hope that you would claim your money back through insurance.

advwinner - $1,100?! That is dreadful - where are you living? I am in Chicago and did some phoning around, prices varied a lot. We finally went somewhere in the city center and had it all done for $120 each (minus vaccinations because we had them all - but even with them, it would not have gone over $200 per person).

Re fee payment to USCIS:

1. Did people use a personal check or bank check? (I figure some used personal check because you can see when they are cashed)

2. For marrieds - did you send one or two checks??

stressedstudent, my wife and I are living in Seattle, and at the time I called several such places and they all asked for at least $250 per person (no vaccinations). However, we needed to get many vaccinations since we did not have any documents to prove that we indeed had them from our home country. Vaccinations added a lot to the bill. Vaccinations are expensive. Fortunately, we got all money back except a $50 for a deductible.

Yes, I am going to use a personal check too. But I am not sure whether it needs to be two separate checks or a single one. Anybody else to comment on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
advwinner08, I think a single one will work...I used a single one for both of us to pay the DoS fee and it was ok.

ruxy, right, I sent a single one for DOS DV fee, but I am wondering for the AOS fee. Did you send one check to Chicago too?

ruxy, right, I sent a single one for DOS DV fee, but I am wondering for the AOS fee. Did you send one check to Chicago too?

We sent 3 checks. One for the I-485, and one each for the Biometrics ($80 each).

we did this as we did not know if I (as spouse) also had to send in $80 biometrics. They returned my $80 check a few days later saying I didn't need biometrics. I still don't know why not as I though spouse always had to. My wife called USCIS yesterday who confrimed that I should but could see on the file a note saying I didnt need them. They just advised me to go along with my wife to her Biometrics appointment (this Saturday) and see if they can explain why I don't need them.

I already have I-485 pending and I won the DV2008?

:confused::confused:Hi Savy,

Thanks for this great posting. I wanted to ask you if you can give me any answer to this question:

Do I need to pay $1010 for me and $1010 for my wife, or is it only for the principle main applicant (winner of DV)?

I should have send in my documents long time ago, but I waited because I already filed my I485 through my employment, but since I got my 2nd RFE (Request for Evidence) and there is a chance that I might not get denied therefore we decided to send our DV 2007 as a back up.

I have been in the USA for 13 years went from F-1 to H-1 to now renew H-1 (will expire in 1/1/2009) to pending I-485. My I-40 already approved in 2006.

RMS2003:confused:

I received a checklist for I-485 Adjustment of Status Package for DV-Lottery Winner when I went to the local USCIS office. I am copying the same here so that it will be easy for all those who have not sent their document yet.

1. I-485 fee
2. I-765 (Optional)
3. 2 Photos if no temporary resident card needed at time of approval or 4 photos if temporary resident card needed at time of approval

ATTACH TO I-485 IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER:

1. I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens seeking AOS
2. Photocopy of your govt. issued birth certificate. If in foreign language, include full english translation
3. Photocopy of your govt. issued marraige certificate. If in foreign language, include full english translation
4. Evidence of required education or work experience. If in foreign language, include full english translation
5. Letter of employment or evidence of financial support or I-864, Affidavit of Support (eg. letter from employer and last year income tax return)
6. Photocopy of your entire passport and documentation showing current status in US
7. Proof of maintaining valid status while in US. (eg. I-797, I-20A/B or I-20M/N, I-94 etc)
8. If applicable, certified copies of police certificates, court or prison records and military records from your home country. If in foreign language, include full english translation
9. A completed and signed Form G-325 A (Not required for those age 14 and under or those over age 79)
10. Photocopy of diversity-immigrant visa approval notice from National Visa Center
11. A photocopy of receipt showing payment of Department of State Diversity Immigration processing fee must be submitted at time of interview
12. I-765, Applicaton for Employment Authorization - Fill out and submit this form only if applying for employment.

This is checklist that I followed when I submitted the document for myself and my wife. Hope this will help others. In my case, I made two separate files one for myself and one for my wife and kept both the files in the same envelope and sent to Chicago address. I havent made any cover letter.

:confused::confused:Hi Savy,

Thanks for this great posting. I wanted to ask you if you can give me any answer to this question:

Do I need to pay $1010 for me and $1010 for my wife, or is it only for the principle main applicant (winner of DV)?

I should have send in my documents long time ago, but I waited because I already filed my I485 through my employment, but since I got my 2nd RFE (Request for Evidence) and there is a chance that I might not get denied therefore we decided to send our DV 2007 as a back up.

I have been in the USA for 13 years went from F-1 to H-1 to now renew H-1 (will expire in 1/1/2009) to pending I-485. My I-40 already approved in 2006.

RMS2003:confused:

I was in the same situation. My I-140 was approved in 2005, my I-485 had been pending since 2005. We decided to keep the I-485 for the employment case and pursue CP for the DV2007 case. We are now permanent residents based on the DV2007 case.

I read somewhere that only one I-485 can be filed at a time. So, you may have to withdraw the other one at some point if you want to do AOS for the DV2008 case. The advantage of becoming a permanent resident through the DV program is that it is not tied to your employer, so you will be free to do whatever you like in terms of accepting other employment.

Personal Checks for AOS

Re fee payment to USCIS:

1. Did people use a personal check or bank check? (I figure some used personal check because you can see when they are cashed)

2. For marrieds - did you send one or two checks??

After consulting with lawyer we payed with personal checks. I sent one check per family member: $1010 for adults and $600 for children (children do not do biometric if under 14 years old).

Our medical costs were $115 per family member for the paper work (we live in bay area, CA).