• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV qualified passport but unqualified country of birth

pritmaan

Hello
I am hoping someone can answer my question please.
I was born in India, moved to France when I was a teenager so i have a French passport and currently living in UK, i do not hold any other nationality e.g. British
I would like to apply for the green card lottery but India is not qualified nor is UK but French can apply fine.
my question is can i apply for i only have French nationality even though my country of birth does not quality?
many thanks in advanced
pp

Eligibility is based on country of birth only, not nationality. If you’re married to someone from an eligible country, you may be able to apply and cross charge to your spouse’s country of birth - assuming of course your spouse meets the educational/work experience requirements if selected.

My wife was born in China but she qualified to apply for the lottery (not that she was selected) due to her NZ passport since she is no longer a Chinese national.

My wife was born in China but she qualified to apply for the lottery (not that she was selected) due to her NZ passport since she is no longer a Chinese national.

Xarthisius's response is correct. If your wife had been selected (and not been married to an eligible spouse) she would have been disqualified regardless of current nationality or giving up another. The rules are crystal clear in the DV instructions.

Yep! Like the two responses above - your wife was eligible to apply on the basis of being married to you, NOT because she carried a NZ passport. If she had been selected, both of you would have needed to prove you meet the educational or job experience requirements in order for her selection to meet with approval. That is cross charging to your country of birth.

thanks for the quick reply, that goes my dream of moving to US without much money : /
Too bad, but if it makes you feel any better, the DV lottery IS basically just a dream. Chances of winning are VERY slim...

If you're still single, you can try to keep an eye out for DV-eligible partners, hehe. Just make sure to ask them where they were BORN!