• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

Hello again,

I am getting ready to ship out the package to Chicago. I still have whole bunch of questions, things that are not clear to me.
I would appreciate advice very much - PTA, stressedstudent, ruxy, savy17, or anyone else, please, if you would be so kind, from your own experience...

1.Address: where should I send it? I have:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

I remember reading somewhere that there are 2 addresses, one if you use UPS, DHL etc. and the other is for US mail. Which one is the one above? Which method of sending it would you suggest?

2. The forms which are required seem to be: I-465, G-325A, I-765, I-134, I-693 and its supplement (the medical form and the additional page for it). Am I missing something? I-693 is provided by the doctor, so this one is fine....But, where should I get the rest, the most recent editions of them?

3. Do I need to schedule an Infopass at my local office before I send the package? Maybe I should go there to pick up the forms?

4.I went through PTA's (I think beta verison of) list of documents to be included....I have few questions:
-should I send a copy, or the original of highschool diploma and its translation?
-I have BS from an US university-what should I send regarding it: a copy of diploma, or should I order official transcript from the university?
-enrollment letter (I am a PhD student currently): do you mean, e.g. letter from office of international students, saying that I am maintaining full time (F1) status, and an unoffical transcript, or am I missing the point? Anything from my advisor?
-birth certificate, police records (clean) from back home (+translations): originals or copies?
-I am not getting paid enough (I bet there are more PhD students here, who are in the same boat), so I do not have a mountain of money in my bank account. Just connecting month with month...What should I do regarding that affidavit of support? Is this really required for someone in my situation? Also, I have only heard of form I-864 which is called Affidavit of support. Is this the form in question? I did not see it in PTA's list of documents. Clearly, when I get a PhD (may 2008), I will not live off of social security:)
- what is from I-134 for?
-I-765 is for EAD, correct? Do I need this? I will graduate in may 2008. My number will be current in january 2008. What does EAD (employment authorization) mean, and who needs it? What is AP? What document has to be filled out for AP? I do not plan to travel outside US until I am done with this AOS procedure, so I guess I don't need AP?
-I have all of my award letters, for each academic year/semester of my PhD. studies, which state the amount I received from my university for tuition and fees and as salary, as a RA/TA. Should I send copies of these and bank statement instead of affidavit of support? Or should I get someone to be my sponsor (which would be difficult to do, because it is basically a contract saying that the sponsor will support me if I fail to make living on my own)?
-cover letter: yes or no?
-pictures: 2 or 4?
-tex returns: do you mean W2 copy C and copy 2? If yes, should I send copies of these or the originals, and if no, what should I send? I do not have the actual tax return forms which I had to fill out and send each year (nor the copies of them, except for 2006).
-finally 1010$ in one piece, or spilt up somehow? Money order or cashier check? I heard that money orders are good for $500 and less only....

Wow, lots of questions....I hope you guys can help me. I plan to send the package on Dec. 31 (mon), if anything is open on that day....I think 28th (friday) might be too early (?).

Thank you very much

Best Regards
Nebo
Hi Nebo,

I can answer your question#3:

3. Do I need to schedule an Info pass at my local office before I send the package? Maybe I should go there to pick up the forms?

My wife made multiple info pass appointments with Chicago Immigration office downtown and we got a huge package for AOS for our DV2008, but we are going now for CP instead for many reasons (our Case number is very high AS00012xxx).

Nebo Make sure you request to talk to a supervisor that can explain to you all the forms and where you can send it to which address. (It is really easy).

I am going also there on Dec 21 for info pass to check on my FBI name check. I already have another I-485 bending application that is based on my employment.

Good luck

Peace

RMS2003

Dear All

I am a new memeber in this forum. I am the winner of DV2008 and according to visa bulletin my Cut off number will be current february, 2008. My present situation is in USA that my greencard(I-485-employment based) application is pending from july 2007. Now my question is that:

1) Can I apply I-485 again through DV process? If I apply february 2007 then when it will be finished?

2) I already submitted my Bio-metrics(fingerprint) and medical form in my previously filed I-485. Now I have to submit again or it will be merge?

3) Is there any process that I can say USCIS That I am the DV winner please speedup my previously filed I-485. This way I can save $1010+$1010+$375+$375 this for myself and also my spouse.

Anybody in this same situation. Please advise....

Time to send papers

Hi,
I am working with H1 visa, my number is AS6XXX, will be current in February, when should I send the papers for AOS?
May I know the address to send and checklist of forms/documents, please?
BR

Paul

Dear Mr. Paul

I think your case and my case is quite similar. My cutoff number also AS6XXX which will be current in february. As my understanding you can send AOS package January 30,31 onward. They will accept your AOS from February 01, 2008. By the way did you pay the DOS fee?

thanks from SAHA

Dear All

I am a new memeber in this forum. I am the winner of DV2008 and according to visa bulletin my Cut off number will be current february, 2008. My present situation is in USA that my greencard(I-485-employment based) application is pending from july 2007. Now my question is that:

1) Can I apply I-485 again through DV process? If I apply february 2007 then when it will be finished?

2) I already submitted my Bio-metrics(fingerprint) and medical form in my previously filed I-485. Now I have to submit again or it will be merge?

3) Is there any process that I can say USCIS That I am the DV winner please speedup my previously filed I-485. This way I can save $1010+$1010+$375+$375 this for myself and also my spouse.

Anybody in this same situation. Please advise....
Saharony,

We have the same case like yours, my employment based I-485 application is bending and I won the DV2008.

you asked:

1) Can I apply I-485 again through DV process? If I apply February 2007 then when it will be finished?

My question:
Are you doing AOS or CP?

In our case we are doing CP. If you are doing AOS, I read somewhere on the message board that USCIS might ask you to bring any receipt notice or documentation from your I-485 employment base for them to look it up during the interview. But I am not an immigration lawyer neither an expert please consulate with a lawyer to be on the safe side.

Good luck,

Peace,
RMS2003

Last edited by a moderator:
Please let me know how to find list of winners of DV Lottery applied in 2006 of 2008. Any Web site or link to find individuals won ?

Thanks Mr. Saha.
I am going to send the DOS check tomoroow.
By the way,m what are forms and documents you are preparing?

BR

Paul

Dear Mr. Paul

Could you confirm me when we need this DOS fee receipt? Is it need when we send package to USCIS or during interview?

thanks from

Saha

No, DV fee receipt is NOT needed to be sent to USCIS (Chicago) with along AOS package. You have to have it with you during interview. Call KCC if you are in doubt.

saharony,

We have been in the same situation, a pending EB based AOS filed under July bulletin by my employer and my wife is a winner whose number became current in November.

In short, we have filed another AOS application that is completely independent of the pending one, which means we sent all documents as if we hadn't applied before, however, we put the A number (of the EB AOS) in a field on I-485 form where it asks whether you applied for green card in the past.

1) Yes, you can file another AOS for DV. We filed in early November, and now our interview is scheduled for February 7th, which means it takes about three months for us. However, we do not know the result of Name Check yet, which may delay the visa stamp.

2) I think applications do not merge. We have sent all documents again, including medicals. I called the medical clinic for another sealed official copy of the medicals, and they gave us them with some expense. I'd suggest you send all documents again, do not expect anything smart from USCIS.

Although we sent checks for the biometrics and the checks were cached by USCIS, we have not received any letter for biometrics. We received the interview letter. We assume that it is because we did biometrics for EB based AOS. I think we may receive a refund check.

3) I spent very much time and energy to have USCIS processed our EB based AOS application for DV, but I could not get any result although KCC told me a few times it should be the way for people having an AOS already pending. My attorneys had warned me that even if this would be possible, it might not be timely. We had sent USCIS a letter regarding this, but even did not get any response.

My impression is that filing another AOS is the best way to get things done quickly. Expecting pending AOS to be used on DV ground may cause you to miss the DV processing deadline, given the fact that USCIS had received hundreds of thousands AOS applications during July bulletin, they might not even notice you sent a letter and requested AOS be processed for DV.

By the way, you have to pay for DV fee ($375 per person) in either case, no matter whether USCIS uses your already pending AOS or not, because it is specific to DV, not paid by your employer.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much advwinner08

for your informatic mail. I will appreciate if you provide me any link or checklist of documents which I have to include in my DV based AOS package including necessary form.

Agian thank you very much.

m_power2002,
first of all, ALL the documents should be copies of the original ones. you can find a lot of answers to your questions (address, fees, etc) if you read this very carefully http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf I'm a Phd student also, not a lot of money as you said...but I think we'll be fine from this point of view. Yes, include a cover letter (just provide a list with everything you included in the package--there is an example at this topic) and 2 photos. I used USPS to send the package, express mail, it arrived in 3 days...more expensive and fast FedEx or UPS, but I didn't use those.

Ruxy, or anyone who knows,
does that mean that I should not include the affidavit of support form?
Also, how about the tax return issue: are W2s of past 4 years ok?
And how about education info: is diploma of BS sufficient or should I order a offical transcript?
Thanks a bunch to all!
Cheers
Nebo

Interview appointment just arrived

OMG
Four envelopes waited in mail box today. It is interview time :)
Ranging from 9am to 10:30am (30 min interval) the whole family is scheduled to arrive, including the toddlers.
The even bigger surprise is that interview is scheduled for 1 week from today!!!! WOW - I have never expected that. My spouse has to cancel business trip ...
The list of "Items to bring at the interview" is endless:
Valid photo
Passport
Original of copies of photocopies submitted with the application
Original+copy of marriage certificate
Original+copy of all dissolution of prior marriages
Original copy of birth certificate
Children birth certificate
Current employment letter
copies of 3 years income tax return + W-2s
Notarized I-134 + supporting documents
Original copy of Visa fee receipt from National Visa Center
I-639 - if not submitted with I-485
Any document related to the application and the benefit being sought.

Now it is time to wait for the interview ...

Congratulations Bellabum!
Really wow, that was so quick. Which USCIS office is yours, if I may ask?
Also, did you include the affidavit of support in your original package? I don't have a sponsor, but I am a PhD student, so I hope that letters from my university stating that I work as RA/TA at the department, will substitute the sponsor. Also hope that they are asking you to bring it along since you already included it in packge....
If there is anyone who excluded the affidavit from the original package and still got through the interview, please share your experimence.
Thanks!
Cheers
Nebo

For those who need past tax returns (forms 1040 including W2s), you need to fill out a form 4506 which can be found at IRS webpage. They charge 39$ per year requested and it takes roughly 60 days for it to be processed and for returns to be sent back to you.
Cheers
Nebo

Nebo,
I did not submit Affidavit of Support in the original package.
Actually I am clueless as to what to do. we are breaking our head to to ask to fill the info for us ("support" us). We both work and submitted letters from our employers, I submitted copies from our bank account - but USCIS wants more ;)
I will update as to what we decided to do.

Congratulations Bellabum!
Really wow, that was so quick. Which USCIS office is yours, if I may ask?
Also, did you include the affidavit of support in your original package? I don't have a sponsor, but I am a PhD student, so I hope that letters from my university stating that I work as RA/TA at the department, will substitute the sponsor. Also hope that they are asking you to bring it along since you already included it in packge....
If there is anyone who excluded the affidavit from the original package and still got through the interview, please share your experimence.
Thanks!
Cheers
Nebo